Stoops was asked if Chris Rodriguez is the No. 1 back moving forward

Chet White | UK Athletics

Is Chris Rodriguez the No. 1 running back now?

Michael Bennett asked Mark Stoops that very question in the postgame press conference after Rodriguez rushed for over 100 yards against a Georgia defense that holds opponents to 65 rushing yards per game.

Stoops said, “I think you guys put more stock in that than we do. He got more reps today because he was running well and it’s been that way. It’s hard keeping him out of there, Michael. He’s a very good player and he’s doing some really good things.

“As I’ve said before, they have different strengths and A.J. (Rose) is a guy that we need big play capability as well, Stoops continued. “So A.J. has created, through the years, some explosive runs so we need to continue to work both guys.”

KSR’s Adam Luckett notes Rodriguez finished with a 60 percent success rate on the ground against the Dawgs in the losing effort.

That’s a No. 1 running back day, no?

Article written by Drew Franklin

9 Comments for Stoops was asked if Chris Rodriguez is the No. 1 back moving forward

1. zoupman
    5:06 pm October 31, 2020 Permalink

C-Rod ran hard. Very hard. Impressive.
    I do wish he would block with same passion.

2. blueballs80
    5:12 pm October 31, 2020 Permalink

Stoops is blind or chooses to be. CRod is your back you can build of play action passes. You’re not going to get that with Rose.

• claiborne_field
      5:50 pm October 31, 2020 Permalink

This

3. runningunnin.454
    5:28 pm October 31, 2020 Permalink

Did anyone ask, “Why does the UK coaching staff have yellow streaks 15 cm wide?”
    It’s a shame that guys that play their hearts out don’t get the chance to go for the win.

4. claiborne_field
    5:47 pm October 31, 2020 Permalink

There is something going on there. I just don’t get it. Rose has brought nothing, especially in the last three games, and yet there’s this unshakable loyalty to ensure he gets reps. Poor coaching.

5. claiborne_field
    5:49 pm October 31, 2020 Permalink

I also don’t like stoops answer to the question. We put stock in obvious results. I would think (and hope) our coaching staff would do the same.

6. Realme
    6:15 pm October 31, 2020 Permalink

Stoops’ loyalty (to Rose over better rbs, to Gran who is damn lucky he had Benny and Lynn) is starting to feel like a negative quality to me.

• 4everUKBlue
      6:30 pm October 31, 2020 Permalink

Agreed, I’ve defended him all this time, but this season I’m having a hard time defending him.

7. Bluehender
    7:07 pm October 31, 2020 Permalink

So someone answer me this..who is running the offense? Does Gran have free reins to do what he wants? Or is he under the thumb of the defensive minded Stoops? Someone has to be responsible for the play calling. Or lack thereof. We had a momentum swinging defensive play near the end of the first half. And a momentum killing conservative series of play calling, following. Why not throw a deep one there? Or try to move it down the field and at least get 3 before halftime. We all knew that Georgia was going to march down the field and score coming out to start the second half.