Over the weekend, we found out that stadium-wide wifi is NOT one of the new perks at Commonwealth Stadium this fall. Wifi access will only be available for fans in premium seating areas (around 2,000 fans) and those in the press box. The news has caused a bit of a stir this week, and in response, UK posted an update in which they say they do anticipate better cell service in the stadium thanks to new cell towers in the area:

AT&T is in the process of once again enhancing its service surrounding The New CWS and the impact is expected to be noticeable with the permanent installation of cell towers. Verizon is also improving its service with a temporary enhancement. And beginning with the 2016 season, AT&T and Verizon will merge onto the same system.

Well, that’s good for AT&T and Verizon users, I guess. Sprint and T-Mobile, I guess you’re out of luck.

[BBN First]

11 Comments for There may not be wifi, but UK claims cell service will be better at CWS this fall

1. Leuther
    7:57 pm July 28, 2015 Permalink

Free WiFi is only for the elites – not the masses…

• Right Winger
      8:51 pm July 28, 2015 Permalink

Its the Republican Way.

Whats the problem?

You want free handouts now?

• Leuther
      9:17 pm July 30, 2015 Permalink

I’m a dip-shit hypocrite.

2. Goober
    9:01 pm July 28, 2015 Permalink

I’m obviously lost in the ages but I’ve had a cell phone for 15 yrs and never needed wi-if outside of my house. What does one pick up on wi-if that they can’t access via their regular phone service! I’ve certainly never had any reception issues around UK campus

• Dangers
      9:50 pm July 28, 2015 Permalink

The problem is that it’s extremely hard to get cell service in CWS. I never expect to send out a text until after the game.

3. j
    9:06 pm July 28, 2015 Permalink

OK wake up people. This is so a non issue in any other University that is serious about football. Especially the SEC. Wake up KSR, if we want to bring football to a Bama, or Dogs level, they wouldn’t be reporting this at all. Talk about what has really happened today, one of the best in our history…WAKE UP

• J-Dub421
      11:20 pm July 28, 2015 Permalink

Did you miss the multiple articles on football and football recruiting today?

4. ramel003
    10:01 pm July 28, 2015 Permalink

So you are saying sprint and t mobile will be just as good as it is most other places?

5. lee
    11:08 pm July 28, 2015 Permalink

I have T-Mobile, which works really well on campus, and have actually never had a problem at the football games using the 4G … probably because so few people use it and there’s no actual strain on the network.

6. Capisch
    9:05 am July 29, 2015 Permalink

I have T-mobile and have never had a problem at CWS either. Friends with AT&T and Verizon always asking to use my phone during tailgate.

7. go cats
    9:58 am July 29, 2015 Permalink

Sprint users will access the Verizon network ( roaming agreements) they both utilize the same technology

t-mobile users will access the AT&T network ( roaming agreements) both utilize the same technology

the issue with cell service at CWS or any other heavily populated congested area is the amount of users on the tower. Therefore, the more users that are connected to WIFI it will reduce the network strain.

Additionally, keep in mind the cellular industry is highly regulated by the FCC making any site upgrades or new site additions a long and slow process.

A lot of the time for sporting events or other settings with similar sized crowds they will allow for a COW ( Cell on Wheels) to be placed in the area. This allows temporarily relieve to the problem without the red tape of the FCC to actually build a new site.

Furthermore, I am glad to see the university investing money to address the capacity concerns.