Stoops wishes he could have a couple do-overs

screen-shot-2016-11-05-at-11-35-52-pm

That was a heartbreaking defeat we just witnessed in an electric Commonwealth Stadium. A play here or a play there and Kentucky is sitting in sole possession of first place in the SEC East. Unfortunately, key mistakes were made, in execution and play-calling, and Georgia will travel back to Athens with a gift of a win.

After the game, Mark Stoops said, “It was a very difficult loss. Lot of disappointed people in that locker room.”

He didn’t shy away from taking some of the blame, either. He admitted to making his own mistakes, telling reporters, “There’s always things you can do better. There are a few calls in particular that I wish I could have back.”

I think it’s safe to assume some of those calls came on Kentucky’s final drive, a drive that needed more than the three points. The Cats’ offense got a little too reliant on the Wildcat and then threw the dreaded fade to Dorian Baker on third down. Maybe not the best strategy in that situation, which is why Stoops will go home with a little regret on his plate.

I assume many others would like to take some plays back as well. Jeff Badet’s drop is a glaring mistake, as is Garrett Johnson’s fumble on the previous drive. Then there’s the holding call that cost Kentucky a field goal, which proved to have a very meaningful impact on the game.

Ugh.

Article written by Drew Franklin

23 Comments for Stoops wishes he could have a couple do-overs

1. Kat 308
    12:01 am November 6, 2016 Permalink

Good effort, good game, move on beat the vols go stoops go cats!

2. Kat 308
    12:01 am November 6, 2016 Permalink

Don’t flinch

3. tippytoe
    12:03 am November 6, 2016 Permalink

The dreaded fade to dropsy himself. Odds of that actually wprking? Stoops told Gran to do that. Something to think about for next week: last time Kentucky beat Tennessee, they didn’t have a quarterback and he didn’t throw!

4. Hillary should be in jail
    12:04 am November 6, 2016 Permalink

The only thing that will take away the sting of this loss is for Trump to defeat the crook.

• KYcats11
      12:08 am November 6, 2016 Permalink

Getthe your big political butt outta here. It has nothing to do with who you are obviously votin for. I honestly don’t care. But don’t bring politics in to a sports website

• Hillary should be in jail
      12:09 am November 6, 2016 Permalink

Drop dead

• UK Big Board Update
      12:21 am November 6, 2016 Permalink

Big Blue Shawn, everybody.

• UK Big Board Update
      1:07 am November 6, 2016 Permalink

Trump supporters truly are the weirdest people on the planet.

• RealCatsFan
      7:49 am November 6, 2016 Permalink

Since you elected to make things political, shawn, I’m going to say that it is true that Hillary sucks, she flies around on a broom, and I don’t trust her ability to run the country. I would much rather have Bernie. That being said, I am an Independent, and this year I would have voted Republican if your party had not nominated a narcissistic psychopath with the emotional maturity of a 4 year old. Trump should be in jail just as much as Hillary: tax evasion, sexual abuse, fraud… take your pick. It’s just a sad set of choices for our country, and I’ll be glad when this election is over. Sports are a welcome relief from it, win or lose.

5. KYcats11
    12:06 am November 6, 2016 Permalink

Definitely has nothing to do with conrad’s hold. It might have been a block, scoop, and score if he doesn’t hold him. That actually was a good play by him.

• ScoggDog
      12:10 am November 6, 2016 Permalink

No fair … actually watching the game.

6. original slappy
    12:09 am November 6, 2016 Permalink

Wash. Rinse. Repeat.
    I’m pretty sure these are the same lines he used during the last loss. And the couple dozen before that. At some point as a coach you have to learn from those mistakes. Does he hear himself talk?

7. Theymademesignup
    12:17 am November 6, 2016 Permalink

I’m surprised he didn’t blame the fans again.

8. BluKudzu
    12:24 am November 6, 2016 Permalink

Just needs more time.

• maximsm
      8:53 am November 6, 2016 Permalink

Everyone knows its the fans, commnetators, and North Korea are to blame for this not the coach.. You actually expect the coach to devise a winning strategy that’s just crazy talk. Give him four more years then watch out 7-5.

• BluKudzu
      9:33 am November 6, 2016 Permalink

Today’s word: Urgency.
      UK football fans need to temper their sense of urgency to match the urgency of the UK football team and coaches. That way you will stop groveling in negativity.
      I think if we had worn the black helmets, we would have won.
      I suppose the whole field storming became a non issue? I was going to burn a couch in the parking lot, anyway. I will just save it for the Austin Peay game, then do it with urgency.
      We are better this year, we will be better next year. Somehow, this whole 4 years of top 30 recruiting classes and not being able to beat a team in the RPI top 50 will work it’s way out. No urgency needed.
      It is good to see the players and coaches, put this game behind them with a sense of urgency.

• UK Big Board Update
      1:46 pm November 6, 2016 Permalink

And just like that, BluKudzu has gotten right back off the bandwagon.

9. trumpetguy
    12:45 am November 6, 2016 Permalink

“Skilled” position players, wideouts, keep dropping passes/fumbling when they do catch it, etc. QB habitually over throwing 5-7 yard passes to tight end. Can’t beat decent teams when RB’s must run for 250+ yards per game to even have a chance….UGH UK must be near the top in possessions squandered to turnovers….effort is there, execution is beating ourselves!

10. Hillary should be in jail
    12:48 am November 6, 2016 Permalink

I bett Mitch wishes he had a do-over during the hiring process.

• UK Big Board Update
      1:08 am November 6, 2016 Permalink

Big Blue Shawn, the UL troll, everyone.

• cats paw
      6:34 am November 6, 2016 Permalink

Uk big board, the envious UL little brother, everyone.

• EdC
      7:33 am November 6, 2016 Permalink

I bet Mitch doesn’t care at all. The stadium was filed and revenue was flowing. That is pretty clearly all he cares about with regard to football. Keep the money flowing so he can fund other sports.

Now … imagine a world where the fans held him to a similar standard in football that they hold him to in basketball and things change. Since UK football fans are very happy with 6 wins and a crappy bowl every few years (comments in this board are perfect evidence of that) that isn’t going to happen.

11. 206Bones
    6:52 am November 6, 2016 Permalink

Go ahead and name those “do-overs”.
    That is easy to say, “I wish I had plays I could call again” but tell us where you screwed up if you think you did.
    This time next week there will not be another word about it!