Stoops: “We missed more tackles than I can remember”

If you’re looking for reason number one Kentucky lost to Georgia, Mark Stoops has it: missed tackles. Stoops lamented about the number of errors by his defense multiple times throughout the postgame press conference.

“This one hurts,” Stoops said. “Really have to give credit to Georgia; they beat us in all phases. We’ll learn a lot from this. We did not execute at times, at times we got outmanned. We missed more tackles than I can remember.”

Georgia had 331 rushing yards to Kentucky’s 84, the key stat of the night. The Cats are normally great against the run, but had no answer for D’Andre Swift (156 rushing yards, 2 touchdowns) and Elijah Holyfield (115 rushing yards, 1 touchdown). What is it about Georgia running backs?

“If they rush for 300-plus yards, you’re not going to win very many games,” Stoops said. “There’s a lot of things we can do better and again, a lot of that has to do with them. That’s why they do that to a lot of people. What they do is complicated and it’s difficult to defend with athletes that they have in space. We’ll get better. Our team will get back on track.”

Many people are asking if the moment was too big for Kentucky today; Stoops said he liked his team’s preparation but not their execution.

“I don’t know. I think our team, all week had great preparation. We stayed in our routine. Against a very, very good team like that, have to execute and be extremely precise along with being athletic and physical and all the things they do and they have. They have explosive guys on both sides of the line of scrimmage. You have to play better.”

Beat Tennessee.

[mobile_ad]

47 Comments for Stoops: “We missed more tackles than I can remember”

1. Bigblue7982
    7:27 pm November 3, 2018 Permalink

Defense sucked today.

2. big cat
    7:29 pm November 3, 2018 Permalink

Defense is tired folks. Can’t blame them. They are banged up….offense needs to help them by extending more drives.

• CombatMedic_98
      7:44 pm November 3, 2018 Permalink

Get a new QB we will be great!!!

• 4everUKblue
      7:53 pm November 3, 2018 Permalink

Sure wish slater had a brain, we all know he doesn’t like Terry because of his race.

• CombatMedic_98
      9:52 pm November 3, 2018 Permalink

It’s sad that you would use someone’s skin color to slander others. It shows your ignorance and stupidity. Sad human being right here folks…I hope You get banned from KSR for slanderous race-baiting statements…you are a tool!

• 4ever, don’t go there. I don’t recall him mentioning race before.

However, Combat, Terry wasn’t playing defense. Does he need improvement? Yes, of course, but Gunnar has had one decent series and done nothing else.

• Big Cat, good point. I think losing Ware, Paschel, and Young have finally taken a toll.

• JASUN74
      1:21 pm November 4, 2018 Permalink

It would’ve been nice to have some more guys but this is the team we played with today and all year. We have one of the best top ten , maybe top five defenses in the whole country. Georgia has a top ten recruit / player at ever position and would’ve been two or three without a let down loss that won’t happen again this year. They will lose to Alabama but it would take an ALL SEC ALL STAR TEAM to beat those guys. Lol. Georgia will give Alabama a tough fought game because they are that good. Saying all that , I was excited all damn week and still am about our team. WE ARE THE THIRD OR FOURTH BEST TEAM IN THE ENTIRE SEC!!!! The ONLY DAMN REASON we got beat yesterday is because our two guys in the middle that had casts that looked like they weighed fifty pounds. I’m not blaming those two as they were asked to play one handed. but the backups should have played more is my opinion and we win. Still if those two have both hands then we win!!! All the other little things with the QB and play calling should have 100% been better by this time of year but even with it AS IS we are a great team. Put backups in the damn game that actually are good players and actually have BOTH OF THEIR HAND TO TACKLE and you win the SEC EAST!!! Period, 100%, game over, no question asked!!!! That the coaches.. Even still they stuck with the one handers,. Why I have no idea. I’m sure they thought they would get the next on or something. Hahahah. After two big one handed grab attempted tackles that went for touchdowns., well you have put us way behind. I will never get over how easy we will win this game with that small change. Anyway we still have that best young men on our team and I wouldn’t trade this experience for anything in the world. This is not a slight at Kash and Jordan at all because they shouldn’t have even been playing against Georgia. Kash at Missouri was ok but still about lost the game because of not being about to tackle guys.

3. tdub
    7:29 pm November 3, 2018 Permalink

Beat the vols

4. big cat
    7:31 pm November 3, 2018 Permalink

We are GA or AL…..yet. Those teams have way more talent and depth. We have improved….let’s beat UT.

5. 4everUKblue
    7:31 pm November 3, 2018 Permalink

I’m not going to criticize this group of young men, they’ve made great strides this season.

6. big cat
    7:31 pm November 3, 2018 Permalink

*aren’t

7. big cat
    7:35 pm November 3, 2018 Permalink

Let’s STOP evaluating this loss and focus on getting ready for TN….geez.

• ukkatzfan
      7:53 pm November 3, 2018 Permalink

2 comments ago you were evaluating…. you are a funny fickle fan.

• 4everUKblue
      7:53 pm November 3, 2018 Permalink

Excellent suggestion big cat.

8. oruacat2
    7:35 pm November 3, 2018 Permalink

I couldn’t watch the game, and in now way is this a criticism of anyone, but how many of those missed tackles were by our two injured MLBs? I know Kash struggled with that “club” last week – did UGA run right at those two guys today?

• makeitstop
      7:43 pm November 3, 2018 Permalink

They missed some but Edwards whiffed a TD and West and pretty much everyone but Josh.

• zoupman
      9:52 am November 4, 2018 Permalink

Probably shouldn’t play two guys that so much that each only have one useable hand. I would play them sparingly, until they heal. UT will be a challenge, but last two games should be a cake walk putting Cats in a big bowl game.
      Unfortunately, we will probably loss that game because a Gran coached offense is very easy to prepare for.
      Leaving us 10-3 or 9-4 depending on outcome of UT game. Great season.

9. Wade
    7:36 pm November 3, 2018 Permalink

It was too big. We played small. Did nothing well.

10. dcforuk
    7:43 pm November 3, 2018 Permalink

My 14 year-old son was walking around angry and very upset. I shared that it is ok to be disappointed and shared that I was disappointed, too. But, I shared that it’s not ok to be unreasonably angry at something he has zero influence. Tough to balance out John Wooden’s “Emotion is your enemy” and a certain college basketball coach saying “I define passion as extreme emotion.”

• Wade
      8:01 pm November 3, 2018 Permalink

Lose and learn! Can’t self destruct!

11. makeitstop
    7:45 pm November 3, 2018 Permalink

We have the talent to win out but we won’t if we can’t fix the passing game. U know my thesis: if Gran thinks he can’t make a read and hit a receiver and the defense thinks he can’t so stacks the box either they’re all wrong and Nick is right or Nick is wrong and then DCs and our coaches are right.

• ukkatzfan
      7:55 pm November 3, 2018 Permalink

Easy for you to say. Appropriate name ?

• 4everUKblue
      7:59 pm November 3, 2018 Permalink

We have so many so called fans on here that are so much smarter than any of our coaches or players. I suggest any of you critics who have a legitimate coaching resume, submit it to Barnhart. Maybe he will recognize your genius coaching acumen.

• makeitstop
      9:02 pm November 3, 2018 Permalink

See that’s my point – the DCs think we cannot throw or they wouldn’t stack the box; our OC thinks we can’t or we would. So I’m not second guessing them, I’m agreeing. Follow me?

12. dcforuk
    7:46 pm November 3, 2018 Permalink

Georgia has a very strong running game. Grieve a couple of days, tip your cap and move on and work to finish an incredible 10-2!

• ukkatzfan
      7:56 pm November 3, 2018 Permalink

Yes yes yes !!!

• 4everUKblue
      8:01 pm November 3, 2018 Permalink

That’s what any mature intelligent fan would do. I’m with you dcforuk.

• CombatMedic_98
      12:10 am November 4, 2018 Permalink

Don’t forget to wash Terry’s Towels tonight…!

• ScoggDog
      8:01 pm November 3, 2018 Permalink

Agree in the strongest terms.

I get a gut-full of the “Must Be Positive Or Go Away” crowd around here. But – at the same time – this loss today was not the end of the world. Wilson looked fine – he’s going to look really good in a year or so. Defense did not play their best … can I tell you a secret ? I don’t always play my best either.

Regroup – beat Tennessee next week – finish 6-2 in the SEC – then beat the crap out of the rest of the schedule and go to a New Year’s Day Bowl.

Are there problems ? Yes. But I’m cool with putting the criticism where it’s deserved …. yet still really happy at 7-2, with a chance to win the next three.

13. Luether
    7:57 pm November 3, 2018 Permalink

At its core, Football is a game of blocking and tackling. Today, the team that did that best won. Just have to NOT let it affect the Tenn game…

14. dUKesUKs
    8:03 pm November 3, 2018 Permalink

Outclassed and Asswhooped!!! Once again we reach into the UK football excuse box and all we can come with is the same ole BS…..we have been 7-1 before. Our NO#1 Defense just got humbled! Our offense is a joke with the exception of BSJ and LB. We have no QB and no OC. I care not what you come back with. The truth hurts. But it will set you free!

15. zoupman
    8:12 pm November 3, 2018 Permalink

Let’s just win last 3. Ga. was the better team. Gunner should have played.

16. big cat

17. philbo
    9:04 pm November 3, 2018 Permalink

Terry 23/29 79% 226 yards
    Fromm 14/20 70% 113 yards

Terry 9th game in sec
    Fromm 23rd, including title game

I hate it when facts get in the way of an illogical point of view!

The kid was running for his life on many plays. Hate less, live longer.

• makeitstop
      9:31 pm November 3, 2018 Permalink

Yards don’t win games, points do. One TD per game doesn’t win games. 5 yard passes when u need 10 doesn’t win games. D’s don’t respect our passing ability so what we think isn’t real important.

• Wade
      11:23 am November 4, 2018 Permalink

Lots of crap yards

• CombatMedic_98
      9:58 pm November 3, 2018 Permalink

Right: 226 yards to the left and right at <10 yards down field…equals LOSS! The announcers should coach or have a line to call down to Stoops and his OC because the last few games they’ve stated: gotta throw past the chains to win GAMES.

• philbo
      10:18 pm November 3, 2018 Permalink

I guess we’re in agreement. He averaged 10 yards per completion today. So Maybe there’s another reason we lost. Let’s blame someone else. Or maybe give credit to the better team. Just a thought.

• zoupman
      9:44 am November 4, 2018 Permalink

Terry holds the ball too long. He is doing best he can, but I feel if Gunner had started last nine games and had all the first team reps he would be further along than Terry.
      Westry doesn’t even try to tackle.
      Still it’s exciting to know we have a chance to be 10-2.

18. philbo
    9:39 pm November 3, 2018 Permalink

He averaged 10 yards per pass. I do agree with you “what we think isn’t real important”

19. kjd
    11:53 pm November 3, 2018 Permalink

Georgia is just flat out better than we are.
    Next…..beat the Vols!!