The Palm Beach Post names Stoops a potential replacement for Miami

After the Miami Hurricanes were embarrassed by Clemson 58 to nothing for the worst loss in school history it was apparent a change needed to be made. That change as Al Golden was relieved of his duties as head coach and another opening has come to the world of college football. As with the South Carolina opening the name Mark Stoops is being bandied about as a potential replacement for the vacancy. This time it’s coming from South Florida newspaper, The Palm Beach Post, and here’s what they had to say:

Mark Stoops, Kentucky coach: A promising 4-2 in Lexington (entering Saturday) after going 7-17 in his first two seasons. Stoops left a job as Florida State’s defensive coordinator, where he had been since 2009, to coach UK. Would the 48-year-old return to Coral Gables, where he was defensive backs coach under Larry Coker from 2001-03? A person close to Stoops said he still has property in the area and would likely consider the job if offered. One of the better South Florida recruiters on this list. Would UM, which pays Golden $2.54 million per year, pay him at least the $3.25 million he makes at Kentucky?

[The Palm Beach Post: Seven possibilities for Miami Hurricanes after firing Al Golden]

So this begs the question, is Miami an elite level program that Stoops would consider leaving for? The days of “The U” are long gone while Florida and FSU have dominated the state for the past decade. As Matt said on the radio earlier this month, if Miami came calling he could see it playing out like Charlie Strong and Tennessee. That is, a “Thanks, but no thanks”. Kentucky now has better facilities, a sleeping giant football fanbase, and, thanks to the SEC network, more resources to pay the man. Stoops’ personal ties and the recruiting base would be compelling but in the end I don’t think it is a program to worry about.

How about you?

Article written by Andrew Cassady

Follow me @ACassady_KSR

62 Comments for The Palm Beach Post names Stoops a potential replacement for Miami

1. Cats123
    10:33 pm October 25, 2015 Permalink

Hopefully, he will take it, but we won’t be that lucky.

• BenHur
      10:48 pm October 25, 2015 Permalink

^ Card fan, idiot, or both.

• Robert Layne
      12:37 am October 26, 2015 Permalink

No, I think he is a KAT fan that has seen enough.

• Beavis
      9:11 am October 26, 2015 Permalink

I like Stoops and I hope he is successful here but the last three games they have not looked well coached. Maybe just a learning experience for the players and the coaches.

• Poppschmidty
      11:23 am October 26, 2015 Permalink

Stoops has the program going in the right direction. We have a winning record, we’ve competed in 2/3 of the losses, we’re getting good recruits that will only help. Stoops is still learning the coaching game and you can tell that, but he’s making the right strides and I think he is setting us up for real success. It’s not like we were BCS contenders for years; the Music City Bowl was impressive to us. Let’s live in the real world here, fella.

• Consider this
      11:27 am October 26, 2015 Permalink

We are only four plays away from being winless this year against very weak competition.

Everyone seems to believe Charlotte is a win. I would hope that the EKU game would have enlightened the fan base towards the ineptness displayed week after week by this program.

If you thought the results of the MSU game were humiliating, I worry for your demeanor following the next two games, and then, the rest of the season.

Vanderbilt and Louisville are by no means a 50-50 game. Neither is Charlotte.

I have no claims on being a football strategist, however, based on what has been exhibited by our coaching staff, thus far in the 2015 season, my current perception remains, neither are they.

Special teams is a huge part of every game. We have no coordinator.

Defense is the absolute most important aspect of this game. If the opponent can’t score, they can’t win. I would think it safe to argue, just like special teams, we really do not have a defensive coordinator.

The offense, where does one begin? I would say total shambles to start with. I just do not see any improvement. The former OC left to take over a minor program. Folks were critical of his strategy, but at least he prepared his offense to play. He had much more limited resources than we have this year, and he had relatively decent numbers, comparatively speaking.

I just find it difficult to justify the salary for these coaches, being 4-9 since the last raise, and should things continue as they are, 4-14 or 5-13 by end of year 2015, against weak competition. That makes it about, roughly, about $400,000.00 per loss, for Stoops.

How do I get a job like that? I know they hate losing, I do too. However, I could get over it pretty easy, compensated in this manner. I would speculate Stoops is amongst the highest paid Coaches in all of football on a per win basis.

2. Nope
    10:40 pm October 25, 2015 Permalink

Have they watched is this season? At all? Especially last night?

3. RealitySays
    10:52 pm October 25, 2015 Permalink

I don’t get it. Stoops has had ZERO real success at UK other than a few supposed recruiting victories. And judging from the progress of one of his so-called top recruit, Matt Elam, I’d say a school like Miami will certainly look elsewhere.

• Ha!
      11:32 pm October 25, 2015 Permalink

^^^ Steady trollin’!!! ^^^

• Robert Layne
      12:40 am October 26, 2015 Permalink

If Miami is looking for a “COACH”, I think they would look for a good “COACH”, Stoops and his staff still make way, way, way too many ‘coaching’ mistakes to be desired at major football program.

4. Joe
    10:56 pm October 25, 2015 Permalink

Miami fans want Butch Davis. Stoops would be a bad hire. He hasn’t shown that he can win at a high level yet. He needs to show more first. Although, I don’t believe Miami is an elite program anymore or a better job than Kentucky necessarily.

5. Seriously
    11:00 pm October 25, 2015 Permalink

Wait, according to many of the commenters (aka the self-appointed “experts” of football) around here, Stoops is incompetent. Why would a program with a winning tradition want to go after him? Weird…

• Tony Montana
      11:09 pm October 25, 2015 Permalink

Huh?

• Eazy E or Eric Wright it's all the same
      11:09 pm October 25, 2015 Permalink

lol, The U is not going after Stoops because some douche from the Palm Beach Post threw his name out as a suggestion.

6. Elmer Skaggs
    11:12 pm October 25, 2015 Permalink

Why would Stoops leave Kentucky where six wins is the ultimate measure of success

• The Rest of the story
      11:22 pm October 25, 2015 Permalink

Whoa

• Larry Clapp
      11:24 pm October 25, 2015 Permalink

Hey, they can’t all play in the AAC or ACC or BigEast or CUSA or whatever.

• The Rest of the story
      11:24 pm October 25, 2015 Permalink

Hold on there Elmer, Stoops has yet to win 6 and doing that this year gets slimmer every game. I only see one more sure game but after the EKU debacle that is not all that sure.

• Elmer Skaggs
      11:48 pm October 25, 2015 Permalink

He would also have to deal with brutal Miami sports media instead of Kindsey and Kelsey and idiots like Nick Roush and Drew Franklin

7. bigpoppapump
    11:56 pm October 25, 2015 Permalink

Please let this be true. Wait – when they ask him who he plans on hiring as special teams coordinator and he says “uh I don’t see the need for one of those” that will end any chance he has. Al Golden has never played with 8 guys on the field. Might as well keep him if Stoops is their best option.

8. Miami Vice
    11:58 pm October 25, 2015 Permalink

Stoops to the “U”? Serious? Maybe a U-Haul.

9. seriously
    1:59 am October 26, 2015 Permalink

Seriously ppl yall riding his ass hard….Stoops is the best thing for UK…you act like we should be undefeated and playing for a National Title….Could u imagine where we would be without him, and I bet the next coach wouldn’t be as good as him. STOOPS is the guy!!!

• UKBigBoardUpdate
      7:45 am October 26, 2015 Permalink

Yea. Without him we wouldn’t have been in a bowl game the last last 3 yrs and we wouldn’t be showing all this improvement (like losing the last 6 in a row last year and repeating it this year). Oh wait….something’s wrong with this storyline!

• NavyCat
      9:16 am October 26, 2015 Permalink

11-20 overall, 4-17 in the SEC doesn’t really mark him as the “guy” and maybe he will eventually be the “guy” but other than his recruiting prowess, I would guess that we’d be about where we’re at now…couldn’t be much worse seeing as we haven’t beaten a good team yet and barely beat the bad teams.

• UK Big Board Update
      1:44 pm October 26, 2015 Permalink

Looks like cats paw stole my handle, spelled it wrong, and trolled with it. What a loser piece of shit.

10. Echo1
    5:17 am October 26, 2015 Permalink

I’m still withholding judgement on Stoops and the hype he has created at UK, but if Miami is considering him, it shows how far they have dropped. What’s he proven? He seems to be building something, but what has he built? An average football team. And I’m being generous.

11. Fred
    5:59 am October 26, 2015 Permalink

Quit believing everything printed. Although he does have that South Beach look. 0-20 when trailing at halftime. The U can do much better.

12. wildcat
    6:28 am October 26, 2015 Permalink

i’ll help him pack and get his U-haul ready and sing him one last song of my old kentucky home far away. j/k

13. KevinM
    7:20 am October 26, 2015 Permalink

We have seen loads of progress since Joker especially in recruiting and facilities.
    It’s not time to abandon the strategy yet.

Time to make a statement vs. UT @home this week.

• Kat 308
      9:59 am October 26, 2015 Permalink

Stoops is the answer I hate negative fans. If you can’t see progress from the joker get some glasses

• DCHagy
      11:42 am October 26, 2015 Permalink

How long are you people going to repeat your mantra of “it’s a rebuilding process. He needs more time”? Excuses are what losers use. He’s had (what) four years and THIS is what he’s put on the field: No “O” line; no defense; no special teams coach because apparently “we don’t need one.” An offensive coordinator who never really called any plays while at WVU. A defensive coach that is clueless. An idiot who costs his kicker (and team) three points because he called a timeout for what reason? Eight–count ’em 8–people to field a punt, Constant arguing between ALL coaches. BUT, we’ve not got “nice facilities.” Oh, he’s not going anywhere. His hire is very reminiscent of Billy Gillespie’s hire. Question is, when will somebody lean on Brainfart and get UK to hire an actual coach?

14. KYCATS13
    7:41 am October 26, 2015 Permalink

Wouldn’t surprise me. Our coaching staff is learning on the job. They would take to Miami all that they have learned at Kentucky’s expense and apply it there.

If Stoops stays we will continue to get better as the coaches learn the “head” coach positions. We are much better than we were under Joker. It is just disappointing to see hesitation and lack of organization. It is like they don’t consider planning for various situations prior to the game.

The jury is still out on Dawson.

15. UKBigBoardUpdate
    7:49 am October 26, 2015 Permalink

I thought we didn’t want to hire a proven top 10 coach here (Petrino) because we would always be worried he would up and leave us to the first school that was a better opportunity than UKS? I thought that’s why we hired a first time coach at twice the salary of PETRINO?

• Echo1
      9:18 am October 26, 2015 Permalink

If UK hired Petrino, I’d never watch or attend a game. That man’s character is custom made for Louisville.

• UK Big Board Update
      1:46 pm October 26, 2015 Permalink

cats paw has resorted to stealing my name and still continues to suck on Petrino’s balls.

Loser.

16. Tej
    7:53 am October 26, 2015 Permalink

Coach Stoops took over a program in ruin that had little support from the administration. He has recruited classes nationally ranked in the top 30, he has obtained a real commitment to football from the University, he has moved the program in the right direction without a doubt. Posters who are critical of him expect 7-8 wins immediately. We play in the SEC. No team can be turned around that quickly in this league. I hope Coach Stoops stays with us and continues his work.

• Jim
      11:41 am October 26, 2015 Permalink

Being in the top 30 nationally but still at the bottom part of the SEC. Means nothing. I don’t expect 7/8 wins, but I expect to not be embarrassed by barely beating EKU, only having 8 on the field against Auburn, Defense still trying to line up when Prescott was running by them, going 4 of 7 games without a passing TD, and finally having coaches apologize after every game because of their continued mistakes. But yeah, he’s our guy.

17. Veritas
    8:21 am October 26, 2015 Permalink

He’s in the midst of his 3rd year and they are still making fundamental mistakes, both the players and the coaches. 8 men on a punt return? WTF? If you still believe this is the guy that’s going to get it done, I’ve got a large bridge in Brooklyn to sell you. What should you call a receiver that drops balls? Benchwarmer. What do you call a coach that WON’T bench said receivers? Stoops.

18. Juan4UK
    8:23 am October 26, 2015 Permalink

I hope Stoops never leaves. We need to keep him at all costs. Screw Miami.

19. UKfanNKY
    8:34 am October 26, 2015 Permalink

Ok dumb asses & so called coaches on here first & foremost have you not seen the recruits Coach Stoops is getting in our program he can’t get thing turned around immediately give him some time for gods sake. It’s his third year and I don’t know about you but I have followed KY Football for 50 plus years and at least except for Miss St. game there has been progress!! Look at what this program is doing they are soooo close. This football program is building around Stoops so get off your high- hats shut your frickin mouths before you run this Staff out and SUPPORT them!!! I love KY basketball and ALL aspects of KENTUCKY except for our spoiled brat fan base and you know who you are!!! Come on……..we are the BBN people!!! GO CATS!!!

• Veritas
      8:49 am October 26, 2015 Permalink

Just keep drinking that blue kool-aid. Some of us are realists and it’s obvious he’s a middle of the pack coach at best. Recruiting has indeed gotten better BUT the results on the field aren’t commensurate with the increase in talent. If you are too stubborn (or stupid) to see this, that’s not my fault.

• KYCATS13
      9:12 am October 26, 2015 Permalink

The recruits will stop coming, if we don’t start winning consistently.

• BluKudzu
      9:24 am October 26, 2015 Permalink

I am curious, how do measure progress? What is you measure of success? I do not understand how a come from behind win against OVC talent and another 42-16 beat down by a mid level SEC team, (in a down year, no less) is an indication of being “soooo close” (your term)?
      I think we “dumb asses and so called coaches” would be happy to get off our “high- hats” if you can explain how a humiliating performance, broadcast nationally, is worthy of praise for progress. I for one am very pleased to “shut my frickin mouth” on critiquing said coach and program, when the evidence you may provide will sway my judgement otherwise. Until then, please do not comment in such a manner to the good folks here, it makes you look less than intelligent, and worse, solidifies the perception of other fans, of other college teams, has about BBN. I would like to think we are a bit more intelligent than that.
      Go Cats.

• Veritas
      9:41 am October 26, 2015 Permalink

Thanks BluKudzu – glad to see your comment got through moderation. My previous comment was similar to yours but apparently was too severe to be accepted. You are spot on with your questions to UKfanNKY.

20. StopHating
    8:42 am October 26, 2015 Permalink

Anyone who thinks Stoops leaving is good knows nothing about football…he’s the best the program has had in years. Football isn’t something that can be turned around in three years. They could always go back to the Joker days. He’s done nothing but good…since when was the goal to be undefeated and win the National Championship?

• DCHagy
      11:49 am October 26, 2015 Permalink

“Nothing but good.” Really? REALLY? Let’s see: runs the ball UP THE MIDDLE with no time outs; 32 seconds left. Eight (8) men to field a punt return. Calls a timeout (for no reason); thus, nullifying a good field goal attempt. Will NOT–no matter what–bench a quarterback who couldn’t hit a bull in the ass with a bass fiddle. Constantly argues with his other “coaches” (for lack of a better word). Constantly apologizing for his and the team’s poor execution in games. Yes sir; he’s a gem that one is.

21. billy ray
    9:02 am October 26, 2015 Permalink

If we let stoops go we are stooopid!!! He’s going in The right direction . You people are killing my achy breaky heart!!!!

22. Dieter
    9:22 am October 26, 2015 Permalink

I don’t see Stoops leaving for Miami. They are in a shambles. Stadium is empty for even the big games (as it was v. Clemson). Aging facilities. Furthermore, it would be just as tough for him to recruit against FSU, UF, UCF, USF, etc… as it is to recruit at UK. No family ties. Just a vacation home by some accounts (that’s not even confirmed). Don’t see it, just like I don’t see him going to SC for similar reasons. Both jobs are a lateral move at best and he might not make the money he does at UK (coupled with Lexington’s relatively low cost of living vs. Miami).

However, if Stoops gets a bowl game and win this year and again next year, I think he is gone for any available step up even if it is a slight one. Being a feeder program is better than being in the doldrums though. It at least means there’s some small measure of success going on.

23. MIACAT
    10:40 am October 26, 2015 Permalink

Stoops isn’t leaving for Miami. The guy from the Palm Beach Post is a moron. I live in Miami, and checked Miami-dade, broward and palm beach county public records and Mark Stoops does not own any property in South Florida.

24. Your Right
    11:33 am October 26, 2015 Permalink

The haters are right… We should beg Joker Phillips to come back. Drop Towles also, Withlow and company are a much better fit. Tell all the recruits they have managed to lock down to just give up. Redo Commonwealth to the way it was and just give up. Its just Kentucky football!

• DCHagy
      11:53 am October 26, 2015 Permalink

It’s time to get off the Joker Phillips’ tit. You think because Stoops has gotten some mid-level talent (even some higher than mid-level talent) that solves the problems for UK football? When UK continues to LOSE because of complete total ineptness of its coaches, see how many of these recruits still come to UK.

25. piedma schwartz
    11:44 am October 26, 2015 Permalink

I think he’d take it. It’s so much easier to win in the ACC with crappy teams like wake forest and Louisville.

• Troll
      11:53 am October 26, 2015 Permalink

Two teams that would still beat this dysfunctional bunch we have on the field right now.

26. Cats123
    11:55 am October 26, 2015 Permalink

In year 4, Dan Mullen went 7-0 and was #1 in country. In year 2 James Franklin had Vandy at 9-4, and again in year 3!!!! Everyone on here that criticizes UK and stoops is not a “troll” or “cards fan”, So sick reading that.

In year 3, we LUCKED out and beat EKU, EKU people!!! We barely held off ULL!!!! Missou and USC are terrible!!!

This program is as bad and arguably worse in year 3.

Recruiting has been better, but that won’t last if you can’t translate to wins.

Stoops has NO CLUE on how to be a head coach. All of the recruiting success is Marrow not him. Stoops was a DC at FSU and our D has flat out sucked for 3 years.

He’s no good, I wish he were, but we are going to have to start all over. Of course with all the money we paid him we wont make a change.

UK football still sucks and apparently is not changing.

• UK Big Board Update
      1:49 pm October 26, 2015 Permalink

Yep. Our fans suck, too.

27. Biglaw Dawgin'
    12:20 pm October 26, 2015 Permalink

Coaching for Miami has two main benefits: 1) a plethora of talent in south Florida to recruit from and 2) the weather in Miami. It has many more negatives like: 1) horrible stadium 45 minutes from campus and 20 minutes from downtown, 2) pressure to win immediately based solely on past success, 3) fair weather fanbase, etc.

No way he goes to UM. If he goes 7-5 here, it’s a great season. If he goes 7-5 there, he’s on the hot seat. Can’t see him leaving. Plus, as a former FSU guy, I’m betting he has a natural hatred for UM.

28. really
    12:46 pm October 26, 2015 Permalink

^^^ CATS 123….Dan MULLENS didnt have MSU rank number #1 after his 4th season….that was last season this is his 7th season if ur gonna bitch get ur facts right at least…….if Stoops left who the hell is gonna replace him

29. memphiscat
    1:23 pm October 26, 2015 Permalink

Man can recruit but that is all. Has talent but can’t coach it. Sick of hearing we got out coached. He won’t continue to get recruiting results if he can’t win more than he has. Memphis has a good coach who is winning with less talent than we have. Made Ole Miss look sick. The difference is Memphis has coaches that can coach and recruit. We need to dump Stoops and grab another Memphis coach before someone else does.

30. Cats123
    1:42 pm October 26, 2015 Permalink

Really, it was year 6. I was incorrect, but so were you. Barely beating EKU and ULL in year 3 isn’t improvement. As for who we get, I guess we would have to see who is willing to take this position, but Stoops is not the answer. Anyone who thinks this is going well is truly in denial.

• Dangers
      3:13 pm October 26, 2015 Permalink

It’s going exactly as I’ve expected. From the beginning, I expected year 3 to be when we made a bowl, and we’re on track to do so. Stoops still makes some head coaching mistakes, but this is his first head coaching job. You can say I’m in denial, and I can say you’re impatient and are expecting miracles.

31. Dangers
    3:10 pm October 26, 2015 Permalink

We either have a lot of trolls on here or UK really doesn’t have a lot of good football fans. Or they’re just idiots.

32. Uk fan4life
    10:20 pm October 26, 2015 Permalink

Life long uk fan, U.K. Football fans are idiots. Everyone loved Rich Brookswhen he left but before that after his first three seasons record was 4-8, 2-9, & 3-8. All these same so called fans were calling for his head & guess what the next four years were: 8-4, 8-4, 7-5, & 7-5 & all these idiot so called fans calling for his head at the time all of sudden loved him for turning the program around. Well guess what? Took him 4 years to get there, point being this is Kentucky it takes time to build.