Skip to content

Kentucky Sports Radio

University of Kentucky Basketball, Football, and Recruiting news brought to you in the most ridiculous manner possible.

Terry Wilson’s hypothetical, motivational bulletin board has to be full by now, right?

After missing most of the 2019-20 season due to injury, getting trolled by his own conference’s Twitter account and watching the national media continue to doubt his team’s chances for the (hopefully) upcoming season, Terry Wilson probably didn’t need any more fuel on his fire.

Last year, his season-ending injury allowed him plenty of time for rehabbing and dreaming of his eventual comeback. Don’t forget he’s a soon-to-be father (the BBN should understand “Dad strength” by now – see: Josh Allen, Lynn Bowden). If Terry Wilson has a bulletin board displayed near his locker, it’s surely already been filled with plenty of preseason motivation.

Athlon Sports wants to give him something else to add. The publication, best known for its preseason predictions, issued quite the backhanded compliment on Saturday. Here’s how UK football’s season preview and predictions feature was presented:

“If a quarterback emerges — and that’s a big if — there is enough talent and depth elsewhere to make it easy to imagine a special season for Kentucky in 2020.”

A big if? Let’s not forget Terry Wilson is 12-3 as a starter for Kentucky. Vince Marrow certainly doesn’t want you to forget.

The article in its entirety isn’t as eye roll inducing as the tweet may suggest (shocking, I know). Here’s the section about Kentucky’s quarterback question mark:

There are options at quarterback, but all have questions. Former starter Terry Wilson should be back after suffering a season-ending knee injury in the second game last season, but it is unclear how much rust he will need to shake off. Sawyer Smith started three games after Wilson’s injury but struggled while battling shoulder and wrist ailments. Auburn transfer Joey Gatewood, a former top-50 recruit and powerful runner, could push for the starting job even if Wilson is healthy, but he needs a waiver from the NCAA to play immediately.

Athlon Sports actually makes a decent point: the BBN hasn’t seen Wilson compete since September 7, 2019, and it is unclear how much rust Wilson will have to shake off when the college football season officially begins. The rest of the article is fair and balanced, too. However, Wilson – along with his coaches and teammates – has been adamant for weeks he’ll be fully ready for a return this fall.

In late May, Wilson told KSR he’s at 90 percent, with the remaining 10 percent still affecting the general strength of his leg, not necessarily the knee itself.

“I’m running full-speed. I’m cutting, doing the little things. The knee’s feeling fine. It’s getting back to how it was,” Wilson told KSR’s Nick Roush in a 20-minute Zoom conversation. “I’m still strengthening my quad of course, but the knee overall is fine. The knee isn’t a problem at all. The rest of that is strengthening my leg. I’m feeling fine.”

As his hypothetical bulletin board continues to fill up with social media screenshots and maybe even some old-fashioned magazine clippings displaying outsiders’ doubts, there’s still plenty of time for national pundits and his SEC competition to keep doubting his abilities.

If history is any indication, that’s just the way Terry Wilson likes it.

[Athlon Sports]

Article written by Maggie Davis

I love sports, podcasts, long walks on the beach and Twitter (@MaggieDavisKSR)