Terry Wilson is off and running in the first week of practice

Mark Stoops saw no hesitation from Terry Wilson in the quarterback’s first week of preseason practice since he missed the entire 2019 season with a knee injury. In fact, Stoops might have wished Wilson showed a little more hesitation at times.

“When he made the decision to pull it down and run — I am really trying to be quick on my whistle, believe me, I don’t want to see him stretch it out and run,” Stoops said, “but pulling it down, he’s like a bolt again, just like he used to be. When he pulls it down he can really run and hurt some people.”

While most may have been disappointed to see the start of the 2020 SEC football season delayed to the end of September, Kentucky’s head coach believes Wilson will benefit from the extra time to re-acclimate to the game, although as far as Stoops can tell, Terry didn’t necessarily need that extra time. Wilson was making elite throws on the first day of practice.

“I noticed it again today. He really has a good comfort level in the pocket and he stepped up in the pocket, delivered the football down the field and threw it really well,” Stoops said. “He looks really good early in camp and it’s only been three practices, but he looks really good.”

Drake Jackson already notices a difference in the huddle. With Wilson directing traffic, the offense moves faster.

“I love Terry. He’s a great dude and he’s always been professional about the way he handles everything. That’s why he’s 12-3 as a starter,” said the UK All-SEC center. “We’re excited to have him back just because of what he’s able to do.”

It’s not just what he’s able to do; it’s what Wilson can help others do that will make this offense special.

“It’s not just him,” said Jackson. “I think we have some guys out at the receiver position that are starting to make plays. We have a three-headed monster at running back — maybe more than three, I don’t know — so much experience. Yeah, we love having Terry back. It’s different. We’re running real offense, but I think he’s handled everything real well for himself. ”

The first time that real offense ran a real play in a real scrimmage against a live defense, A.J. Rose ran it between the tackles to the house. Not a bad way to start the 2020 season.

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

11 Comments for Terry Wilson is off and running in the first week of practice

1. Thetruthshallsetbennyfree
    2:39 pm August 22, 2020 Permalink

Hopefully this means Rose has gotten better and not that are D will struggle against the run.

2. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    4:14 pm August 22, 2020 Permalink

Any update on my man Smoke? For my money he was our best RB last year. It’s like someone else said: he looked like he was going to score almost every time he touched the ball.

• Thetruthshallsetbennyfree
      5:52 pm August 22, 2020 Permalink

Him and Rodriguez looked like men possessed in the Louisville game.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      5:55 pm August 22, 2020 Permalink

Yep. I like the depth with them and AJ!

• Miller45
      6:15 pm August 22, 2020 Permalink

He missed some time last year and didn’t even dress one game as a result of having chronic migraines. I’m with you though I’m really excited to see him hopefully get plugged into the rotation.

• Irish son
      10:07 pm August 22, 2020 Permalink

Rodriguez is our best back, and it isn’t even close. Speed and power. Like Benny Snell but faster

• Corder
      12:11 pm August 23, 2020 Permalink

I’m with you Irish. Rodriguez is a monster and seems to be in the mood of Benny. I think he is our best back all around but we will need everyone of our backs so we can switch up speed and power. This O line will give any of our backs plenty of time to get through that first hole and it’ll be up to them to do the rest.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      9:00 am August 23, 2020 Permalink

I can entertain your argument about who’s better, but to say it isn’t even close? Sorry, that’s a yuge stretch IMO. Regardless, I can’t wait to see them all play behind the BBWall!

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      9:01 am August 23, 2020 Permalink

And Terry too BTW.

3. Bluenblood
    6:44 pm August 22, 2020 Permalink

LOVE that kid. 12-3 against good competition not just MAC or OVC

4. kydrummer
    5:38 pm August 23, 2020 Permalink

I’d like to see them throw to AJ, he’s got good hands and speed. Our offense has the potential to be one of the best in the SEC!