Stoops won’t let you forget the Senior Class’ Accomplishments

Saturday will be the final send-off for 16 seniors at Kroger Field.  The game against Middle Tennessee State will serve as a celebration, especially if and when the Cats snap a two-game losing streak, the first losing streak of the season.

The last two weeks of football have been disheartening, to say the least.  Still, Stoops won’t let the seniors’ accomplishments get overlooked by a bump in the road.

During the head coach’s weekly press conference, the Courier Journal’s Jon Hale asked Stoops, “The senior class that’s playing in their last home game on Saturday is going to go out with as many wins as any Kentucky senior class in a long time.  What has that group meant to your program?”

Stoops responded: “I appreciate that Jon.  I’d like you to rephrase that a little bit louder so everybody can hear that.”

It was not just a tongue in cheek remark.  Stoops made Hale say it louder so the folks in the back could hear that this group of seniors has won more SEC games over the last three years than any team in the history of University of Kentucky football.

“The most in school history as far as SEC victories.  I think they deserve a little credit for that.  I think we all, I’m the first one, you always want to hang onto things.  What can you do better?  That’s what drives us everyday, it’s what drives me everyday and that’s what I wanna do.  But I also wanna give recognition to that senior class, what they’ve done and what they’ve meant to this program and how much I greatly appreciate them and I think the Big Blue Nation appreciates them.  They will, it’s a fact; over the last three years they’ve won the most SEC games as anybody in the history of this school.  That’s a long time folks.  I appreciate what they’ve done.”

Kentucky has won 13 SEC games in the three-year span, largely thanks to contributions from the senior class.  This season has been an historic success, even with the recent shortcomings, ones that will not be overlooked as they prepare for MTSU.

“That can’t happen, it’s in excusable and we need to do a better job.  With that being said, it’s one game.  We have to move on and prepare for a victory this week,” Stoop said. “It doesn’t diminish all the good things our team has done throughout this year.”

If the Cats can move past the Tennessee loss and finish the season with two more wins, it will be the most by a Kentucky team in 41 years.  That’s incredible.  Don’t forget that (or Stoops will send you a reminder).

[mobile_ad]

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

11 Comments for Stoops won’t let you forget the Senior Class’ Accomplishments

1. cats646
    1:56 pm November 12, 2018 Permalink

Everyone show up for these boys Saturday.
    Go big blue!!!!

• JASUN74
      2:17 pm November 12, 2018 Permalink

Yes sir,,!! If they can win out?? Let me fix this for them cats646!! Hehe. When we win out and the football world starts thinking,”now that’s the Kentucky Wildcats folks”, and we go win the biggest bowl game in many,many years , we won’t even remember this past week. What a jump start this senior class has gave us and when we win the 2020 SEC Championship and the 2020 National Championship, we will look back at this group and remember how they sacrificed for us and this great University. You talk about a celebration. Big Blue party for a month!! Wowooo. Go cats. See you this weekend my friend.

• ClairsyDarsiy
      3:37 pm November 12, 2018 Permalink

CATS, CATS, CATS. These are some special CATS and they deserve to be supported.

• cats646
      2:32 pm November 12, 2018 Permalink

Hell yea JASUN!!!! Go cats!!

2. ClutchCargo
    2:23 pm November 12, 2018 Permalink

I’m sorry, but every single game counts in football, and a terrible loss does diminish the good things the team has done this season. A New Year’s Six bowl game is off the table. Having said that, I’m glad we are finally to the point of being disappointed with “only” 9 regular season wins (yes, I’m assuming it works out that way).

3. JohnnyCheeseSticks
    2:50 pm November 12, 2018 Permalink

Very true. Stoops, like any coach, sees the glass half full. Eddie Gran still needs to be fired.

4. N-UR-i
    4:47 pm November 12, 2018 Permalink

Fire Eddie Gran

5. Bluebloodtoo
    5:40 pm November 12, 2018 Permalink

I agree with stoops that this team and these guys have been exceptional, but the current trend does warrant some talking time.

6. dbcline1
    7:48 pm November 12, 2018 Permalink

Great group of seniors over all! They have done great things for the program! That being said, unless we come out and really handily beat these last 2 teams their will still be a sour taste in a lot of folks! Play and win like we should and then make a great bowl showing( W or L) and ally of this heartache will be gone! GO CATS!!!!