Stoops sends out Christmas card urging fans to stay on board

If you’re a football season ticket holder, you should have received a Christmas card from Mark Stoops in the past few days. Freddie Maggard took a picture of his card, which included a passionate plea to fans from Stoops to stay on board:

Season Ticket Holders,

Thank you for your continued support of this program and our players. We are working very hard to build a football program that will make you proud!

I am encouraged by the hard work we are seeing from our team as they work to give you the product you deserve. They are motivated, I am motivated, and we know the BBN is hungry! Your passion is felt by each and every one of us.

You are the backbone and foundation of everything we do, and we can’t thank you enough for your support. We need you all in Commonwealth next year…see you there for the spring game on April 16.

Together we will get this done. Go Big Blue!

Mark Stoops

The disappointing end to the season led to a backlash from fans, which Stoops has tried to mitigate in his interview with Matt last week and now, this Christmas card. Have his efforts to connect with the fanbase had any impact on how you feel about the program going forward?

34 Comments for Stoops sends out Christmas card urging fans to stay on board

1. ukjaybrat
    5:23 pm December 21, 2015 Permalink

His position sucks. We’re a prestigious basketball school that expe ts immediate results. It’s hard to keep the average fan engaged because they don’t understand how much goes into building a program, espe ially from where he picked it up.

• leon singleton
      6:19 pm December 21, 2015 Permalink

Cal rebuilds every year.

• UK Big Board Update
      6:24 pm December 21, 2015 Permalink

leon singleton December 21, 2015 at 1:24 pm | Permalink
      Like It (1)
      When players get out from under Cal and get good coaching look how good they get. Skal will be fine when he gets under a coach.

• WeareBBN
      11:11 pm December 21, 2015 Permalink

leon….you know little to nothing and I am leaning towards nothing. 1. much easier to rebuild a team of 7 or 8 than it is 50 plus, I am counting only the major playing time players and considering depth is much more needed in football. 2. SEC stinks in basketball so wins are almost automatic while in football SEC has 8 of top 25 teams. 3. Cal did not rebuild in the NIT year, we were horrible before and after the injury to Nerlens.

• BigBlue2U
      11:22 am December 22, 2015 Permalink

The average fan may not understand the intricacies of what it takes to build a program, but I think it’s pretty evident from the results on the field and how Stoops has conducted himself that even he feels behind schedule.

2. kycats13
    5:25 pm December 21, 2015 Permalink

Sure am glad we didn’t have to play Western this year.
    Wonder if we would trade our players for theirs?

• Rsn2GoBlu
      6:44 pm December 21, 2015 Permalink

I sure would trade coaching staffs with WKU.

3. HeshimuMeansWarrior
    5:26 pm December 21, 2015 Permalink

Nice counters, Freddie.

4. shepdog3720
    5:50 pm December 21, 2015 Permalink

I am on the fence about renewing tickets for next season, but after listening to Drake Jackson on the radio today and hearing the excitement in his voice, I may stick it out for another year. You can tell he truly cares about the university and can’t wait to mix it up out on the field. If he and the other in-state kids have the same passion about playing for UK, then I can probably give it another year for them…I only hope we see improvements from all facets of the program because this past year was painful, to say the least…

• BigBlue2U
      11:24 am December 22, 2015 Permalink

You know who else gave a great interview, truly cared about UK, had passion, and couldn’t wait to mix it up on the field? Patrick Towles.

• satcheluk
      12:49 pm December 22, 2015 Permalink

I hope you stay for the sake of the team. All of us need to continue to support this team, though Drake will, in all likelihood, be red-shirted this season.

We should be better next season, though getting to a bowl will take at least one dramatic upset and beating every game we are supposed to win (including USC at home to get to 5 should wins).

2017 may likely be our first legitimate bowl chance. Having said that I am 100% behind this team and know in my heart that Stoops is the man for the job. We need to stay engaged and supportive. If fans don’t give him the time he needs to develop his young talent and depth, then by creating the uncertainty in his future we make it more difficult for him to recruit, thus ensuring the negative result we fear.

• Bluecreeker
      6:32 pm December 22, 2015 Permalink

I’ll take your tickets if you don’t want them.

5. shelby
    6:01 pm December 21, 2015 Permalink

I was never “off board” – I’m ALL IN with stoops.
    too many people are simply ludicrous – you do not turn a high school team into a bowl team in 3 years. 5 year project minimum folks, 5 years.

• BigBlue2U
      9:06 am December 22, 2015 Permalink

Interesting. Do you have evidence of this “5 year minimum” coming to fruition in other schools? I’ve found multiple records of teams with amazing 1, 2, and 3 year turnarounds, literally from worst to first. Your argument is invalid.

• satcheluk
      1:08 pm December 22, 2015 Permalink

BigBlu-records are not necessarily indicative of the pool of talent when a new coach takes over. You could have a 2-10 that had some devastating injuries to key players who came back the next year and made an immediate impact.

Shelby is correct in that the cupboard was bare when Stoops arrived. Mid MAC level at best. He has recruited well and brought in talent, but we are still not SEC deep, but we have closed the gap. Next year we will be closer and the year after that closer still.

If I was the AD, I’d tell Stoops his job is safe as long as the talent level and play improve each year, thus giving him time to build the program. Changing coaches every few years robs the program of continuity and continuity breeds confidence in recruits and potential assistant coaches.

Take a look at Bill Snyder’s record at K-state. It’s not dissimilar to what Stoops has done. He was given the time to build a consistent winner. Stoops has the ability to do this and UK fans need to give him the support he needs to do it. If he keeps bringing in top 25 recruiting classes, then he deserves the time to develop them.

6. evilcarl
    6:22 pm December 21, 2015 Permalink

Long time fan that has been hurt by optimism a lot. But more talent coming in now than ever before. Losses this year were hard. Especially because you had to wait literally all day to lose. He needs two more years, maybe three if the recruiting picks up. The players we have now aren’t even close to resembling what we’ve had the last 40 years.

7. klassact32
    6:31 pm December 21, 2015 Permalink

How long do the fans need to give. Tired of hearing the crap about fans being impatient, don’t know what fans you are referring to cause it sure ain’t UK fans. They have very low expectations with the football program. They only want six wins and a bowl, they don’t care if the six wins are FBS opponents, just as long as there are six. So shut the hell up about UK fans not giving enough time.

8. Buckeye Fan
    6:40 pm December 21, 2015 Permalink

LOL. This site is loaded with comedy gold.

• UK Big Board Update
      6:42 pm December 21, 2015 Permalink

Its comedy that you registered to this site to get validation.

• dean winchester
      6:57 pm December 21, 2015 Permalink

Comedy gold was when we sent your best bb team in 40 yrs packing in 2011. Glad a december bb win emboldened you to register on a Ky board.

• Buckeye Fan
      7:10 pm December 21, 2015 Permalink

LOL. You people are priceless.

• dean winchester
      7:12 pm December 21, 2015 Permalink

Wow…nice comeback.

• Buckeye Fan
      8:30 pm December 21, 2015 Permalink

I’m a Buckeye Fan. I don’t need a comeback.

• dean winchester
      8:50 pm December 21, 2015 Permalink

Dude really??? Thats…..it?? Is a your momma joke next? Man you know how to bring the pain. I am stunned by your crafty, witty comments.

9. randolph
    7:02 pm December 21, 2015 Permalink

I’m wanting to give Mark Stoops every chance as well, but the fact that he has to send out Christmas cards ($0.49 multiplied by X number of Season Ticket holders = $$$$!!!) sends the signal that Stoops is saying “prepare for a 4-8 season next year.”

• BigBlue2U
      9:09 am December 22, 2015 Permalink

Find me more than 4 wins on next year’s schedule. Dare ya.

10. roundball fool
    8:19 pm December 21, 2015 Permalink

Didn’t Freddie mention the box of Omaha Steaks that comes with the card?

11. Catlogic15
    9:02 pm December 21, 2015 Permalink

I received this card. It lays in two pieces, in the garbage can. No more.

• UK Big Board Update
      11:22 pm December 21, 2015 Permalink

You rebel, you….

12. g mellin
    9:37 pm December 21, 2015 Permalink

I’m done. Moved to seats next to the visitor’s section this year by the renovation. Tired of hearing the opposition celebrating in my house. Pay more money next year for better seats to watch losing football? I don’t think so. Like Stoops and the kids but can’t deal with it anymore.

13. tippytoe
    10:04 pm December 21, 2015 Permalink

Dear Mark Stoops,

“Drop” off a card to Santa and ask to give you some receivers next year.

14. Gitback Coach
    6:44 am December 22, 2015 Permalink

Did anyone notice that Stoops didn’t wish us all a Merry CHRISTmas in his note? Not even a happy holidays? Whatupwitdat?

• satcheluk
      1:12 pm December 22, 2015 Permalink

It wasn’t a Christmas card. Why get butthurt?

15. Bluecreeker
    6:39 pm December 22, 2015 Permalink

Uh, I am not really sure who knows what here, but I know a little. Been watching a long time and the success Claiborne had back in the day is still the bright spot for UK football unless you want to speak about a time when most of us were not even on this earth. Curry sucked the life out of the program, Mumme had some really good teams to watch but got caught up in a ugly mess. It took Paw Paw Brooks to get UK back to a spot of acceptable mediocrity. I don’t say that as a slam on PawPaw…but on those fans who think UK has ever excelled in football. Whatever small amount of momentum UK has with Brooks was totally lost by Joker. Stoops is competing in the SEC against team who recruit 4 and 5 star talent every year. Heck, even when he has a top 20 class he’s still 12th in the SEC. So get real about Stoops and the hurdles he must overcome. I am 100% with him all the way. Those “fans” who think he has had enough time are simply idiots. The culture has to change before you will see consistency on the field, Stoops is doing it.