Stoops to his team on Saturday’s rumors: “I’m never gonna flinch”

Photo by UK Athletics

Photo by UK Athletics

Photo by UK Athletics

Saturday was a wild day around the football program for a number of reasons, namely the unfounded rumors about Mark Stoops that spread like wildfire in the fan base. The rumors dominated conversations at the game and on social media, popping up on message boards, now defunct blogs, and Twitter, making it nearly impossible to focus on the game itself. For fans, that is. During today’s press conference, Mark Stoops did not address the rumors directly, but said he was proud of the way his team was able to focus despite all of the distractions.

“I was proud of the team and proud of their focus and the way they executed this past week. You know, when the season doesn’t start the way you want it to, there’s going to be a lot of outside noise and distraction. I was very proud of the team and coaching staff for focusing in on the task at hand. We know who we are and what we’re capable of, and putting our heads down and going to work. I was proud of the outcome.”

After the game, several players said they wanted to win the game for Stoops, support which he says he appreciates. He used the unfortunate situation as a teachable moment, telling his players in the locker room afterwards to never flinch amid distractions.

“I love and respect those players, as they do me. We know what goes on in our locker room. I told them, ‘Don’t ever worry about me. I’m never gonna flinch.’ And they can’t either.

Later on, Stoops was asked what he thought of Les Miles’ termination at LSU. After expressing his disappointment over his friend’s firing, Stoops delivered this comment, which is rich with double meaning.

“News travels fast on social media, I hear.”

Unfortunately, it does.

31 Comments for Stoops to his team on Saturday’s rumors: “I’m never gonna flinch”

1. cjruk1
    1:57 pm September 26, 2016 Permalink

So apparently I’m out of the loop here. What was the rumor?

• The REAL Billy Hill
      2:02 pm September 26, 2016 Permalink

Justin Rowland ‏@RowlandRIVALS Sep 25
      Based on every conversation I’ve had with every source I trust there is no truth to any of the rumors that were so widely circulated.

• The REAL Billy Hill
      2:03 pm September 26, 2016 Permalink

This is all that really matters….

• Mathlete
      2:04 pm September 26, 2016 Permalink

There were a bunch of ridiculous rumors floating around, probably none of them true –
      – that his family had moved back to FL
      – that he had a 24 year old Lexington Catholic alum who was his mistress on the payroll
      – that he had moved his mistress into his house and kicked his wife out and that they had been spotted around town in multiple places
      – that he had knocked up a UK student

Basically doing anything they could to paint him in a light usually reserved for Bobby Petrino.

2. RealCatsFan
    2:10 pm September 26, 2016 Permalink

I would love to see UK going after the person (s) starting and perpetuating the rumors and slap them with a libel lawsuit. That would put an end to crap like this.

3. secrick
    2:11 pm September 26, 2016 Permalink

Stoops is the man. We can complain all we want about him but this guy knows what he is doing and is a good person and needs next year to prove he can do it.

4. Sentient Third Eye
    2:23 pm September 26, 2016 Permalink

UK fandom is so intense that instead of “six degrees of separation”, we have about TWO degrees across the entire state. False rumors can spread at lightning speed. Billy Donovan is a done deal.

• Mathlete
      2:28 pm September 26, 2016 Permalink

Jon Gruden is shopping for horse farms in Versailles

5. ukisgr8
    2:52 pm September 26, 2016 Permalink

I must have missed the rumors. The only thing I’ve seen was a piece from Yahoo that said UK was probably going to come up with the $18 million for the buyout. That’s doubtful for football but frankly, I’m not sure I’m comfortable with the guy who gave Stoops such a stupid contract and then extension to be the one doing the firing and new hiring. Stoops is clearly a great guy and by all accounts prior to UK, used to be a great DC, but man, the dude is a poor head coach. He’s the only person in america that would hire Chip Kelly and make him run a conservative offense. Just too bizarre.

6. r-mel
    3:04 pm September 26, 2016 Permalink

UK football is not a short term project it is long term and stoops deserves the time it will take to get this program to the point we reach bowl eligibility each year. He will do that if given the chance.

• secrick
      3:25 pm September 26, 2016 Permalink

• RealCatsFan
      3:34 pm September 26, 2016 Permalink

Hope you guys are right. The USC win was a step in the right direction, albeit a small step. I just really thought we would be starting to turn the corner in year four. Louisville being on top of the world adds that much more pressure to Stoops. With Big Blue Madness starting this week, the football team would have completely lost the fan support if they had lost Saturday.

• cats paw
      3:39 pm September 26, 2016 Permalink

your knowledge of a football program is the only long term project here. Much like UK football, one that will never be fully realized! tell me what changes if we were to ever make it to a bowl? we are still the same pathetic program with one more win over a scrub team. funny how UL can become a national power in two yrs but UK is a “long term project”?

• The REAL Billy Hill
      4:13 pm September 26, 2016 Permalink

Well thats because Louisville plays in shit conferences. Dumbass.

• The REAL Billy Hill
      4:18 pm September 26, 2016 Permalink

I thought everyone knew that? 🤔

• catdaddyd
      4:42 pm September 26, 2016 Permalink

Yeah, Clemson and FSU are shit.

• The REAL Billy Hill
      5:10 pm September 26, 2016 Permalink

I think we can agree FSU is…. They’ve been overrated for a while now…

That leaves one other team.

Meanwhile, in the AAC, BigEast, CUSA, Metro, Missouri Valley…….

• Catsby80
      7:13 pm September 26, 2016 Permalink

I’m not some ACC & FSU apologist, but “overrated for a while now”? come on man. You’re the one who sounds like a dumbass with a comment like that. They just won the national championship 3 years ago.

7. Kyblue34
    4:01 pm September 26, 2016 Permalink

So he didn’t actually deny the rumors?

• The REAL Billy Hill
      4:17 pm September 26, 2016 Permalink

Nice try.

Justin Rowland ‏@RowlandRIVALS Sep 25

• Kyblue34
      4:55 pm September 26, 2016 Permalink

Then why was Rowland scared to death to even talk about it on Friday evening and Saturday before the game. Rowland even gave the impression that Stoops was likely gone, and then only after we won did he backtrack and tweet that the rumors were false. I don’t buy it. Way too much smoke for all of these rumors to be false.

8. katmandue2you
    4:58 pm September 26, 2016 Permalink

I normally don’t waste my time on stuff like this. First off, Tyler I’ve read your condemnations and put downs of the UK football situation for the past three weeks. Same with Matt Jones. Now all of a sudden the wind blows a different direction and the change is amazing. So my question to you is…how are we as readers to respect anybody’s comments regarding football from a writer that refers to “plays” as “possessions” (see your comments regarding Benny Snells carrying the ball on 9 straight possessions from an earlier article). I’m sure any Bama fan reading your stuff would get a good laugh from the writers at the basketball school who don’t know a play from a possession in the game of football. And if you know the difference but mis-spoke (typed) then what does that say about you and KSR as a media for written information? You see the reason for my “attitude” is that we true football fans know that KSR is really just a basketball sight that was dragged kicking and screaming to a point of delivering more a somewhat more balanced coverage of UK football. Matt didn’t know shit from apple butter about football until the excitement Stoops generated 4 years ago forced him to make a bigger commitment to UK football. So when I read all the doomsday crap ya’ll been spewing and thus filling the fandom with over the past 3 weeks I find it completely devoid of legitimacy and in reality reveals your lack of real perspective on football in general and UK football in particular. I say this with the understanding that UK football could flop over the balance of the season or they could do something positive that few can fathom. That is why they play the freaking games. And it is the understanding that no one truly knows what the future holds, that makes KSR and you and Matt Jones so culpable for taking the disposition you have towards our football program. But I will say this….it holds you true to the concept of covering UK football in the most ridiculous manner possible. It’s kinda like my buddy from west Kentucky said two summers ago…”we got 80 guys on a football team and Willy Cauley Stein is out of the program and he cant take a shit without KSR telling us about it and we get no good in-depth football coverage”. So shame on KSR and you guys for a 100% doom and gloom from a bunch of people that need to be careful when they pass the apple butter at the breakfast table!

• Mrs. Tyler Thompson
      5:11 pm September 26, 2016 Permalink

Typos happen when you write over 10,000 words a day. They just do. Also, for someone so wrapped up in specifics, KSR is a “site,” not a “sight.”

Finally, it speaks to the ignorance of some that even after we’ve added Nick Roush and Freddie Maggard, you’re STILL complaining that KSR doesn’t have enough football coverage. To use your words, I normally don’t waste my time on stuff like this, but Freddie and Nick work very, very hard, and your “KSR only writes about basketball” argument is not only false, it’s insulting.

• katmandue2you
      6:01 pm September 26, 2016 Permalink

Tyler, my main point (which you didn’t even address or acknowledge) is that KSR and particularly you and Matt basically threw UK football under the bus. I’m 58 years old a graduate of UK and a holder of 4 season tickets for over 30 years now. So if anyone has a reason to throw UK football under the bus or slam them, I feel I do. BUT I CHOOSE NOT TO. It upsets me that KSR has to the degree it has because BBN takes it lead from you guys or you certainly feed fuel to the fire with your place within our fanbase. I’m well aware of Freddie and Nick’s contributions and I do appreciate and enjoy them. However, you kinda make my case for me by pointing them out. I wasn’t complaining that you don’t have enough coverage, I was pointing out that you certainly used to not have enough coverage and really kinda got forced to have more coverage with the excitement that came with the onset of the Stoops era. My tone was also influenced by commentary I’ve heard over the years from KSR that shows just how lacking in football acumen the sight has been historically. So yeah….when I see you calling plays “possessions” its frustrating cause it feeds the sterotype that we know nothing and care nothing of football at UK. And my bad at the short”sitedness” on the use of sight versus site, but hey I had to give you something to rail at me about!!! A little constructive criticism is good I guess. I’m thinking I must’ve been somewhat “point on” if your defensiveness is any indication. We got 7 more games. I choose to support my team and see how those games play out since I really don’t know what the future holds. Throw me in the foxhole with Chester. PS nice post on all our former basketballers in d-league etc…..lol…I had to I just had to say that!

• The REAL Billy Hill
      6:17 pm September 26, 2016 Permalink

Wow. What a turd….

• UKBlueGreen
      6:22 pm September 26, 2016 Permalink

“Wow. What a turd….”

Coming from the horse’s ass.

• UK Big Board Update
      6:45 pm September 26, 2016 Permalink

You’re just mad I call your dumb shit out, too.

• UK Big Board Update
      6:48 pm September 26, 2016 Permalink

“Cal ain’t worth no $10 million”…. YOU said that.

• runningunnin.454
      7:03 pm September 26, 2016 Permalink

The beauty in any form of writing is thrift. Katmandoodoo is a rambling, verbose knucklehead, and I have wasted two minutes reading his tripe.
      Visiting this site is optional; he should leave it to us that enjoy it.

• UKBlueGreen
      7:18 pm September 26, 2016 Permalink

“Cal ain’t worth no $10 million”…. YOU said that

Yes I said that. Calling me out for what?