The Belief is There, the Results…Soon.

In this transition year for Kentucky football, it’s all about attitude.

Attitude was the main reason Joker Phillips’ career at UK didn’t quite pan out, and it is the reason the Cats are still pushing capacity crowds at Commonwealth Stadium this season despite lackluster performances. What made the end of Rich Brooks’ time at Kentucky so successful was obviously the ability to upset and beat teams on a semi-regular basis, but it was the fan and team attitude that spurred from this. The belief that every time out on the field, there was going to be a chance that the Cats could come away with a victory. As a kid, even when we played Alabama on the road and LSU at home one year, me and everyone else in Lexington still walked around with a swagger that we could pull off the win.

Just that little bit of hope. That slight twinge of belief. That is the most important part of the Kentucky football program. Usually this attitude comes after prolonged success, but in this case, we have to go backwards. We have to employ that attitude of hopefulness and optimism BEFORE the big wins come instead of after. It’s not easy to do, but it makes all the difference. The disparity is simple and easy to see. The Cats don’t have the caliber of players that any other team in the SEC does. If we want a chance to recruit and gain those type of players however, high school kids around the nation have to see that this fan base isn’t just going to disappear and leave after one season. They have to see the attitude of belief, to make them want to come to Lexington and give the fans basis behind that belief.

This isn’t a call to action. At this point in the season I’d say fans have done a great job. Walking around the tailgating areas yesterday was full of energy of optimism. Most Cats fans genuinely had some sort of belief that Kentucky could somehow win that game against Florida. Obviously the Cats fell short of a victory, but many people are still holding their heads high about the future of this program. Raymond Sanders said it best “We definitely thought we could beat these guys,” and so did the stadium. It’s going to take extended periods of this belief and maybe some luck, but one day we won’t have to hope, we’ll know.

@WilderTreadKSR

Article written by Wilder Treadway

KSR Alpha Class '12 #holla

29 Comments for The Belief is There, the Results…Soon.

1. Just sayin
    8:42 pm September 29, 2013 Permalink

Brown wants 75 plays and 20 first downs on offense … UK got 47 plays and 12 first downs.
    1-27 on third down plays the past two games.

Maybe the staff should think about shaking up the offense. The skill guys aren’t getting it done and most are Stoops troops.

2. lonnieb
    8:44 pm September 29, 2013 Permalink

just saying

the QB’s are not great and they are not stoops troops. The talent in the skill players are much better than the last 2 seasons…and its not even close
    Problem=QB

My only thought is why we have not gave towles a shot….he is not gonna play next year anyone

3. JRock1966
    8:57 pm September 29, 2013 Permalink

As long as I have been following UK football, if I only had a dime for every time I have read or heard about “We have to employ that attitude of hopefulness and optimism BEFORE the big wins come instead of after,” then I would be a very rich man. And the correct English is “everyone else and I.”

4. Lisa
    8:58 pm September 29, 2013 Permalink

Great post! I completely agree with you. I get so fired up for every game because I know we are headed in the right direction. Instead of watching a train wreck it’s like watching a house being built from the ground up. I’m really excited for the future. I just hope the fans stay with it. We need that more than anything else right now!

5. DB11
    9:09 pm September 29, 2013 Permalink

I wouldn’t completely trash our O, we did just play two of the best defenses in the country in a row.

6. theSkinny81
    9:15 pm September 29, 2013 Permalink

2 – Careful – dude likes to resort to name-calling if you call him on his BS. 😉

7. NL
    9:32 pm September 29, 2013 Permalink

Just saying:

Surely you are not saying the timmons, blue, montgomery, badet, and kemp are our problems on offense

8. NL
    9:33 pm September 29, 2013 Permalink

*that

9. Greg
    9:46 pm September 29, 2013 Permalink

I’m young, not as young a you, but when I was a kid we sucked. The highlights were a near Marty Moore heroic play in the peach bowl muffed in typical UK fashion and the couch outback bowl that we now did not loose, nor did we win in the eyes of the NCAA due to the Jerry Sandusky fiasco. Couch was fun to watch and we beat a not so great Alabama team. The brooks era was by far the best, that isn’t impossible to recapture and maybe even exceed. The combination of a dominant sec, heck even vandy’s good and the ole ball coach in Columbia, and the absolute momentum atomic bomb that was the joker era will make this an arduous and timely process

10. Sameolebull$hit
    9:55 pm September 29, 2013 Permalink

They said the same crap when I was a young boy when Claiborne was hired, then people were on cloud 9 when Bill Curry was hired, then Mumme and on and on and on and on…

People have been asking UK fans to keep swallowing loss after loss, year after year, with the promise of “soon”. Bull$hit.

Neal Brown is a fool, he couldn’t execute a panty raid, let alone the air raid. Stoops has recruited well, but is lost as a head coach.

After giving it my all for 40+ years, I am at the seeing is believing. Right now, all I see is the same ole bull$hit, getting our @sses kicked every Saturday.

So far, it’s StoopsP00ps.

11. Indiana Tom
    10:04 pm September 29, 2013 Permalink

I feel very confident with our new coaching staff. Everyone knew this year was going to be tough but a true cat fan will stick with these kids and see some good wins in the next couple of years. I am confident we will see some winning seasons in the near future.

12. same ole same ole
    10:08 pm September 29, 2013 Permalink

I have followed UK football since 1981. As a previous poster stated, we have been feed the same crap since Claiborne. One thing is certain, nothing ever changes. In comes another coach and we get the same result. I know I know, give him time…like we did with Claiborne, Curry (8 LONG years), Joker, and now stoops. I have to admit Brooks was semi-successful and had Barnfart used the momentum could have hired a head coach, not a guy with no resume. Hiring Joker was a no no the day he was announced as coach in waiting. That one was easy to see. Barnfart wanted to make a statement and well, he did. UK, hopefully, at some point will wise up and hire an experienced coach. Guys with no head coaching experience cant cut it at UK. It is a tough place to win, ie, SEC East, poor in state talent, competitive recruiting holes to pull from, and poor tradition.

13. same ole same ole
    10:14 pm September 29, 2013 Permalink

Stoops is like the weekly special. It sounds great until you find out that everyone has one.

14. Same ole dumbasses
    10:23 pm September 29, 2013 Permalink

You guys are welcome to stop watching UK. It’s funny because everyone knew this year would be bad and yet here we are with guys ready to jump ship because, well we arent good. Just like we thought would happen. Calm down or just shut up.

15. tombanjo
    10:25 pm September 29, 2013 Permalink

when does kenny powers get put in?

16. Some Guy in Kentucky
    10:35 pm September 29, 2013 Permalink

UK needs to have some under center 3rd and short plays. Florida ran shotgun, but on 3rd and 1, they ran under center.

17. Clint
    10:36 pm September 29, 2013 Permalink

Yes this is frustrating to say the least to watch. I think we will get better, not the next 2 weeks, but we will get better. Maybe not good enough for alot of fans. I don’t worry about the so called {bandwagon fans}, because they will jump ship until we play a really good game then they’re back on. Stay with the team because they NEED us NOW. Let’s make them feel like they are better than they may be. It won’t hurt. I think alot of this IS coaching right now. This is a new staff and everyone needs a chance to susceed or fail. Give the coaches and team some time. I hope it’s not a long time. I thought we would win 2 maybe 3 games this year. New coaches, tough schedule, bad players,etc. is all happening this year. Wait a couple years and then jump ship ok? lol Anyway keep the faith this team needs our support Now not later. Go Blue

18. scUKfan22
    10:38 pm September 29, 2013 Permalink

You know what guy’s? We have heard all this before and coaches and players have changed and we still lose. So whats the one thing that has stayed the same? Negativity, dont all you cry baby losers think maybe your attitude plays a part in all this? I know if i was a high school kid i wouldnt want to play for.people who are going to turn their back on me when things are tough. Do you people remember the fans attitude in 2006 when brooks turned it around? do you remember the we believe signs? Maybe a little support goes a long way, sure were in tough times right now but i see these guys working, i see “stoops troops” making an impact, and i see defensive players who couldnt make a tackle last year out there making plays. Winners stick together and fight through times like these and losers quit. You dont want to be a part of this thats fine just quit on the guys but when the wins come dont try to hop back on the train.

19. jpg
    11:09 pm September 29, 2013 Permalink

10, most of us have not seen great football from UK over the years, but the difference is, this is the first time UK has actually invested in a Staff. This staff has a winning pedigree! The problem is, they are trying to fit players that they did not recruit into their schemes. These are players that were not highly recruited. They were also underdeveloped by the previous staff.

You add those factors to a loaded schedule, and the recipe for a tough year is there.

It is like when UL fans give me crap about our struggles this year, and I remind them about losses to teams like FIU and Marshal in Strong’s 2nd season.

This going to take time, and we as a fan-base need to back them up.

20. Tim from Hendo
    12:01 am September 30, 2013 Permalink

I have been believing and will continue to do so. We are on the right path. Go Big Blue!!!

21. JPhelps
    12:03 am September 30, 2013 Permalink

Why did my last comment get moderated out? I said nothing derogatory towards anyone!

22. JPhelps
    12:05 am September 30, 2013 Permalink

I basically said the same thing 15 said, maybe if I cuss in my name, I won’t be moderated!

23. just saying
    12:20 am September 30, 2013 Permalink

well atleast Joker recruited “great young talent” with SEC experience (all we heard last year from KSR)….oh Wait, now “we dont have the talent to compete”.

Well atleast we have a new strength and training coach and we are ultra conditioned, oh wait we crumble in the third quarter of every game because we’re “gassed” at half time.

Well atleast we have a great offense coordinator that will score points, oh wait we cant score on ANYONE except Miami of Ohio, and look LOST on third down ALL year

Well atleast we have a great defensive minded coach, oh wait we have ONE interception all year and we we do Florida’s QUARTERBACK runs him down, then we cant even take advantage of it.

Sing and dance this “we will see results soon”. Raymond sanders did say it best “we thought we could beat these guys”, but then went out and got our A$$ handed to us.

24. Lip set
    12:26 am September 30, 2013 Permalink

Lordy!! First it’s “I think all the UK fans thought we had a chance of upsetting Florida” and then it’s “I think we all new it would be a tough rebuilding year”.

Guess what….Little Western ky is in a rebuild mode with a new coach and THEY STOMPED US ON A NEUTRAL SITE!! Now why exactly should we expect our program to grow any quicker or ever surpass Westerns?

25. Brian
    1:30 am September 30, 2013 Permalink

#23 — I have a remedy to your plight: go jump off a bridge. Just sayin’….

Whiner.

26. Tim from Hendo
    3:41 am September 30, 2013 Permalink

Lip set is a troll. Thought he was with lil’ bro. But i guess he belongs to Bobby Petrino. So, I hope 23 gives him a hand to hold. When off the bridge 23 goes.

27. ile757
    8:30 am September 30, 2013 Permalink

#14 your spot on. this is an improvement from last year. Stoops recruits have produced but remember they r true freshmen or JUCO. once experience and a couple of years under their belt UK will be competing in the SEC. 2015 will be the year for the CATS.

28. Nonsense
    9:14 am September 30, 2013 Permalink

#23–Your comment is nonsense.

First, it is Stoops that has recruited the great young talent for this year, not Joker. That talent is real and they are doing great for true freshmen, whom you generally don’t expect to play in their first year.

Second, the strength and conditioning are there but we don’t have enough SEC quality players…yet. Anyone will get tired after 3 quarters of grueling football. The teams we play have more bodies to run in and out of the game and therefore, they are fresher in the second half than we are.

Third, our offensive coordinator has proven himself in big time football and will do so again, once we have more talent and experience and, most importantly, a consistent QB.

Fourth, our Defense is much better than last year. Stoops and Elliot make solid adjustments during the game and the pre-game preparation is good. Again, just a question of getting more talent and more bodies who can contribute.

Fifth, of course Raymond Sanders thought UK could beat Florida. So did others. The key word and thought here is “could.” No one can guarantee a win over a quality opponent. This team has put out effort all year and I think they will continue to do so. That’s all we can ask.

It is obvious you either are a troll or a person with a serious problem with negative thought patterns and a loser mentality. Either way, I hope you change your life. In the meantime, try to use more common sense with your posts.

29. Lipset
    11:25 am September 30, 2013 Permalink

28)- A UK football fan with a losers mentality?? I can’t imagine why….