The Walk’s Wednesday Morning Wakeup

I made a rare trip to the movie theater this week to see The Walk, the new 3-D film based on French high-wire artist Philippe Petit’s walk between the World Trade Center towers back in the 70s. Petit’s story is pretty incredible, but I only coughed up the $29.00 to see the film for its views of New York City and recreation of the Twin Towers. (I’m a little obsessed with New York, in case you hadn’t heard.)

The visuals did not disappoint; they were incredible. Breathtaking in some scenes, which explains why there are reports of some movie-goers experiencing vertigo and even vomiting in the theater. The views from atop the tower were so realistic, my heart raced as Petit, played by Tommy from 3rd Rock, looked over the edge and down to the pavement, almost 1,4000 feet below. I got my money’s worth on the stunning visuals alone.

As for the actual movie, it was good, not great. Gordon-Levitt’s French accent gets a little old as he narrates the entire story. I give it a 6.2 overall and a 9.2 for cinematography. Save your money and watch Man On A Wire on Netflix if you’re only interested in learning about Petit’s death-defying stunt.

Also, there is a brief tribute to the towers in the movie. Between you and me, I might’ve teared up a little bit on that one. I didn’t see it coming when I walked in with my plastic glasses, 64 oz. Coke and bucket of popcorn. It was a nice touch, though, and very moving. Glad I saw it.

Anyway, that’s my take on The Walk. Now let’s hit the morning news…

Kyle Wiltjer named CBS Preseason Player of the Year.

How about that? The former Wildcat earned CBSSports.com’s Preseason Player of the Year honors for college basketball yesterday. A 2012 national champion at Kentucky, Wiltjer is now a senior at Gonzaga, looking to become the second Naismith Player of the Year from John Calipari’s 2011 recruiting class.

Congrats to Kyle on the honor. Once a Cat, always a Cat.

Julius Randle swatted the hell out of this poor kid’s shot.

Randle played a little one-on-one at a Boys & Girls Club in Hawaii yesterday and he didn’t give up the rim in a friendly game of one-on-one.

Watch as he pummels this boy’s shot attempt into the crowd of campers:

This week’s KSR football podcast will be released today.

We recorded our weekly football podcast last night and it was our goofiest, without question. There is still plenty of in-depth football talk from Kentucky’s overtime win on Saturday, but things got out of hand when Freddie Maggard got personal with us. We learned about a side of Freddie no one knew existed. That’s all I will say for now.

Be sure to check it out later today. It’ll be here on the site around 1 o’clock.

ICYMI: Boom Williams is back after “one of the longest weeks of his life.”

Williams said personal, off-the-field issues kept him from being the player Kentucky needed him to be. He has since moved on and put “one of the longest weeks of his life” behind him.

Mark Stoops said, “We ask you to respect his personal issues. As I told you before: If there was a suspension with something off the field with anything, I would’ve told you that. It was an issue with him and it affected him. Those issues that he had, that he shared with me, affected his performance, and it affected the way he acted and what he did.”

Boom’s back and ready for Auburn.

Austin MacGinnis should be fine.

Kentucky’s star kicker left Saturday’s game with an injury but Stoops expects him to be fine. An MRI showed a minor pull, nothing of significance. He is expected to return by the end of the week.

So apparently there is video of Butch Jones punching a player at Tennessee.

That can’t be good.

Tennessee coach Butch Jones was involved in what a source called a “physical altercation” with an offensive lineman during fall camp.

Jones called the allegations “absolutely ridiculous” during his weekly Monday news conference, but a source close to the program said Jones and senior offensive lineman Mack Crowder were involved and that the incident was captured on the practice film that day. [GridironNow.com]

We need this story to blow up in a couple weeks, say, oh, right before Halloween weekend.

The Luke Bryan concert was a disaster.

What sounded like the worst idea ever proved to be just that: the worst idea ever. Bryan’s “Farm Tour” stop at Talon Winery shut down Tates Creek Road Tuesday night. I wouldn’t be surprised if some people are still on their way home from the show right now. Last I heard, parking lot traffic was in a standstill as late as 1:30 am last night with an estimated 10,000 people stranded and no end in sight. I hope Luke did a damn good performance of that one song to make up for the cluster**** of a show. (Ed. note: I can’t name a Luke Bryan song.)

KSR radio in an hour…

Grab some breakfast and get ready for two hours of Matt Jones and Ryan Lemond!

Article written by Drew Franklin

23 Comments for The Walk’s Wednesday Morning Wakeup

1. Z-Rex
    9:09 am October 7, 2015 Permalink

I have not seen The Walk so I can’t comment on it, but the documentary about Petit “Man On Wire” is excellent. Fascinating story, details how exactly he planned out the walk between the Towers and includes archival footage of the reactions by the police and the public.

2. Rajonrondo9
    9:19 am October 7, 2015 Permalink

The picture alone makes me feel uneasy lol

3. RUPPS_rhetoric
    9:22 am October 7, 2015 Permalink

Man I can’t believe 20,000 people funneled down a 2 lane road wouldn’t work out. Maybe next year they should funnel 30,000 down a 1 lane dirt road and just use a couple of flaggers to help move traffic. Should work out. It never ceases to amaze me how people think some things are a good idea. “Hey lets have a concert off a 2 lane highway in the middle of the week in a town that already has horrible traffic.” Real smart people running this one.

• Poppschmidty
      9:26 am October 7, 2015 Permalink

If you think Lexington has horrible traffic you may need to visit more areas of this country…Lexington traffic is easy.

• RUPPS_rhetoric
      9:39 am October 7, 2015 Permalink

I live in Louisville, and traffic is 10x better here. Now I’m not saying Lexington traffic is Atlanta or anything; but for a town of it’s size, Lexington traffic at RUSH HOUR is really really bad; again, for a town of it’s size.

• CATandMONKEY
      9:49 am October 7, 2015 Permalink

No, Lexington traffic is absolutely terrible for a city of its size. I have lived in Lex and the Ville and grew up not far from Boston. My sis lives in Minneapolis. At least when you sit in traffic in Boston, well, you are at least in Boston.
      Rupp’s comment is valid. Lexington is a great little city with a gigantic city traffic problem.
      Maybe if a single road didn’t change its street name at every intersection…

• Al B. Frank
      9:58 am October 7, 2015 Permalink

Lexington traffic is horrible at certain times of the day. At other times, it is not so bad. To say it isn’t that bad compared to other larger cities just means to me that you don’t happen to be on the roads during the busy times. I’ve lived in some larger cities. Lexington’s traffic problems seem to be solvable, but people don’t seem to want to make an issue of it, so the city government makes like it’s no big deal. It is. It’s horrible at times.

• Bourbon Breath
      10:04 am October 7, 2015 Permalink

Traffic in Lexington is bad in some areas for about an hour every weekday, while most of the city is on their way to and from work. That’s the thing about Lexington, most people actually work or go to college. Then of course traffic gets bad on home game days and big concerts. Other than that, traffic isn’t bad. If you think it is, you don’t know how to drive in Lexington.

• Chicago Cat
      11:03 am October 7, 2015 Permalink

I agree completely. I lived in Lexington for 8 years and now live in Chicago. And I prefer Chicago driving over Lexington driving. The traffic flow is horrendous.

• Dude
      11:47 am October 7, 2015 Permalink

^ What? You can’t be serious.

If by Chicago driving, you mean taking the train into downtown, then yeah. Otherwise, Chicago is a nightmare, pretty much all the time.

Like Bourbon Breath said – its only at 8am and 5pm in Lex, and even then, its not that bad. You haven’t seen bad until you are on a 6-lane highway, at 3:27, or 6:13, 10:49pm, or any other random time in Southern California, and then all of a sudden, gridlock. Completely stopped. For hours.

• MADARCHITECT
      12:25 pm October 7, 2015 Permalink

Lexington traffic is the worst in the world for a town so small.

• Brian
      12:50 pm October 7, 2015 Permalink

^^ You must not get out of Lexington much…. ^^

4. The Original WTF Guy
    9:59 am October 7, 2015 Permalink

First, every comment about traffic in Lexington is the same comment about traffic in every city in the country.

Second, if people were stuck in traffic for 12 hours that is not even close to what they deserve for going to see someone as horrible as Luke Bryan. The only justification for going to see him is if every person who showed up got UK basketball season tix and box seats at Keeneland for the Breeder’s Cup.

5. Mathlete
    10:10 am October 7, 2015 Permalink

What does it say about UK basketball that a Naismith candidate and preseason POY transferred away because he wouldn’t get any playing time behind the rest of the talent on the team?

• J-Dub421
      10:16 am October 7, 2015 Permalink

It’s more of a style of play issue. Kyle is very skilled and a good shooter with excellent shot variety, but he’s too slow and not athletic enough to play the way that Coach Cal wants.

6. RT
    10:40 am October 7, 2015 Permalink

Don’t know if it’s just me, but I still consider Kyle one of us…he just needed a better system for his skill set. Proud of him.

7. Cat's Other Paw
    11:23 am October 7, 2015 Permalink

You have to think if the Butch Jones incident actually occurred when claimed — and all those involved and aware thereof — actually cared, it would have been released back then. The timing of this, considering Tennessee’s abysmal start and the revelation of John Gruden implying Tennessee was his dream job, is somehow a positioning to fire Jones without a major financial hit and/or lawsuit while being able to hire Gruden.

It’s in Jones’ interest to keep this as quiet and brief as possible; the coaches who’ve allegedly assaulted players recently (Leavitt, Mangino, etc.) haven’t since obtained another college head coaching gig. In any event, Tennessee always luckily stumbles in a superior position in lieu of past screw-ups …and it makes me sick.

8. inside info2
    11:49 am October 7, 2015 Permalink

Drew, according to half the people on my Facebook feed, it’s Luke BryanT, not Bryan. I wouldn’t know because it’s a country artist and I stopped listening to “country” a long time ago.

9. fatbrat
    12:19 pm October 7, 2015 Permalink

If there is a video of Jones getting into it with a player, where is it? If there is a video of Jones getting into it with a player, so what! Coaches get into it with players all the time…it is the nature of the game. When someone tells me a coach took a bat to a players head then I will listen.

10. Rich
    1:03 pm October 7, 2015 Permalink

Would you trade Wiltjer for any of our potential starting 5? Skal? Alex? Murray? Tyler? Maybe Briscoe, but I am keeping him.

• leon singleton
      1:31 pm October 7, 2015 Permalink

If we had Wiltjer last year we would have Number 9.

• J-Dub421
      1:53 pm October 7, 2015 Permalink

No, but if we’d had Alex against Wisconsin we’d have won that game.

• Vedder
      8:58 pm October 7, 2015 Permalink

Thanks leon. So, who’s gonna win the championship this year? I figured I’d save some time from being wasted. Maybe make a nice big bet.