Tennessee kicked Kentucky’s ass

@Vol_Photos

No sugarcoating this one, folks. Tennessee marched into Commonwealth Stadium and kicked Kentucky’s ass tonight.

Outside of an early CJ Johnson fumble return for a touchdown and 7-0 UK lead, there is very little to be proud of if you’re Kentucky. Tennessee’s offense torched the Wildcat defense all night long, and the Vols’ special teams added to the embarrassment, scoring 14 points of its own with a punt return and a kick return touchdown.

Tennessee dominated all aspects of the game from start to finish, as it has done so many times in the past. Just another friendly reminder of Kentucky’s place in the Southeastern Conference.

Article written by Drew Franklin

39 Comments for Tennessee kicked Kentucky’s ass

1. Moto
    11:05 pm October 31, 2015 Permalink

Time for the kid gloves to come off when it comes to Stoops! Almost 3 years into his tenure and we are just as bad on the field as we were under Joker. Beginning to really think he is in over his head

• Leuther
      11:23 pm October 31, 2015 Permalink

No. At least we’ve won a couple of SEC games and been competitive in a couple more. That’s great progress over the Joker teams that lost 40 – 0, at home, to Vandy…

2. kyjohn
    11:06 pm October 31, 2015 Permalink

If UK divided the team into two equal groups and dressed one group in orange and called it Tennessee and the other group in Blue and called it Kentucky ,the orange would win.

3. jack
    11:09 pm October 31, 2015 Permalink

I have never in my life heard anyone speak on this subject, but why does Ky remain in the SEC? It makes building a football program extremely difficult. It’s a liability to our basketball program when we have a perfect season (We’re JUST in the SEC, after all). What does the SEC do for us? and in a time when schools are switching conferences like crazy, why shouldn’t we? Other than money and tradition, I don’t know what’s stopping us. Love to hear some intelligent discussion on this. I still believe we can build a football program, but we’ve picked the hardest conference in the u.s. to do so.

• jame223
      11:16 pm October 31, 2015 Permalink

Legit point. Never really thought of it like that.

• Cats paw
      11:23 pm October 31, 2015 Permalink

How did Michigan or Florida go from being terrible to great in one year with basically the same talent as the prior year? It’s called having a great coach. Nothing to do with a conference. If we could win in another conference we would still suck against good teams. What’s the point? If you spend 3.5 million on a coach…maybe he should have had at least one game experience as a coach?

• Ouch
      11:44 pm October 31, 2015 Permalink

Called money. SEC wrote KY a 30 million dollar check last year. No other conference can match that amount of money. That is one reason other teams would give their first born to move to the SEC.

• Cards623
      12:22 am November 1, 2015 Permalink

I would love for UK to come to the ACC. It would make it the dominant basketball conference by far, with some crazy basketball games every year. Plus UK would be much more competitive in football, and probably make bowl games more consistently. The only downside is loss of money from SEC football….

4. Sparks
    11:12 pm October 31, 2015 Permalink

It comes down to money. That’s the only reason they are still in the SEC. Football money makes a LOT surprisingly. I’d personally like to be in the ACC, much better basketball competition (most of the time, barring this year maybe?), and the football team might not get their ass kicked every night against teams that matter

5. timer
    11:12 pm October 31, 2015 Permalink

The slippery slope just got steeper and more slippery. I’m rapidly losing confidence in this coaching staff….

6. Football sucks
    11:14 pm October 31, 2015 Permalink

Did not really expect anything other than another beat down. After all we are talking about Kentucky football.

7. Embarrassing
    11:15 pm October 31, 2015 Permalink

Absolutely embarrassed to be a UK football fan. It’s one thing to get your ass kicked, its another thing down and take it. But then again, we’ve not really beat anyone this yr. Matt Jones said a few weeks back that we are mediocre at best, and yep, he was almost correct. We’re not even that good. Damn tired of not even being competitive. Losses the rest of the season and Charlotte game will likely go into OT.

8. Elmer Skaggs
    11:15 pm October 31, 2015 Permalink

Nothing wrong with losing if it is done the right way and no one does it better than Mark Stoops.

9. KYBruce
    11:16 pm October 31, 2015 Permalink

Time to face facts – UK must go all UAB and discontinue their football “program.” It’s a travesty.

10. Catlogic15
    11:16 pm October 31, 2015 Permalink

This team is soft. Coaches are soft.
    So evident in watching. Other SEC teams hit harder, play harder, compete harder.
    Recruiting? Whatever. We’re pathetically soft. Embarrassing.
    Three years. Same. Not better. Same.

• Embarrassing
      11:26 pm October 31, 2015 Permalink

Totally agree 100%. You did forget slow, every team we play has so much more speed. I’m tired of hearing about how fast boom Williams is, I have seen him totally out run a db or safety yet this season.

• Embarrassing
      11:27 pm October 31, 2015 Permalink

Correction, HAVE NOT seen him out run anybody!

11. Jim
    11:17 pm October 31, 2015 Permalink

And you were expecting something different ? We could have had Petrino but so it goes, on and on and on-

12. BallEater
    11:18 pm October 31, 2015 Permalink

Same ole poop…reminds me of 1965. SEC?…maybe they should go play in the EKMC. I thought defense was Stoops strong point? Don’t get your hopes up folks.

13. Andy
    11:23 pm October 31, 2015 Permalink

They beat us on the field and we were out coached and this team looked highly unprepared and shaky. Stoops is on the hot seat and this kind of play will affect our recruiting. We have an inconsistent qb, inconsistent coaching and a suspect defense.

14. Mike
    11:23 pm October 31, 2015 Permalink

Even with the vols at their worst UK still seems to get humiliated especially at home. Ready for some basketball after that loss .

15. binarysolo
    11:23 pm October 31, 2015 Permalink

Even though Vandy got shut out against Houston we’re gonna have a tough time playing down there. It really wouldn’t surprise any of us if we actually miss out on a bowl game. Again.

16. The Professor
    11:23 pm October 31, 2015 Permalink

Mikel Horton was the only bright spot in a truly dismal performance by the team and coaches. Georgia has no QB but I bet whomever they play will throw for 200 yards next week. Do you think it is time to hire a special teams coach?

17. Ialmost forgot to laugh
    11:24 pm October 31, 2015 Permalink

I’m amazed SEC/ESPN shows all these UK football games. Are they going for an Emmy for Best Comedy Series? You can’t blame the announcers for barely concealing their mirth.
    When people laugh at you; it’s time to clean house with the coaching staff.

18. Hakanea
    11:24 pm October 31, 2015 Permalink

Been watching this for 50 years….I’m damn tired of drinking the blue Kool Aid !

19. Embarrassing
    11:31 pm October 31, 2015 Permalink

Excuses promote UNDER achievement. We’ve got a boatload of excuses.

20. LaBEASTierre
    11:32 pm October 31, 2015 Permalink

I’m not mad at the players tonight. The coaches lost some points from me tonight. Severely under prepared, especially special teams No halftime adjustments. I like Stoops and i hope he gets it done. But they didn’t impress me today.

21. UK Fan
    11:38 pm October 31, 2015 Permalink

Barker Please

22. BluKudzu
    11:43 pm October 31, 2015 Permalink

I have said the same thing as everyone else posting tonight, since The ULL game. Nothing foul, commented with statistics from the NCAA we sight, to validate my point. I have been moderated and called a cardinal fan amongst other things.
    Now people are seeing what a joke the last to hires for the football program by Mitch Barnhart has worked out. What are you thinking now?
    It is not the players folks. It just isn’t.
    Special teams by committee. Really?
    This is way above stoops. Mitch do your job.

23. Jeff Schrembs
    11:48 pm October 31, 2015 Permalink

Earlier this year, and part of last year, the majority posted their praise of Coach Stoops and the same old tired “wait until next year” mantra. Throw in the “look at our recruiting” deflection and you have a perfect recipe for taking your eyes off the ball and acknowledging that UK football has fundamental problems with the QB, coaching staff, and the vast majority of players. No matter when, or if, UK has a “good win” in football UK fans DESERVE a good/great football team year in and year out.

I have been a UK fan since the 1960’s and since we have such success in Basketball we have (and it is sad) resigned ourselves to our football team not being good. This has to stop and stop…now.

We have a great University. The best fans. Great residents. Wonderful teachers. Proud Kentuckians. New football stadium. Exceptional facilities. To any 5 star recruit it should be easy to say that if you apply yourself on the football field, and in class, you have every opportunity to be a beloved legend. The benefits are long after you have left UK as fans don’t forget and continue to support ex players in many beneficial ways.

UK has brainwashed us to be happy to have 3 star recruits who, in most cases, don’t show up nor play hard and fast every snap. We should NOT settle for just 3 stars. We don’t deserve to go after Ohio, or Florida, left overs. Every player in high school in Kentucky should grow up WANTING to be a part of UK and not desire to go to other universities.

Just last week some UK fans were scared about Stoops going to Miami or any other university. Where was the emphasis on our losing this year? Last year? Year before that?

Where was the accountability of the players dropping passes? Our QB pathetic? Our non-existent pass rush?

WAKE UP UK fans and stop feeding into the madness. We put MILLIONs into the football program and we need to cease the smiles and patting on the back. NEVER CONFUSE EFFORT, or in this case lack of every single game, WITH RESULTS.

‘Nuff said.

Jeff Schrembs

24. Gay Bar Farts
    11:56 pm October 31, 2015 Permalink

You can’t polish a turd

25. DerbyDemon
    12:07 am November 1, 2015 Permalink

I’ve gotten on here in the past and absolutely blasted UK football from top to bottom. But you know what? I’m not going to do that anymore. I will say that throughout this debacle I still never got to see Barker. Stoops is great at making excuses and apparently that’s good enough for the powers-that-be at UK.

26. Chris F
    12:29 am November 1, 2015 Permalink

What I hoped to be at least a competitive game turned out to be otherwise. Here’s what I see.
    Towles- Inconsistent but capable of doing the job if given protection. He’s hit or miss but given his lack of amount of time to throw and his receivers inconsistent play, what ya see is what ya get.
    RB’s- They’re not bad. All seem like they can perform when given gaps to hit. Boom is obviously your home run guy but all are decent.
    WR’s- Explosive, talented and very inconsistent. I believe coaching and experience will show how talented these guys are. They just have to catch the damn ball.
    TE’s- Who knows? They block…
    O line- They bad. They either hold or if they don’t hold, they get ran all over. Need some big boys to stop big defenses. We don’t have that.
    D line- Momma says if you don’t have anything good to say, don’t say anything at all.
    Rest of the defense is hit or miss. Some of the youth is good. Most is not.
    Coaches- Stoops better shit can his coordinators and get this ship sailing right or he’s gone after next year. I don’t think he’ll get fired in the middle of next season but I wouldn’t be surprised.
    If Stoops is fired, we have to look for a huge hire. That’s gonna be a tough sell to for UK but dollar bills and new facilities can help land a new coach. So, who do we hire? Who’s that coach (and to hell with Bobby Petrino) that can do what some of these other first year coaches have done and really get this thing going?

• GoesTo11
      1:00 am November 1, 2015 Permalink

Very well said. Agree 100%

• Jame223
      1:16 am November 1, 2015 Permalink

Jeff Brohm

• Old white guy
      8:25 am November 1, 2015 Permalink

Half of the time, my comments are awaiting moderation and never make it. The other half, I’m called a troll or UL fan. If this makes it through, I agree with all of the above. I said I’d give Stoops 5 years…I changed my mind. This season is a rerun of last season. You know, when we started out great, and then couldn’t beat a team full of drunk nuns at the end of the season. Just like this year, except the offense is worse. Much worse. I expected gradual success under Stoops, until the fifth year when we would peak. I was wrong. I like Stoops, but he’s not going to get it done. Brohm is an intriguing candidate. Could be
      be any worse? At least we would score again. I really think Western is the best football team in the state this year.

any worse?

• CATandMONKEY
      10:09 am November 1, 2015 Permalink

Difficult to disagree with this, Chris. This should be passed on directly to Coach Stoops and he should be encouraged to take it to heart.

• CATandMONKEY
      10:11 am November 1, 2015 Permalink

Old White, It would be great to see us play a team of drunk nuns. I would pay $72 each for 4 tix, anywhere in the stadium

• Chris F
      10:33 am November 1, 2015 Permalink

Look, I’m not totally down on Stoops but I believe any reasonable fan has to take a step back and start to wonder what’s going on. It’s only natural to feel disappointment and start to question things. I believe we are a better team than when Stoops first showed up but he’s got some talent and they just aren’t producing and that is either a lack of heart on the players or a lack of coaching from the coordinators. Can we still make a bowl game? Yes. Can we play more games like last night? No.
      I believe my biggest fear right now is how these types of loses will impact recruiting. Stoops is recruiting better and he’s really closing the talent gap that’s separated UK from the rest of the SEC. For that, I give him many praises. With these types of games, where we get smoked by 20+ points, it can’t look good to potential recruits and can really flip a few commits on signing day. I believe that was what hurt us last year. You have a great start and a terrible finish to the season and it creeps doubt into the minds of good recruits who think they can do better elsewhere.
      Honestly though, I’m no coach. Just a fan. A disappointed one. I hope Stoops figures it out because I don’t know who we can get that’s gonna fix this like Michigan, Florida and others have done in a short span.
      As an after thought, imagine what this team would look like with a true leader on the field. Replace anyone on this team with a Randall Cobb. He was a leader. Maybe that’s what we are missing? A leader on the field. That player who has that will to win and plays as such.