Terry Wilson is More Comfortable Playing with Tempo

© Denny Medley | USATSI

© Denny Medley | USATSI

Terry Wilson prefers to play fast.

Kentucky’s quarterback was at his best in the final drive at Missouri.  With less than two minutes to play, he completed six straight passes for 87 yards on the way to the end zone.  After the walk-off touchdown, Wilson is looking to build off the success.

“I just needed to get some fire under me.  I just gotta keep that momentum going.  I can’t let up,” Wilson said. “I just gotta keep pushing because we’ve still got five, six more games left.  I just gotta keep that attitude, keep that chip on my shoulder.”

Wilson was effective in the hurry-up offense.  With Benny Snell in the backfield, playing with tempo does not jive with the ground and pound style that emphasizes ball control.  In his few uptempo opportunities, Wilson has played well.

“His two-minute drills have been really good,” said quarterbacks coach Darin Hinshaw. “He does thrive in that environment and he did on Saturday.”

I feel like I feel more comfortable when we’re uptempo,” Wilson said.  “Once we get the ball thrown and its completion after completion, you start to get into a roll.  We practice it all the time.  A lot of coaches say I perform best when we’re uptempo.  I like when we go two-minute.  It’s fun.”

The coaches would not say whether or not they would employ more series featuring the fast-paced offense, but offensive coordinator Eddie Gran could see a difference in his team.

“We were really, really sharp.  Guys were catching the ball, guys throwing the ball on time.  That comes from that confidence after that last drive,” Gran said.

Situational football will dictate how often the Cats can unleash Terry Touchdown Tempo.  If he gets the opportunity, Wilson trust his playmakers to create spectacular moments against Georgia.

“They’ve been coming together.  It’s a good thing to see over weeks we’re progressing, we’re getting on the same page and everybody’s being more accountable.  It’s just gonna be fun to see this weekend because I know we’re going to do some amazing things out there on that field and try to get that win.”

More Notes from Practice

Pump up the Volume — For the first time that I can remember, Kentucky pumped crowd noise into practice before a home game.  Maybe they did it to keep the team on their toes throughout the week, or maybe they think Georgia fans will travel well?

The Game-Winner wasn’t the Texas A&M Play — Two of the biggest plays of the season were passes.  Eddie Gran was criticized for calling one on 3rd and 2 at Texas A&M in overtime.  A pass worked on an untimed down at Missouri.  If you thought they looked similar, they were in fact not the same.

Quick-Hitters with Conrad — C.J. did not speak for long, after all, he’s done quite a bit of talking since his game-winning catch.  Sill, I think you’ll enjoy the 1:30-minute talking session.

[mobile_ad]

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

17 Comments for Terry Wilson is More Comfortable Playing with Tempo

1. Bluebloodtoo
    9:41 pm October 30, 2018 Permalink

That’s an interesting thought, although he didn’t exactly say it. Why not use Hoak when you want to chew clock, and use Wilson when you want to score?

• JusSayin
      9:54 pm October 30, 2018 Permalink

I don’t understand what the logic would be behind that. Or how that would even work.

• Alex90
      6:56 am October 31, 2018 Permalink

How about Gunnar sits on the bench unless Terry is Hurt? That sounds better

2. cats646
    10:08 pm October 30, 2018 Permalink

Just do your thing TTD! Go out there and get this W!

3. N-UR-i
    10:28 pm October 30, 2018 Permalink

Maybe sneak in a few uptempo drives. I wouldnt risk it too much or the defense may be on the field too much.

4. Wade
    1:01 am October 31, 2018 Permalink

Then do it

5. Wade
    1:02 am October 31, 2018 Permalink

I Like terry tempo speed it up slow it down!

6. michaelb
    1:47 am October 31, 2018 Permalink

Pretty simple , speed to get a lead, slow it down to hold the crown.

7. StuckinLville
    3:37 am October 31, 2018 Permalink

What do u mean u don’t understand why they are pumping in noise? Were u not at the Miss St game? I was and that place was loud. I can only imagine this weekend.

8. Shively1978
    4:48 am October 31, 2018 Permalink

I dont understand why anyone would still ask about Hoak. Last 3 or 4 opportunities what has he done? Wilson is the QB end of story. If he plays better up tempo then change the offense to fit your QB. Stop the conservative crap and score some points. It’s different than it use to be you have enough depth on the D to handle it. I think some of the younger guys are going to be really good. McCall Oats Square. Going to be ok defensively even after we loose these great seniors.

9. Mathlete
    6:44 am October 31, 2018 Permalink

We probably don’t have the conditioning needed to go up tempo the whole game, but a few surprise drives where Georgia can’t sub out unless we do would be to our advantage. It doesn’t let our offense get in rhythm though (not that consistently short drives does either…)

10. Alex90
    6:58 am October 31, 2018 Permalink

Going up tempo goes against what UK has tried to do the last 2 seasons which is ground and pound wearing other teams down and controlling the clock. Control the ground game control the clock control the game.

• henderblue
      7:54 am October 31, 2018 Permalink

That’s okay if you’re scoring. Which we haven’t been. I say mix in a little uptempo. Keep the defense guessing, keeps them from stacking the box. Utilize our QB’s talent. Opens up running lanes for Bennie.

11. Papaw
    9:45 am October 31, 2018 Permalink

Now if only someone would tell Gran

12. Bluebloodtoo
    5:12 pm October 31, 2018 Permalink

Well let’s see, two qb get experience at the same time. Opponents have to game plan for two different offenses. The biggest question for me is whether the o line can work in pass pro for hoak as well as they do in rpo for Terry.

13. Thetruthshallsetbennyfree
    2:47 pm November 1, 2018 Permalink

The reason the uptempo looked so good is it partially takes the OC(Gran) ability out of the game by letting the qb choose the play from a group if plays.