With the bye week looming and no Kentucky games to look forward to this weekend–we have no enemy to preview, no stats to pour over, no comparisons to make, no opponents to analyze, no mildly inappropriate photoshops to create. Big Blue Nation has an entire 14-day break between games to fill with other things. Saturday might feel a little empty, but perhaps you can use a few of the following “Do’s and Don’ts” tips for the impending bye week.
– DO spend the weekend doing things your significant other wants to do… that way you won’t feel guilty over the next few Saturdays when you devote all of your time to once again watching college football.
– DO start making plans for next weekend’s all day/into the night tailgate. After two straight weekends of noon kickoffs, we need to make sure to soak up every ounce of the fun of a 7 p.m. start.
– DON’T write down new plays and send them to the coaching staff, or feel like you need to be the one to solve the quarterback questions for the Cats. As much as we all enjoy being the Sunday morning quarterback, let’s trust that the coaching staff has the most access to the QBs day in and day out , and will put the team in the best position to win come game day.
– DON’T think that for one week everyone suddenly cares about your fantasy football team. They don’t. They won’t. They never will.
– DON’T tweet about the iOS7 iPhone update.
– DO find excuses to think about and/or talk about the upcoming basketball season and how amazing it’s going to be.
– DO watch Randall Cobb play every Sunday and swoon over his green eyes.
– DO catch a local high school football game. There’s just something about the environment of a high school football game that you can’t quite get anywhere else. Even if it’s not the school you attended, find a game that’s supposed to be good– preferably even between two rivals, and just take a walk down memory lane and enjoy the evening.
– DON’T catch any diseases you won’t be able to easily rid yourself of… I’d even stay away from the ones that are easy to rid yourself of…
– DO consider needle-pointing Doron Lamb’s advice on life into something you can put on your Pinterest page.
– DO find a good book to read
– DON’T get so attached to that book that you feel the need to bring it with you to Commonwealth Stadium next Saturday when the Florida Gators come to town.
– DON’T continue stressing out about Stanley Johnson’s tweet concerning Kelly Oubre.
– DO start thinking of clever words to rhyme with Oubre, because it’s looking good for him to come to Kentucky.
– DON’T wear a fedora. (This rule applies to every day of every week, not just bye week)
– DO burn a fedora if you already own one.
– DO eat some solid and healthy meals. And consider taking it easy on the booze for the weekend. Your liver might need the recovery time for next week’s marathon tailgate with Florida.
– DO expect to hear/see at least 50 conversations about Johnny Football.
– DON’T expect to hear anything new or earth shattering about him.
– DO enjoy your Saturday and get ready for the Cats to try to pull an upset over a Florida program we haven’t beaten in my lifetime.