The Keys aren’t Totally in Drew Barker’s Hands

UK Athletics

UK Athletics

UK Athletics

Mark Stoops’ final radio show of the season was tonight, but he was only featured for a short segment.  On the road for a big recruiting week, Stoops called in with a few nuggets of information.

He confirmed that Drew Barker is the starting quarterback as the program moves forward without Patrick Towles, but he did leave the opportunity open for Reese Phillips to make a move in the Spring.  Phillips will be a redshirt Junior next Fall, acting only as the holder for the placekicker after recovering from an Achille’s injury during Spring Practice.  If you’ll recall, Reese nearly won the competition over Towles two years ago.

Another semi-encouraging nugget…Stoops praised the linebacker transfers, Minnesota’s De’Niro Laster and Nebraska’s Courtney Love.  Love displayed leadership on the scout team and Laster was extremely agsressive.  Stoops used the word “unblockable” to describe them, but I don’t know how much that means against UK’s offensive line.  Both will be eligible to play next Fall.

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

26 Comments for The Keys aren’t Totally in Drew Barker’s Hands

1. keiths
    7:08 pm December 1, 2015 Permalink

Yeah and ryan flanigan was supposed to be the next ray lewis.these guys wouldnt know a good linebacker from a pile of sh*t

2. thenamerobdigity
    7:23 pm December 1, 2015 Permalink

This is not factual. Phillips was not close to winning the starting job.

• Nick Roush
      7:40 pm December 1, 2015 Permalink

I mean, I was told before that Spring Game that Reese was going to win the game-time decision, but it changed last minute.

• Nick, you’re certainly closer to the program than us lowly readers, so I’ll defer to you, but I thought the same thing as #2 when I read this. I know Barker wound up being redshirted, but all the stories I seem to remember indicated that the competition was between Barker and Towles.

3. Twick39
    7:25 pm December 1, 2015 Permalink

Who cares? It’s basketball season and has been for a month

4. kyjohn
    7:38 pm December 1, 2015 Permalink

Seems like we have heard these nuggets before.When i see performance by these guys on the field against SEC competition then i might believe it.

5. BluKudzu
    7:42 pm December 1, 2015 Permalink

Everyone should care about Football at UK. If you want to see UK basketball remain at the top, the money has to come from somewhere, and like it or not, that somewhere is UK football. If we had to pay the athletic bills, off of UK basketball, or any other sport, it would be difficult to do, even if it was at all possible.
    A couple years of empty seats, even at 75% capacity, would be hurting the athletics program, significantly.
    We start losing fan support in Football, we will see losses in many of the gains made.
    Caywood Ledford said it best, “Football coaches do not get fired for losing seasons, they get fired for lack of fans in the seats.”

• Leroy Bird - 00
      7:46 pm December 1, 2015 Permalink

Great points. Regardless of how folks want to check out about football, it is far and away the most important financial hinge in the athletics program. We do get a nice check from the ESPN boys regardless, but by and large we need butts in seats with regularity.

I am really, really, hopeful we can make a better show of it next year.

• leon singleton
      7:59 pm December 1, 2015 Permalink

Bull crap 90 football scolarships vs 13 on basketball. 40 basketball games vs 11 football.

• UK Big Board Update
      8:11 pm December 1, 2015 Permalink

I thought it was common knowledge that football makes more than basketball, and it wasn’t close?

leon must have missed that memo.

• BluKudzu
      8:38 pm December 1, 2015 Permalink

I am first and foremost a football fan, I am also a fan of UK sports. I get beat up in here regularly when I post my observations about UK football. I know how important to the athletics program a football team is. That is why I am somewhat critical of fiscal irresponsibility, and lack of competitiveness in the SEC, much less the cupcakes. I may seem to be a troll to most, but actually, besides wanting to see UK football at the top, I want it to be there for the health and growth of the entire athletics program at UK. Like what I write or not, I am a true UK fan, not afraid to ask for better, and question why we should not get it.
      @UK Big Board Update – your comment is exactly correct. UK football is by far the money maker of all the sports, and it is not even close.

• BigBlueBoom
      9:02 pm December 1, 2015 Permalink

Yes, it’s the money maker but not because of butts in seats. Having 8 home games a year and even with sell-out crowds only brings in a few hundred thousand, not even taking expenses of game-day into account. The money football brings in is from being in the SEC…SEC revenue sharing and TV contracts. That’s where millions come in, not measly hundred thousands.

• BigBlueBoom
      9:04 pm December 1, 2015 Permalink

Lol wait, I’m dumb. Butts in seats brings in millions. My bad. Didn’t think that thru. But I still think the most money comes from sec revenue and tv

• whatwasthat
      10:27 pm December 1, 2015 Permalink

It’s common knowledge that football rules the national landscape both professionally and collegiality and that the revenue from football on the college level foots most if not all the bills for most programs, here at UK basketball (mens) pays for itself but most programs rely on their football revenue. Leon is just a tad short on brain power. Amazing how all these clowns come on football articles and want to say its basketball season, while the comment section for the basketball articles are dead. Football rules always has and always will, will UK be any good at it, who knows but hopefully the day will come that they are. GO CATS.

• whatwasthat
      10:39 pm December 1, 2015 Permalink

Bigblueboom ESPN and the other networks aren’t paying out the billions in rights for basketball it’s for football rights, basketball just gets to tag along. It football that drives the revenue to such ridiculous amounts.

• UoKFB PHAN
      1:10 am December 2, 2015 Permalink

Does anyone know if the UK Athletics Department posts how much it makes from football and basketball after expenses have been removed? I know football brings in the majority of the cash but it would be interesting to see the percentage each sport bring in. It would also be interesting to know what percentage of football revenue come from TV, ticket sales, concessions sales and football merchandise sales. Does anyone have any links?

6. Scrappy Cat
    7:44 pm December 1, 2015 Permalink

I love it that someone is already trying to start a QB contraversy for next year. All of the ignorance from media and fans alike about the QB position is astounding. If this team doesn’t improve it’s horrendous OL play, receivers don’t get coached up better and quit dropping every other pass, and the offensive play calling doesn’t improve it won’t make a rats behind of a difference who plays QB because they will look like crap. Everybody cried all year that Towles was awful and if the coaching staff would just play Barker we would miraculously be better. Well, they played him last Saturday and he went 6 for 22 against a bad Louisville team. The offense looked worse than at any time during the season. I’m not picking on Barker at all he has plenty of potential to be good, but not under the conditions that the QB has had to play under this year. Towles was unfairly blamed for the horrible offensive play of a bad team and we seen Saturday that a QB change certainly didn’t fix the problem.

• Preach it brother!

• CATandMONKEY
      8:43 pm December 1, 2015 Permalink

Amen.

• tippytoe
      9:35 pm December 1, 2015 Permalink

Dropping every OTHER pass? And the biggest culprit not only gets to play, but is the number one target.
      This is why among other things people are questioning if Bob is the only one with head coaching moxie among the Stoops brothers.

• UK Big Board Update
      10:56 pm December 1, 2015 Permalink

^^^ You thought UK had never beaten Petrino, either. Calm down…

• J-Dub421
      12:24 am December 2, 2015 Permalink

I said the same thing months ago and a bunch of people jumped down my throat for it. Glad to see others recognize this.

• UoKFB PHAN
      1:26 am December 2, 2015 Permalink

I’m with you Scrappy C… FIX THE O-LINE FIRST… and then let the receivers know if you continue to drop catchable passes then you will spend more time on the bench than on the field. Any QB will struggle when you have those issues.

Yes, Patrick made some bad decisions and bad throws during the season but the biggest problem was the protection. This is just my take but as we got later in to a game and Patrick kept getting pressure… I think he got a little ‘antsy’ in the pocket… which resulted in passes being off target.. just a little high, a little low or a little behind the receiver… just enough for an incompletion.

7. Rixter
    9:20 pm December 1, 2015 Permalink

If only the Cats’ Won-Loss record were based on Mark Stoops bravado. They would sure be playing Clemson for the trophy.

• Rixter
      9:26 pm December 1, 2015 Permalink

Didn’t UK beat Florida State and Clemson in bowl games in back to back years just a few seasons ago?

8. buzzard