The New UK Student Center’s Thursday Morning Wakeup

When I was in town last weekend for the Calipari Fantasy Camp, I couldn’t help but notice all the construction going on across from Memorial Coliseum. That’s the site of the new UK Student Center, a $175 million, 360,000-square foot facility that is quite possibly the fanciest building I’ve ever heard of. Earlier this week, UK released some details that showcase just how ridiculous it’s going to be. Here are some of the features:

• A 250 variable seat “Blue Box Theater” equipped with state of the art technology
  • Senate Chambers for the student government
  • A “Social Staircase” located in the center of the building. Inspired by the limestone creek and riverbeds, the staircase will allow students to socialize, relax and converse
  • Subway, Chick-fil-A, Panda Express, Greens to Go, Starbucks and other dining options
  • A state-of-the-art fitness complex
  • Outdoor social spaces
  • A 650-seat cinema
  • Two large multi-use ballrooms
  • A “fireside lounge” for studying

Not impressed yet? Watch this video:

I can’t say a lot because I went to a college that did our laundry for us, but good grief. You kids don’t know how good you’ll have it once that thing’s done in January 18. Just don’t complain too much when the Chick-Fil-A’s closed on Sundays, okay? We all need that reminder that you can’t have it all in life sometimes.

Here’s what’s going on today in the wonderful world of UK sports…

We’re one day closer to the Florida game

And it feels like this week has dragged by. Yesterday, DJ Eliot told reporters the defense has been focusing on shutting down Florida wide receiver DeMarcus Robinson, who torched the Cats last year with 15 receptions for 216 yards and two touchdowns. Who will be throwing Robinson the ball? Jim McElwain says both Will Grier and Treon Harris will play, but did not specify a starter. Both have the ability to scramble, particularly Harris, something that should make fans a little nervous.

Nervous until you remember this guy is our quarterback:

As expected, Kelvin Taylor’s “demotion” won’t last long

McElwain moved the junior tailback to third on the depth chart after his throat-slashing gesture against ECU, but, predictably, it sounds like Taylor will play plenty vs. Kentucky on Saturday. “A ton,” in fact.

“He’s a wonderful guy to be around,” McElwain said of Taylor, continuing a week’s worth of backtracking after his tirade. “He’ll play a ton Saturday night.”

Alright. We’ve been warned.

Will Ryan Flannigan play?

For the third straight week, we’ll wait to hear whether or not UK’s star linebacker will be able to suit up. Judging by Mark Stoops’ comments on the SEC teleconference yesterday, it doesn’t sound promising.

“Certainly, I’m a little concerned. I really don’t have an update other than his status has not changed. He is not cleared for contact yet. And it’s an issue as I mentioned before it could linger or he could wake up tomorrow and be cleared. We just have to prepare as if he will not be there this week.”

Jemele Hill sported a Throwboy Tee on Mike & Mike this morning

The BBN’s relationship with ESPN’s “His and Hers” cohost hasn’t been great (in 2009, she had to apologize to UK after taking a shot at Calipari and in April, said last year’s team shouldn’t be considered among the all-time greats in the sport), but it’s good to see Jared’s designs in the spotlight.

So, this Waka Flocka thing may happen for the Auburn game

On the radio show this week, Matt and Ryan threw around the idea of having rapper Waka Flocka perform “Grove Street Party” before the Auburn game. UK fan John Ross Gambrel took the idea and ran with it, starting a GoFundMe account to raise $30,000, Waka Flocka’s appearance fee. We all laughed at it yesterday, but KSR is hearing it might actually happen. According to our sources, Waka Flocka is free that day and UK is open to him coming. There’s a lot more to do to make this work, but it’s not as far-fetched as we first imagined.

I’m going to San Francisco tomorrow. Any recs?

After bringing you all the latest UK news in the most ridiculous manner possible today, my husband and I are headed to San Francisco/wine country for a week. I’ve never been before and you guys have never let me down, so please give me your recommendations.

We’re already planning on touring Alcatraz and doing all the super touristy things like the Golden Gate bridge, Lombard Street, Painted Ladies, Chinatown, etc. etc. We’re also going to watch the Florida game at Zeke’s, so if you’re in the area, please come join us. I hear it’s a wild time.

KSR in an hour

Grab your squad and get ready.

41 Comments for The New UK Student Center’s Thursday Morning Wakeup

1. Kyle
    9:07 am September 17, 2015 Permalink

Gotta go to Ghiradelli Square, Tyler. Granted, I have treasured childhood memories from there, so I’m biased. Even when I go back as an adult, though, its just so much fun to sit there and eat a delicious chocolate sundae.

2. RICK
    9:16 am September 17, 2015 Permalink

Tyler, I have been to wine country its nice and my recommendation is take plenty of COLD BEER with you.

3. Nashville Cat Mama
    9:25 am September 17, 2015 Permalink

There’s lots of good food out there. One of our favorites is Chez Panisse in Berkeley. Probably too late for a reservation but the cafe upstairs doesn’t require reservations. There are many good food places in wine country too, like the French Laundry or Col Mustard’s Grill. Take your credit card – the good ones are all expensive. There are sometimes good restaurants at wineries, Chandon, the sparkling wine maker, for example. You and Mr. TT have a wonderful time!

4. CatsBy80
    9:28 am September 17, 2015 Permalink

i could seriously watch that video of the guys dancing before the kickoff on repeat… would love to see that happen on saturday… that’s when you know swaggy cats are about to get loose.

5. Duff
    9:28 am September 17, 2015 Permalink

Rent bikes near fisherman’s wharf and you can take a bike path west all the way to the golden gate bridge. Stop at the fort mason hostel for coffee and breakfast, that is a must. That bike ride will not disappoint. Also, Zeke’s is the place!

6. Not a Mrs Tyler fan
    9:34 am September 17, 2015 Permalink

I’d like to get Mrs Tyler up to speed. Cause obviously she has no clue about the game. Patrick Towles is the biggest reason that we would be concern. With his inconsistency’s dating back to last year is what’s holding this team back. But we’re waiting. But I know he’s only a redshirt junior and we shouldn’ t expect to much from a guy who is actually a senior.

• CatsBy80
      9:43 am September 17, 2015 Permalink

so would you prefer we throw Drew Barker in the game? Just go ahead and give him the start?

• CATandMONKEY
      10:04 am September 17, 2015 Permalink

Obviously there is not yet a ban on dumba$$es posting their poorly worded and punctuated attempts at trolling.

None of us, the real fans, hate Drew. We simply have faith that the coaches who see these players every day will put our team in the best position to win games.

Dear lord, the more I read that post the greater my headache. My five-year old has a better command of English…and she still uses “baby talk.”

+1 for actually spelling Patrick’s last name correctly.

• J-Dub421
      11:02 am September 17, 2015 Permalink

So you think a freshman that hasn’t played a single snap in college is going to be more consistent than the junior who has a full year as a starter under his belt? Do you think at all?

• iRonnie
      12:17 pm September 17, 2015 Permalink

“Cause obviously she has no clue about the game.”

This is great….

• Delk for 3
      6:40 pm September 17, 2015 Permalink

Tyler is very knowledgeable about the game, but I do disagree with her about Towles. He makes me extremely nervous at times. I do not think he has proven much more than being a “decent” quarterback at times. He’s also shown to be a “poor” quarterback at others. I do believe that the coaches haven’t been thrilled with his play, and I do think Barker is much more in the picture than people believe. A stretch of bad series by Patrick, and I believe we see Barker running onto the field.

7. jonnypingpong
    9:42 am September 17, 2015 Permalink

Awesome video for Student Rec Centre … other than all in the inconsistencies in the K :/

8. Dusten
    10:07 am September 17, 2015 Permalink

Mrs. T, I spent the summer in San Francisco for an internship. My #1 recommendation is to eat pizza at Tony’s Pizza Napoletana in North Beach. It’s the best pizza I’ve ever had, and you can get it by the slice next door to the fancy restaurant. I don’t mean to be as fanatical as everyone else who is going to give you recommendations for SF, but trust me on this one. It’s a must do.

• Dusten
      10:14 am September 17, 2015 Permalink

It may be worth noting that “North Beach” is a neighborhood in San Francisco, not a different city. It’s also within a mile or so of Fisherman’s Wharf, the tourist hotspot others are recommending. I should also say, if you’re one of those people that hates feeling like a lame tourist, then don’t go to Fisherman’s Wharf.

9. California Dreaming
    10:08 am September 17, 2015 Permalink

I know the area very well. For wine, head towards Calistoga. Visit Catile di Amorosa. Take the tour. Make an appointment to visit Von Strassers, on black diamond mountain. Kinda I gives a great wine tour and tasting as well. Do lunch at the Rutherford Grill. It is a place where all of Napa’s wine makers hang out and evaluate their offerings against others.
    There is a general store, Oakwood Grocery, on the road into Napa in the oak wood district. The outside is deceiving. Go in, have them pack you a pic nic lunch very early in the morning, get a couple of bottles of wine, then head out north on hwy 101, take the exit for California hwy 1, the California Coastal Highway, take it south and enjoy one of the absolute most beautiful drives south to SF, crossing the Golden Gate Bridge. End your day at the Buena Vista, the bar that claims to have invented Irish coffee. While there, check out the Original LeRoy Neiman, hanging behind the bar, done years ago, featuring the bar and its staff.
    Cool trip. Have fun.

10. Virginia Cat
    10:19 am September 17, 2015 Permalink

Patrick, pleeeeeeeeeeeeeze stop shaking your hair back

11. Nashville Cat
    10:32 am September 17, 2015 Permalink

If you go to Napa Valley, the best restaurant is Tra Vigne, located in St. Helena with seating in their private outdoor courtyard. Their mozzarella grilled bruschetta is amazing. As for a winery, Anderson Conn Valley, also in St. Helena, is a must and if you can make arrangements, they may host tastings in their cave.

12. C-A-T-S
    10:43 am September 17, 2015 Permalink

It’s a speak-easy that only serves high-end cocktails with incredible ambience. Must have reservations (made online). Pretty awesome!

13. JJ
    10:44 am September 17, 2015 Permalink

I just got back from San Fran/Nappa. Go to the SOMA Streatfood Market, and find the food truck “Bacon Bacon.” You’re welcome. I was mainly there for business but I ate at a restaurant in Nappa called Fume Bistro for a quick appetizer. The Mac n cheese was phenomenal.

14. Scott
    10:45 am September 17, 2015 Permalink

Chinatown is a must see and a great way to eat on the cheap. Just don’t eat at any of the tourist restaurants on the main drag. That’s not real Chinese food and is overpriced to boot. Instead go a block or two off of the main commercial area in Chinatown and look for any little dumpling, noodle, or dim-sum shop with only Chinese people eating there. The menus are generally on the wall, in Chinese not English, but there will be a glass case displaying everything they offer. You can just point at a variety of things that look good and they’ll box it up for you. You may not know what you’re eating but you won’t be disappointed, the food is fantastic and very inexpensive by San Fran standards. We like to take our food down to the Presidio Park and have a picnic with a great view of the Golden Gate bridge and all the sailboats out in the bay.

15. billy b
    10:49 am September 17, 2015 Permalink

Since you are doing the Golden Gate Bridge, I recommend you go to Scoma’s restaurant in Sausalito. It’s just across the bridge and down a big hill. On the waterfront, with spectacular views looking back at San Francisco.

• VinD
      11:14 am September 17, 2015 Permalink

100% this! Sausalito is a great spot. The Scoma’s there is much better than the Scoma’s in the Wharf. Sausalito has a ton of cool little bars and shops. The views are unparalleled.

16. Leigh
    10:58 am September 17, 2015 Permalink

Tyler, you MUST visit Alcatraz Island. They give everyone their own headset that guides you through a tour on your own pace. Ghiradelli Square. Take a trolley car down a street. There is an In N Out burger near the pier if that’s your thing. Some great restaurants include Street Restaurant, really cool ambiance and great food. And the literal best tacos I’ve ever had, Nick’s Crispy Taco, get a fish taco Nick’s way and you’ll thank me later. There are several locations around the city. Also, I lived there for a few months and I would recommend just taking walks and seeing where it takes you. It is a very walkable city. Another suggestion would the Haight-Ashbury district, which is where all the Summer of Love ’69/hippie culture went down. It is cool to walk through that area and see all the graffiti and shops. You can’t go wrong in San Fran.

17. Badboy
    11:25 am September 17, 2015 Permalink

We just got back from our second trip to Napa. I wholeheartedly agree with the other poster that “Tra Vigne, located in St. Helena with seating in their private outdoor courtyard. Their mozzarella grilled bruschetta is amazing.”

Having visited over 20 wineries, by far the best wineries to visit are Signorello, Darioush and Quintessa. Signorello and Darioush are next door to each other. Spend the extra money for the Enoteca at Signorello (foods prepared by their private chef) and the “By Invitation Only” at Darioush, where you are in the owner’s private cellar and have small bites crafted by their private chef. They are a touch expensive and reservations are required (can be done online), but they are well worth it.

18. RICK
    11:29 am September 17, 2015 Permalink

Who gives a crap about spelling on this site. If that’s all you got shut up.

• Leuther
      12:11 pm September 17, 2015 Permalink

Well said. Rhite Power!!

19. SHAWN KEMP
    12:04 pm September 17, 2015 Permalink

Go to molotovs don’t wear google glass… (google it)

20. Joe
    12:34 pm September 17, 2015 Permalink

Do not go to Twin Peaks. We had our rental van broken into there in the middle of the day while we were on top of one of the peaks.

21. BurpinTurpin
    1:22 pm September 17, 2015 Permalink

You should check out Coit Tower, if you get a chance. Also, the enormous Civic Center is worth a drive by. Definitely take a cable car ride.

22. TPACAT
    1:26 pm September 17, 2015 Permalink

“F” Jemele Hill. Racist B***h!

• Leuther
      1:46 pm September 17, 2015 Permalink

Well said. Rhite power!

23. BtownUKFan
    1:30 pm September 17, 2015 Permalink

Tyler, I tweeted you a few recommendations last night. I’ve been to San Francisco/Napa four times. If you are looking for another road trip besides Napa, the drive down to Carmel by the Sea along Hwy 1 is spectacular and Carmel is a great town for browsing. I’ve eaten at Rutherford’s Grill definitely worthy of a lunch trip as well. I still one would put V. Sattui Winery at the top of my list. You can’t get Gamay Rouge anywhere else, their Reislings, Zin’s and Cabernet Savignon are all top notch.You can cover Fisherman’s Wharf, Ghirardelli and Lumbar in a day. If you are up for a curvy ride to the top Mt. Diablo offers amazing views in all four directions. That trip would take an entire afternoon, it is east of Oakland.

• theSkinny81
      1:40 pm September 17, 2015 Permalink

Carmel-By-The-Sea is a nice place. A good friend of mine is the head chef at Andre’s Bouchee. Terrific food.

24. SLCcat
    2:20 pm September 17, 2015 Permalink

If you want to spend a bit but get one of the best meals in the country, try Restaurant Gary Danko (one of the few critically acclaimed restaurants in the Fishermans Wharf area, which is generally VERY touristy). It’s really nice but not too stuffy (I’ve eaten at French Laundry and Charlie Trotter’s and multiple other high end places that are way too stuffy to enjoy your meal). The other cool thing they did when I was there was let you order 5 things from any part of the menu you wanted. Lots of places offer a pre fix 5 course menu, but your choices are limited. There, you could order any 5 things you wanted. Also, if you like French bistro food try Bouchon in Yountville.

25. @sexytoupe
    4:15 pm September 17, 2015 Permalink

When in Chinatown visit a bakery and they will ask if you want a “pork bun” because that must be what all white people order. Also carry cash because they don’t do credit/debt in a lot of Chinatown stores.

26. Les Berry
    4:50 pm September 17, 2015 Permalink

Dinner in San Francisco at “The Stinking Rose”…Yum

27. Mrs. Tyler Thompson
    4:55 pm September 17, 2015 Permalink

Thanks for all the recommendations, guys! Can’t wait to try them out.

28. oddthomas
    5:28 pm September 17, 2015 Permalink

Tyler if you like hiking and giant trees, go to Muir woods just north of San Fran. These are giant redwoods and it is something to behold. 25′ wide at base and 300′ tall

29. Heather Tungate
    10:39 pm September 17, 2015 Permalink

Hey idiot who called Tyler out. You do realize UF gave up over 300 yards passing last week against ECU and two or three TDs in the air? If Towles is half as accurate as he was the last game, UK puts up 40+ on the Gators.

30. Tampa satchel
    11:22 pm September 18, 2015 Permalink

V. Sattui winery. Best small batch winery in the valley. A great place for a romantic picnic. Enjoy!