Those on-field Kroger logos might be a little much

kroger-field

You’re looking at a rough rendition of what Commonwealth Stadium will look like on television next season once Kroger puts its stamp on the playing field.

And KSR is not a fan of the look.

The renaming of the stadium? We can deal with that. Whatever. Call it anything as long as the team is performing inside. But adding a corporate logo to the actual field? Nah, we don’t like that. It’s too much. This isn’t NASCAR. It’s college football.

As reported on Monday of this week when the deal was first announced, Kroger will have its logo on the 25-yard lines, opposite the two Southeastern Conference emblems. It will obviously be very clear during play (because it’s ON the field) and I can’t imagine it will go over well with fans — those in the stadium and those watching at home.

At the rate this Kroger takeover is moving, the players will be running around a new Starbucks at midfield.

Article written by Drew Franklin

43 Comments for Those on-field Kroger logos might be a little much

1. RackEmWillie
    11:08 am May 4, 2017 Permalink

If that’s the only Kroger logo that’s going to be on or around the field, I can live with that. That’s not that bad.

2. Rod Crandler
    11:08 am May 4, 2017 Permalink

Ugghhhh. This is may have the opposite affect that Kroger is looking for with this sponsorship. I wish Publix would come further north and give them some competition!

• keiths
      12:00 pm May 4, 2017 Permalink

Publix gives Kroger no competition. Kroger is the best grocer in the world, thats why they’re the biggest. (sole grocery) Walmart of course has groceries. I live in SWFL and surrounded by Publix, man i miss Kroger

• PillsburyThrowboy
      12:52 pm May 4, 2017 Permalink

@keiths I agree. I just recently moved to SC. While they have Harris Teeter down here (owned by Kroger) it’s still no Kroger. They also have Publix down here and I go to Harris Teeter every time. Publix wouldn’t give Kroger any competition.

• damage_control
      2:12 pm May 4, 2017 Permalink

I’m going to buy triple the amount I usually do at Kroger just to even out you two oversensitive Nancy’s.

3. Realme
    11:13 am May 4, 2017 Permalink

Well, I was hoping for something a little less prominent.

4. No man, just no.

5. Catlanta
    11:20 am May 4, 2017 Permalink

Oh no. Cue the “Fumble on aisle 15!” punchlines…

6. Bill3
    11:25 am May 4, 2017 Permalink

I can accept renaming but the Kroger logo on the field is more than a bit much. Aesthetically, it is tasteless. The field of play is for the athletes. There is something wrong with putting a logo on the field or on patches on our players’ jerseys. It’s offensive. Kroger needs to rethink this part of it.

• Catlanta
      11:28 am May 4, 2017 Permalink

Agree completely but it’s not Kroger that needs to do any rethinking. It’s the athletic department for selling the rights to put advertisements on the field in a contract to JMI two years ago. They knew this would happen, and they accepted it.

• InigoMontoya
      11:29 am May 4, 2017 Permalink

You mean like Nike logos?
      “There is something wrong with putting a logo on the field or on patches on our players’ jerseys. It’s offensive.”

• Inigo, good point, but Nike actually makes the unis, so it’s a bit different.

• Catlanta
      11:35 am May 4, 2017 Permalink

If you want equate the Kroger logo to the Nike swoosh, I have a contract you can sign to make UK an Adidas school.

• Booby Petrino
      11:45 am May 4, 2017 Permalink

lol “offensive”…such an offended world we live in these days.

• catsarerunnin
      1:37 pm May 4, 2017 Permalink

I’m offended that so many are offended.

7. InigoMontoya
    11:25 am May 4, 2017 Permalink

They paid for the rights, and if this is all that we see, be grateful. It could be a lot worse.

8. Sentient Third Eye
    11:26 am May 4, 2017 Permalink

It’s too much for me…and I’m a capitalist!

9. 8xchamp
    11:32 am May 4, 2017 Permalink

I’m sure it’ll get worse ,they aren’t paying 1.8 million to just have the name mentioned.

10. timewilltell
    11:33 am May 4, 2017 Permalink

Condition I see Drew in at games he probably will not even notice the logo.

11. Mathlete
    11:42 am May 4, 2017 Permalink

real talk, does any other team have corporate logos on their field?

12. twdisciple
    11:53 am May 4, 2017 Permalink

I don’t see how this doesn’t hurt recruiting. Other schools are gonna make a mockery of us to recruits.

• Chuck Norris
      12:10 pm May 4, 2017 Permalink

The money from JMI that led to the Kroger deal gave us a new state-of-the-art training and practice facility, and stadium upgrades that include an awesome area for potential recruits. I think that far outweighs opposing coaches making some Kroger jokes, no?

• catsarerunnin
      1:44 pm May 4, 2017 Permalink

It will especially hurt recruiting QBs. Other coaches will say “do you really want to take a chance being sacked at Kroger Field??”….

13. Sentient Third Eye
    11:57 am May 4, 2017 Permalink

As a smarter compromise, how about them replacing the Kroger logo with whatever new “Kroger Field” logo they come up with to put outside of the stadium. That would just remind viewers where the game is being played, but it would also put the Kroger name into their minds.

• damage_control
      2:11 pm May 4, 2017 Permalink

It’s already going on the outside- Maybe this was this was the “smartest compromise” they could come up with for an extra mill and a half a year?

14. the ghost of Bill Hicks
    12:15 pm May 4, 2017 Permalink

At least it’s blue and white.

• Peas and Carrots
      12:28 pm May 4, 2017 Permalink

That was my first thought too. I’m not a fan, but it could’ve looked worse.

15. runningunnin.454
    12:18 pm May 4, 2017 Permalink

TACKY to the nth degree.

16. isaacs
    12:26 pm May 4, 2017 Permalink

Sure, Kroger is paying for Name Placement to maximize branding exposure….But the on field logo @ the 25yd lines is a bit much. IMO, a good compromise would be to have the Kroger logo on the on the field goal netting. Every scoring opportunity would bring Kroger huge branding exposure during the high impact moments of the game (when everyone is locked on the TV)…as well as, broader brand exposure through game “highlights” being pumped out to the masses via a vast number of internet outlets, local & cable news/sports channels and BBN blogs.

17. ukbradstith
    12:31 pm May 4, 2017 Permalink

You won’t even notice that by week 3.

18. jaws2
    1:09 pm May 4, 2017 Permalink

If you don’t notice this, then you’re a blind man. Makes me want to puke! We’re the laughing stock of the SEC.

• Mathlete
      1:26 pm May 4, 2017 Permalink

I’m betting it’s more like we’re ahead of the curve

• catsarerunnin
      1:48 pm May 4, 2017 Permalink

Yeah UK football has NEVER been the laughing stock of the SEC before. Damn you Kroger!

19. timewilltell
    1:57 pm May 4, 2017 Permalink

Anybody ever hear of the Yum Center? aka the Chicken Hut!!

• damage_control
      2:09 pm May 4, 2017 Permalink

Yeah- And it’s not even as bad as that. The Yum! Center has so many easy ways to mock it. Kroger isn’t an easily mockable brand since it’s not associated with any one product. It’s a grocery store so what’s the snide remark, “Grocery Store Field”, or “Shopping Field”? I don’t get the outrage, but that’s generally the case in these non-outrageous stories that people get all worked up about.

20. damage_control
    2:15 pm May 4, 2017 Permalink

I hope they find a way to incorporate the Kroger logo onto the team uniforms somehow. I’d like to see them in Kroger branded shopping bag tops one game. Maybe they come onto the field being pushed inside shopping carts full of Kroger brand foods! That would be AWESOME!!

21. kentuckyrld
    2:51 pm May 4, 2017 Permalink

As far as I am concerned it is still Commonwealth Stadium and I will continue to refer to it as such. Sometimes the money is just not worth the sacrifice and this is one of those times.