Stoops still not saying much about quarterback situation

We didn’t learn much more about Kentucky’s quarterback situation from Mark Stoops’ comments on Monday. The updated depth chart named Lynn Bowden or Sawyer Smith as QB1; other than that, the first day of Missouri week hasn’t provided any new insight.

In his opening remarks, Stoops simply said Kentucky will “look at the best options, all options to help us move the football and hopefully Sawyer will be back to near a hundred percent.”

He also said Kentucky’s situation, “is what it is,” a line he continues to repeat as his program continues to fight for wins despite multiple injuries at the quarterback position. “I come in here every Monday and I’m going to say it, it is what it is.”

Last week we heard Sawyer Smith was getting close — offensive coordinator Eddie Gran spoke of the “zip” back on Smith’s passing — but Stoops did not give the grad transfer a look down in Athens when Kentucky was desperate for a passing element in its offense.

Stoops said of that decision, “It’s tough on a cold, rainy, miserable night to put him in when he’s just there or getting close to getting ready to play. He would go. You saw him go in the South Carolina game. He would play if his arm is falling off. But I can’t do that to him again. It was a tough night and I knew it was going to be a tough grind, so we gave ourselves the best option we felt like we had at that point.”

Stoops concluded Monday’s press conference by saying he will eventually move Lynn Bowden back out to wide receiver. “When the time’s right, when we can get him back at receiver,” said Stoops. “We will welcome him back there as well, because he’s an impact guy, he runs well. We’ll see what direction the game plan goes with this week with who is playing quarterback.”

Article written by Drew Franklin

44 Comments for Stoops still not saying much about quarterback situation

1. Catcasey1
    6:02 pm October 21, 2019 Permalink

Stoops hasn’t developed a QB scene he’s been here and never will period

6:41 pm October 21, 2019 Permalink

I disagree. I believe Terry was gonna be a much better QB this year had he not got injured. And Stephen Johnson improved from year 1 to year 2.

• 4evrUKBlue
      7:05 pm October 21, 2019 Permalink

646 you are correct on both counts in my opinion. Casey has been negative in most if not all his comments lately.

8:21 pm October 21, 2019 Permalink

CatsCasey has been negative since my early days on this site. I remember one of my first posts ever was a damn novel defending Stoops because CatsCasey and Timewilltell we’re both bashing him and calling for his job. Nothing’s changed I see.

2. JDizzle14
    6:20 pm October 21, 2019 Permalink

Like i said yesterday, Sawyer Smith wont play another snap at KY. Stoops has found his QB, and thats who its gonna be. Bowden cant throw, but can run all that dumb running outta the shotgun, wildcat trick plays, and all the other anemic plays that r part of Stoops’ system. Hes got the exact guy hes looking for. He loves Bowden because he CANT throw. And thats who its gonna be the rest of the year, and next year when Wilson comes back, Smith will transfer, just like all the other QBs under Stoops who could throw the ball. Stoops might as well just recruit an extra WR or RB each yr to put at QB–idk why any QBs would wanna play for Stoops, because he clearly does not want anyone who can throw. That might stop that clock, and we cant have that. We might get a first down–cant have that. We might throw past the down marker–cant have that. We might not be behind the chains–cant have that.

6:46 pm October 21, 2019 Permalink

Wtf makes you think Bowden can’t throw? Was it that perfect touchdown pass he threw? Was it that dime long ball he threw to Wagner in the pouring rain that should’ve been either a catch or a PI? Was it the good pass to Rodriguez in the end zone on the run in the pouring rain that should’ve been a TD? Or the perfect ball for a big gain to Rigg? So let me know your answer.
      A)
      B)
      C)
      D)

• samodamo
      7:06 pm October 21, 2019 Permalink

Bowden can’t throw for a power 5 QB. The Td pass was actually in the wrong spot and if the d-back was paying attention it’s a pick 6. The dime to Wagner was actually way under thrown. And the pass to Rodriguez was way over his head. So I definitely don’t see what you see in him.

• JDizzle14
      7:06 pm October 21, 2019 Permalink

When i said that, i meant it as throwing is not his primary skill set if hes gonna be the QB. Not at all sayin he cant break off some good ones sometimes or not givin him credit for the ones he did. I just meant it as game-planning and strategy-wise, opposing coaches know his primary skill set will be his legs–overall its a one-dimensional offensive game plan with him and defenses dont have to work as hard to prepare cuz they know whats comin. I mean the passing stats speak for themselves. If he remains QB, opponents pretty much know whats comin–theres not much question what its gonna look like. Its on the coaches to mix things up for him and try to develop his skills, but these r the same play-calls we’ve seen under Stoops from the start with every QB. Ive nvr understood the running outta the shotgun, where the back gets the ball 3 yds behind the line of scrimmage and has to run 4 yds to get 1. Benny was the only one they could get by doin that with. To me, they should have guys like TW and LBJ up under center and let them roll out and have the option to run or pass. To me, that more so suits their skill sets and gives them a better chance to succeed. But Stoops sticks to his same script year after year no matter the personnel. He wont come off of it and is not willing to explore different things to maybe get more out of who he has. He wants them to execute just the same ol thing year after year. Thats all i meant by that–that he knows he can do even more of that with LBJ there cuz the primary threat there will be the running.

• 4evrUKBlue
      7:22 pm October 21, 2019 Permalink

Both the pass to Wagner and Rodriguez should have been caught. Rodriguez had to jump but the ball hit him in the hands, Wagner caught the ball in spite of the PI no call and dropped it. I guarantee you Bama, Oklahoma, and Clemson all have receivers that hang onto that ball. Oh and Sam must be BigolSlater’s new username.

• Southky
      8:48 pm October 21, 2019 Permalink

JDizzle14 you are not allowed to question Bowden at QB. cats746 and couple of his buddies have told me how stupid I was for ever questioning the QB situation. We are supposed to cheer and be happy about 100 passing yards COMBINED the last two games. Apparently they can pull your fan card for not agreeing with them on all football related issues. I dont know how I have made it through life without the wise council of some of these people. Apparently it shows your intelligence to call someone stupid for not agreeing with them. Who woulda thought it?

9:14 pm October 21, 2019 Permalink

Not saying you can’t questioj the QB situation. But for you to say Bowden can’t throw IS moronic. He’s thrown a couple bad balls yes, but he has thrown mostly good ones. It’s not his fault they weren’t caught. Had Wagner reeled in that long ball (which he should’ve) then Bowden would’ve had more passing yards in that game than Jake Fromm. Who is a damn good QB. Sorry but you’re just wrong. And if you really believe that he can’t throw then you are indeed stupid. I’m not saying he’s the best, but he absolutely can throw a good ball and the team rallies around him. That’s why he should be QB.

• Southky
      9:40 pm October 21, 2019 Permalink

cats646 Bowden is the most dangerous offensive weapon Kentucky has had since Randall Cobb. Putting him at QB takes away much of his ability to do his thing. He is incredible in open space and is very elusive. He probably is better suited to play tailback to run sweeps and plays where he can get the edge. Can you imagine him catching screens and quick hitters out of the backfield? No one is saying he isn’t a good football player. I, along with others believe he is being wasted at QB. The Cats simply must be able to throw the ball enough to keep defenses honest and Bowden needs to be out in space doing his thing.

9:48 pm October 21, 2019 Permalink

I fully agree he is better suited in space. But if we have no one to throw it to him then it won’t do any good. I think we should at least leave him at QB for the first half against Missouri, try throwing the ball some, and if it isn’t working then we go back to Sawyer. I just hope if we have to go back to him, he can throw a LOT better than the South Carolina game. One way or the other, I hope it works. Go cats!!

• 4everUKBlue
      8:38 am October 22, 2019 Permalink

I agree with you SouthKy except sam is saying he’s no good and he’s garbage, that shows he has a pee brain for sure. Everything else you said makes sense.

3. cats646
    6:48 pm October 21, 2019 Permalink

Bowden should get most of the snaps. There will be scenarios where Sawyer should come in. But Bowden is a warrior and absolutely CAN and HAS thrown good passes.
    COME SEE ABOUT IT!!!!!!!!

• 4evrUKBlue
      7:07 pm October 21, 2019 Permalink

No player has shown the heart and desire to win that Bowden has. And dang it you stole my thunder with the come see about it line (my favorite Bowden line). Hahaha

• samodamo
      7:08 pm October 21, 2019 Permalink

He’s garbage

• 4evrUKBlue
      7:19 pm October 21, 2019 Permalink

You are the garbage sam. Funny how people who get paid to recognize talent all say how good he is, but you, some bum from the sticks says he’s no good. You really should GFY!

• samodamo
      8:20 pm October 21, 2019 Permalink

Yep sure am. Lol. He’s over rated. He’s fast and can catch the easy balls can’t throw to save his life. He has dropped more than he has caught this year!! Look it up. Over rated!!!!

• mashburnfan1
      7:59 pm October 21, 2019 Permalink

But the way our offense struggles, I believe Gran play calling is the major issue, are we not better having Bowden returning punts and kicks. Especially against UGA our best chance to score was a P or K return for a TD and our best weapon for that was not used because he was playing QB.

8:13 pm October 21, 2019 Permalink

He should play QB and return kicks and punts. Why not

8:14 pm October 21, 2019 Permalink

Hey watch it 4ever!! I’m from the sticks. Lol

• 4evrUKBlue
      8:40 pm October 21, 2019 Permalink

So am I 646, pure country boy and even I can see how talented Bowden is but sam is no Kentucky fan but he is an idiot.

8:41 pm October 21, 2019 Permalink

I’ll drink to that brother!

• 4evrUKBlue
      8:42 pm October 21, 2019 Permalink

I agree I’d rather see him at receiver. Sam the idiot you better go back and look at who our biggest and most consistent playmaker is and it is Bowden.

• 4evrUKBlue
      8:44 pm October 21, 2019 Permalink

I’ve changed my mind, sam is DennyC or CodeRed or some other UoflittleBrothel fan, definitely not a KY fan.

• samodamo
      5:43 am October 22, 2019 Permalink

Your a stupid mfer!! I’ve been a ky football fan as long as I’ve been alive. Facts are facts. If he were on any other team he would barely see the field. You should actually watch the game, he cries all the time on the side line. He is a great athlete no doubt but he’s not a very good receiver and he’s definitely not a QB. Next game get his junk out of your mouth so you can see how he really is!!!

• 4evrUKBlue
      8:47 pm October 21, 2019 Permalink

646, my hometown is 1200 pop but I was raised on a farm a few miles from town so going to town was a big deal even though there was nothing going on. Lol.

9:17 pm October 21, 2019 Permalink

Hell yea 4ever. Getting to hang out in the save-a-lot parking lot used to be the highlight of my week back in my wild days. Lol

9:21 pm October 21, 2019 Permalink

Sam you do realize you’re saying that the guy who in his first game ever at qb in college won the Peyton Manning QB of the week award can’t throw to save his life right? lol. Idk if he’s a UofL fan 4ever but one thing is for sure. He’s a moron.

• 4evrUKBlue
      9:21 pm October 21, 2019 Permalink

I can relate 646, bootlegger parked on the town square with a note in his window saying I’ll be right back. Lol.

• 4evrUKBlue
      9:22 pm October 21, 2019 Permalink

I think it’s hopeless trying to get through to that [email protected] A total waste of time.

9:51 pm October 21, 2019 Permalink

Haha, I still have to go to a bootlegger unless I wanna make a 45 minute drive for something better than moonshine, early times, or Busch light lol

• 4everUKBlue
      10:26 pm October 21, 2019 Permalink

Can you believe a town like my hometown went wet after all these years? It’s so weird walking into the IGA and seeing a beer cooler. Bootleggers are pissed!

5:27 am October 22, 2019 Permalink

Lol I honestly can’t believe my town isn’t wet yet. But I’m not complaining, I love some good ole moonshine.

• 4everUKBlue
      10:04 am October 22, 2019 Permalink

Sorry Sam, I won’t waste my time arguing with your [email protected], you obviously don’t know sh!t about football or maybe you’ve been into some of 646’s shine.

• 4everUKBlue
      10:14 am October 22, 2019 Permalink

Sam I don’t know if you’ve ever sucked one but I guarantee you’ve had one in your mouth.

• samodamo
      11:10 am October 22, 2019 Permalink

??????

• 4everUKBlue
      2:41 pm October 22, 2019 Permalink

a d!ck you dumb sh!t.

• samodamo
      5:19 pm October 22, 2019 Permalink

No i didn’t send questions marks, I was flipping you the bird you fuc$ tard. Little pussies like you can be tough online. Internet gangster. POS

4. 4everUKBlue
    9:46 pm October 21, 2019 Permalink

Am I back?

• 4everUKBlue
      9:47 pm October 21, 2019 Permalink

Hell yes I got my old name back!!!

9:49 pm October 21, 2019 Permalink

Congrats man. You’re officially out of KSJail lol.

• 4everUKBlue
      10:25 pm October 21, 2019 Permalink

First time I’ve been able to use it since the serial killer article that they deleted mine, yours and another guys. I am so very back baby! Come see about it.