Stoops will meet with Boom Williams today

The main takeaway from this morning’s press conference was JoJo Kemp taking over the starting running back spot from Boom Williams. Stoops told reporters that the reason JoJo was moved to the top was his performance against Missouri (13 carries for 66 yards).

“The thinking was that’s the way the game went. JoJo was the guy that did some things in the game, and he deserves an opportunity.”

A lot of you have pointed out that Boom left the game early, electing not to celebrate with the team on the field. When asked about that, Stoops said he’s waiting to discuss that with Boom today.

“I’m waiting to visit with him myself. He had some academic responsibilities all morning. I’ve been trying to get him in my office, prior to this conference, I haven’t been able to get the time. We’ll meet before our meetings this afternoon.”

Stoops said the reason he wants to meet with Boom is not his blocking.

“That’s not the issue. Was it up to snuff or not, just like some of our guys, there’s always things we can critique them on and do better. But, that’s not the issue,” Stoops said.

He cut into the next question to jokingly add “I guess I’m not insinuating there is an issue, but there could be, I guess. I don’t know. I’ll look at it.”

Stoops ended the conversation by once again clarifying that he gave JoJo the starting nod because he played better.

“Yeah, that’s what I said. I need to talk to Boom. I don’t want to say anything or insinuate anything. I’m not sure. I need to talk to him.”

Hmm…

52 Comments for Stoops will meet with Boom Williams today

1. GTx2
    12:25 pm September 28, 2015 Permalink

That ain’t good…….

• Crazy88
      2:55 am September 29, 2015 Permalink

My source close to the team said after the game the reason Boom was sidelined was because when he fumbled the ball in the game, something was said to him from the sideline and he turned to coach and started yelling at him. Hints why JOJO pretty much ran the rest of the game. Tomorrow morning all of this will be public I’m sure and we can all move forward. We are solid in our backs unlike past years so no need to worry JOJO can handle the spot just fine, he is super talented as we all know.

2. Brian
    12:31 pm September 28, 2015 Permalink

Hopefully he will take this as a learning moment, and it will motivate him some more. The fact that Stoops seemed a little lighthearted during his comments makes me think its not as big of an issue as it seems.

Boom is an awesome talent – he’ll get his. You just have to go about it the right way.

3. Bluetothebone
    12:33 pm September 28, 2015 Permalink

Know someone who tailgates with Boom,s dad and he said his dad was very quiet after the game…not good folks… jojo had a beef after the SC game last year and didn’t get more mins, but kept his team attitude and his head up… Time for boom to do a little bit of the same… There is plenty enough time for both of them during the game and I think the coaches will see to it that they get it

4. Roflectomy
    12:34 pm September 28, 2015 Permalink

As I was watching the game, I was wondering why it was that Jojo was just now getting a chance to really step up, considering how he basically took over the game against South Carolina last year and then stepped up against Missouri when other things weren’t working. That’s two big games that Jojo had a huge impact on.

If Boom is upset with Jojo taking the starting spot, maybe he needs to look at what he can do to get the spot back instead of moping and not celebrating with the team.

5. The other white meat
    12:35 pm September 28, 2015 Permalink

Sorry to hear this. I like Boom. He just needs to work harder. Stoops has to play the guys that will deliver.

6. MM
    12:37 pm September 28, 2015 Permalink

Hearing Boom and his dad are very unhappy with stoops, and are talking about a possible transfer.

• CatsBy80
      12:38 pm September 28, 2015 Permalink

you got a source? or are you just looking to stir the pot?

• Brian
      12:38 pm September 28, 2015 Permalink

You wish, Tard.

• MM
      12:42 pm September 28, 2015 Permalink

My source is player on the team and close friend to Boom. If you know anything about Boom, you will probably be able to figure who that source is.

• testy
      12:47 pm September 28, 2015 Permalink

He’s not transferring. If they were talking about that, Stoops would not have mentioned needing to talk to him. He just faced some adversity and has to overcome. Let him have a big week this week and all will be forgotten.

• jeff
      12:50 pm September 28, 2015 Permalink

Then why was boom standing next to stoops as they were taking the field pre-game and looking very focused and why was his dad still in catwalk on Saturday?

Something doesn’t add up…

• MM
      12:54 pm September 28, 2015 Permalink

I’m completely making this up 😉

• J-Dub421
      12:58 pm September 28, 2015 Permalink

Really??? You think Boom would be upset enough over one bad game to transfer?? The entire coaching staff, including Stoops, has done nothing but sing Boom’s praises since he got to UK.

• MM
      1:46 pm September 28, 2015 Permalink

I lie on the internet to feel important. It’s the sad reality about my life

7. memphis
    12:52 pm September 28, 2015 Permalink

We should be celebrating a big win but instead we’re talking about Angry Boom. This is why we can’t have nice things.

• Booby Petrino
      1:13 pm September 28, 2015 Permalink

Pretty sure we can do both. It isn’t difficult.

8. Jay
    12:54 pm September 28, 2015 Permalink

Jojos a wrecking ball, and I too wonder why they haven’t utilized him more. But boom is smaller and probably able to make different plays. I don’t see it as one better than the other. You need them both.

• MC
      1:49 pm September 28, 2015 Permalink

Don’t you ever say JoJo just walked away

9. dylan
    12:56 pm September 28, 2015 Permalink

Very strange. I never took Boom for a selfish guy, but if he really left the field and didn’t celebrate with the team, it leads me to believe he may only be worried about the name on the back of the jersey.

I hate that, and hope it isn’t the case

10. sarah
    1:10 pm September 28, 2015 Permalink

Maybe he needed to study ever think of that? He is in school and maybe he wants a degree.

• john wall
      1:45 pm September 28, 2015 Permalink

That is not the issue here

11. skidcat
    1:11 pm September 28, 2015 Permalink

Booms dad was talking about how this was a team and not just boom at the CatWalk. That is very ironic.

12. Towles' Man Bun
    1:13 pm September 28, 2015 Permalink

A source very close to the program told me that Shannon Dawson stole Boom’s girlfriend and punched his dad in the jewels at Tolly Ho. Oh wait, nevermind…that was Lane Kiffin.

• jcatron
      1:16 pm September 28, 2015 Permalink

Ha!

13. bige
    1:22 pm September 28, 2015 Permalink

The reason Kemp was more effective has nothing to do with overall ability. IMO Williams is a better overall back than Kemp and I think this was evident in the Wildcat formation last year. Kemp’s initial burst makes the play more effective due to the line’s inability to keep a hole open.
    Kemp was more effective due to the handoffs taking too long between Towles and Williams and the inability for the line to keep the hole open or open one at all.
    Kemp’s start is faster than Williams so he hits the hole quicker and before it closes while making Towles move faster to give the handoff.
    UK’s running game will never be effective unless they get consistently faster on their handoff times, with any back, and can keep a hole open longer.

• inside info2
      1:44 pm September 28, 2015 Permalink

I’m glad you brought this up. I had forgotten about seeing that Saturday. It was my first live game (had bad seats, but still) and I noticed that too. Also, Towels is still bad at making his reads and checking receivers. He had a couple of wide open guys he never saw in the first half and a few passes he did make were way too late. Still, all in all he improved obviously. And the fact that he was able to run, whether planned or not, helped the offense tremendously.

• DAC
      1:56 pm September 28, 2015 Permalink

Profound. Wish we had a running attack like UF or maybe Mississippi State, don’t you? http://secsports.go.com/statistics/football/team/rushing

• inside info2
      2:09 pm September 28, 2015 Permalink

DAC, not sure what you are trying to imply here. We are closer to UF and Miss State than we are UT or UGA.

14. wildcatchick95
    1:36 pm September 28, 2015 Permalink

Guess we will see come next Game, Hope Boom Keep his head up.

15. Plain Truth
    2:01 pm September 28, 2015 Permalink

The backs need not worry, they will be plenty to go around. If they are going to make a good run in this meat grinder of a conference, they will need Boom, Kemp, Horton and anybody else they can find to throw in there,

16. wildcatwilll
    2:18 pm September 28, 2015 Permalink

I still don’t understand how JoJo disappeared after the South Carolina game last year. It seems for some reason Chad Scott buries guys never to be seen again. Why can’t we have a three back attack? Horton has disappeared as well after a couple of strong showings. We have to much talent not to utilize all three guys strengths.

17. BlueRedneck
    2:20 pm September 28, 2015 Permalink

I think fans are getting all worked up over nothing. These are 19 and 20 year old kids. They are going to have ups and downs, and they are going to occasionally pout if things aren’t going their way. Some make it more obvious than others. I’m sure Stoops will sit down with boom and talk things out, and he will come back with a vengeance against EKU. This will all be forgotten two games from now.

• Joe
      2:36 pm September 28, 2015 Permalink

“Why on earth would he transfer? That is the most ridiculous thing I have heard all week.”

Well that isn’t saying much considering how the week just started..

• SCCat
      4:12 pm September 28, 2015 Permalink

I understood what Blue Redneck meant by his “ridiculous thing i’ve heard” comment, but props to Joe – that’s funny

18. Just sayin
    2:23 pm September 28, 2015 Permalink

UK can’t even have a win without having issues. That is troublesome.

Communication. It’s a huge problem with these coaches. They don’t get it, some kids are treated like Kings, others like pond scum.

• RealCatsFan
      2:35 pm September 28, 2015 Permalink

Glad your boys finally got their first win against (Fred) Samford. Congratulations. Now isn’t it time to go back to Card Chronicle to celebrate that impressive victory?

I heard Bobby P is great at communicating. As long as it is a hot blonde volleyball player.

19. FAT KID IN EAST KY
    2:35 pm September 28, 2015 Permalink

WOW! I checked DAC Link and noticed our D is ranked 6th in SEC and our Scoring is 6th in spite of being 10th in receiving / rushing and total offense – that is a very good sign for efficiency

20. jeff
    2:37 pm September 28, 2015 Permalink

MM obviously needs to worry about who HIS team will play at qb against NC St to avoid starting 1-4, lol…… Boom transferring? Not likely mid season. What would be the point? Gotta love “lil bro”!

21. 8 god
    3:00 pm September 28, 2015 Permalink

You know who would be a killer running back….

Drew Barker! Put him in there coach, fans deserve to see him!

• 8 god
      3:02 pm September 28, 2015 Permalink

No but really, I liked that thing they did when they sent Timmons in motion into the backfield and handed it off to him. He went to my rival high school, and most of his yards came from handoffs. May have questionable hands, but the guy is elusive.

• Reese
      7:28 pm September 28, 2015 Permalink

He’s talented and I feel a little bit bad for him. He’s dropped a couple of passes over the course of his career but they need to give him a shot. I don’t know what goes on in practice, but are Garret Johson, Dorian Baker, Jeff Badget, etc. really better than him to the point where he gets close to zero reps? He is talented, I’d give him a lot of reps against EKU to see if he can go out there and hang on it.

22. MustangCat
    3:32 pm September 28, 2015 Permalink

I thought Boom looked a little gimpy before they pulled him?! If he is flexing his pout a little, he may be looking over his shoulder at King. If he pouts too much, and winds up giving King 5-10 carries soon?! He may have more to worry about than JoJo…..

• SCCat
      4:15 pm September 28, 2015 Permalink

Really? Look – Boom Williams is the best backfield talent we have, bar none. If he starts to lose carries for any reason I think it’s a mistake.

Disclaimer – if he loses carries for any reason football related – not intangibles like attitude or work ethic.

BUT – I think we’ll find next week all the RB’s getting theirs.

23. Scarsnbars
    3:42 pm September 28, 2015 Permalink

Here we go again. The BBN and a few trolls throwing around conjecture without any facts. Why don’t you people break it up, and move along, and let Stoops coach his team. Boom may have been pissed after the game that Jojo got all the carries, but if he doesn’t like it all he has to do is outwork him in practice, and get better results in the games. I’m fairly certain Stoops will play who gives him the best chance to win.

24. JimTheChin
    3:49 pm September 28, 2015 Permalink

I sat close to boom’s dad at the game. The whole second half he was seated, not celebrating, seemingly visibly agitated.

25. Booms dad
    4:07 pm September 28, 2015 Permalink

My boy is ok. Just has a case of the butt hurt going on. He will bounce back until King starts carrying the ball, then he is in trouble.

• SCCat
      4:16 pm September 28, 2015 Permalink

silly – you think King is better than Boom? as they say on ESPN, “C’mon Man”

26. UKfanNKY
    4:29 pm September 28, 2015 Permalink

Yeah I’m sure Boom & his Dad are butt hurt but come on…………………….Realy? Boom you know Jojo was getting it done Saturday! There is still plenty of football for ALL THREE BACKS!!! There is a reason for back up players because everyone has bad games or someone maybe getting it done and the other not. So get over yourself and be a TEAM PLAYER!!!! How the hell you think Jojo feels hell he carried the TEAM last yr. against SC and hardly saw the field after that game.

Get your head up and play as a TEAM and Daddy Boom the BBN loves your passion, you and your Son but let the Coaches Coach!!!

GO CATS!!!!

27. BC cat fan
    5:50 pm September 28, 2015 Permalink

Need to play Charles Walker more. Kid is fast, hustles and can block. and CAN catch the ball

28. Dallas Cat Fan
    6:29 pm September 28, 2015 Permalink

All dads are disappointed when their kids aren’t playing. I don’t know Boom or his dad but this is probably not a big deal.

29. Just Say'n
    7:42 pm September 28, 2015 Permalink

If I remember correctly, Boom did fumble once and got it back Sat, perhaps that had something to do with it. I also saw him limping a little after that as well. Either way, it’s no reason to pout and not be a part of the TEAM celebrating after a win.