Three and One’s Sunday Morning Wakeup

@mattstonephotog

What a game! I woke up this morning smiling like Patrick Towles, still pumped from last night’s stellar win over Missouri. The entire team stepped up to deliver as they washed the foul taste of the Florida game out of Big Blue Nation’s mouth. Towles was the Towles we saw in the beginning of last season. The defense continues to play greater than the sum of its parts. Jojo Kemp came in convinced we were facing South Carolina or something. It was awesome to watch the team respond to the criticism of this past week and set a tone for the remaining 2/3rds of the season.

The Cats beat the Tigers for the first time since they joined up with the SEC. That’s a major step for a program that is trying to make some moves this season and another streak Kentucky has put to bed.

So what does this all mean?

The Cats are in the thick of the SEC East race.

With the most conference games played of anyone in the SEC, the Cats are sitting pretty in the chase for the East crown. Next week Kentucky should get a chance to play some backup guys as they face an FCS opponent in EKU. Georgia on the other hand will be hosting Alabama in a game with major playoff implications followed by a trip to Tennessee. The Florida Gators will host SEC-leading Ole Miss followed by a trip to Missouri. It isn’t outside the realm of possibility to see those teams 2-2 in conference at the end of week 6. Meanwhile, the Cats have a real chance of advancing to 3-1 but to do that they will have to take care of some guys from the plains…

The Auburn Game Is Going to Be Insane

@mattstonephotog

^^”When mom makes pizza rolls!!!“^^ Okay, I know we have to take care of business against Eastern Kentucky first in a game that features several storylines from offseason skirmishes. But please allow me to indulge myself for a moment. Auburn is currently going through a death spiral which has featured them getting blown out by LSU and then getting ran at home last night by Mississippi State. They have looked putrid on both sides of the ball and they should still be struggling to find their identity when they come to Lexington.

Kentucky on the other hand should be sitting at 4-1 with the first home Thursday night game in school history on tap. That environment has the recipe to be absolutely insane and perhaps top the Florida game from last weekend. A quick look at Ticketmaster shows that there are still plenty of open seats, including lower level, for the game. You had better jump on those right now if you have interest in going because I think the game is going to end up a sell out and a top 5 Commonwealth atmosphere.

Cats in the NFL

Plenty of NFL Cats are on the field today from start to finish of your NFL Sunday. Down here in Western Kentucky the Titans take over CBS in place of my beloved Bengals but at least I can watch Avery Williamson and Wesley Woodyard bring the pain to the Colts. That game will be followed by Chris Matthews and the Seahawks hammering Matt Jones’ Bears. Then the nightcap features old man Peyton Manning head to Motor City to take on Larry Warford’s Lions. Not a bad day of football.

Big Blue Madness Campout

One of the greatest traditions in UK Athletics begins this week as the Big Blue Madness campout takes place. For many, it will be the debut of guys like Skal Labissiere, Jamal Murray, and Isiah Briscoe. For others it’s a chance to miss a few days of work to hang out with 8,000 of your best friends. With this year’s version adding TV and radio to the events, Campout is sure to be a circus on another level.

NBA Training Camp Is Underway

Yesterday, the Aaron Harrison’s Hornets and James Young’s Celtics got started with NBA training camp. The rest of the teams will begin later this week. Andrew and Aaron Harrison, Josh Harrellson, Marquis Teague, Doron Lamb, Deandre Liggins and more will all be fighting to earn a contract for the upcoming season. It’s the last chance to make a good impression before the NBA season begins one month from today.

Go Cats!

Article written by Andrew Cassady

Follow me @ACassady_KSR

27 Comments for Three and One’s Sunday Morning Wakeup

1. Lord Fontleroy
    9:45 am September 27, 2015 Permalink

I do believe we have played some Thursday night games, before. I recall a few against South Carolina, back in the 90’s.

• PittDaddy
      9:53 am September 27, 2015 Permalink

They have played on Thursday before. SC has the quarterback with an amazing mullet. Tanneyhill was his name I believe.

• Lord Fontleroy
      10:09 am September 27, 2015 Permalink

Absolutely, Steve Tanneyhill was his name. Good QB. Those were good games, from what I remember. I thought those were Thursday night games. Perhaps Andrew can amend his post.

• gobgblu37
      12:21 pm September 27, 2015 Permalink

We have played the Cocks on Thursday night but UK has never host a Thursday night game.

• Roland
      1:32 pm September 27, 2015 Permalink

Who cares? The real point was that we have played on Thursday.

2. ukcats42301
    10:28 am September 27, 2015 Permalink

Come on guys we played at Miss St. on a thursday night in 2013. He meant first Thursday night HOME game

• thenamerobdigity
      10:32 am September 27, 2015 Permalink

I agree, First Thursday home game. I have been to 2 Thursday UK away games,

3. BBN
    10:36 am September 27, 2015 Permalink

We’ve played at home on Thursday, before.

• ukcats42301
      10:39 am September 27, 2015 Permalink

As I said above we last played a thursday night game in 2013!!! Sadly this is the knowledge base of some of our “fans” wondering if we have played on a thursday night bedore. Good gosh people!!!!!!!

• ukcats42301
      10:41 am September 27, 2015 Permalink

We have NOT played a thurs night home football game before. Barnhart always said UK could logistically could not do it until this year

• BBN
      10:48 am September 27, 2015 Permalink

I really don’t know why you are arguing. We HAVE played a home game on a Thursday night. South Carolina, back in the 90’s. Before Barnharts time here. Or yours, evidently.

4. ukcats42301
    10:53 am September 27, 2015 Permalink

That was NOT a home game! Check your facts idiot! I am 100% right on this and you are wrong. We have played at SC on a thurs more than once but NEVER Thursday night in LEXINGTON. Someone who has a little knowledgenon uk football history plz back me up here

5. ukcats42301
    10:56 am September 27, 2015 Permalink

The game you are referring to was a Bill Curry coached team. We won the toss and UK took the ball and the first pkay was a pass completion to Clyde Rudolph a running back who came from out of the backfield to catch the ball. QB was Antonio O’Ferral. It was at South Carolina because UK won to break an SEC road losing streak. Anything else you wabt to know??

6. The other white meat
    10:58 am September 27, 2015 Permalink

It doesn’t matter where it was played, the other guys are right. They said we’ve played on Thursday, before, and we have. The post was wrong stop arguing, troll.

7. ukcats42301
    11:04 am September 27, 2015 Permalink

September 23, 1993 UK 21 SC 17.
    Yeah I am a troll, a troll who knows the history of UK football because I’ve been around longer than the Couch years like you other idiots who think we haven’t played a Thursday night game since the 90’s against Taneyhill and we played on Thursday 2 seasons ago at Miss St.! Idiots!

8. WildcatDon
    11:22 am September 27, 2015 Permalink

I’m 72, and remember some games played on Thursday at Stoll Field, years ago.

9. Fenwaypk13
    11:27 am September 27, 2015 Permalink

Having not missed more than a handful of home games since 1964, if there as a home game at Stoll Filed it had to be before 64.

10. WildcatDon
    11:29 am September 27, 2015 Permalink

I think it was 50’s, as I was a young kid. I mean, I could be wrong.

11. Taylir
    11:30 am September 27, 2015 Permalink

Home or away, doesn’t matter. The point was that the post was wrong. We have played on Thursday, before. End of discussion. This one guy keeps going off on tangents.

12. The Rest of the story
    11:38 am September 27, 2015 Permalink

Wow what fools bickering about when and if we played on a Thursday, who cares at this point. Auburn in town and a team we owe an ass kicking to.

• Lord Fontleroy
      11:39 am September 27, 2015 Permalink

Because some people just like to bicker, it seems. Even if they have to change the topic, to do so. I agree, we owe Auburn a butt kicking.

13. Lord Fontleroy
    11:38 am September 27, 2015 Permalink

Yes, I only stated that we have played on a Thursday, before. That is a fact. The post was wrong. I don’t see why anyone is arguing that.

14. Jimboslice
    11:46 am September 27, 2015 Permalink

Wow does any of these commenters know we beat mizzou!? Lol go cats and what a game

15. Jimbalaya
    11:54 am September 27, 2015 Permalink

Damn straight. We finally got our shit together. Let’s continue the beatings. We owe some teams.

16. Will
    3:12 pm September 27, 2015 Permalink

Pretty sure we played arkansas at home on a thursday night in 07 i believe. The game where we lost in 7 overtimes

• Lord Fontleroy
      3:20 pm September 27, 2015 Permalink

I think you’re correct.

17. Bluemister
    9:22 pm September 27, 2015 Permalink

The Ark 7 OT game was on a Sat night.