Stoops supports Towles’ decision to transfer, believes he can play in NFL

Dylan Beul | Getty Images

Mark Stoops told KSR this is now Drew Barker’s football team and he is excited to begin the Barker era of Kentucky football.

But parting ways with Patrick Towles wasn’t easy.

“We love Patrick,” Stoops said this morning. “You know I’ve been very supportive of him. He’s been good to us. We both wish it was a little bit different — it’s not — so I completely understand and supported Patrick when he came in and talked to me about moving on.”

“It would be very hard for him, after he’s given everything, his heart and soul, to sit here and back up Drew. He has an extra year left. He can go somewhere and I still believe he can play on Sundays. I’ve said that all along; that I thought he had a big time arm.

Stoops called it a mutual split and said he wants nothing but the best for Towles at his next stop.

“I think it’s best for our program the way it went; even though, selfishly, I don’t want him to leave. I’d love to have him sitting there at backup, but I understand.”

Article written by Drew Franklin

16 Comments for Stoops supports Towles’ decision to transfer, believes he can play in NFL

1. secrick
    12:20 pm December 16, 2015 Permalink

Just think a kid good enough to play in the nfl and couldn’t keep the starting job at KY, we must be a very good football team and have a great quarterback.

2. wildcat502
    12:23 pm December 16, 2015 Permalink

If I`m reading this correctly, Barker was the better quarterback this past season, but they gave Towles every opportunity to prove himself because he was the upper classmen. He was told Barker was the 2016 starter, so he left.

3. Gitback Coach
    12:34 pm December 16, 2015 Permalink

If a team has two relatively equal players at the same position, one a senior and the other an underclassman, the younger guy should usually get the nod . . . especially if the team is still building for the future.

To that end, I agree with the coaching decision, but I hate to see Towles leave.

4. Howdy Doody
    12:36 pm December 16, 2015 Permalink

And Stoops believes he can coach in the SEC…..
    OK…

• UK Big Board Update
      4:36 pm December 16, 2015 Permalink

TROLL

5. Glenn Fohr
    12:39 pm December 16, 2015 Permalink

Wrong player is transferring. Yes, he made mistakes, but Barker does not have the physical tools that could have been put to better use. Brown was frustrating but he did put Towles in a better position to be successful as compared to Dawson. The huge games against Florida, Miss St, and Tenn Martin were not aberrations. This kid can play. Now he will go some where and play himself into a spot on an NFL roster. I think we are in trouble at the qb spot next year.

6. Glenn Fohr
    2:08 pm December 16, 2015 Permalink

Just don’t think Barker has the same skill set as Towles. Much weaker arm. I’m hoping his decision making is better. Barker’s release is just as slow as Towles and his windup starts and his belly when it should be below his chin. Maybe he can surprise me like Hartline did. Hoping for the best….

7. BobNWeaver
    2:22 pm December 16, 2015 Permalink

Most teams makes 3 or fewer deep throws a game, but about 30 short to midrange throws. Accuracy is key on those throws. Here’s hoping that Barker can get great at the short stuff and good enough on the occasional deep throw.

8. Biglaw Dawgin'
    4:52 pm December 16, 2015 Permalink

Sitting out for a year will probably be the best thing to happen to him. An entire extra year to practice and get better with Duke’s QB coach who helped groom both Peyton and Eli? That will be huge. Including his redshirt year, that will give him 6 years of working with college coaches on becoming a better QB. At a position where experience is the #1 factor of how NFL ready you are, this is not a bad move at all.

• J-Dub421
      5:24 pm December 16, 2015 Permalink

Towles will be a graduate transfer. He will not have to sit out a year, and will be available to play immediately.

• UK Big Board Update
      5:59 pm December 16, 2015 Permalink

We have very knowledgeable fans when it comes to football….

• Rob
      7:08 pm December 16, 2015 Permalink

^^From the looks of things, about as knowledgeable as our team and staff..

9. Rsn2GoBlu
    6:54 pm December 16, 2015 Permalink

So our NFL caliber QB was told he will be the backup to Barker next year? Seriously?? I hope Towles last words to Stoops were “Are you stupid or something?”.

• UK Big Board Update
      8:01 pm December 16, 2015 Permalink

Stoops probably replied: “Its what our redneck fans kept crying for all season… Sorry, bro.”

• BluKudzu
      9:04 am December 17, 2015 Permalink

Shows the caliber of coach we have then, right? Obviously bowing down and listening to redneck fans that know zero about football, should tell you a lot about the skill sets of this coach and his staff. Or were you just trolling?

• UK Big Board Update
      3:45 pm December 17, 2015 Permalink

Nope. Making a valid point about redneck foot ball “experts”such as yourself. You’ve been one of the most vocal.