The NFL took down the Josh Allen banner on Broadway

Today is a very special day for Josh Allen and the Kentucky Football program, so of course, the NFL is trying to rain on the parade.

On Monday, UK debuted an enormous Josh Allen banner on the front of the Moxy Downtown hotel on Broadway in Nashville, but this morning, the Moxy had to take it down. The worst part? It came down minutes before Allen walked down Broadway to see it for himself.

Why did the NFL want the banner down? When it was first put up earlier this week, they complained about the NFL logo in the lower right corner, so the Moxy covered it up:

@FieldYates

Still, that wasn’t enough. After the NFL contacted UK about the banner, UK had to call Jamie Daniel, a partner in KSBar whose family is opening the Moxy, and tell him to take the banner down.

Apparently, the NFL isn’t cool with colleges celebrating their stars. Pathetic.

[mobile_ad]

40 Comments for The NFL took down the Josh Allen banner on Broadway

1. bigblue98
    10:12 am April 25, 2019 Permalink

Do they have the right to do that? I assume UK paid someone to put that up in the first place. Curious to know how this went down.

• Trinity45
      10:23 am April 25, 2019 Permalink

I do not think they do, it UK or someone outside the NFL paid for it and it was put up in accordance with the regulations of the City of Nashville. I don’t think the NFL has a right to cut it down, they can go to hell first.

• j
      10:29 am April 25, 2019 Permalink

I’m with you man.
      The logo? Maybe? But seems like BS for them to waltz into a city and make demands about private property. Crazy.

• Rod Crandler
      10:37 am April 25, 2019 Permalink

Nice call NFL. What a bunch of idiots. I would have told them to kiss my a$$

• J. Did
      4:03 pm April 25, 2019 Permalink

It was a great publicity stunt for Daniel and The Moxy.

2. ukcamel
    10:14 am April 25, 2019 Permalink

I mean, this is great for Kentucky. Streisand effect. More people will see this banner now than UK could’ve hoped for, I’d bet.

3. BullittCoCat
    10:21 am April 25, 2019 Permalink

Fire Goodell

4. BigJohnC
    10:21 am April 25, 2019 Permalink

For what??!

5. CATandMONKEY
    10:22 am April 25, 2019 Permalink

What effing right does the NFL have to take it down?

Zero.

If the logo isn’t on the picture…
    Roger may be the world’s biggest @$$.

6. StuckinLville
    10:26 am April 25, 2019 Permalink

Considering UK had nothing to with it. Seems like the family who owns the place did it and they are trying to tell them what to do with their business. I would have left it.

7. DerBaron
    10:30 am April 25, 2019 Permalink

As Jerry Granville said “NoFunLeague”

8. meeksfor3
    10:41 am April 25, 2019 Permalink

What a douchebag move

9. Bluebloodtoo
    10:46 am April 25, 2019 Permalink

How dare you try to get free advertising on our show?! That’s OUR show. You gotta pay like everyone else. Gotta love that capitalism….

10. LongTimeReader
    10:50 am April 25, 2019 Permalink

When Josh Allen is drafted, do you think ESPN will talk about this banner being taken down?

11. KYCat4EVER
    10:51 am April 25, 2019 Permalink

Thee N F L ?

Not the same entity that couldn’t get its own members to stand for the NATIONAL ANTHEM and took nearly 14 months to get grow a spine???

What a pathetic body of work these people are!

GO JOSH ALLEN….GO BIG BLUE!

12. CahillsCrossingNT
    10:58 am April 25, 2019 Permalink

Some of you commenting here need to look up facts about trademark laws.

• Iamheasyouarehe
      11:04 am April 25, 2019 Permalink

He covered up the NFL logo, then the NFL called UK and said something to them and they called the owner of the building and banner and had him take it down.

• Bluebloodtoo
      11:11 am April 25, 2019 Permalink

Just because you can do something doesn’t mean you should.

• makeitstop
      11:56 am April 25, 2019 Permalink

Blueblood is right. But legally, the logo had to come down – fine. The rest of the banner did not. He is not signed by anyone yet so no team even has the rights to his likeness. If he’s signed w an apparel manufacturer they could complain if it’s not their stuff, but the article says it was the NFL. Stellar citizens that they are, they can’t tell UK what to do w it’s images.

• Cahill, what does trademark law have to do with it once the shield is covered up? Are you saying UK can NEVER publish Josh or Benny’s photos again? I don’t think so. In fact, I know so, because you can buy old school college jerseys with players names on them. I’ve seen guys walking around with Magic Johnson and Earl Campbell college jerseys. I doubt the NBA or NFL get a cut of that or have any say in the matter.

The only qualifier I will offer is this: the NFL may have a case in that the shield had already been displayed, and therefore nothing short of a brand new banner sans logo would suffice. I dunno.

• Bluebloodtoo
      2:00 pm April 25, 2019 Permalink

The NFL could have threatened to file charges for the 2 days that the logo was in use unless UK removed it now. Given that information, UK would almost have to remove it. It’s not worth the cost of potential litigation, unfortunately.

13. Brutal Hustler
    11:01 am April 25, 2019 Permalink

When will the NFL learn doing things like this just exasperates the “issue”? Similar thing with them kicking out the Barstool guys during SB Media week. The public outrage of the NFL overstepping its bounds makes the initial “issue” such a larger deal when the media picks up on it

14. AppreciateTheCall
    11:10 am April 25, 2019 Permalink

This really stinks for Josh Allen and UK fans alike! Why comply with the NFL’s request to take the banner down???

15. AppreciateTheCall
    11:10 am April 25, 2019 Permalink

Dear Roger Goodell, Go suck an egg.

16. cathatter
    11:15 am April 25, 2019 Permalink

in the meantime…are they going to auction off the banner?

• KayutsBy90
      11:49 am April 25, 2019 Permalink

I’d be shocked if the banner doesn’t end up at UK somewhere.

17. dane82
    11:16 am April 25, 2019 Permalink

this makes me so angry, i’ve half a mind to continue devoting all my time and money to the NFL.

18. samodamo
    11:51 am April 25, 2019 Permalink

Wtf. I mean this is ridiculous, but now UK and Allen will get more air time bc of this. So it’s going to back fire right in their faces!!! I hope anyway. Lol

• makeitstop
      11:58 am April 25, 2019 Permalink

Yea the negative PR for the NFL will be good PR for us.

• dane82
      12:15 pm April 25, 2019 Permalink

no such thing as negative PR, at least for the NFL. look how much we’re all talking about them here, and unless we stop watching (we won’t), there’s no consequences for the NFL at all. we can run them down til the end of time but as long as we tune in on sundays they couldn’t care less.

• TPACAT
      1:59 pm April 25, 2019 Permalink

I did. Haven’t watched a single game since the POS millionaire thugs started running down the USA…

• Irwin R. Fletcher
      3:47 pm April 25, 2019 Permalink

@TPACAT I quit watching several years ago. But, if you’re looking for a POS, check any mirror

• makeitstop
      6:38 pm April 25, 2019 Permalink

I cancelled season tix to the Bucs bc of the league’s antics. My $4000 won’t hurt much but i let them know why.

19. Cousins Fake Tooth
    12:01 pm April 25, 2019 Permalink

So if they told the NFL to suck it, what could they do about it? Not a damn thing.

20. Cousins Fake Tooth
    12:06 pm April 25, 2019 Permalink

If the logo was covered, should of told the NFL to stuff it.

21. Zoeiris
    2:18 pm April 25, 2019 Permalink

So why couldn’t someone take a box cutter and just cut off the NFL logo and be done with it?

22. Carcrook
    2:36 pm April 25, 2019 Permalink

Why put the NFL shield on it in the first place…..SMH!!!!

23. jaws2
    4:37 pm April 25, 2019 Permalink

Just another reason I don’t watch the National Fix League. Sure, let’s get all butt hurt over a kid wanting to celebrate the biggest moments in his young life. Asssswipes.