Throwback Thursday: The time Randall Cobb beat Auburn

When was the last time Kentucky beat Auburn? October 18, 2009. It shouldn’t come as a surprise that it was Randall Cobb who led the Cats over the Tigers 21-14 at Jordan Hare Stadium, giving UK its first win over Auburn since 1966.

Cobb ran the the ball in from 4 yards out with 3:17 to play to put the Cats up by 7, his third game-winning touchdown of the 2009 season thus far. He set up that score with a 61-yard run two plays earlier. Cobb being Cobb, he did it all that night, rushing 12 times for 109 yards mostly on direct snaps from the Wildcat.

That game also featured the heroics of Will Fidler, who replaced Morgan Newton in the second half to help mount UK’s comeback. Fidler tied the score with 6:29 to play on a 2-yard touchdown run. Derrick Locke also had a big game, running 19 times for 126 yards.

Let’s relive the win with these blurry highlights:

A year later, Kentucky almost had Auburn’s number again at Commonwealth Stadium, but the Tigers won on a last-second field goal on their way to a National Championship. I won’t torture you with highlights from that, but Randall Cobb turned in another incredible performance, scoring three touchdowns: two rushing and one passing. Let’s just watch his plays:

10 Comments for Throwback Thursday: The time Randall Cobb beat Auburn

1. KevinM
    10:15 am October 15, 2015 Permalink

Thanks Tyler for the great memory.

That I believe was the high point of Joker’s coaching career.

2. CatsBy80
    10:19 am October 15, 2015 Permalink

not that this is some kind of revelation, but man that guy is a heck of an athlete. i forgot just how great he was out of that wildcat formation.

3. DACats86
    10:23 am October 15, 2015 Permalink

Was there. Great win. My favorite “away” stadium to go to UK games. BTW, Joker was OC for this game, not HC. UK also beat UGA on the road that year.

4. Jimbob Bautista
    10:29 am October 15, 2015 Permalink

Whatever happened to Derrick Locke? He was a heck of an RB…I can’t believe he wasn’t good enough for the NFL.

• BNClay
      11:19 am October 15, 2015 Permalink

Failed physical due to neck injury after being signed as undrafted free agent. I think his size is what kept from making a team after that. 180 lb backs just don’t stand up the punishment of the NFL too long.

5. buzzard
    10:55 am October 15, 2015 Permalink

Cobb was incredible. I’ll have on my #18 jersey tonight. GO CATS!

6. UKBlue1!
    11:47 am October 15, 2015 Permalink

Ole Joker should have given the ball to Cobb against UT and he would have beat UT in 2009.

7. bluegrass
    12:25 pm October 15, 2015 Permalink

one of best moments in my sport waching lifetime of 36 years was day the GREEN BAY PACKERS drafted Randall Cobb at pick number 60. 59 times teams passed on the greatest offensive player in Kentucky football history. I knew without a doubt in my mind he would be a superstar in the NFL and here he is.

8. Alex
    12:39 pm October 15, 2015 Permalink

Cats scored 21 points in TD runs from three different QBs. You don’t see that very often.

• memphis wildcat
      1:35 pm October 15, 2015 Permalink

Hope we don’t see it tonight by the visitors…Can we play already?