The Unofficial Top 3 Third Down Defense Hype Songs

Photo: UK Athletics

Photo: UK Athletics

Photo: UK Athletics

Last night, UK football finally picked up some momentum, especially on the defensive end. Going from allowing 42 points against New Mexico State to holding an SEC offense to just 10 is a huge step in the right direction, not just for the team, but for the fans. When a stadium can unite, players and fans, to build to a crescendo on every third down, that’s a recipe for a big stop. Part of that crescendo is the music.

So, here is my unofficial ranking of the top 3 third down defense hype songs:

3. Hells Bells, AC/DC

Classic, classic hype song. If you came to me today and said that this song should’ve been number one, I wouldn’t argue too much.

It just starts too slow. They have to cut out half of the bells in the intro or else the ball would get snapped mid-chime. And post bells, the song doesn’t ramp up quickly enough. So for that, it ranks third.

2. Guerilla Radio, Rage Against The Machine

Just like disco, rap-rock has gone the way of the dodo. That’s too bad, because this song hits the ground running and never stops. If anything, in contrast to Hells Bells, it moves a hair too fast.

If rap-rock were still a big deal, this song would be number 1. Unfortunately, that ship sailed like 15 years ago, so alas, my personal favorite sits in second place.

1. For Whom The Bell Tolls, Metallica

The superior song with bells. UK Football likes to double down on the Metallica, but this gem shines above fellow 3rd down anthem Ride the Lightning.

Perfectly paced for pumping up the crowd, with only two bell rings before the big guitar drop, For Whom The Bell Tolls is the quintessential 3rd down hype song.

Any suggestions for a new song that Commonwealth Stadium should break out on 3rd downs?

@JayWinkKSR

Article written by Jay Winkler

Avid fan of UK Athletics, WWE, and chicken wings. Preferably at the same time.

14 Comments for The Unofficial Top 3 Third Down Defense Hype Songs

1. Reese Davis
    4:38 pm September 25, 2016 Permalink

No. Heck no. Avoid any rock n roll that you possibly can throughout the game. Play lil Wayne, more waka flaka flame, Gucci Maine etc. The hype would go up so much, cause that’s the kind of music that gets the players hyped, NOT classic rock.

2. onsides
    4:47 pm September 25, 2016 Permalink

You mean that the hip hop students that go to UK don’t get exited about Les Miserables on 3rd Down? I refuse to believe this…..

3. onsides
    4:48 pm September 25, 2016 Permalink

*excited

4. Kindergarten Cop
    5:37 pm September 25, 2016 Permalink

I don’t feel like playing the right music is a hard thing. Get these old people off the controls and get music that will get the players and fans jacked. Its pretty easy to edit music if they are afraid of cussing.

Lil Wayne – We Be Steady Mobbin
    Lil Wayne – Right Above It
    Drake – Forever
    Dr. Dre – Still Dre
    Dr. Dre – Forgot About Dre
    Young Jeezy – I Luv It
    T.I. – Whatever You Like
    Heathens – Twenty One Pilots
    Ride – Twenty One Pilots

• CB3UK
      6:54 pm September 25, 2016 Permalink

Except rap music does not get the overwhelming majority of our fans hyped. When the student fill up their allotment of seats and stay for four quarters and become the force that they’re supposed to be then we’ll talk. You need music that will get the fans rowdy and loud. It’s OUR job to get the players jacked. While I get that players get hyped from it, I promise you they get more hyped a thousandfold when we’re making it deafening in there.

• Kindergarten Cop
      8:46 am September 26, 2016 Permalink

I am going to have to disagree…Think of all the big moments in the stadium “It’s a party” kickoff or when Wesley Woodyard would jump up and down to “We Ready”. Or when they would sing “We Believe”. I can’t think of any times when the players and crowd were excited to Rob Zombie or AC/DC. I understand that some of the older fans who “pay good money blah, blah, blah,” enjoy classic rock and I do too but, I just think that rap creates a better atmosphere for the players. I think mostly that the fans get excited when they see the players are having fun not the other way around. You can’t tell me that if “Let me clear my throat” come on the speakers you wouldn’t get hyped. There’s no way.

5. wemart2
    5:57 pm September 25, 2016 Permalink

300 Violin Orchestra- Jorge Quintero

6. somerset bill
    6:13 pm September 25, 2016 Permalink

i think hells bells is the song you play after the third down play has run.

7. BLUEVADER
    6:44 pm September 25, 2016 Permalink

Hatebredd “DOOMSAYER” The breakdown riff. It makes you want to run through a brick wall then pick up a tank and throw it into the SEA!

8. duner