Streak moves to 30 and Kentucky football is a joke

What a pathetic ass football game. Kentucky traveled down to Gainesville with hopes of getting back on the right track after last week’s debacle, then the football happened and Florida dusted the Cats for 60 minutes, as it has done each and every year for the last three decades.

Drew Barker was terrible. Stephen Johnson came in and he was terrible. The offensive line was terrible. The entire defense was terrible. The whole game was terrible. It was a complete embarrassment on national television as Kentucky was, once again, the laughingstock of college football. That’s a perfect 2-for-2 on the year for those of you keeping score at home.

CBS’s Gary Danielson was brutally honest during the broadcast, saying things like “Four years of hard work and this is what it looks like” and “How would you like to be a Kentucky fan right now? It’s got to be depressing.” Verne Lundquist wasted one of the last games of his career on the Cats.

As for some numbers, Florida won the game 45-7, but let’s call it what it really was: a shutout. Kentucky stole one in the final minutes against the Gators’ second string defense. Drew Barker finished the game with more interceptions than completions and the offense only managed to come up with 149 total yards, and 65 of those came on that final scoring drive. Florida, on the other hand, accumulated 564 yards on 83 possessions. Easy day at the office for them.

Moving forward, Mark Stoops’ seat is now engulfed in flames and he’ll be ripped to shreds in every football conversation from one end of the state to the other until something changes. There won’t be 30,000 people at the New Mexico State game next week. I jokingly tweeted that fans going to that game should split an Uber, but they seriously might be able to fit in an Uber XL. UK might as well open the doors for walk-in, general admission seating. Pray for a full lower bowl.

Man, it’s no fun to be so down on the program and I genuinely feel bad for the players because they’re busting their tails to do well, but, for whatever reason(s), it just ain’t happening. This football team somehow managed to get worse with more offensive talent than ever before. There’s no reason why that offense should go scoreless for five consecutive quarters against anyone. The defense, well it failed miserably in all aspects of the game. The “elite secondary” got torched and the front seven simply isn’t good enough to play SEC football right now. Teams will run and run and run and run all over them for the rest of the year. Hell, the Kentucky game is now considered a bye week for all opposing QBs on the schedule.

Now, let’s all go out and have a bourbon or do whatever you do to get back to your happy place. We’ll never get that preseason excitement from eight days ago back, but there are still 10 football games to be played and we love it too much to tune completely out. The team will work all week to correct the many things that need to be corrected before Game 3 back at home next Saturday, when the Cats should get that first win.

Until then, try to put this one (and the last one) behind you. Because that was a pathetic ass football game.

Thirty years. Thirty. Years.

Article written by Drew Franklin

166 Comments for Streak moves to 30 and Kentucky football is a joke

1. Ridge Runner
    7:10 pm September 10, 2016 Permalink

Very well summarized Drew. Fire Stoops is all that matters now. Failure to prep, motivate, in-game lack of coaching, etc.. Has consistently been more than we can stomach.

• UKPROF
      7:32 pm September 10, 2016 Permalink

I have to agree, Stoops needs to go NOW. I feel sorry for our players that have to play under these ‘coaches’, primarily Stoops and Eliot. We now know for sure, Stoops is just a lot of hot air with no substance and Eliot is no more of a defensive coordinator than my 4 year old granddaughter.

• ilovesecfootball
      8:30 pm September 10, 2016 Permalink

Enough is enough! Stoops needs to go and needs to go now! The team is obviously not prepared on offense or defense and the coach has no clue how to fix it. Barnhart has a decision to make and if he doesn’t he’s going to be staring at a stadium full of overpriced seats with no one sitting in them. We get beat by the offensive coordinator we fired at the end of last year. Our starting quarterback walks away from the school he grew up loving. Our current players are looking at the head coach like a herd of deer in the headlights. The same as last year. These guys don’t respect the coaching staff for some reason. Whatever the reason you’ve got a bunch of very good athletes out of position and making some bad decisions on the field. I’m a thirty year season ticket holder. Used to have twelve seats, now have two, getting ready to be zero. Enough is enough!

• [email protected]
      11:28 pm September 10, 2016 Permalink

What can you say. Best recruits that I can remember in recent years according the recruiting experts. Never improve once their on campus. Offensive Line Coach, Defensive Line Coach, Defensive Coordinator, maybe the whole crew have got to go. Something bad wrong with this team.

• EdC
      7:34 am September 11, 2016 Permalink

I agree that Stoops needs to go but I don’t agree that is all that matters. Mitch has proved over and over and over that he is going to hire a bum. Stoops and Joker and Brooks are all symptoms of the actual disease and that disease is Mitch.

And no Brooks wasn’t an SEC caliber coach. He just got us to garbage bowls and didn’t actually compete in the SEC. His record was .438.

#FireMitch

• cats paw
      8:51 am September 11, 2016 Permalink

i bet somewhere ole cats paw is out there saying I TOLD YOU SO!!!! for 3 YEARS!!! now go hire Art Briles or just drop the program….

• UK Big Board Update
      12:55 pm September 11, 2016 Permalink

You could say that about EVERY coach that’s coached at UK, dumbass.

Art Briles is a disgusting human. Just like your mother.

• ukforthewin
      9:17 pm September 11, 2016 Permalink

UK Big Board Update is always ready with personal insults. He’s never ready to admit that UK football is hilarious and terrible. Hey man, Devonte Fields says you can come watch UofL vs FSU if you want.

2. A_Blue_Wildcat
    7:12 pm September 10, 2016 Permalink

As long as Stoops is the head coach we will never see a bowl game.

3. damage_control
    7:12 pm September 10, 2016 Permalink

NMSU wins by 10

4. Howdy Doody
    7:14 pm September 10, 2016 Permalink

Yeah, I was the old grumpy pessimist last week….I am SO glad I saved my $10K to donate to charity. This coach and AD are pathetic.
    Told you so ….

5. buzzard
    7:15 pm September 10, 2016 Permalink

can’t we just forfeit the last 10 games and start basketball season? PLEASE!!!

6. Souf beach Lou
    7:15 pm September 10, 2016 Permalink

it’s LIT-ER-AL-LY a curse right now!

7. catdaddyd
    7:15 pm September 10, 2016 Permalink

Wait till next year, they have to come to our place.

We are just getting started bro.

8. Kyblue34
    7:15 pm September 10, 2016 Permalink

Nothing will change unless Mitch is gone. He will just hire another loser.

• buzzard
      7:20 pm September 10, 2016 Permalink

Ultimately, Barnfart is to blame. And to think he gave Stoops a contract extension last year! I feel bad for the players…..except Barker

• Rixter
      7:30 pm September 10, 2016 Permalink

You’re right. With all the high-profile head coaches who were lined up, applying for the job, I can’t believe he hired Stoops.

• Kyblue34
      7:38 pm September 10, 2016 Permalink

Whatever, real AD’s don’t wait for coaches to lineup.

• Rixter
      7:47 pm September 10, 2016 Permalink

Why, oh why.. didn’t Barnhart just go out and hire Nick Saban.

• Kyblue34
      8:12 pm September 10, 2016 Permalink

That’s just a stupid comment. No one expects to get Saban, but name another Power 5 conference team that has had worse coaches than Brooks, Joker, and Stoops. Even Vandy has had better coaches than this. Eight years ago UofL and Clemson were programs we would all consider at the same level or below us, but they’re both now far ahead of us. Who’s fault is that if not Barnhart’s? Making Joker HCIW and giving Stoops and staff a contract extension before even being bowl eligible is the two dumbest moves I’ve ever seen any AD make. Not to mention hiring BCG, who he wasn’t even going to fire until he was basically forced to. If you think he has done a good job, then you’re part of the problem that the football program is in this shape.

• 4everblue
      4:30 am September 11, 2016 Permalink

Remember it was Barnhart who hired Billy G while Coach Cal sat by the phone hoping it would ring. What a colossal blunder that was! Anyone remember that two years of hell?

• EdC
      7:35 am September 11, 2016 Permalink

Exactly #FireMitch

• bigabes4uk
      12:44 pm September 11, 2016 Permalink

Guys…I have always liked Barnhart and tended to give him the benefit of the doubt, but now the veil is finally off my eyes. Enough is enough. This is the same AD that hired Billy G, made Joker coach in waiting and now gives a $12 million buyout to a wildly under-performing coach. All he has to save him is Cal.

I like Stoops as a person. He’s a good man. But he is not the answer here and I think it has to be clear to anyone now- Barnhart is a terrible AD. Good ADs don’t make decisions like that. The worse thing is- even if we win the ship in bball, the football program is so bad it’s bringing everything else down- the fans, school and state! This SUCKS!

9. cdnwildcatfan83
    7:20 pm September 10, 2016 Permalink

Fire Stoops!

• UKPROF
      7:40 pm September 10, 2016 Permalink

Stoops AND Barnhart need to hit the road! Forget that stupid “YAHTZEE” phrase, Until stoops is gone, UK football won’t even be able to sign a 2-star recruit.

10. jdarren1963
    7:21 pm September 10, 2016 Permalink

I’ll be there in the stands next week….for the players. Hope everyone else will be there for those young men, too. And, it’s a long shot, but we might even win that one.

• j4stone
      7:24 pm September 10, 2016 Permalink

jdarren, I agree with you, but unfortunately the only way to get the athletic departments attention is money. if the stands are full, then Mitch will not take any action. I hate it for the players, they deserve much more.

• bigbluepaw
      7:30 pm September 10, 2016 Permalink

I would like to know the revenue breakdown of gate income for games vs.payouts from the SEC vs. bowl game payouts. I’m thinking that ticket sales isn’t the big incentive to win games here. It is going to bowl games.But I don’t know. Someone tell me.

• jdarren1963
      7:40 pm September 10, 2016 Permalink

I understand j4stone, but it looks bad for potential recruits, and potential coaches for that matter, for the stands to be empty. Looks like there’s no support.

• ukforthewin
      9:19 pm September 11, 2016 Permalink

They players are losers. That is why they lose. Stop acting like their martyrs.

11. AllBlueAllDay
    7:24 pm September 10, 2016 Permalink

Hopefully UK can pull off the upset next week at home

12. bbanks81
    7:24 pm September 10, 2016 Permalink

Amen Drew! I will be drinking Four Roses tonight! I’m not sure I have ever been embarrassed more in my 35 years of being a UK football fan. I think Trinity could have done better….anyone that wants free tickets for the next two games, let me know. What a joke

13. Forthesakeofeducation
    7:24 pm September 10, 2016 Permalink

I’m done. Every year we “buy in”, and every year we not only fall short of reasonable expectations, we fail miserably. It’s embarrassing, and we deserve better. The best thing for UK is to cut ties with Stoops, and the DC + staff, and get a real coaching staff in to make us respectable.

Watching UL made me jealous and sick last night. Our recruiting classes are better, but their players excel and succeed year after year. They are going to mollywhop us.

I won’t watch this abortion of a team again this year. Period. #firestoops

14. BluKudzu
    7:25 pm September 10, 2016 Permalink

Stoops is the worst. No wait, Stoops is the worst, ever.
    Thanks Mitch. You single handedly killed the football program forever. 4 years. 4 effing years of this idiot coach and even bigger idiot DC. Teams averaging 46 ppg against us and we average 21. How is this better than Joker?
    Barnhart, do your job. This is the worst team UK has ever put on the field. If you were doing your job, you would have fired this guy after last season. You created this mess, clean it up.

• UKPROF
      7:48 pm September 10, 2016 Permalink

I am not positive that this is the worst team or the worst players. I do however feel comfortable saying that Mark Stoops and DJ Eliot are the two WORST coaches in DIV 1 college football. Too bad that these players have to play thier college football under Stoops and Eliot. Sorry guys.

15. runningunnin.454
    7:26 pm September 10, 2016 Permalink

Cheer up, Drew…..the baseball playoffs are just around the corner.

16. derichgail
    7:26 pm September 10, 2016 Permalink

The only person that would come here would have to be desperate… Art Briles anyone? I honestly would not care one bit. I mean it seems like the successful schools have coaches that aren’t really well liked anyways. I mean look at UL with Petrino…

Unfortunately, Stoops will be here at least until his contract expires. To make matters worse he probably will get a bowl game this year and it will be the most ironic thing bc even after that noone will want him anyways.

On a side note, I’m starting to think that Big10 talent that we have recruited aren’t cut out for SEC football… You can tell a huge difference.

• catmandu22
      8:18 pm September 10, 2016 Permalink

Right. I said it last week. Barnhart should have Briles on speed dial. Let Stoops go now and bring in Briles to finish the season.

17. bigbluepaw
    7:27 pm September 10, 2016 Permalink

Nick and Freddie, next time you guys do a podcast, I’m interested in getting your opinion on the following. I think these questions apply to both the offensive and defensive sides of the ball for this game.

(1) Do we have the right schemes?

(2) Did we have the right formations called?

(3) Were the players in the right positions for these formations?

(4) Was an major issue the inability for players to execute their responsibilities?

(5) If the players are unable, they are the flaws physical or mental?

I’m an engineer, so I try to approach this from a root cause analysis perspective. Depending on how these questions are answered, blame will, varying degrees, point towards coaches (strategy or execution) and / or players (playbook knowledge, execution or physical abilities).

Interested in your opinion.

• Badwolf
      8:55 pm September 10, 2016 Permalink

^ a better coach than stoops

• UK Fan In Nashville
      12:02 am September 11, 2016 Permalink

Honestly, none of that really matters. Stoops has a whooped puppy dog mentality as soon as the team gets down, and it runs off on all of the players. We need someone with high energy that will get in players faces and fire them up.

18. BLUEsky
    7:28 pm September 10, 2016 Permalink

This pisses me off as much as anyone. But I choose to take the high road. Spewing hate accomplishes no good but it makes the fan base look as though it does not support the team.

• UK Fan In Nashville
      12:03 am September 11, 2016 Permalink

No other way to inspire a change here. The longer we support this crap, the longer it will continue. Meanwhile Louisville gets College Gameday next week.

• BLUEsky
      12:07 pm September 11, 2016 Permalink

I hear ya UK fan, but what if by the end of the year it turns out that Florida is better than advertised, and we end up going to a bowl? I still think it’s too early to jump ship, and there is a good chance everyone mouthing off right now might have to eat some serious crow if things turn around. A young team going in the swamp is not a good gauge of where this team is. The next several games will tell the story. If we can come out of the Vandy game at 3-3, the team will still be in pretty good shape to make a bowl IMHO. I think this is as much on the players as it is the coaches. The players don’t seem to be having fun out there. The players need to get back to having fun, and not treating the games like going to the dentist. I’m not down there with them, so hard to say for sure, but just by the body language even before the games they just don’t seem to be having fun right now.

• ukforthewin
      9:20 pm September 11, 2016 Permalink

Hard to like a bunch of losers. Just look at Barker’s face. He is a loser personified.

19. ukgirl4ever
    7:29 pm September 10, 2016 Permalink

Yea, it’s all Barnharts fault. I’m glad everyone thinks it’s a job that anyone will take. Anyone that thinks we can just pull a well known coach from a good school is crazy. We went after a known coordinator that should have been able to get it done, and he has on the recruiting trail compared to what what we were getting. I’m frustrated it hasn’t happened, but not sure there is a miracle worker the fans want out there that would consider coming here.

20. Blueghost64
    7:29 pm September 10, 2016 Permalink

Drew is such a joke as is half of everyone on here that just bashes young kids with every word they type on here. Yes they lost, yes it was embarrassing if it was embarrassing for us fans how do you think these kids feel come on people.

• Billy Hill
      7:37 pm September 10, 2016 Permalink

I’d bet they’re saying, “I made a huge mistake coming here. Why did I buy into Stoops’ BS? I could be playing for a winning team right now.” Meanwhile…Damien Harris is laughing.

• UKPROF
      7:50 pm September 10, 2016 Permalink

AT BILLY HILL! Less than 24 hours ago you were defending Stoops on your earlier posts. Glad to see you have come to your senses!!!!!!!

• runningunnin.454
      7:59 pm September 10, 2016 Permalink

Prof, that’s not Billy Hill…..don’t know who that is.

• Billy Hill
      8:01 pm September 10, 2016 Permalink

It’s me. I’ve looked into the belly of the beast and realized it’s a joke.

• Patches
      8:31 pm September 10, 2016 Permalink

Yeah Billy you have zero credibility. Keep pulling for this loser of a coach and put your asshat on over those ears.

• cats paw
      8:53 am September 11, 2016 Permalink

i accept your apology billy hill…..

• ukforthewin
      9:21 pm September 11, 2016 Permalink

They aren’t kids. They’re 18-23 year old men. They stink. They could be in the workforce. If they were this bad at their jobs, they’d be fired. Boo them.

21. Rixter
    7:34 pm September 10, 2016 Permalink

If Mark Stoops had one ounce of integrity, he would announce tonight that he is resigning immediately, and dropping UK of any financial responsibility to him going forward.

22. jch67
    7:34 pm September 10, 2016 Permalink

Here’s why Stoops won’t be fired

MARK STOOPS’ CONTRACT TERMS
    2016 $3.5 million

2017 $3.75 million

2018 $4 million

2019 $4.25 million

Buyout clause

If UK terminates Stoops without cause before Dec. 1, 2017, it owes the coach all the remaining salary in the contract. If UK fires Stoops between Dec. 1, 2017, and Nov. 30, 2018, the university owes the coach 80 percent of his remaining pay. If Kentucky ousts Stoops after Nov. 30, 2018, it owes the coach 60 percent of his remaining pay.

Read more here: http://www.kentucky.com/sports/college/kentucky-sports/uk-football/article47216100.html#storylink=cpy

• UKPROF
      7:54 pm September 10, 2016 Permalink

And here-in lies the problem. Mark Stoops has no incentive to WIN,. He is making MILLIONS to lose. And thanks to Mitch BarnFart, he makes millions if he looses his job. Nice gig, uh Mark???!!!!!

• Patches
      8:33 pm September 10, 2016 Permalink

UK the easiest mark for any wanna be coach to be rich for life.

• UK Fan In Nashville
      12:07 am September 11, 2016 Permalink

It’s a sunk cost at this point. Might as well assume it’s wasted money. The return on the investment will continue to diminish. Pay it out now to ensure we don’t lose more money. Simple economics. Fire him today.

23. ChrisHamby
    7:35 pm September 10, 2016 Permalink

Not sure what people expect…it’s UK football this is how it has been since I have been alive. Chill.

24. gcat4496
    7:36 pm September 10, 2016 Permalink

On one play we had three negatives. A sack, a holding penalty and an injury. This team is so bad. How do you get out scored 89-7 over the last 6 quarters, and let’s face, the 7 was a gift.

25. Art Vandalay
    7:37 pm September 10, 2016 Permalink

Maybe we should give them participation ribbons for today’s effort to help chewers them up?

26. Bluebros
    7:37 pm September 10, 2016 Permalink

I just don’t get it. Stoops is NOT the worst coach in America. He doesn’t have the worst staff. These are all football guys who know how to play the game. We have the facilities, we have good enough players. I just don’t get it. Should Stoops be fired? Probably… But that doesn’t put us in a better situation any time soon. Who would want to come to Kentucky? I don’t think you will get a bigger name than a Stoops.

I think the real issue has been QB play over the past 4 years. All of our guys have been seriously below average, especially Barker. You could just see it with Woodson. He had something special that Barker seems to be lacking. Stoops is going down in flames because of the mediocre QB’s he inherited and the whiff on Barker.

Where would Coach Brooks be without Woodson? You take that one player away from his team and he would have been canned in his 3rd year. One player can make all the difference and in the SEC, especially for Kentucky, its the QB position.

Yeah, yeah, Fire Stoops!! We’re just like a mad dog chasing our tail. Lamar Jackson at UL was a 3 star recruit but he has that special quality that Barker is lacking. What can you do…

• Billy Hill
      7:43 pm September 10, 2016 Permalink

Your first 6 sentences are factually flawed. Let me fix them for you…

I get it. Stoops is the worst coach in America. He has the worst staff. These are all football guys who don’t know how to play the game. We have average facilities, we don’t have good enough players. I get it.

• buzzard
      7:49 pm September 10, 2016 Permalink

It takes a lot more to win in the SEC than just a QB. Stoops is a defensive coach. Our defense sucks. Stoops can’t blame this on Patrick Towels!

• Bluebros
      7:51 pm September 10, 2016 Permalink

Sure Billy. Thanks for correcting the facts.

• chain62
      7:58 pm September 10, 2016 Permalink

Barker is wayyyyyy overrated!!!! I would pick Mike Hartline as my QB over Barker… Comparing him to Couch is a joke!! We let Neil Brown go…. He almost beat Clemson today….. We let Shannon go…. And they beat us last week… I heard Stoops is a prick and people don’t like coaching with him…. It’s time to run his ass out of Lexington!!!!!

• Bluebros
      7:59 pm September 10, 2016 Permalink

Ok buzzard, so if we had a QB that didn’t throw 3 interceptions then we still would have been blown out by 38 points? I’m not saying it all depends on the QB position but it’s a good place to start.

UK QB’s starts since Woodson & Cobb

*Hartline
      *Newton
      *Roark
      *Smith
      *Whitlow
      *Towles
      *Barker

Hummmm, I wonder why we suck ass? Surely it isn’t the QB position. Which one of those would you pick to lead your SEC team?

27. Bob Sacamano
    7:39 pm September 10, 2016 Permalink

Has that ex Mizzou coach’s cancer cleared up yet? Let’s get him in here and fix this mess.

• keiths
      8:11 pm September 10, 2016 Permalink

Yeah, because cancer always just “clears up” idiot

28. Fred Cat
    7:42 pm September 10, 2016 Permalink

Where is the STRENGTH AND CONDITIONING COACH? He needs to be fired as well! Stoops is TRASH! Our guys are way too small to compete as well! UF’s running back was bigger than our D-Line and Linebackers! That’s a problem! Stoops is supposed to be a defensive coach, strength and conditioning go hand and hand with DEFENSE! This guy has to go! We need a coach in shape, so he will know the importance of being in shape for the game!

• Billy Hill
      7:45 pm September 10, 2016 Permalink

Remember when KSR was talking about the state of the art strength and conditioning program at UK. Just one more thing KSR has misrepresented about this program.

29. Fred Cat
    7:45 pm September 10, 2016 Permalink

Tom Herman, Art Briles, Brent Venables just to name a few! We missed out on Kirby Smart and that was a shame! A change has to be made though!

• Billy Hill
      7:48 pm September 10, 2016 Permalink

Tom Herman is not coming to Kentucky. He used to insult Kentucky when he was at Ohio State. Besides, if he turned down South Carolina, what makes you think he’d look at UK. He’s not Drew Barker.

• Piedma Schwartz
      7:50 pm September 10, 2016 Permalink

we are not getting a big name coach. UK is where head coaching dreams go to die. Name a coach whos gone on to greener pastures in the last 30 years.

• Piedma Schwartz
      7:53 pm September 10, 2016 Permalink

the only way were getting a good coach is by giving some dreg a second chance. and we missed that chance with bobby petrino.. and since joe paterno is dead and jim tressel has retired I think we’re out of luck.

• cats paw
      8:54 am September 11, 2016 Permalink

art briles

30. JunkTwoMuch
    7:45 pm September 10, 2016 Permalink

Florida is an awesome team and the SEC is the best conference. Losing here is better than winning in the ACC.

• buzzard
      7:54 pm September 10, 2016 Permalink

That’s just a stupid thing to say. There’s no shame in losing to a superior team, but UK football is an embarrassment…. “4 yrs of hard work, and this is what they have to show for it!”

31. Piedma Schwartz
    7:47 pm September 10, 2016 Permalink

look at the bright side, it could be worse. we dont have to play wku or eku this year.

• Angelo
      1:29 am September 11, 2016 Permalink

Absolutely true!!

32. indbybirthcatbychoice
    7:47 pm September 10, 2016 Permalink

Hire Buddy Stevens NOW!!!!

33. BlueGrassBrass
    7:49 pm September 10, 2016 Permalink

This changing the culture phase is total bullshit. You either play fundamental football and compete or you dont. Mark Stoops has been given the position of head coach with all the tools he needs to develop his players into a team that can compete. Rich Brooks did it over a period of four years before Kentucky was competitive. Firing Stoops now would serve no purpose but to prove Kentucky is not committed to building a program. Most of you fair weather fans dont have a clue what it takes to build a team.

• keiths
      8:13 pm September 10, 2016 Permalink

And you’re an idiot. One of the most important things a coaching staff can do is develop players. Name one player in the 4 years stoops has been here that has got better?

• UK Fan In Nashville
      1:19 am September 11, 2016 Permalink

Obviously it takes four years to rebuild. Please tell that to Houston, Michigan, Louisville, and countless others that do it in the first or second year of having a new coach. The “not having enough time” excuse is beyond old.

• cats paw
      8:56 am September 11, 2016 Permalink

dont forget southern miss. i think they rebuilt pretty good

34. chain62
    7:52 pm September 10, 2016 Permalink

#FireStoops

35. jim tom
    7:57 pm September 10, 2016 Permalink

Never been any good and never will be. Hell I’ve known that for 30 years. No secret here.

36. Willy
    7:58 pm September 10, 2016 Permalink

Shut it down, dome the stadium for basketball where fans can get in!!!

37. Piedma Schwartz
    8:00 pm September 10, 2016 Permalink

i would trade every uk basketball national championship for 20 more winning seasons in football

38. chain62
    8:04 pm September 10, 2016 Permalink

Florida is not even a top 25 team…. They barely beat Umass last week…. We are a joke!!!! We have good players but are coaching is a joke!!! We upgraded millions of dollars to are football facilties for us to be a laughing stock…. I’m a Ky fam 4 life!!! It’s time to move on from Stoops…. I’m truly embarrassed!!!

39. kybigblue
    8:07 pm September 10, 2016 Permalink

UK didn’t show up on either side of the ball today or in the second half last week. UF finally generated an offense after getting off to a slow start last week. People talk about Stoop’s recruiting but his recruiting classes have been near the bottom of the conference. There were what 50,000 plus for a spring game when Stoops came to UK so the fan support is there and UK has spent millions upgrading the program. Hopefully Barnhart will go after a coach with head coaching experience unlike his last two hires. Not sure whether to trust Barnhart with another FB hire. UL and UT have fourth year coaches who are having success but Barnhart settled for a coach without head coaching experience and a name make famous by Stoops brother.

• Wah Wah
      10:26 pm September 10, 2016 Permalink

Stoops will move on and win a Championship. It is almost guaranteed now.

40. ronnie78
    8:10 pm September 10, 2016 Permalink

If hiring someone from a big name school was the recipe for success here than John Ray and Bill Curry would have been the best coaches. In fact they were the worst. The guys that had competitive programs here (Claiborne and Brooks) came from programs where you had to coach up guys that were passed over by the big name programs. Coaching up 3 star players is always the most important trait for a UK coach. Hire someone from a program that has does a good job coaching 3 star players (Michigan State, Wisconsin, Missouri) Stop thinking that hiring someone from a historical power is best for UK because history says otherwise.

• catmandu22
      8:28 pm September 10, 2016 Permalink

Great point. That is why I like the idea of getting Briles. He did it at Baylor which has been even worse than us. He would be hungry to get back into coaching and would love to show that he could win in the SEC.

41. Patches
    8:43 pm September 10, 2016 Permalink

There are no answers left for UK football. Joker and Stoops together have made us a laughing stock. Do not hire another coach just let him play out his contract then fire him, then hire a successful coach from a lower division for lots less money and make him earn his salary before giving him millions. I am 68 yrs old and will likely never see another good UK football team. At least we got BB.

• BluKudzu
      1:05 pm September 11, 2016 Permalink

I think Barnhart had more to do with it than either coach. The coaches did not help, but this mess is Barnhart’s, he put these clowns in charge. You have to think this mismanaged mess was intentional.

42. blukat
    8:45 pm September 10, 2016 Permalink

How is anyone surprised by this outcome? UK is not a football school, never will be. We can hope for a few good years here and there, but Florida is a football school that lands 4-5 star recruits on a consistent basis. UK does not. Teams like Florida will always have more talent which will always make them a difficult match-up for UK. Stop criticizing kids who are over matched and are doing the best they can.

• Wah Wah
      10:24 pm September 10, 2016 Permalink

Louisville used to say that same thing.

• Luether
      11:19 pm September 10, 2016 Permalink

Houston used to say the same thing…

• DelrayCat
      11:53 pm September 10, 2016 Permalink

Uh Houston is the 4th largest city in America located in the most talent-rich state in America. Kentucky has MAYBE 6-7 guys a year in high school that are legit FBS starters and UK gets at most 1-2 of those. The largest Houston based Texas 7A high school has more talent than dam near the entire state of KY.

• UK Fan In Nashville
      1:01 am September 11, 2016 Permalink

DelrayCat, Louisville is in the same state as us. Invalid argument.

43. stevemotley
    9:04 pm September 10, 2016 Permalink

Look I’m as mad as anyone right now. There is absolutely no excuse for the way this team is playing ball. There is no leadership at all, and you can tell by the effort of these players that they have not bought in to the system on either side of the ball. However, coach Brooks took a couple losses similar to the one we just witnessed in his fourth year. LSU and Louisville whipped our butts that year. I’m not saying don’t be pissed but I am saying keep everything in perspective. We still have a young team and there is still a lot of ball games left on the schedule to get this thing turned around. After these last two games I now that seems impossible but it really isn’t. The way we’re feeling now is the same way we felt after that loss to LSU in Brooks fourth year.

• Patches
      9:14 pm September 10, 2016 Permalink

Dream on and keep looking at failure through your Blue sunglasses.

• Bluebros
      9:26 pm September 10, 2016 Permalink

I don’t know… That Jordan Jones kid is a freak of nature. He’s the only one I noticed that didn’t give an inch all game. I’d say leadership starts with him and lets hope others follow suit

• Wah Wah
      10:24 pm September 10, 2016 Permalink

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAH

• ukforthewin
      9:23 pm September 11, 2016 Permalink

It’s so cute that Rich Brooks is considered a great coach at UK. Very telling. Basketball school.

44. Wah Wah
    10:22 pm September 10, 2016 Permalink

Stoops will win a National Championship. It is almost guaranteed. All he has to do is get fired from UK.

Kentucky Football ~ The Stepping Stone to National Championships and Super Bowls.

45. Wah Wah
    10:27 pm September 10, 2016 Permalink

Barnhart should have hired Petrino.

Period Decimal Point

• tippytoe
      11:22 pm September 10, 2016 Permalink

Could not agree more. Barnhart blew it again. I guess he’s happy now that he took the “high road.”

• Craig Sagers Suits
      11:47 pm September 10, 2016 Permalink

I argued that 4 years ago and got burned on this site for that opinion. Look at UL now. Hell look at UL before during tenure 1 and at Arkansas. The razorbacks were 11-2 final year after his first was a 5-7 year. If WKU got him for 850k/year, UK could have got him for the 2.2 mill they threw at Stoops. Both numbers are base salaries.

46. JunkTwoMuch
    10:27 pm September 10, 2016 Permalink

UK gets better recruits than UL. But UL can beat Florida. Coaching makes players better. Schemes and game planning make players better.

We can’t hide behind the excuse that Florida has better players. Heck, they hardly beat UMass. We lose to Sun Belt and CUSA.

We can’t even beat Florida with Cobb. UL has never had a Cobb type guy but they beat Florida?!?!

• DelrayCat
      11:55 pm September 10, 2016 Permalink

You are dreaming if you think UK has better talent than UL. Look at the roster. UL is better at virtually every position.

• JunkTwoMuch
      12:09 am September 11, 2016 Permalink

But we have higher stars and higher ranked classes. What’s all the Yahtzee crap?

UL gets worse players and make them better. UL beats people we say we can’t because of talent. And yet UK gets better ranked players and we coach them down.

UL will beat us by 100 if we play today’s game against them. Heck Bolin is better than anything we’ve had in years. But Barker has the stars…

Yahtzee !!!!

• BluKudzu
      3:40 am September 11, 2016 Permalink

UL gets transfers. They are older, bigger, stronger. Their rostrr is loaded with major Juco talent.

• JunkTwoMuch
      11:16 am September 11, 2016 Permalink

I hear you BluKudzu. Stoops just needs time to learn the Juco rules and time to get his own players in here.

UL is just older, bigger, stronger, smarter, better, and more loaded. Thanks for the education!

47. RehireNealBrown
    11:10 pm September 10, 2016 Permalink

#rehirenealbrown as HC

48. onsides
    11:39 pm September 10, 2016 Permalink

New Mexico State just beat New Mexico. I just hope UK preps and does all the cliches before they play them next weekend.

49. Big Blue Shawn
    11:50 pm September 10, 2016 Permalink

Well, look at the bright side. We recruit well in Ohio and we stole Lamar Thomas from the dirty birds. Geez, I won’t be able to give away my tickets to The NM State game.

50. Falco
    12:15 am September 11, 2016 Permalink

I knew last year Drew Barker wasn’t the answer, Patrick Towles was the scape goat along with Shannon Dawson.

• UK Fan In Nashville
      12:48 am September 11, 2016 Permalink

Towles was hardly a scape goat. He’s doing even worse at BC.

• sKYzthelimit
      1:27 am September 11, 2016 Permalink

Towles first outing last week wasn’t great, but much improved in Boston College win over UMass, the team that gave Florida a run last week. Towles passed for 191 with 2 TD’s and ran for 66.

• UK Fan In Nashville
      1:53 am September 11, 2016 Permalink

sKY, His adjust QB Rating was 31.1 today against UMass. Give me a break! He’s awful. Not saying Barker is any better, but Towles is terrible.

51. Falco
    12:22 am September 11, 2016 Permalink

This train wreck of a coaching staff lays squarely on the shoulders of Mitch Brainfart!!! A golden opportunity to hire Petrino was wasted!!!!!

52. UK Fan In Nashville
    12:35 am September 11, 2016 Permalink

Jim Tressel’s show-cause ends in 101 days. I’m just sayin’…

53. Falco
    12:42 am September 11, 2016 Permalink

Who gave a rat’s ass that Petrino had an affair and lied about it – apparently Mr. Brainfart and is Holier than thou hypocritical image and unforgiving nature reak with stupidity. John Kennedy cheated, Bill Clinton etc. etc. – doesn’t make it right; but when the man asked for forgiveness and was very motivated for the KY job – Mr. Brainfart said Hell no! Most don’t think lowly of Tom Jurich for hiring Petrino I’d venture to say most think Brainfart is an imbecile!

54. bige
    1:31 am September 11, 2016 Permalink

Not sure why UK keeps trying to run the same type of offense no matter what OC. Those offenses only work in certain conferences and when talent level is equal.
    QBs have been average at best the last few years and overrated as recruits. Barker getting run down by the d line all day. Elam is horrible an absolute bust.
    Stoops has a long way to go as a head coach. Needs to stop trying to do what his brother does as his bro is on the hot seat too.
    Defense need to be more aggressive with looks up front bring a backer of safety regularly and stop the slow d-line ‘ stunts’. On offense need a wildcat and empty backfield set (so predictable now) to keep the other team off balance plus Barker appears to be a bit slow (in all matters) to be put in bad spots.

55. Lip Man 1
    2:36 am September 11, 2016 Permalink

Kentucky is a top notch basketball program. Period. They are not a football school.

The sooner everyone accepts that fact the easier it will be on everyone.

56. RamblingBeachCat
    2:49 am September 11, 2016 Permalink

Knowing what we know now, Stoops’ “We’re just getting started bro” takes on a sinister connotation.

57. CopenhagenCat
    3:11 am September 11, 2016 Permalink

I think what is sad is us as UK fans support this team. Every year we are expecting things to finally change. But it never does. Fans buy football tickets just to just watch some of the worst football played ever. We can blame the players but we saw what they could do in the first half of the Southern Miss game when they really wanna play. When I watch them they look like its no fun for playing for Stoops. Plain and simple Stoops needs to go.He seems like a good man but I am so tired of watching UK Football being one of the biggest jokes in college football. The sad thing is who would they hire if Stoops is let go? Are they going to settle for another guy that hasn’t been a head coach just to get by? If UK really wants football to succeed they are going to have to spend the money and bring in a coach that has a proven track record as a head coach. I don’t have a clue who would actually wanna come here. With Stoops its the whole team. Everyone blames Barker but the poor kid in running for his life. The defense sucks. Hell they can’t even make a simple tackle. If Stoops really cared about the program he would step down. If UK doesn’t care about getting the football program fixed why should the fans support it? I love my CATS but enough is enough.

58. cdc_uky
    3:49 am September 11, 2016 Permalink

Hype meets reality. Every f’ing year. We are a stupid fan base that expects something different.

59. 4everblue
    3:51 am September 11, 2016 Permalink

60. Bill the Cat
    7:14 am September 11, 2016 Permalink

Said it before and stand by it. Ohio State couldn’t beat the SEC with the TOP players from Ohio. How can we do it now with those that don’t go to OSU? The talent, athleticism, speed of those players is not the same as those from the south. When we have beaten SEC teams it has been when we’ve had a good mix of athletes from GA, SC, etc.

Who was our recruiter when we picked up People like Woodyard, Williamson, Cobb, Trevathan, Dupree, etc. Yeah, that guy couldn’t coach the team but he sure could recruit well. Perhaps we need to fire Marrow and bring him back in that role and see what Stoops can do when he coaches athletes. He did okay at Fla St coaching that type.

61. Bill the Cat
    7:26 am September 11, 2016 Permalink

But I’m NOT holding Stoops blameless. Don’t get me wrong on that. He has shown zero ability to adjust in second halves and is obviously doing something wrong. Time to hire a football consultant from the NFL or a top college program to come in and help us get this built right. Maybe we ask Brooks to help us one more time? He did get us to a #6 ranking at one point.

62. EdC
    7:48 am September 11, 2016 Permalink

The Go Fund Me needs to be for the bum that keeps hiring bums. When are UK fans going to wake up and realize Mitch has been directing football revenues to other sports at he cost of an SEC caliber coaching staff? We have never had one since Bear left. I know some people thought it was wonderful going to the worst of bowl games but during the Brooks era. News flash. Brooks’ win / loss percentage was .438. He never did anything significant before Kentucky nor at Kentucky.

If fans don’t DEMAND Mitch stop hiring over the hill coaches and first time head coaches this will continue. Sure fire Stoops and his staff. They clearly are terrible but they, like Joker are just a symptom of the real problem. The problem is an AD who only sees football as a revenue source. And make no mistake it is quite a revenue source. Top 20 in all of college sports last time I saw the published list. There isn’t a culture problem from UK football fans. They fill the stadium. They travel to away games where they can get tickets. They travel to bowl games which, despite terrible teams we have gotten invited to bowl games.

There is absolutely no reason we are at the bottom of the SEC. How many SEC towns are better places to live than Lexington? What attractions are there (other than Florida) that would give them massive recruiting advantages? UK football isn’t pre-destined to fail. It is failing by Mitch’s desire to fund non-revenue sports. I’m sure he hopes it will get him some cute little AD trophy at some point in his life while the UK football ticket buyers and other fans pay the price.

#FireMitch

63. bacnine
    7:53 am September 11, 2016 Permalink

Where is Patrick when we need him. Oh, I forgot we ran him off. Boston College won yesterday. PT was 12 of 22 for 191 yards, 2 TD 1 Int. 12 carries for 66 yards, avg 5.5 yards.
    Ho hum, another Stoops move of infinite wisdom.

64. On the bright $ide, Matt’$ $ite is getting the mo$t click$ it’$ had in a while.

65. EdC
    8:19 am September 11, 2016 Permalink

Chris also on the bright side for Stoops, the way Mitch’s bonus and buyout clauses work Brooks probably earned one somehow yesterday.

• EdC
      8:22 am September 11, 2016 Permalink

or Stoops argh.

66. MikeyMike23
    8:31 am September 11, 2016 Permalink

offensive line and defensive coordinator should be fired today or mon. tired of hearing how good owe o-line is and they do nothing to protect the qb or open up holes. elliot is a joke. the defense continues to get worse every year.

67. lexslamman
    8:38 am September 11, 2016 Permalink

Calling it “Kentucky Football” not only insults the Commonwealth of Kentucky, but the sport of football.

68. roundball fool
    8:41 am September 11, 2016 Permalink

I’m trying to be patient with this staff but it is embarrassing. I really thought Stoops would develop a great defensive team. It hasn’t happened. I still don’t understand why they aren’t throwing to Conrad more either. The team just seems rudderless…..

69. Moose95to01
    9:31 am September 11, 2016 Permalink

Time to cut your losses and cut Stoops. I happen know for a FACT Willie Taggart down at USF would certainly be interested in talking with UK. He’s a recruiting dynamo and would be able to recruit very well being in the SEC! Give him a call UK!

• JaxUK2012
      2:29 pm September 11, 2016 Permalink

Taggert is 2-0 this year at USF I might add.

70. Badboy
    9:59 am September 11, 2016 Permalink

Sadly, Mitch himself was just given a contract extension and a raise to over $1 million per year. By my calculations his bad hires have wasted over $50 million. When will UK wise up?

71. jhups999
    10:39 am September 11, 2016 Permalink

To start off, D.J. Elliott needs to or have his DC responsibilities taken away. I’m not sure he knows what a second half adjustment means. IMO, Stoops needs to take over the D just like Mason did at Vandy. As a DC, Stoops took FSU from an overall ranking of 108th to 2nd in 3 years. Granted that was at FSU, but he also took Arizona from 109th to a top 25 ranking in his tenure there. Another spot on the coaching staff I would take a look at is the OL coach. Any QB would look less than average with the amount of time the give. Also, if Stoops goes so does Vince Marrow. That’s one assistant coach I never want to leave. People, It’s not always on the head coach.

As a former football player (from 2nd grade to senior year of high school), the players need to execute better. They are put on the field for a reason, the same reason coaches are on the sideline and the fans are in the seats. Simply put, to win. Not just the game, but each and every play. I don’t feel sorry for the players at all. If they all played like Jordan Jones, we might win every game we play.

Last but definitely not least, we as fans need to be better. A perfect example is the So. Miss. game, the student section was half empty from halftime on. I also witnessed several other fans leaving at the half. If all those fans stay, maybe their voices could have helped changed the momentum. Another problem some fans have are being impatient. UK has never been consistently great and you think that’s going to change in 3 or 4 years. Yes there have been great years, last on coming the year I was born in 1977. Even that year, UK was on probation and couldn’t play a bowl game. The fans have to stop calling for a coaching change every 3 years and 2 games into the 4th. I’m glad the AD (Barnhart) didn’t listen to the fans after that time frame on Brooks: 4-8 (1-7), 2-9 (1-7), 3-8 (2-6) and 1-1 (0-0). He finished that season at 8-5 (4-4) and you know the rest from there. It takes time to build a good college football team. Look at Duke (I can’t stand the fact that I’m comparing us to them), a basketball school, recruits the SEC footprint, in a power 5 conference, hasn’t been consistently good at football and the in-state recruiting pool is not as good as other states. They hired David Cutcliffe and here are his record for the first 3 years and 2 games are 4-8 (1-7), 5-7 (3-5), 3-9 (1-7) and 0-2 (0-0) losing to FCS Richmond in game 1 and losing to Stanford in game 2. He finished the 4th year at 3-9 (1-7). They were patient with him and he went 6-7 (3-5), 10-4 (6-2), 9-4 (5-3) and 8-5 (4-4). This is his second stint as a head coach and when TN came calling he decided to stay at Duke. We all know this is Stoops first job as a head coach, so we need to be patient. I think Stoops is the right man for the job but only time will tell.

• EdC
      11:17 am September 11, 2016 Permalink

You do know that Brooks had a losing record at UK right? Never actually competed in the SEC in any real way. In the SEC only UK fans would think a good coach is a guy whose career record is 39-47.

#FireMitch is where to start. He has not had a single hire in football that any other SEC team would want.

• jhups999
      1:19 pm September 11, 2016 Permalink

Yeah, that’s why I put you know the rest. I mentioned him because he had UK on an upward trend.

#KeepMitch is what it should be. Besides football, most of the other sports teams are in the top 25 or have been over the past few years. Who hired those coaches? Do we have another AD I don’t know about? Also, this is his 2nd football HC hire. His first was a disaster, just like his first basketball hire. I’d say the 2nd one worked out fairly well.

• jhups999
      1:22 pm September 11, 2016 Permalink

My bad, it was his third FB HC hire.

• EdC
      2:07 pm September 11, 2016 Permalink

All the anecdotes and diversion tactics about the other sports really don’t matter to me in the slightest. UK is and has been an SEC school for much longer than my lifetime. The SEC has been known for quality football for mich longer than my lifetime and Mitch clearly either doesn’t want to or isn’t capable of making sure Football competes in the SEC. #FireMitch

No we don’t have another AD. Hire one. Between Gillispie and the terrible football he has a grade of basically 20% on a 100% scale with Calipari being the exception in the 2 biggest sports in college athletics. Calipari is also an exception that Mitch did not want to hire. It has been pretty thoroughly reported that the only reason he was hired is because UK basketball fans don’t put up with the same nonsense that the football fans do. I’m tired of terrible teams and people thinking making the garbage bowl game is OK. There is zero reason a top 20 revenue team is not treated that way by the administration just because fans are loyal.

Since 2003, when Mitch had full hiring control UK football has won .398 of their games under the 3 bum coaches he hired. In that time only Vandy with .381 is worse. It’s time to stop with the bait and switch of how other teams in more minor sports are faring. Spend football revenues on an SEC caliber football coach.

He isn’t willing and / or not capable of hiring an SEC caliber coach so get rid of him and get an AD who can. That is what any responsible CEO would do if one of their VPs kept hiring bums.

72. RICKSVD
    12:12 pm September 11, 2016 Permalink

Believe it or not, the program is set up for immediate wins. A team with solid four balanced class, most the sophmore and freshman are redshirt. Facilities are top notch. And it’s SEC. It’s more attractive now than its ever been. A good coach could win 7-10 games next year and have it rolling for the foreseeable future. The buyout is chump change with the money they are making on the suites. Must make a move this year while it’s attractive. Brohm would take the 4 million I a heartbeat.

• jhups999
      1:26 pm September 11, 2016 Permalink

Why do you think it’s setup that way? Wasn’t even close to this when Stoops arrived. At least let the guy have a year or 2 with his players in the training facility he helped get built.

73. RICKSVD
    12:13 pm September 11, 2016 Permalink

Rich Brooks would win 8 plus games with this roster

• EdC
      1:53 pm September 11, 2016 Permalink

Yea the Rich Brooks whose entire career at UK won less than half his games?

74. BLUEsky
    12:14 pm September 11, 2016 Permalink

I haven’t heard one mention about the offensive line coach. If we are playing the blame game here, gotta throw him under the bus as well. The only problem with the offense yesterday was the O-line, and Barker’s youth. He is not quite ready to handle that kind of pressure. How many games has he started now? 4? This guy is still green, but exceptionally talented.

What if by the end of the year it turns out that Florida is better than advertised, and we end up going to a bowl? I still think it’s too early to jump ship, and there is a good chance everyone mouthing off right now might have to eat some serious crow if things turn around. A young team going in the swamp is not a good gauge of where this team is. The next several games will tell the story. If we can come out of the Vandy game at 3-3, the team will still be in pretty good shape to make a bowl IMHO. I think this is as much on the players as it is the coaches. The players don’t seem to be having fun out there. The players need to get back to having fun, and not treating the games like going to the dentist. I’m not down there with them, so hard to say for sure, but just by the body language even before the games they just don’t seem to be having fun right now.

• BLUEsky
      12:17 pm September 11, 2016 Permalink

BTW, if we are 1-5 or 0-6 after Vandy, I’ll shut up and listen 🙂

• jhups999
      1:29 pm September 11, 2016 Permalink

Apparently you didn’t read my post at #71.

• EdC
      2:08 pm September 11, 2016 Permalink

Ah the great fan rationale about UK football over the years “what if.”

75. Jester
    1:32 pm September 11, 2016 Permalink

So….where is that colossal dumb ass UKBigboardupdate or whatever his stupid name is? In the past he was all over the place telling us how wrong we are about the state of UK football. Now that what we have been saying is once again being proved, the coward is nowhere to be found.

I guess that’s the only bright spot in this fiasco. I hope that sissy learns when to keep his mouth shut.

• ukforthewin
      9:26 pm September 11, 2016 Permalink

I heard UK Big Board Update has been hired as Lamar Thomas’ personal therapist. He helps console him now that’s he has realized Bobby Petrino really was his Daddy and didn’t need him.

76. Jester
    1:33 pm September 11, 2016 Permalink

Also, Mitch Brainfart is as much to blame for this train wreck as Coach Stoopid.

77. ukforthewin
    9:27 pm September 11, 2016 Permalink

How come Lamar Thomas is not saying cute things on twitter to UofL fans? Weird. I thought he was going to turn this thing around.