Terry Wilson will Start as Gunnar Hoak Receives more Practice Reps

One unexpected outcome from Kentucky’s victory over Vanderbilt is a quarterback controversy.

Despite Kentucky’s 6-1 record, UK’s passing game has struggled through the last ten quarters, culminating with an 18-yard passing performance from Terry Wilson last Saturday.  Terry is still Mark Stoops’ guy, but Stoops leaving his options open.

“Terry’s our starting quarterback,” Stoops said at today’s press conference.  “He’s going to start this week, but we certainly need to look at the other guys and see if they can get an opportunity to get in there and play and help us win. We’ll have a plan and we’ll work Gunnar pretty extensively this week and have him ready to play as well.”

Stoops cannot pinpoint why Wilson has struggled recently. Some of the blame rests on the coaches’ shoulders. From the outside, it looks like a confidence issue. Stoops is not so sure.

“I don’t know. I don’t think so. I talked to Terry today before this and he doesn’t see it that way.”

Stoops can see on film what Terry must do to improve.

“Getting the quarterback to pull the pin and make accurate throws and to trust himself. He has done that this year. He has been successful. He has put us in a position to get to the spot we’re in right now.  But he’s also not played his best in the past couple of games.”

The wind likely played a factor in Wilson’s hesitancy to let the ball fly against Vanderbilt.  The gusts all but eliminated the prospects of a vertical passing game, however, the wind does not excuse all of Wilson’s mistakes.

“There were times where he could’ve thrown the ball and didn’t. That needs to be fixed. That I can’t defend,” said Stoops.

Kentucky’s head coach believes Wilson can do what it takes for this team to be successful.  He’s seen Wilson do it time and time again through seven games.  The line will be drawn in the sand if and when Wilson is a detriment to his team’s success.

“There were set opportunities that we didn’t throw the ball that we need to get fixed and I’m confident we will.  Terry has done that.  He’s played winning football for us and put us in a position to win a lot of games.  We greatly appreciate that and he’ll continue to do that. He will start, but once again, I owe an obligation to the rest of our team to put us in a position to win games so you have to have other guys ready to go.”

[mobile_ad]

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

182 Comments for Terry Wilson will Start as Gunnar Hoak Receives more Practice Reps

1. Cmart0907
    1:27 pm October 22, 2018 Permalink

Uh oh. This comment section will be good ?

• michaelb
      4:12 pm October 22, 2018 Permalink

Lol yep

5:33 pm October 22, 2018 Permalink

Hoak will start at Georgia after his performance against Missouri

• mashburnfan1
      6:20 pm October 22, 2018 Permalink

Love how all the know it all people want Hoak, based on what? He has done nothing, oh yea he scored at the end of a half when a 1-6 team was playing prevent. When that 1-6 team went to a regular D he was terrible. In High School vs every good team he played, he was TERRIBLE. His only offers besides UK were Bowling Green, Toledo, Kent St, Buffalo, Cuse, Cincy {sure Gran was part of it}. Bad teams like Pitt, Illinoise showed interest but no offer. Even Ohio University did not offer. Our best 2 QB’s are Wilson and Clark, Gran is a major part of the problem. A&M game we come out, 2 DOWNFIELD passes to CJ for about 35 yards total. Then nothing, I will bet you we lead the Country in pass attempts for 2 yards or less {including behind scrimmage throws that are not pitch back but actual throws}. Before A&M gme CJ probably averaged 2 yeard per catch. The biggest problem I see is the Defense knows we don’t throw deep. You can have all 11 guys within 20 yards from scrimmage and attacking the WR or RB. That makes it harder to get open in that confined space. Got to make teams respect the deep pass, not saying you have to throw it deep 20 times a game but it must be thrown several times a game and on different downs. Grans playbook seems to only have 2 yard routes or behind scrimmage line passes. Hard for Wilson to find a rythm throwing deep or long mid range when you hardly ever do it. He can make solid throws but gets little chances per game to do so. Rondale Moore at Purdue would be a total unknown here, probably have 3 catches for 9 yards for the season with Gran calling plays. Dude had 170 on 2 catches in one game, we have many wr’s that may not get 170 yards all season.

12:08 am October 23, 2018 Permalink

They only throw the plays Wilson CAN throw…

• JASUN74
      9:48 pm October 22, 2018 Permalink

Mashbum, that the 100th time you’ve talked about Hoaks high school games. Do you think he hasn’t improved from then? Did he steal you girlfriend in high school? Does he owe you money ? Dude I’m not here to say play him over Wilson, although I wouldn’t mind to see him either, but you don’t need to say the same things every post !!! We got it,,!!!! You don’t want Hoak to play. Ok thanks. Actually I agree with a lot of you options and think you know the game pretty well but you have no idea how Gunner will play or how he would have played these past few games. I’ve heard time and time again that he will get sacked every time he gets the ball. . We don’t know that and no one knows. He may do better or he may not but we’ll never know until he plays. I just want to win. Whoever’s our quarterback, I’m going to support them and not talk about how bad they were at 15 and 16 years old.

12:05 am October 23, 2018 Permalink

I’m so happy I can’t stop crying…I’m so happy, I’m laughing through my tears…!

1:09 am October 23, 2018 Permalink

I’m so happy I can’t stop crying, so happy I’m laughing through my tears!!!

2. UKfanman01
    1:27 pm October 22, 2018 Permalink

The wind made him fumble too

3. Catsby80
    1:32 pm October 22, 2018 Permalink

I’m not a football coach, and I don’t pretend to be one… But I don’t understand why we’re not utilizing the tight end more and screen passes. Short passes are the easiest way to build confidence, plus they also help keep the defense honest. Our playcalling and offense as a whole is so vanilla and that falls on the shoulders of the coaches. But when Terry only goes through one progression on the passing plays and then decides to tuck the ball and run, that is on him… 9 passing attempts is not going to beat many teams, though.

• Wade
      1:51 pm October 22, 2018 Permalink

• Alex90
      2:32 pm October 22, 2018 Permalink

Completely agree. The play calling has not helped him one bit. Terry should have 10 easy completions per game to Bowden/Conrad and what happened to Bouvier?

• Miller45
      2:57 pm October 22, 2018 Permalink

CJ Conrad’s has been disgraced by how little he is utilized

5:12 pm October 22, 2018 Permalink

They are setting up wins for The rest of the season by pretending the QB can’t throw…LOL

5:13 pm October 22, 2018 Permalink

Well it’s very obvious that he can’t throw is why

4. UKLugo
    1:33 pm October 22, 2018 Permalink

He was exposed at A&M.

10:03 pm October 22, 2018 Permalink

Oh but these folks that post comments on here missed what you mean…they kinda think “well he still really fast” keep him at QB

5. RackEmWillie
    1:36 pm October 22, 2018 Permalink

The passing offense hasn’t been good since the Florida game. Not just 10 quarters.

Wilson’s decision making has me confused, both in throwing and running. He seems hesitant to throw in windows that close quickly, and he waits too long to run and the lane is gone.

His decision making on the base option plays also baffles me. There have been plenty of times where he could have gained more yards than Benny got, by simply making the correct read. That last drive against Vandy, he should have pulled it and scored.

I’m not going to fault him for the Vandy game through the air, because that wind was rough. And if gusts at the wrong time, a good pass is incomplete or intercepted.

• Nick
      1:52 pm October 22, 2018 Permalink

Vandy figured out how to complete 65% of their passes for 216 yards and a TD. It was windy for both teams.

• CoachCat
      6:55 pm October 22, 2018 Permalink

Exactly Nick

• CATandMONKEY
      2:27 pm October 22, 2018 Permalink

…and threw interceptions AND lost.

• Le Docteur
      2:48 pm October 22, 2018 Permalink

…because they don’t have our defense and we got to play against THEIRS

• Booby Petrino
      3:54 pm October 22, 2018 Permalink

Wow they figured out how to throw one touchdown? So did we!

10:04 pm October 22, 2018 Permalink

12:09 am October 23, 2018 Permalink

ThanknYOU

6. Nick
    1:42 pm October 22, 2018 Permalink

I like that he addressed the issue. Sounds like one of two things may happen Saturday, either KY will have better QB play from Terry (which should make everyone more happy) or we could see Gunnar taking meaningful snaps (which will make a certain percentage of the fan base happy) I have a guy that I’d prefer to see, but honestly just want whoever is best for the entire team.

• BigBlue4Three
      1:52 pm October 22, 2018 Permalink

Only one thing will happen on Saturday, Turnover Terry will start and play the whole game. Anything Stoops said to the contrary is coach speak to try to appease the fanbase. I find humor in his quote that “Terry is playing winning football”. To the contrary, the team is playing winning football in spite of having zero production from the QB position. Anybody that says Terry is playing winning football is obviously blind or jaded.

Not sure what you have to lose by playing Hoak or Clark for a possession or two. I feel fairly certain they could hand the ball off as effectively as the next guy and they surely couldn’t throw the ball any worse (and maybe they would actually release the ball). Bottom line is Terry has confidence issues – afraid to throw the ball and trust his receiver and looks like he is scared to death to take a hit wen he does run it.

• bigblue98
      2:24 pm October 22, 2018 Permalink

Agree with everything you said!!!!!

• Alex90
      2:49 pm October 22, 2018 Permalink

Well take the Vandy game, you bring in another QB in the 2nd half and give him a shot but he plays terrible and we lose. Then you have made a mess of the season. Fact is our starting QB has led us to a 6-1 start and still has 2 years left of eligibility so I think he will only improve with time and better play calling

• michaelb
      4:18 pm October 22, 2018 Permalink

Yep he’s got two more years to play for us , we’re hoping he tightens his play up quickly because we all
      See the urgency of it because we see the season as a special opportunity that we’re not use to having

12:10 am October 23, 2018 Permalink

Should have been redshirted this year…

• UKWildcatNation
      3:25 am October 23, 2018 Permalink

Thank you!!! Terry can play, as we’ve seen from the Florida and Mississippi State games! Then they started harping on Terry going through his progressions, his led to him being indecisive and taking sacks, or waiting to long to take off and run. Gran should adjust the play calling around Terry’s game, not make Terry adjust to Gran’s game plan. Yes our passing game has been HORRIFIC the past 10 quarters, but it is hard to play when you are not playing relaxed and free…just let him play his game! The kid can throw, but they have ruined him trying to make him something and someone that he just isn’t! He’s 6-1, he’s my guy.

5:15 pm October 22, 2018 Permalink

100% accurate

• BigolBlue
      5:38 pm October 22, 2018 Permalink

Good points big blue 4three

10:04 pm October 22, 2018 Permalink

Now that’s a good post

• ScoggDog
      2:34 pm October 22, 2018 Permalink

Man …. leave it to Kentucky Football to figure out something that casts a cloud over a 6-1 start.

Honestly – I don’t see what the problem is with playing both of them according to situation. Wilson is delusional if he thinks he’s played well enough to lock down the starting job – and Hoak is equally misled if he thinks he’s earned the starting job. Honestly – in my Never Coached a Down of College Football Eyes … Danny Clark ought to be the angriest of the bunch.

I can say this … after mulling it over again and again – QB is only part of the problem with this offense – and maybe not the biggest problem. The O-Line does not pass block nearly as well as they run block. The receivers mostly have not helped. And Eddie Gran flat out doesn’t call a game like a guy that’s confident in the tools at his disposal.

And frankly – Wilson got worse when we started hearing that “He Needs to Give the Play Time to Develop”. I just don’t think that’s his game – and that’s OK. He’s pretty good at what he knows how to do.

If what he does well isn’t what the Coaching Staff is comfortable with … that’s not on Wilson. One way or another – they need to figure it out by Saturday. I got a hunch this game will determine their season … and a win there could lead to some really crazy positive outcomes for this program for years to come.

• Blue Bill
      4:47 pm October 22, 2018 Permalink

Maybe the sanest comment on here. Well put.

5:16 pm October 22, 2018 Permalink

He hands the ball off well

• Blue Bill
      6:24 pm October 22, 2018 Permalink

And you give oral to Gunnar well.

6:38 pm October 22, 2018 Permalink

Yes I orally speak for Hoak

7. UKInsider
    1:57 pm October 22, 2018 Permalink

Max Smith and Jalen Whitlow are warming up.

• JohnnyCheeseSticks
      4:20 pm October 22, 2018 Permalink

Sweet Jesus. This is the best comment here. I died. lol. Morgan Newton is too.

5:18 pm October 22, 2018 Permalink

Jared Lorenzen is pissed off and we are trying to get him back into his uniform at the moment in case they need a throwing QB but, we may have to wait until next season this thing is TIGHT

• UKWildcatNation
      3:32 am October 23, 2018 Permalink

Combat, I have come to terms with you thinking you know everything even though you probably have never played AND coached at the Division I level, and we all know how funny you THINK you are, but STFU about Lefty. You. Are. Trash! And you do not know anything other to argue with others with no valid reasoning, just your opinions.

• cats646
      5:52 pm October 22, 2018 Permalink

Medic, stfu.

8. BigBlue4Three
    1:58 pm October 22, 2018 Permalink

“I owe an obligation to the rest of our team to put us in a position to win games so you have to have other guys ready to go.”

Thank you Mr. Obvious.

• Nick
      2:07 pm October 22, 2018 Permalink

I was kind of curious if this was reference to the WR’s and Tight end that are not being used.

9. az1006
    2:01 pm October 22, 2018 Permalink

I don’t know what the coaching staff is saying or doing, so it’s very likely this has already been addressed. But I wish they’d put him in a position where he goes through two reads, then runs. One..Two…Go. It’s possible that’s been the game plan, and he’s just being indecisive. And that’s really the biggest problem…He’s not making decisions quickly enough. Some of that could be attributable to making the jump from JUCO to the SEC, and some of that could be his own self-doubt. Only he knows the answer to that.

I don’t think he’s too far off, and his legs provide a dynamic that Hoak doesn’t. Unless Hoak is exponentially better at throwing the ball, you don’t need to make the change. If he is…Then you have to weigh the pros and cons and make a decision.

5:20 pm October 22, 2018 Permalink

We don’t know who can throw better…Hoak was in three series and scored in 55 seconds so we may need to see WIlson throw more than 20 yards to get a fair comparison

• cats646
      5:53 pm October 22, 2018 Permalink

What about Wilton’s two dime balls for TD’s at Florida?? How about his TD pass last night? You are such a moron.

6:06 pm October 22, 2018 Permalink

LOL. After 6 games you have that to say he is legit!!! That’s MORONIC dude. U have no clue!!!! He has the LOWEST QB stats in the SEC…are u even serious?!

• cats646
      5:54 pm October 22, 2018 Permalink

*saturday night. Ha now I’m the moron

6:40 pm October 22, 2018 Permalink

Plus 2 fumbles

• cats646
      6:42 pm October 22, 2018 Permalink

Imagine how much lower Gunnar’s would be. Terry is in every aspect of the game better than Gunnar. It’s not close.

• UoKFB PHAN
      7:31 pm October 22, 2018 Permalink

@Casts646… your first word makes your arguments against Hoak ineffective. You started with the word ‘imagine’. At this point no one, including the coach staff, really knows how Hoak will do in a live SEC game. I am not saying Hoak is the solution to UK’s offensive issues nor am I saying they should completely bench Wilson. I’m just saying it it past time to give Hoak a shot.

This is just my take; if the offense has stalled after Wilson’s first three drives then put Hoak in and give him a fair shot, i.e. let him have three drives. If neither of the two can move the ball in the passing game then maybe it is time to look at Clark and give him a series. If three series is too much then give each QB two series. The one than can keep the drives going by successfully passing enough – not a lot – but just enough to keep the defense honest then go with that guy. Whoever can effectively and consistently keep the defense honest will help open up the running game for Snell and yes, Rose.

10:08 pm October 22, 2018 Permalink

We just need someone that can stay calm cool and collected and THROW the football accurately & Consistently

• BLUEsky
      8:21 pm October 22, 2018 Permalink

UoKFB PHAN I’ll even go farther than that. I think that should have been the plan for the QBs since game one. I said that before the season, and still believe it. Would we be 6-1? Who knows. But one thing is almost for certain: The QB battle would be over by now and everyone would know who won the battle. Hindsight is always easy, but even Stoops said before the season that you never know how a QB is going to perform until the lights are on. Our other two guys haven’t had the opportunity yet to show what they can do with extended reps in a real game situation.

12:15 am October 23, 2018 Permalink

True

• cats646
      8:31 pm October 22, 2018 Permalink

I actually do agree with you PHAN. I’m just getting a rise out of Medic because he’s a dumba$$. I hope whatever QB we put in plays lights out. Whatever is best for the team. I would love for it to be Wilson because I love his speed, but whichever one plays the best should play.

10:09 pm October 22, 2018 Permalink

Brother you ‘ain’t gettin nothing from me…your comments are wasteful

10:10 pm October 22, 2018 Permalink

Oh his speed (4.5 40 is slow in the SEC) has earned him how many rushing TD’s…?

12:14 am October 23, 2018 Permalink

Have you watched Gunner Hoak at all…? Go back and watch the last 2 Spring games. He outperformed all QB’s

• cats646
      9:30 am October 23, 2018 Permalink

Medic, first off, I’ve literally got hundreds of stupid a$$ comments out of you. Which I grant you, you need no help with that. Second, quit referring to spring games. No one tries in those at all. AJ Rose out played Benny in this last spring game. I’m guessing you want to start him?

• UoKFB PHAN
      1:58 am October 24, 2018 Permalink

@ cats646 – I agree with you on his speed. When I see him turn the corner with some room, I’m like ‘look out!”. Did you see the video posted of him sprinting in the Nutter Center? It would really be interesting to know exactly how fast he is.

@ medic – I can’t prove it but I think your numbers on Wilson are a little too high. After watching the video of Wilson at the Nutter Center, I think he is faster than what you put out there. Granted, he might be one of those people who is extremely fast in a straight line sprint and just average when you have to start make cuts to avoid tacklers.

10. Based God
    2:05 pm October 22, 2018 Permalink

It’s not hard to see. Terry can’t throw a pass for less than 10 yards and he doesn’t have the vision or the patience to let plays for longer than that develop. The coaches know this. Go back and look at the A&M game. 90% of the routes our WRs were running were 15 yards down field, and when he did check down to Benny for the dump off, he got him destroyed on short passes because he can’t throw them. Opposing coaches can see it too. That’s why we’ve been exposed offensively the past couple games.

11. Dee
    2:10 pm October 22, 2018 Permalink

If Gunnar doesn’t play atleast a full quarter…. we will lose this game. (and Gunnar will be starting against Georgia)

• MrPioneer
      2:56 pm October 22, 2018 Permalink

Thanks for your input, coach. Just curious – what evidence do you have that Hoak could start and win an SEC road game?

6:06 pm October 22, 2018 Permalink

His stats versus Gunners….

6:07 pm October 22, 2018 Permalink

Versus the rest of the SEC…NCAA…and local Highschool QBs have better stats than this turd we have under center

12:17 am October 23, 2018 Permalink

Our evidence is that TW has the worst stats in the SEC and we’ve lost one game because of his sorry play and almost lost to VANDY because of his indecisiveness…

• 4everUKblue
      3:22 pm October 22, 2018 Permalink

Excellent question, we’ll wait for your answer.

• east-ky-boy
      4:50 pm October 22, 2018 Permalink

The wind makes him consistently turn the ball over lol

10:10 pm October 22, 2018 Permalink

LOL Now that’s funny

• JohnnyCheeseSticks
      4:30 pm October 22, 2018 Permalink

Ummmm did you watch the Tx AM and Vandy games???? We want Hoak…

• Dee
      4:52 pm October 22, 2018 Permalink

I have eyes. 20/10 vision to be exact….

Gunnar deserves the chance to play… unless he curls up into a ball, crying and sucking his thumb the first time he gets pressure… he would do better that Turnover Terry. Terry has played one decent game (Florida). UK has won IN-SPITE of their QB…not because of. I could throw for 20 yards in an SEC game…. I would break every bone in my body, but I’d be a bigger passing threat than Terry. He is in over his head…it is obvious to everyone….(except the coaching staff). Perhaps next year he will adjust to SEC play…. all this year is doing is destroying his confidence as a player. The coaching staff has not given this kid a chance to succeed…. from play-calling, getting in his head, etc…. And I don’t get a million dollars to coach… my advice is free.

12:18 am October 23, 2018 Permalink

Amen

• Blue Bill
      4:54 pm October 22, 2018 Permalink

All I know, which is very little, is I would have to believe that any boss (or coach) that has a multi million dollar salary dependent on ONE thing (WINNING GAMES) is going to do whatever it takes to give them the absolute best chance to to do that. As much as I question play calling, what players are playing etc…. I also trust that those coaches know just a tad bit more than I do about who and what plays are going to give them that best chance to win. Just a thought. Unless you’re Combat Medic, he knows everything.

12:19 am October 23, 2018 Permalink

Just quoting the obvious Billy

6:06 pm October 22, 2018 Permalink

Ageeeeeeee

1:11 am October 23, 2018 Permalink

Facts

12. bigblue98
    2:27 pm October 22, 2018 Permalink

If Wilson doesn’t improve and this is coach speak recruiting will suffer. No receiver or tight end wants to play when they get no opportunities. Understand that we should run more than pass, but nine attempted passes won’t win most games and will kill recruiting.

13. Le Docteur
    2:30 pm October 22, 2018 Permalink

The gusts didn’t seem to stop Vandy from throwing the ball well, including deep. Good effing God. I thought Wilson had a cannon for an arm? And somehow Shurmur can throw against the wind but our delicate snowflake can’t? WTF.

• Alex90
      2:51 pm October 22, 2018 Permalink

They hit 1 deep throw when the defender fell….

• Le Docteur
      3:32 pm October 22, 2018 Permalink

Wasn’t that TD pass a 30 yarder there, chief?

• 4everUKblue
      3:18 pm October 22, 2018 Permalink

And yet they lost…..he had 2 interceptions counting the one that was called back on a phantom call.

• CoachCat
      6:57 pm October 22, 2018 Permalink

Lol. Counting one that didn’t count. Makes total sense

• Booby Petrino
      3:59 pm October 22, 2018 Permalink

Shurmur is also a senior with a lot more game experience than Wilson. And he still only threw for one td, which Terry did as well.

• Alex90
      4:10 pm October 22, 2018 Permalink

And Terry’s throw was much more difficult

12:20 am October 23, 2018 Permalink

But he rushed 100 yards…and no score!

14. Papaw
    2:38 pm October 22, 2018 Permalink

Same old Stoops garbage. Coaching is a problem I agree. Gran doesn’t trust Wilson to throw and with good reason. But have the nerve to pull him. Expect attendance to drop again if this no offense continues

• az1006
      3:13 pm October 22, 2018 Permalink

I bet you’re a blast at parties. Best start in 40 years, and still this nonsense. GTF outta here.

1:13 am October 23, 2018 Permalink

We should be 7-0 right now…

• 4everUKblue
      3:19 pm October 22, 2018 Permalink

The kind of people who were losers all their lives and are taking it out on these fine young men. It’s okay if you hate life but keep it to yourself.

• bigbluebanana
      4:40 pm October 22, 2018 Permalink

Shut…up…dude. Jesus, this is the best team that UK has had that I can remember, yet, you and so many others find a way to combatmedic98 on our players and coaches. Go somewhere else with your negativity man, we don’t want it here. Y’all go start your own blog site where you can just sit around in your miserable life circle jerk.

• Blue Bill
      4:55 pm October 22, 2018 Permalink

God, thank you BBB!!! I’m not alone after all!!!

6:10 pm October 22, 2018 Permalink

Calm down Banana Rama…we are discussing identified weaknesses & constraints that need addressed immediately.

• Blue Bill
      6:30 pm October 22, 2018 Permalink

Oh. Did you finally take a break from holding Gunnar’s jock strap long enough to throw your worthless negative comments in? You better go, I hear Gunnar crying in the background from separation anxiety.

10:14 pm October 22, 2018 Permalink

Blue Balls. If you think my comments are “negative” they are not negative they are factual statements based upon performance of the most important leader on a football team that has the greatest impact on the 11 men on the field…of the QB doesn’t perform, fire him and move on to the next candidate

1:14 am October 23, 2018 Permalink

Childish

10:11 pm October 22, 2018 Permalink

Calm down BANANA RAMA…Hoak will pull us through Saturday

12:20 am October 23, 2018 Permalink

And Venus was his name….

• cats646
      5:57 pm October 22, 2018 Permalink

Stoops beat Florida and we are sitting at #1 in the east and ranked 12th in the nation dumba$$. I hope Combatmedic at least spits on it before he shoves it in your a$$

• mashburnfan1
      6:27 pm October 22, 2018 Permalink

PAPS,,,, attendance can’t drop much. UGA is sold out and last game of the year is always a dud since it is a bad team and blowout, especially if it kicks at noon or weather is terrible. There are many issues with the passing game, not just TW. Yes he needs to play better but we also don’t pass block well. Gran calls terrible pass plays and defenses can play within 20 yards from scrimmage and attack, no need to back up as Gran does not think a deep pass is legal I guess. The rules today are made for the offense yet we don’t take advantage of it. Why are we so bad at 3rd and 6 or more, our routes are 2 yards or less or we run or QB draw. Even gran’s BS screens and stuff would work better if he kept the D honest by throwing deep several times a game. Even on 3rd and 20 we won’t throw deep….may get a PI, or a hold {both auto first downs} or our guy may even catch the damn ball.

15. clarks
    2:45 pm October 22, 2018 Permalink

clearly define their roles play em both and that takes some of the load off of both. one has the hot hand he stays in seems fair to me.wilson sure doesnt have it locked down and may be what he needs to bring some of that pressure off of him to let him relax.he just looks tight and hesitant.

16. clarks
    2:46 pm October 22, 2018 Permalink

if the recievers beli

17. clarks
    2:47 pm October 22, 2018 Permalink

if the recievers believe in hoak u can bet if he does get in they will try their best to keep him in too

• WildcatCam
      3:44 pm October 22, 2018 Permalink

Spark the whole team?!? What spark does the team need?! These comments are crazy lol

18. clarks
    2:48 pm October 22, 2018 Permalink

could spark whole team

• WildcatCam
      5:40 pm October 22, 2018 Permalink

19. davis2319
    2:53 pm October 22, 2018 Permalink

Yeah Terry Wilson is showing what it looks to have so much talent (arm strength, speed, etc…) just to let what goes on in his head get in the way of his success. He is clearly more gifted athletically than Hoak. However, it might be time to get somebody back there who is mentally tougher. Is that Hoak? Who knows it might be or it might be Clark. Wilson took a hit early in the A&M game and he was rattled the rest of the night. We do not need a world beater at quarterback, because we already have that at running back. We need someone to make timely throws when called upon and most importantly TAKE CARE OF THE FOOTBALL. We need a strong, confident voice in the huddle and I don’t think Terry gives us that yet. He could eventually but not yet.

• Miller45
      3:11 pm October 22, 2018 Permalink

Not that its worth much, but IMO terry is going to be the guy, so he needs to be the guy. Ball security is paramount and something he individually needs to, and can fix.

• davis2319
      3:23 pm October 22, 2018 Permalink

I agree with you. I think Wilson will eventually get it together and play to his potential. Just might need something to light that fire in him. That moment where he has to decide do I run and hide or do I fight? There is a reason they are so hesitant to put Hoak on the field. I think it has somewhat to do with Wilson’s upside but more to do with Hoak’s limited athleticism. Just doesn’t fit our offense.

6:12 pm October 22, 2018 Permalink

Hoak will close out Missouri and start at Georgia

6:11 pm October 22, 2018 Permalink

Put Trump under center…LOL

• cats646
      6:46 pm October 22, 2018 Permalink

Hey, medic. Pssst, yea you, STFU

10:16 pm October 22, 2018 Permalink

You’re funny dude…Trolling me like you wanna be a part of my conversations…but I ‘ain’t got time for ya’ kid…so, beat it kid yur’ Botha’rin’ me…!

• cats646
      9:33 am October 23, 2018 Permalink

You’ve replied to everything I’ve said? You have time

20. Alex90
    2:53 pm October 22, 2018 Permalink

Here come the awful UK football fans. Your team is 6-1 and ranked #12 but you guys know more than the coaches. UK football fans are the dumbest fan base in the country.

• davis2319
      3:09 pm October 22, 2018 Permalink

Alex90, We are being cautiously optimistic. We have started three seasons with a 5-1 record under Stoops and each season we have either,

A. Not won another game
      B. Won just 2 more games out of 6 remaining

Before you talk s*** do some research and try to see our point of view. We have went through so much heartbreak in the past. It is hard to trust something that has let you down so many times. Yes this team is different, but people just have bad memories of similar starts just to come crashing down the last half of the season. We have not finished better than .500 in the SEC since who knows when. I would be interested to hear who you cheer for. You are probably a “I really don’t have a favorite team guy” but when a teams wins the national championship you are suddenly a Bama fan, or Clemson fan! Who knows maybe you are a disgruntled UCF closet fan.

• Alex90
      4:14 pm October 22, 2018 Permalink

Do your research and look at the schedule those seasons and you’ll see we played all the easy games first. Just quit your crying and watch the games

• Shidler8684
      3:12 pm October 22, 2018 Permalink

Winner winner. Premature whining.

• ScoggDog
      3:15 pm October 22, 2018 Permalink

Then Alex … wouldn’t it be more efficient for you to just say “No Matter What – Go Team !!!” and be done with it ?

Yet – for as stupid as you – and those like you – view any criticism, you still feel the need to come on here and shout that criticism down.

Maybe a better use of your time would be to simply ignore us fools that dwell on such shortcomings.

• Alex90
      4:16 pm October 22, 2018 Permalink

No because you same people were calling for Stoops to be fired before the season and now you have moved on to something else to cry about. Just maybe I can convince idiots like you to just enjoy watching the games and stop being negative about every little thing

• davis2319
      5:13 pm October 22, 2018 Permalink

Lol Alex90. You are a clown ass. I have never called for stoops’ job. I was not being negative in anything I have posted in this discussion. He is obviously one of the best coaches in school history (stats prove it already) and I love that we’re 6-1. I don’t wanna settle like you obviously do because I know this team is special. So shut up, and delete this app or stop going to it on the internet. You are the one being negative.

• Nick
      3:26 pm October 22, 2018 Permalink

6-1 with 5 games left on the schedule and the passing game is almost nonexistent at this point. If fans/coaches are not interested in what can be done to improve the QB situation they must be OK with just 6 wins. Not saying that’s all we will win if something doesn’t change, just that we should always be looking to improve and the QB position has lots of room for improvement.

• Soylentbeans
      5:43 pm October 22, 2018 Permalink

Nick you dont get improvement from not playing.

• ScoggDog
      5:10 pm October 22, 2018 Permalink

No Alex … you’ve only convinced this “idiot” of one thing – there’s really no difference between those that drink the Blue Kool-Aid and those that drink the Red.

This team is program-changing in most phases – but QB is a problem. Anyone watching can see it’s a problem.

And maybe Wilson is the best they’ve got – but if so, that’s a problem as well. And that fault isn’t all on Wilson either.

But this notion that any criticism, or any complaint, is simply uncalled for because they’re 6-1 ? Makes no sense. It’s over-simplified. It’s the kind of crap that I heard every day when some folks questioned why Petrino wasn’t getting any more than he got out of Jackson. Those “Boo-Birds” got told to shut up a lot.

Turns out – those people that were asking questions ? They were right.

• Le Docteur
      7:18 pm October 22, 2018 Permalink

Hey Alex IQ90: Stoops said Hoak’s gonna play vs. Misso. So maybe UK football fans are “the dumbest in the country,” but it looks like they’re smarter than you.

12:23 am October 23, 2018 Permalink

Ohhh burn

• Alex90
      8:28 am October 23, 2018 Permalink

I never said they shouldn’t look at trying another QB vut that’s for the coaches to decide not idiots like you that have no clue what goes on in practice daily. I’m sure most you guys were football legends back in pee wee but you are not smarter than the coaches.

21. Miller45
    3:07 pm October 22, 2018 Permalink

Gunner has been here for 2 whole years. There is a definitive reason why he has not been put in, given the offensive production. whatever that may be.

• 4everUKblue
      3:21 pm October 22, 2018 Permalink

Miller is right, apparently he did not impress the coaches in practices, that and he can’t run….AT ALL. He’s sack waiting to happen.

6:13 pm October 22, 2018 Permalink

He can run but running hasn’t won us one game this year by TW…

• Nick
      3:53 pm October 22, 2018 Permalink

4everUKblue, I don’t know how you state that he doesn’t impress the coaches in practice but ignore Stoops admitting they almost made a QB change against A&M and stated today Hoak was going to get more reps at practice. Obviously they like the idea of having a mobile QB and thought that would bring something extra to the field but I don’t think Terry has been what they thought he was going to be.

• Booby Petrino
      4:03 pm October 22, 2018 Permalink

He doesn’t impress the coaches as much as Terry does, clearly, or he’d be starting. Stoops only considers putting him in in desperate situations, that should tell you something. If he were truly better, he would be playing before we got to desperation time.

• Nick
      4:35 pm October 22, 2018 Permalink

They are two different style QB’s. There is no doubt that Terry’s ability to run the ball did win him the job. Him not being an effective passer may lose him the job or has at least put it into question. The same staff that named him QB1 has acknowledged KY needs more from the quarterback position than what they have gotten the last couple of games.

5:25 pm October 22, 2018 Permalink

Word

5:27 pm October 22, 2018 Permalink

Right because he is slower than TW and can’t hand the ball off as good as TW…LOL…so they will never put in Hoak beacause he can only throw very good

• ScoggDog
      5:27 pm October 22, 2018 Permalink

And that’s the thing Nick … I’m not positive that Hoak should start over Wilson either. I’m really starting to think they should play both.

If Wilson just puts the ball away – Vandy doesn’t score – and that entire game looks different. Maybe 21-0 depending on momentum. And then everyone is happy.

Gran might just be asking too much from Wilson. If Wilson is the guy – let him be the guy. He’s not a straight drop guy. I do think he’s a Play-Action guy … but he’s gotta’ run first.

And to do that – he’s gotta’ hold on to the ball.

6:16 pm October 22, 2018 Permalink

That’s a great idea…put in Wilson for run plays and Hoak for pass plays!!! That wins Championships…!

• cats646
      6:47 pm October 22, 2018 Permalink

Running has one us every game we’ve won so far medic. Sooo stfu

10:17 pm October 22, 2018 Permalink

Rrrright because of Benny Snell you goofball

12:24 am October 23, 2018 Permalink

Because TW is faster that’s it…cant throw though

22. cats fan 858
    3:27 pm October 22, 2018 Permalink

There’s a reason turnover terry had to transfer from Oregon he’s not a division 1 quarterback but stoops is just using coach speak hoak or Clark will not play they already lost one game because of turnover terry it’s time for terry to get a haircut an be benched

• CATandMONKEY
      4:01 pm October 22, 2018 Permalink

There is a reason Stoops had to go recruit a juco QB with Hoak and Clark already on the team, having been exposed to the system for at least a full season.

The idea that Stoops is stubbornly playing Wilson at the expense of losing is Ludacris.

10:18 pm October 22, 2018 Permalink

Cause he SUCKED at QB and someone forgot to tell him QB’s need to throw the ball not just run the ball…

• Booby Petrino
      4:04 pm October 22, 2018 Permalink

Is this some sort of contest to see how many sentences you can combine without ever using a period or are all just that lazy I mean it’s really not that difficult to use a period

12:28 am October 23, 2018 Permalink

You just typed a run on sentence, forgot a period or question mark after lazy and forgot to put a period after period! Other than that I have been talking Phonetically for 20 years and short, concise sentences are necessary

12:29 am October 23, 2018 Permalink

Grammar is not a concern of mine…like your statements on here

• JohnnyCheeseSticks
      4:24 pm October 22, 2018 Permalink

Um. No. Stoops and Gran are stubborn. Terry had never started or played a full D1 game before he came here. He can’t hold onto the friggin’ ball when he runs it, and he when he needs to pass, he holds it. He might be a great QB in another year or two, but 3/9 completions and 2 turnovers in 1 game is just too much.

5:25 pm October 22, 2018 Permalink

That’s a fact…and EG wants to run the same offense as last year except he is faster than SJ…analysts said TW can’t throw…hmmmmm

23. michaelb
    4:14 pm October 22, 2018 Permalink

This team reminds me of the 2010 dolphins. Dominating ground attack & 5-10 passes per game good for 1-2 turns also

24. Blue Bill
    4:41 pm October 22, 2018 Permalink

Damn. No schoolyard nurse comments yet? He must be working o.t. On Gunnar. Maybe we got lucky and he turned in his fan card as he’s threatened to do a dozen times so far if TT isn’t benched.

• CATandMONKEY
      5:02 pm October 22, 2018 Permalink

Guaranteed he is one of the asshats currently posting today under a different moniker.

5:22 pm October 22, 2018 Permalink

U 2 turds make me happy mentioning my handle on here how are you all doing…

• Blue Bill
      6:31 pm October 22, 2018 Permalink

At least you know your name Schoolyard.

10:19 pm October 22, 2018 Permalink

As do U Blue Balls

25. east-ky-boy
    4:59 pm October 22, 2018 Permalink

Ok let’s just all say this. I think this is what most of us feels. It comes down to STYLES. If you want a dual threat (though Wilson is a single threat so far…. running) then Wilson is that guy. He would be that person for a RPO type offense.

If you want a pro style offense and mix up the pass/ run, hoak is your guy. He’s a very accurate passer. We have heard since he’s been there that he’s the most accurate QB we have. May not have the cannon but he makes the good reads and is a good game manager.

We have the offensive line for both. The reason Wilson runs for life isn’t our line, it’s he holds the ball for to long and doesn’t make the good reads. You have to throw people open on this level. This isn’t JUCO.

In summary, I PERSONALLY like the pro style offense better. Am i glad we are winning YOU BET. I’m a diehard fan. I drive from Pikeville to every home game. Have for years. Even the joker days. So I’m not a bandwagon fan. Just my argument for a change Is that we have a NFL tight end and decent receivers and they are about as useless as a pocket on a shoe. Why not mix it up? The defense would have to back off, which would cUse Benny to make them pay even more.

• east-ky-boy
      5:09 pm October 22, 2018 Permalink

Cause ***

• ScoggDog
      5:16 pm October 22, 2018 Permalink

Hell of a comment – I’ve thought the same.

Hoak and Wilson just don’t match. And a lot of the other parts on this offense don’t match either.

Every coach has a style. If Gran wants drop back pass, ball control, and more run than pass – go recruit that.

But Terry Wilson doesn’t match that.

And if Gran wants Running QB – Hoak doesn’t match that. Neither does Conrad. Or these receivers. Or – honestly – this line. They’re run blockers.

They gotta’ pick something and commit. I don’t know what that should be – but I know they need to decide on something before Saturday.

• Collie
      5:58 pm October 22, 2018 Permalink

Lynn Bowden? The only dual treat on the team.

26. CombatMedic_98
    5:11 pm October 22, 2018 Permalink

BOUT TIME!!!

27. CombatMedic_98
    5:31 pm October 22, 2018 Permalink

All you Terry Wilson, No throwing fans wilI got to see a real quarterback play this weekend Against Missouri… Hoak will absolutely blow the doors open…

28. Collie
    5:56 pm October 22, 2018 Permalink

The best dual threat QB on the team is Lynn Bowden. If this is how we’re gonna play, i would just assume to swap him and Terry positions.

29. CombatMedic_98
    6:19 pm October 22, 2018 Permalink

Once again

30. CombatMedic_98
    6:23 pm October 22, 2018 Permalink

“W”

31. CoachCat
    7:04 pm October 22, 2018 Permalink

Lol. Just deal with the facts. My goodness. Fact. 18 passing yards. Two Turnovers. Inaccurate. Indecisive. No confidence. These are all facts from the last game. Most are facts from the previous two games. Say what you wants but look at his stats. Look at the facts. Missouri has the worst pass defense in the SEC. If Wilson will ever shine it will be Saturday.

32. notFromhere
    7:13 pm October 22, 2018 Permalink

As it should be. That is great to hear from the coach on this. Lets see if he follows through and hope that it pays off in better play and improvement for all 3 QBs. It’s a long season and we may need another QB to be ready

• notFromhere
      7:13 pm October 22, 2018 Permalink

This is not a reply to any ksr comments. Its a reply to the article. Jfyi

• Glenn Fohr
      1:32 pm October 23, 2018 Permalink

Heard today that the chatter isn’t about Hoak, its about Danny Clark. Any truth to this?