Stopping Ke’Shawn Vaughn is Priority No. 1 for Kentucky’s Defense

Frederick Breedon | Getty Images

Frederick Breedon | Getty Images

Ke’Shawn Vaughn is public enemy No. 1.

This Saturday afternoon in Nashville, Kentucky’s defense will be tasked to stop one of the SEC’s most explosive running backs.

“He can take it to the house at any moment. He’s a big play waiting to happen. He’s done it against a lot of good opponents in the SEC,” said defensive coordinator Brad White.

“He runs hard, he’s got the speed. You don’t think of guys that are that big — 205, 210 — that can bounce and get the edge like he can. He can really accelerate once he gets there. He’s compact, he’s hard to tackle between his knee and his waist. You see a lot of guys bounce off so we’ve got to do a great job gang tackling, make sure we’re thick in our tackles and running our feet.”

On pace to rush for over 1,000 yards for the second consecutive season, the transfer from Illinois has five runs for over 30 yards, tied for the fourth-most in the SEC.

“We have to be physical at the point of attack,” said defensive back Jordan Griffin. “It’s the SEC so each and every week you gotta come ready to play and that’s one thing we’re going to come and be ready to do.”

Not only is he explosive, Vaughn is a big dude.

He’s a bowling ball. Hew’s got really powerful legs, runs really hard, low to the ground. When he makes contact, he runs through contact. We gotta drive our feet and not arm tackle because he’ll run right through those,” said Kash Daniel.

“He’s a strong back. He just knows how to get to the end zone,” added DeAndre Square. “We’re keying in on him. He’s a great running back. He’s a powerful dude, he’s elusive, so we just gotta stay on our keys and play great.”

Averaging just shy of five yards per carry, Vaughn has accounted for 40 percent of Vanderbilt’s offensive production in 2019. If Kentucky can contain Vaughn, it will limit the Commodores’ ability to make explosive plays. An offense that has put up historically bad numbers, Kentucky’s defense does not care. To get their first win of the season, Kentucky must be ready to play as soon as the ball is snapped.

“If you’re overlooking an SEC opponent, you’re in trouble,” White said. “Anybody can beat anybody. These games with Vandy have always been hard-fought games. We know when we go down there they’re ready, they’re going to be geared up. They’ve got really talented players on offense. We’ve got our hands full with the running back. It looks like Riley (Neal) will be back, 16 (Kalija Lipscomb) is a really good player at wide out, 80 (Jared Pinkney) at tight end. They’ve got plenty of weapons to put points on the board.”

[mobile_ad]

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

8 Comments for Stopping Ke’Shawn Vaughn is Priority No. 1 for Kentucky’s Defense

1. cats646
    4:43 pm November 14, 2019 Permalink

I’m no coach, but I believe priority #1 should be SCORING MORE THAN 13!!!!

• mashburnfan1
      4:58 pm November 14, 2019 Permalink

Well this is from the defense and DC so while they may try to score as well their #1 job is to try to stop the other team.

• cats646
      5:16 pm November 14, 2019 Permalink

Lol. Very true. I didn’t read the post, and now I thoroughly regret it.

• cats646
      5:30 pm November 14, 2019 Permalink

Damn. I see I didn’t even read the entire title either. Lol. I need a glass of bourbon.

2. MacAssassin123
    5:12 pm November 14, 2019 Permalink

Stopping KeyShawn Vaughn is going to be a lot harder than people think, I mean LSU wasn’t able to stop him ,he went for 130 yards rushing on 20 rushes and for 2TD’s he also had 2 receptions for 21 yards receiving in that game. This is LSU we are talking about now you the team who just went into Tuscaloosa and beat Alabama. So going off logic if LSU couldn’t Stop V do it so they couldn’t do it what Vaughn (very few teams have this season) what makes you think UK can? I think we should worry more about find a way to come out with a more ballanced and potent offense that also includes getting the ball into the endzone. we can’t keep relying on Lynn to run the ball every single play that’s not SEC Championship caliber football, good teams win football games effective and ballanced offense and phenomenal defense. On offense you have to be able to run when you need to and throw the football effectively when needed you have to keep defenses on their toes, this weak-ass, one-dimensional bullshit offense,is not going to get it done. I mean it will do something, get you beat and fast! However that’s just my opinion. As always Go Cats!!! Let kick Vandy’s Ass on Saturday!!!!

3. cats646
    5:20 pm November 14, 2019 Permalink

Am I the only one who thinks Vandy’s uniforms and helmets are the coolest in the SEC? That chain going down their helmets to the anchor in the back is badass! I hope Kash hits Vaughn hard enough to knock his helmet up to me in the stands so I can take it home!! Lol

• MacAssassin123
      5:49 pm November 14, 2019 Permalink

Unfortunately if that happens a member of the stadium staff will take it from you before a helmet is technically property owned by the University so you would be facing criminal charges and probably a huge lawsuit if you did decide to keep it. Suck asking because I agree with you I would like to have one as well.

4. michaelb
    10:13 pm November 14, 2019 Permalink

Candy ain’t no push over lol. Hey if the cats walk in here like I think they are they’ll get their tails handed to them. Vandy also has a good receiver named cam Johnson