Three field goals cannot win you a football game

@UKFootball

@UKFootball

@UKFootball

As great as Austin MacGinnis is, field goals do not win you football games. I can’t remember a time when that has happened because it doesn’t normally happen. A team has to score touchdowns in order to win a football game. And that did not happen for the Cats last night.

The execution from the offense during some parts of the game was not good, plain and simple. Inconsistency from your quarterback is not something that can happen when you are fighting to end a 28-year losing streak.

I’m definitely missing balls that I usually hit and there is not excuse for that. We have to execute better. I have to execute better if we want to consistently win. I didn’t execute consistently tonight,” Towles said.

The inconsistent play from the offense that included overthrown balls, dropped passes and quarterback sacks were huge momentum killers. When you are playing a team like Florida, or any other SEC team for that matter, you can’t afford to have those things happen.

The most important drive came in the fourth quarter on Kentucky’s second last drive of the game. Kentucky was looking to take the lead (14-9) after the defense held Florida to a punt. However, the seven-play drive included only one first down, three incomplete passes and only a gain of 25 yards. On a drive that Kentucky absolutely needed to score, the offense had to punt the ball.

Many people want to put the blame on Towles, but you have to remember that Florida’s defensive line dominate our offensive line. There were many times when Towles did not even have the opportunity to look down the field before a Florida player had a hold of him. Dropped passes from the receivers do not help Towles’ case either. There were a few passes that went right through the hands of our receivers that could have been difference makers in the game.

The offense needs to execute more consistently next week against Missouri and for the rest of the season or we could be in trouble. Inconsistent play from the offense was one of the reasons Kentucky lost its last six games of the season last year. Personally, I would not like to see that happen again this year.

As Bill Belichick would say, “we’re on to Missouri”.

Article written by Kindsey Bernhard

Lover of dogs, sports and beer. @kindseybernhard

34 Comments for Three field goals cannot win you a football game

1. jdarren1963
    12:11 pm September 20, 2015 Permalink

Glad you mentioned the O-Line. Yes, Towles didn’t play very well. But a lot of that was because he didn’t have a chance because Florida beat our O-Line on a regular basis. Our offensive line lost the game last night. It doesn’t take a football genius to know that. Our O-Line had better step it up because if they don’t, it won’t matter who our QB is, we’re not gonna score a lot of points going forward.

2. DesignatedDrinker
    12:28 pm September 20, 2015 Permalink

Off topic, but someone slap the person in charge of the volume on the speakers. When she introduces people in the end zones between breaks it’s like a kid screaming in a megaphone. And the music selection is awesome, but too loud for the system they have. Bass sounds awful and the songs sound distorted. Seems like everyone notices this except the people in charge.

• intheshadow
      2:26 pm September 20, 2015 Permalink

Thank you for mentioning this. Sitting in CWS and having to listen to the distorted and cheap sounding noise coming form the PA system is awful. I brought earplugs last night and wore them most of the game.

3. Chris
    12:31 pm September 20, 2015 Permalink

Towles’ quotes are interesting. Because the reality is he doesn’t normally hit those throws. The line and receivers were bad but they’re not consistently bad game after game. The only position with consistently below average play is quarterback. If Barker really isn’t better than Towles, then I’m afraid we may have another Morgan Newton, Ryan Mossakowski situation. Two heralded QB recruits but neither of them ever turn out to be good.

• fatbrat
      12:45 pm September 20, 2015 Permalink

Towles consistently throws behind receivers even when he has time to throw. Yes he did have some drops but he missed more open targets. Not one TD in six quarters. I think that Barker should at least get a chance to show what he can do. It sure won’t be any worse!

• JIm
      12:58 pm September 20, 2015 Permalink

I agree, if Barker isn’t more accurate than Towles has shown then we are waiting for the HS QB from Ohio that we just signed… The O-Line was getting push at the end of the game… Some of it is on our play calls, we need to throw quick hitters to the outside to make sure the D-Line and Linebackers have to run to the sidelines instead of just putting their ears back and rushing upfield…. Look at Ole Miss’s offense against Bama last night… but the QB can’t be overthrowing the receivers like that… Ohio State is rotating QB’s and their 2 QB’s won a Natl Championship and the other QB was Big 10 Offensive MVP but we can’t sub out Towles??

• Fresh
      1:14 pm September 20, 2015 Permalink

Towles has no calmess or composure about him in the pocket. I now he wants it but he really just isn’t good enough to get the job done. It’s the same thing every game “I missed throws that I usually hit.” Towles only hits recievers when their wide open, and I’ve yet to see him thread the needle against a good defense like Florida.

4. Mark Wallace
    12:40 pm September 20, 2015 Permalink

Born and raised right here in Kentucky and my feelings today are very similar to how they have always been for the past forty years. Another UK football disappointment. We are still a bottom of the SEC team. A better bottom of the SEC team , but still the bottom. Sorry, but I’ve been baited and switched too many times to believe anything else.

Here’s is what I see. Missouri is a must win game. If we don’t win I predict no bowl and we also lose to Louisville.

What I really hate is that we always try to come up with excuses to downplay our weak play. Our offense was anemic yesterday. We had no run or pass game. Towels has played one half of great football at South Carolina. Props to the D yesterday holding Florida to 14. Correct me if I’m wrong but wasn’t our D supposed to be suspect all preseason and offense going to put up points?

Please, please, please CATS I want you to prove me wrong. Be the team we all hope and want you to be.

• Dave n Lex
      2:31 pm September 20, 2015 Permalink

I too have been going to UK football since 1962 (Stoll Field) and don’t know when the official UK color changed from UK (royal) Blue to a ugly faded sun bleached almost North Carolina blue and I hope we can afford to get some new uniforms in UK blue. I don’t even feel like I am watching a UK team anymore. No respect for tradition!

• Cats paw
      2:33 pm September 20, 2015 Permalink

You’re spot on with your comments Mark! The homers are so used to two win seasons they think a 5 or 6 win season makes Stoops some type hero. I cannot believe that coach making 3.5 mill/yr could possibly coach a worse game in the final 2 minutes. My 13 yr old son kept commenting how crazy it was to allow the clock to run down to the two minute mark and then call a timeout. Then run a running play with less than a minute to play (allowing the clock to run down).

• Cats paw
      2:57 pm September 20, 2015 Permalink

0-3….

• Cats paw
      3:03 pm September 20, 2015 Permalink

🙂 😉

• Leuther
      3:28 pm September 20, 2015 Permalink

I can relate to most of your comments, but let’s give Stoops and company credit for the vast improvement in the competitiveness of the program since Joker basically left it for dead…

Yes, we are still a bottom SEC team until we prove, on-the-field, otherwise…

• Leuther
      4:04 pm September 20, 2015 Permalink

Its amazing that coach that was given a second, third and fourth chance at Louisville, with Charlie Strong’s recruits, has lost the last 4 games they’ve played….. 😉

• UK Big Board Update
      11:00 pm September 20, 2015 Permalink

Cats paw August 16, 2015 at 6:55 pm | Permalink
      Where do you see this improvement? I think they have had two practices thus far and played zero games! Could it just be in the homers heads? I predict SC by at least 23 points. We shall see who is right!

5. Doug
    12:41 pm September 20, 2015 Permalink

Attendance will be under 50K for Missouri. Been a UK Football fan for decades. Unfortunately this is the same song and dance. Lots of promises about how “we have changed” but we always find a way to lose. This was the year to get Florida and we blew it. I expect Missouri will look much better against us than they did against UConn. If we don’t beat Mizzou I expect another 5-7 season and recruits to start bailing out..

• cig107
      2:07 am September 21, 2015 Permalink

No, it won’t. Attendance will be quite a bit higher than 50k, if not sold out.

You people act as if one loss ruins the season. It doesn’t. Relax. It’s funny how you come out only after a loss though. Most of you are the scum at the bottom of the fanbase. Enjoy being proven wrong.

6. Dudebro
    12:48 pm September 20, 2015 Permalink

Missouri won a game with three field goals

• fakinnomah
      1:13 pm September 20, 2015 Permalink

9 points would lead you to believe that but they actually had a safety and a touchdown.

7. Blue_denim
    12:52 pm September 20, 2015 Permalink

I think we ought to give Barker a series to see if he can move it down the field and maybe inspire the team a little bit. We’re not bad we are right there!! I also firmly believe that Matt Elam has got to be the weirdest looking football player in all of college football

8. JC
    12:59 pm September 20, 2015 Permalink

Yes our OL had trouble with the Florida DL, however, we didn’t make any adjustments. I did not see the SC game but in the ULL and UF games Towles accuracy was very unremarkable and his decision making was slow. He had this trouble last year when we reached the more competitive teams.

He has 15 starts under his belt, but I believe the staff needs to see Barker in game situations. Towles is probably more effective when he feels free to run when in trouble. We had five plays inside their 5yard line and could not get in. New Mexico State and East Carolina scored 13 and 24 points respectively against the UF defense.

Our defense played well last night. Return game needs a lift.

9. wildcat502
    1:00 pm September 20, 2015 Permalink

True Florida`s front 7 were in our backfield all night, but where was the counter plays??? If we have a whole defensive line chasing Towles and the back field covering the receivers, then where was the middle of the field plays. We should have used more screens to try to get Williams, Timmons and Badet in the open field. The play calling was just too vanilla for us to win this game.

10. bosshogg24
    1:04 pm September 20, 2015 Permalink

UK spends 120 million on the stadium but can’t hire someone to call plays! Play calling has killed UK in every game, looks like Stoops hired two duds in a row! 1st and 20 run the ball, 2nd and 19 run, three runs into the middle of the line and punt, a 50 yard pass that has a 5% chance of completion. Football is all about 1st downs where you only need 10 yards. Everybody in the stadium plus the other team knows what UK is going to run next, you must mix it up and surprise the other team, why beat yourselves? How about some quit hitting slants, screen passes, 10 yard passes?

• DerbyDemon
      4:25 pm September 20, 2015 Permalink

Completely agree boss. It’s as if the AD and coach believe if we’ve got a pretty stadium with lots of pretty lights and music, maybe the fans will forget how bad we still suck. As for Missouri, watch for Mauk (sp?) to have an offensive field day, while pretty Patty shakes he hair and continues to say “my bad” to everybody.

11. UKBlue
    1:14 pm September 20, 2015 Permalink

Patrick is a nice kid, but he isn’t nor will he ever be an elite QB. I don’t care what he does in practice because apparently it’s irrelevant since he can’t also do it in games. The kid refusal to throw the ball away when the pocket is collapsing around him & instead taking the sack makes a person shake their head.

When your WR’s can’t catch passes you’ve got a problem. Maybe it’s time the WR’s stopped wearing gloves & go old school just catching the balls with their uncovered hands.

The O Line- that breakfast Patrick bought them, yea he should ask for his money back.

Shannon Dawson play calling, yea he needs to get it together & quickly.

12. From Doormat to Indoor Rug
    1:17 pm September 20, 2015 Permalink

We were just off – the qb, the ol, the playcalling, the wide receivers, all off! The biggest frustration for me is that it didn’t feel like were aggressively getting after them. Like the mentality was let’s keep it close and hope something breaks our way, instead of going for it!

13. Tommy Cats Fan
    1:20 pm September 20, 2015 Permalink

As I life long UK football fan I want offer theses words of wisdom that I remind myself of every Fall: basketball is right around the corner and the totally forgettable football season will soon be, as always, a distant memory and next year… Next year baby… Our football team will be soooooo good. Just you wait and see😉

14. Tej
    1:31 pm September 20, 2015 Permalink

I still think the coaches know more about who should be playing qb than some posters on this site. Do you want the coaches to ignore play in practice? People are quick to blame everything on the qb. I think if Patrick stumbles against Missouri, Barker will get his chance. I hope Patrick hits some short passes and gets into a rhythm. He really had no chance to get that rhythm last night because either Florida’s d-line was in his face or receivers dropped passes. We may see him run more than he has been doing.
    Missouri is an opportunity to get back on track.

• DerbyDemon
      4:27 pm September 20, 2015 Permalink

Absolutely LOVE Towles’ homers on here. If you all cannot tell (or accept) that he SUCKS, you deserve him AND the lousy season in store for UK.

15. kyjohn
    1:35 pm September 20, 2015 Permalink

Looks like there was a reason Holgerson did the offensive play calling at West Virginia while Dawson was there.And Stoops really flubbed by not bringing in Riley from ECU.Riley has been outstanding thus far at Oklahoma.Don’t believe me,look at the Sooners stats from last night.

Looks like Barker will never get a shot at UK because Stoops and company don’t want a qb controversy.

• Redneck Cat Fan
      3:10 pm September 20, 2015 Permalink

exactly.shannen dawson was just paid 500k a year to sit up and watch the game.he really didnt really do nothing while there at WVA really.what a waste mitch and stoopes.

16. Real talk
    3:23 pm September 20, 2015 Permalink

8-24????? Excuses excuses excuses. Towles doesn’t have it. Give barker a shot. A&M Started Kenny hill last year because he was better in practice. Guess who was better in games and took his job mid season? Kyle Allen

17. shelby
    4:32 pm September 20, 2015 Permalink

actually – 3 field goals would have won if the gators hadn’t been given an extremely short field for one of their scores. We would’ve won 9-7

18. Really
    5:27 pm September 20, 2015 Permalink

Didn’t stoops slam his receiving core for the past two years of how weak the group was? Thank you coach for the catches this season. That wasn’t a drop in the end zone. That was a right thru his hands.
    Close doesn’t count except at Kentucky. If you can’t catch the ball you get benched where I coach, but not at UK