Stoops still likes Shannon Dawson, but planning for him is “gut-wrenching”

Stoops-dawson

Mark Stoops will run into his former offensive coordinator in Week 1 of the upcoming season when Southern Miss brings Shannon Dawson to town. And though fans may not have a lot of love for Dawson after his one season in Lexington, Stoops still believes he is a good coach and a good guy.

He told KSR today, “I wouldn’t have hired him if I didn’t think he was a good coach. He’s a very good coach and he has good plays.”

“We have a good relationship and contrary to what anyone says we have a good relationship,” Stoops continued. “He’s a good guy and a good person. It just didn’t work out here. I wish him the very best. He’s a good coach, again, or I wouldn’t have hired him.”

That being said, preparing for Dawson has been “killing” Stoops, he admitted to the show. He and his staff have been watching their own game and practice tape from last season, which means they’re having to relive all of those heartbreaking moments.

“I’ve been sitting there studying ourselves. It does absolutely kill me because you can see how close we were… It is gut-wrenching for me. It is tearing me up.”

Article written by Drew Franklin

6 Comments for Stoops still likes Shannon Dawson, but planning for him is “gut-wrenching”

1. scorpiocard
    12:01 pm August 26, 2016 Permalink

Watching his own team play is “killing” him. Gotta love it. Hilarious

• symphonist41169
      12:28 pm August 26, 2016 Permalink

Meanwhile, watching all things Cards implode isn’t hilarious??

• ClutchCargo
      2:02 pm August 26, 2016 Permalink

It’s cute when rival fans enjoy hating on the opposing team more than cheering for their own. Wait… no, it’s actually pathetic when they do that.

2. secrick
    12:26 pm August 26, 2016 Permalink

You must not have read the full article or only read what you wanted to.Watching Petrino ride around on a motor cycle with his girl friend now thats hilarious.

• RealCatsFan
      2:57 pm August 26, 2016 Permalink

That picture of Bobby standing up in front of the cameras with that neck brace and road rash is one of the funniest things of all time. To this day, that is still the main image that comes up when you google his name, and probably always will be, at least until he does something even more embarrassing. The irony of it is that most of the UofL fan base was laughing right along with it, and were saying to themselves that they were glad he was gone. My how times change. Win a few games at UofL, and you could be embraced by the fans even if you had horns coming out of your head and a pointy tail. 😉

3. BiasedBigfoot
    4:33 pm August 26, 2016 Permalink

You would think that watching how much our offence struggled last year would be encouraging in one sense, since we’re now facing the man largely responsible (at least in part) for our offensive struggles.