Terry Wilson returned to form vs. Vanderbilt

Photo by Mark Cornelison

Photo by Mark Cornelison

Kentucky came into this game with plenty of uncertainty at the quarterback position, but Terry Wilson proved that for now, this is his team.

Wilson was 13-15 for 110 yards and two touchdowns, along with seven rushes for 83 yards on the ground, including a 32-yard touchdown run and a 27-yard scramble on 3rd-and-26 late in the first half that set up a field goal. Wilson missed the Georgia game with an injured wrist, but looked much more comfortable this afternoon. There were still mistakes — a few bad throws and a fumble that, thankfully, Kentucky recovered — but for the most part, Terry looked like the Terry of old, which is a good sign for the rest of Kentucky’s season.

“I felt like this was the Terry that I expect him to play each and every week,” Mark Stoops said afterwards. “Again, I think that has a lot to do with the people around him and the coaching and putting him in a position to be successful.

“I thought he played very well and he was very efficient. And let me say I’m proud of him and the way he responded, because that position is different. Let’s just be honest, it is. There is so much scrutiny, pressure on that position, and you have to play well at that position to be successful. And there is times when it all comes down on him and there is times it’s deserving and there are times that it’s not. But he didn’t look for an opportunity to run and hide. He took that criticism, took the coaching, and he got better. I really respect the way he responded and the way he came back and play.”

As Stoops alluded to, during the bye week, rumors spread that Wilson was unhappy and even considered opting out of the season. When asked about that today, Wilson artfully dodged the issue, instead focusing on the frustration over his wrist injury.

“It’s really just been trying to get back healthy. Like I said with my wrist, it’s kind of limited me. I couldn’t throw so I had to sit out a couple practices. But once that started to get better and get back in the groove of things, just looking at things we can improve in and things I can do better to be able to go out and win a football game and continue to win football games. Locking down on what we have to do and what I have to do, to help the team.”

According to UK’s game notes, Wilson completed 86.7% of his passes, the second-best single game completion percentage in school history (min. 10 completions). With a healthy wrist and that performance in the books, there’s no letting up, Stoops said.

“Now, we expect him to do that every week. That’s the standard which we need him to play at and that is across the board.”

14 Comments for Terry Wilson returned to form vs. Vanderbilt

1. blueballs80
    7:00 pm November 14, 2020 Permalink

He was lucky that fumble went UK’s way. I still don’t think he has cemented himself yet as the starter because he has one good game against Vandy. The competition here only gets harder.

2. TBW3011
    7:35 pm November 14, 2020 Permalink

He was fine. Not a throw made anyone else can’t make in their sleep. The incompletion was yet another TD under thrown 10 yards, but that is what it is. Guys were wide open, but he did have a run or 2 where the others wouldn’t have gained as many yards.

3. channell
    7:46 pm November 14, 2020 Permalink

So UK squeaks by the worst team in the league and one of the worse in the nation. Our defense was asleep. We saw the future in the fourth quarter. The season is lost. Why not play Gatewood and preserve Beau’s egilibility for four years. Gatewood and Beau can fight it out next year and what i saw in that series is that Beau is the man. Nothing to brag about winning a blowout game by 3 at home.

• TBW3011
      8:51 pm November 14, 2020 Permalink

Nobody loses eligibility by playing this year.

• Miller45
      10:05 pm November 14, 2020 Permalink

I’m excited for the qb battle next year too bui c’mon. beau completed 3 passes against vanderbilt. A bleak outlook if that constitutes being the man”

• Corder
      10:36 pm November 14, 2020 Permalink

Terry could barely do it.

4. jukeydpt12
    7:49 pm November 14, 2020 Permalink

Terry played well today but with what this year is I say we move on to the future at QB.

• Corder
      10:37 pm November 14, 2020 Permalink

Thank you. Wasted year where we could have got the young guns more reps and prepare them for next year.

5. Stop Hammer Time
    7:52 pm November 14, 2020 Permalink

Sadly, probably the last win of the season. I guess 4 wins is still on the table, as USC is not very good either.

6. neat1ky
    8:03 pm November 14, 2020 Permalink

Beau’s eligibility is save because NCAA is allowing players to return another year and u can play so many games anyway without counting towards a lost red shirt

7. Southky
    9:45 am November 15, 2020 Permalink

I think Terry is a great guy but he ain’t a QB. I wish him well but I’ll be glad to move on next season. Hopefully Allen or Gatewood can be an SEC caliber QB.

8. Big Sexy
    12:46 pm November 17, 2020 Permalink

“Returned to form”? When the hell was this ever his “form”?

9. Big Sexy
    12:46 pm November 17, 2020 Permalink

“Returned to form”? When the hell was this ever his “form”?

10. Jayy
    4:15 pm November 17, 2020 Permalink

The celebration after the first down run instead of lining up to spike the ball with about 35 seconds at the end of the 1st half is inexcusable for a 5th yr QB. Had to burn a TO and didn’t get 1 shot at the end zone.