The Plan for the Return of UK Football

Photo: @UKFootball

Photo: @UKFootball

If you listened to KSR today, I mentioned that I received some information about the plans for returning the UK Football team to campus and how summer workouts may go in Lexington. After spending some time this afternoon talking to folks, I can confirm much of what was written to me earlier today and the outline of how UK plans to bring its football team back. Sources tell KSR that this is the current working model.

The basic information is this. Sources tell KSR that Kentucky is planning to bring its Football team back to campus in stages. The first stage will involve the 30-40 players who already are in Kentucky, either because they live here or never left during the Quarantine. They will be brought back when the facility is allowed to be open. The assumption is that will be June 8, although that decision has not been finalized by the University. They will be tested by the University for all potential medical issues and if cleared, can begin workouts with the staff.

For the rest of the team, their return to Lexington will be in stages. Each week, another group will be brought back (somewhere between 10-20), tested for the virus and then after a period of time, integrated with the rest of the team. This will continue throughout June, with players brought back every 5-7 days. The players with any potential pre-existing conditions or issues will be the last to return. By the time Fall camp starts, the hope is that the entire team will be present.

For those that aren’t on campus in the beginning, workout equipment has been sent to where they are and they will do workouts from those locations. The team training as a whole (whether in person or virtual) will begin when the facility opens.

As for the games, no final decision has been made what will happen. There is hope that there will be a full season that begins on time. But there are also options on the table that include a slight delay to the start of the season, with a full schedule being completed in December/January. The possibility of starting the season a few weeks late and playing only conference games and one non-conference game (which for Kentucky would be Louisville) is also on the table. However none of the decisions have been made and likely all will be pursued sometime in June when the conference has a better idea where we stand.

Finally, there have also been no decisions on fans in attendance. It is considered highly unlikely that a full crowd will be an option, but it hasn’t been completely ruled out. The working assumption is attendance limited to 1/3 of a stadium’s capacity. However it was stressed to me that this could easily change and go down or up depending on how the virus reacts this summer.

As with all of the virus, this is subject to change but for now, is the working model for UK Football in 2020.

Article written by Matt Jones

33 Comments for The Plan for the Return of UK Football

1. Bigblueswami
    2:18 pm May 26, 2020 Permalink

Hmmm… that 1/3 capacity is gonna be a tricky slope to navigate…. wonder if they put season ticket holders on a rotating schedule?

• 4everUKBlue
      7:00 am May 27, 2020 Permalink

I’m with you Hal, all these people who are trying to live germ free are going to become more susceptible to disease and illness and that is well documented. Delray wake the fuk up! 10,000 dead and counting with the coronavirus not from it. If you would turn off the news and do some independent research you will find the truth. Why is it no one trusts the government until there’s a crisis and then they believe every lie they tell?

• 4everUKBlue
      7:00 am May 27, 2020 Permalink

Sorry my response was meant for Hal.

2. ky1988
    2:31 pm May 26, 2020 Permalink

Actually would like no fans that will take home advantage away when Kentucky goes to Auburn UF and Tennessee makes playing field even .

3. hal9944
    2:45 pm May 26, 2020 Permalink

Social distancing IMO is worst thing we can be doing. Exposure is the key for our bodies to create its own fightIng antibodies against viruses. Social distancing only weakens our immune systems. This is basic stuff taught in schools. I don’t understand social distancing, especially when the man reason for it was to keep hospitals from being overrun, and that is something that never come close to happening.

• satcheluk
      3:11 pm May 26, 2020 Permalink

Where’d you get you PhD? Google?

• meeksfor3
      3:15 pm May 26, 2020 Permalink

I have no idea if he has a PhD or not but a lot of people who do have said the same things.

• DelrayCat
      3:24 pm May 26, 2020 Permalink

What an idiotic statement hal. The only way to create antibodies is via a vaccine or outright getting the disease. Be my guest if you and your family want to volunteer to take on the Covid in order to help humanity toward the herd immunity concept. And hospitals were not overrun because the shutdown was marginally successful. That was the original goal.

• DelrayCat
      3:27 pm May 26, 2020 Permalink

That is of course if you call 100,000 dead and counting “successful”….smh.

• sprtphan
      7:07 am May 27, 2020 Permalink

Compared to the original predictions of 2 million in US, yes would call that a positive.

• BIGblueFootBallGuy
      9:49 pm May 26, 2020 Permalink

My wife is a Dr. and was wondering where you got your medical degree?

• 4everUKBlue
      7:01 am May 27, 2020 Permalink

• 4everUKBlue
      7:05 am May 27, 2020 Permalink

Ky1988, then your wife knows, whether she will admit it or not, that hospitals are being paid $39,000 when they put a patient on a ventilator and $39,000 if they code a death as covid. An Italian statesman came out and revealed that 99% of those who died from covid had other illnesses. https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-03-18/99-of-those-who-died-from-virus-had-other-illness-italy-says

4. jakew60
    3:10 pm May 26, 2020 Permalink

1/3 of fans also depends on stadium capacity which is wild I guess the Alabama’s will be still decently filled and what about the smaller schools ?

5. satcheluk
    3:10 pm May 26, 2020 Permalink

They should allow 1/3 of each section for each game, guaranteeing as many games as possible in your seats, but some games you might be somewhere else in your section. And have a website where season ticket holders can trade with others without fee.

6. DelrayCat
    3:18 pm May 26, 2020 Permalink

UK should buy back any season ticket holders that don’t want to attend games live this year without losing the right to keep those seats in future years. Then UK can sell or hold back those seats to keep the numbers down. Although I bet they’d want to keep the K-fund “donation” portion even if they refunded the ticket costs.

7. RICKSVD
    5:35 pm May 26, 2020 Permalink

Retarded. How about if you want to go to the game go, if your a frightened little bitch, continue to be a shut in.

• Bluehender
      8:54 pm May 26, 2020 Permalink

If they let in people with half a brain, you wouldn’t make it. How bout that??

• Bluehender
      8:55 pm May 26, 2020 Permalink

Or maybe if they let just idiots in, you’d be in the top ten..

• 4everUKBlue
      7:11 am May 27, 2020 Permalink

I don’t usually agree with RSVD and I won’t use those words, but I agree, live your life. Do some independent research instead of sucking up everything the MSM you and you will realize you’re not going to die from coronavirus. With it? Maybe. I have not worn a mask once and I don’t worry about the BS social distancing and I will not be made to wear a mask. I go wherever I want to go when I want to go, I will not let the government enslave me anymore than they already have.

• Bluehender
      7:43 am May 27, 2020 Permalink

4ever you and I agree on most all things UK sports and I respect your opinions. But to call people “frightened little bitch”, is uncalled for. Whether it is or it isn’t, when they say this thing is asymptomatic, that means you can pass it along to someone and not know it. The experts say it is, and I know you have different sources. Anyone can write anything, so that’s what I think about conspiracy theories and I know you disagree and that’s fine. I can’t sit in front of my computer and read all day and so hopefully we can respectfully disagree there. But if a person is willing to totally disregard the social distancing thing, then they’re willing to pass it along to anyone they come in contact with and that wreaks of selfishness. It says” I only care about myself and the rest of you, parent, child, coworker, neighbors, you can all go to hell”. Just my opinion, but I think we could and should be a little more considerate of the people around us.

• Bluehender
      7:58 am May 27, 2020 Permalink

Maybe, just maybe, that “frightened little bitch” is thinking of someone besides themselves..

8. CrystalBall
    6:25 pm May 26, 2020 Permalink

Nowhere in that article did he mention Mitch. He must be slipping.

9. panicpat
    11:27 pm May 26, 2020 Permalink

Nice one crystal ball. And I agree with above comment about go if you want. Or stay home if you’re scared. Pretty simple.

10. JASUN74
    12:49 am May 27, 2020 Permalink

I’ve come really close to sending that email, probably 10 or so times, we’ve discussed if we should just give our 2 tickets up this year. But the one thing that keeps me from doing it is the slightest chance we’ll get to play this season and I just can’t do it. If I get to go tailgate and watch just a couple games I’ll be tickled to death. Lol.

Just tailgating and grilling up a big ol ribeye, with some peppers and onions and all the trimmings, getting to play a little corn hole while talking trash. Ahhh yeah, that’s what it’s all about. Just getting to be around some friends and family would work wonders for this old boy I’ll tell you! Maybe even a couple nice cold adult beverages which beating the crap out of a good buddy!! Haha. That would make it all worth it.

I know we’ll all get back to some kind of normal before long and we’ll all move on, but I have sure took a lot for granted in my life that I’m going to try not to from now on. The very first thing I’m going to do though is go see my little granny in the nursing home and show her all the pictures of her plants that I’ve took over. Lol. God love her little heart. Sorry, I’ve got off track a little. Anyway this is better news and hopefully we get some Football this fall. Wooo. If we do, it’s going to be a fun year this year. Go Cats.

11. NostraDanis
    5:04 am May 27, 2020 Permalink

Good stuff, Jasun.

Go Cats!

12. 4everUKBlue
    7:24 am May 27, 2020 Permalink

And just like that the government controls all sporting events, concerts, medical facilities, whether or not you can leave your house, has depleted resources such as toilet paper and food, controls all travel. And you guys wonder why they develop and use viruses to scare the public. They now control you and everything about your life. See how easy it was? Mass panic, hysteria, complete control. Of, literally, the world. Over a virus, one that the survival rates are even extremely high. All freedom has been limited overnight. And this is worldwide, the new world order is not coming…..it’s here now. See how easy that was?

And btw, this is not something I made up or imagined, it’s happening before your eyes if you will only open them.
    Think about it.

13. BBNBRIAN
    7:53 am May 27, 2020 Permalink

Kroger Field is barely 1/3 full at 75% of our home games anyway – Not much of a difference.

14. UKBigBlueForever
    8:46 am May 27, 2020 Permalink

4everUKBlue. Go to a country like North Korea and we’ll talk about people with no freedoms, bla bla bla. I can’t believe people really think like this. That is all. Everyone stay safe except for 4ever because he’s a proud redneck that doesn’t care if he knowingly or unknowingly passes on the virus to you

• ThatsAShame
      9:14 am May 27, 2020 Permalink

Probably the same type of person who feels like the DUI laws are too strict and shouldn’t apply to them. “If you are too scared to drive you should just stay home. I’ll drink and drive how I please.”

• Bluehender
      9:51 am May 27, 2020 Permalink

Nice comparison ThatsAShame…

15. KYCat4EVER
    9:38 am May 27, 2020 Permalink

Thank you for the heads up Matt Jones!

Good to see our university out in front on this subject.

There isn’t anyone I have met yet who has been through a CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC .

Amazing to see the same small sect of BBN on here that think they know so much about sports now authoring posts as if they were “AUTHORITIES” on PANDEMICS. ?

Hilarious!

STAY CALM and STAY SAFE BBN!

GO BIG BLUE