The Streak Lives, The Players React

My feet hurt. My throat hurts. My head hurts. All for naught.

It’s a collective day of devastation for the BBN. Like a prisoner carving tick marks into the cell wall, the streak has moved to 31. 31 straight L’s. This is trash.

As crushed as we all feel, we all know the players are the ones taking it the hardest. Here’s how a few of them reacted in the aftermath:

If you’re noticing a trend, it’s that Kroger Field was the place to be last night. It was certifiably insane at times, especially when Grove St. Party came over the loudspeakers. Kudos to everyone who attended and hung on until the very last kick. You created a special environment.

Take a few days to recuperate. This one’s gonna sting a lot longer than usual. But the season rolls on.

Beat Eastern Michigan?

@JayWinkKSR

Article written by Jay Winkler

Avid fan of UK Athletics, WWE, and chicken wings. Preferably at the same time.

21 Comments for The Streak Lives, The Players React

1. mcp157
    11:45 am September 24, 2017 Permalink

Are there any comments from the DB that totally ignored the receiver at the end of the first half? What about the coaching staff for the second give away TD? These modern day athletes need to stop celebrating after they make a tackle in the second quarter and focus for the next play until the end of the fourth quarter. Then maybe, with more focus, they can celebrate a win and not show us their sensitivity after they blow another one. Where the hell are the Bear Bryant type coaches and players of that era who acted serious!

• classof68
      12:57 pm September 24, 2017 Permalink

Five stars for you. You can only act that way if you are good. We are not good. We will always be a BB school. The fans are just as bad, condoning mediocrity almost year after year. They think Stoops is a great recruiter because he gets 3 or 4 four star players a year. LOL. And most fans think we outplayed UF last night. BULL. Just check the stats. EVEN. We lost because we lost momentum. And most realize now why that happened. Will Stoops go out to win, instead of not lose from here on out? Hell no. Nothing will change. He’s not a head coach and I’m not sure he ever will be.

2. KYcats11
    12:01 pm September 24, 2017 Permalink

I know this might be crazy, but I really thought we had a chance to go 12-0 or 11-1 this year.

• ready4nineNOW
      12:05 pm September 24, 2017 Permalink

Not might crazy, but definitely crazy. I do like the positivity though.

• KYcats11
      12:10 pm September 24, 2017 Permalink

I understand but if you look at the schedule we had a legitimate chance of winning all those games. WE SHOULD HAVE WON.

• classof68
      12:59 pm September 24, 2017 Permalink

What are you, 10 years old?

• callitlikeiseeit
      1:30 pm September 24, 2017 Permalink

It does sound crazy BUT only because I don’t think we can win at UGA. Outside of that game all our games are winnable. Should be 6-0, uh 5-1, going to the bye. Then we should beat MSU, UT, Ole Miss and Vandy and be at 9-1 going to UGA then home vs Loserville. This can be a 10 win team, even with the disasterous go ahead TD the team never quit, showed toughness and made plays to have a chance. Had a great chance if not for the hold, and it was a hold that is not always called but was called this time. Even after that they made a play to have a chance. Thank you players for working so hard and making football fun again for BBN. Thank you coaches for getting these quality young men to come here and building this program up so it now matters. Clean up the mistakes, hope we learn from them, and keep working as great things will happen. Can’t make the EMU game, only home game I will miss, but can’t wait to get back to CWS {is still that to me} for the Mizzou game. C-A-T-S CATS CATS CATS

3. Joe Dan Gorman
    12:12 pm September 24, 2017 Permalink

Inexcusable blown coverage…

Unbelievable… that coaches who makes 6 figure salaries and more…. could make such incompetent fundamental mistakes.

• classof68
      1:01 pm September 24, 2017 Permalink

Look for Barnhart to give Stoops another big raise. After all, he is so much better than Joker. Incompetence all the way around.

4. terwilliger
    12:35 pm September 24, 2017 Permalink

I have to agree with the first poster. This game was lost because of silly mental mistakes. We have better players, with more natural ability, than Florida has. How many times over the history of this series have we been able to say that? Yet in the end, it was a lack of focus that did us in. Think about that: a lack of focus, when you’re staring 31 straight L’s in the face. That’s why this hurts so much. For once (and maybe the only time) we were hands down the better team. But the original poster hit the nail on the head. Football games last 60 minutes. Just shut up, keep your head down, and get to work. Stay focused on the task at hand. They failed miserably at that last night. Players and coaches both.

5. Bill Selfs Hair Piece
    12:47 pm September 24, 2017 Permalink

Just 1 game. I had fun last night even though we lost. I’m looking forward to watching this team and coaching staff continue to improve this program. Kentucky has a good football team, let’s enjoy it even though last night was disappointing.

• Saul T. Nuts
      6:37 pm September 24, 2017 Permalink

I totally agree.

6. mcp157
    12:53 pm September 24, 2017 Permalink

This is a response to the fifth response. That is exactly why we do not get better. Too, many fans happy to have fun, jump up and down when their image is on the stadium screen and be content with mediocrity. This is not an acute situation. It is chronic, repetitive stupidity with UK football.

• Bill Selfs Hair Piece
      1:50 pm September 24, 2017 Permalink

You’re right, going to football games isn’t about having fun. I would like to apologize to Mark Stoops having fun and ruining our chances at being a successful football program. My enjoyment of cheering on my team during a big game has been a real hindrance over the years and I promise not to do that again.

Thanks for pointing out my flawed thinking. I am a changed man.

7. bosshogg24
    1:01 pm September 24, 2017 Permalink

The dumb plays I saw last night won’t happen in middle school, UK has no leadership on defense or they would have seen the receiver wide open by himself! It is hard to win with Stoops and Gran, it is 3rd and 1 and you line up 6 yards deep. The QB or Snell needs to be under the center! Are you going to tell me that Snell can’t travel 1 yard?

If Stoops wants to take responsibility then deduct $200,000 from his contract! Stoops has made three bad hires in a row with the Offensive Cordinator!

8. USMC5150
    1:03 pm September 24, 2017 Permalink

I’m not happy with the games result and I keep reading how everyone is mad at the coaches. Keep in mind that our football program is definitely getting better! Also we aren’t a program where any Elite coach would want to come here take on a struggling program. If you want to breakout the pitchforks and run Stoops out of town you better think…the Nick Sabans of the world aren’t coming here. The grass isn’t always greener folks.

• bankerbh
      1:12 pm September 24, 2017 Permalink

So your answer is to keep an incompetent coach vs seeking one who has previously been a head coach and has a successful track record? You just defined Kentucky’s fan base and insanity.

• mcp157
      1:24 pm September 24, 2017 Permalink

Don’t want to hate players or fire coaches! But also don’t want to pat them on the back for a performance like last night. Get better dammit!

9. Luke95
    1:23 pm September 24, 2017 Permalink

This game has given me the unsettling feeling that Mark Stoops’ tenure here will end up being a lot like the football equivalent to the Tubby Smith era in basketball. You want him to do well, and he’ll have a reasonable amount of success, but he’ll never get you where you need to go and it will come to an ugly end.

• mcp157
      1:38 pm September 24, 2017 Permalink

Apples and oranges. UK basketball and UK football.

10. Howdy Doody
    1:50 pm September 24, 2017 Permalink

Wuda, Cuda , Shuda….SAME refrain of losers world wide.