Stoops discouraged, says they will continue to look at the QB situation

photo (2)

Mark Stoops just wrapped up his first postgame press conference, and it wasn’t a happy one. Stoops said he was incredibly disappointed in his team, especially the defense, and he really believed the Cats would come out and play better than they did:

“Rough day, I’m not very pleased with the way we played. I thought we’d play better than that.”

The big question afterwards was who would start next week against Miami: Jalen Whitlow or Maxwell Smith. Stoops refused to tip his hand, but said that the staff will “continue to look at the QB situation,” noting that both QBs did good things, especially Smith.

Fans booed Stoops after he decided to kick a field goal in the fourth quarter instead of going for it on fourth down. How did that make him feel?

“You’ve got to stay the course. I plan on being a head coach a long time, you have to do what you think is right. …Shoot, half of me wanted to go for it too.

One of the most frustrating things about UK’s performance were all of the missed tackles, drops, and stupid penalties. Don’t worry, Stoops was especially discouraged by the fundamental mistakes the teams made on defense, and their lack of leverage and position on the football.

Interestingly, Stoops noted that the team didn’t seem very excited before the game, and that usually, he has to calm his players down before they go out on the field. Neal Brown agreed, and said the staff has to do a better job of getting them pumped up. (My take: How could you not be pumped up for the season opener against the team you said disrespected you last year??)

It’s gonna be a long bus ride back to Lexington.

20 Comments for Stoops discouraged, says they will continue to look at the QB situation

1. WildcatDrums
    11:41 pm August 31, 2013 Permalink

As much as this loss stings, it’s just a pride thing. It doesn’t affect the Stoop’s era future of this team. Next year will be better once we get Barker (light years better than Whitlow/Smith), and some other pieces. 2015 WILL BE “THE YEAR”…

2. Steve Fitts
    11:43 pm August 31, 2013 Permalink

Very troubling that both Stoops and Brown said the team was not pumped up for the game. If you can’t get pumped up for a team that upset you at your own place a year ago, and disrespected you in the process, you can you get pumped up for. This team doesn’t appear to have heart! The 2014 recruits can’t get here soon enough!

3. cape coral cat
    11:47 pm August 31, 2013 Permalink

We got our Butts kicked. We were out played and most certainly out coached! Its going to be a long season. I hope we improve quickly!

4. Wildcatsteeler
    11:58 pm August 31, 2013 Permalink

Like I’ve been saying for weeks, Smith should have been the starter. More xp, better accuracy, more poise, better decision making. Use Whitlow on offense still and bring him in on short yardage.
    It was a very disappointing loss. Without the WKU turnovers we get absolutely blown out. Just imagine what the SEC teams are going to do to us. After another 2-10 season we may well lose some of the top commits we have.

5. Stephen
    12:00 am September 1, 2013 Permalink

I hope our ‘expert analyst’ matt jones is over his man-crush on Jalen Whitlow (maybe he identified with his last name.) Western couldn’t stop Maxwell Smith. Everyone in the stadium and watching TV knew he was going to pass and still Western couldn’t stop him. The only things that slowed him down on the first drive were penalites and lousy pass protection.

I think we’ll need a QB who is a good passer (duh) and Smith showed he’s a lot better than Whitlow. Whitlow’s a great athlete but we have good runners. With Maxwell in there the offense woke up. And Whitlow was the beneficiary of 2 Western fumbles.

6. just saying
    12:04 am September 1, 2013 Permalink

when you have two QBs, you have none.

Decide, build your offense around him, otherwise this circus will kill us

7. Bunny
    12:08 am September 1, 2013 Permalink

Ky was outplayed on offense, defense, and out-coached. I’m revising my win prediction from 4 to 2. It’s going to be a long season for the Cats. Maybe next year with more talent? Can’t wait for basketball season to start…

8. Ben
    12:09 am September 1, 2013 Permalink

If Smith is not the starter from now on, KY will not win a game this year! If Smith starts the second half, we win this game. Our defense is so bad, that it made Whitlow look good. I will give Stoops time, but if Whitlow starts the next game, then Stoops and Brown are not the coaches I thought they were.

9. Bad move
    12:16 am September 1, 2013 Permalink

Worries me that Stoops did not know Smith is his best QB. A lot of us knew before the game that was the case. Course Matt didn’t. Neither did Stoops. Cost us the game too. Bad decision.

10. Jay
    12:19 am September 1, 2013 Permalink

There certainly is no reason to cannibalize the coaches or each other over this game. I agree with #6. Pick one…I like Smith too, but we don’t know if he is injured(to some degree or not). It’s very easy to say, “Yeah just look what he did in the fourth quarter, if he had played the whole game we’d had won by 20.” Or he would have taken a bad sack at the beginning and Whitlow finishes the game having minimal 1st team reps. WKY was basically in the drivers seat at that point so there was not a ton of pressure on Max so yeah he lit them up…little too little little too late.

Gotta trust the coach’s for a while folks(and by awhile I mean beyond this season). People hated Brooks, and he ended up doing pretty good. I’m as frustrated as anyone, but I think things will move in the right direction….Let’s see what happens next game, and the one after, and the one after that…etc…

11. niaps
    12:28 am September 1, 2013 Permalink

Whitlow is not a QB , period. He should never have been in the rotation as a QB. He has never shown any promise in throwing the football. Why in hell anyone else cannot see this is beyond me. I trusted the coaches in game one and they were wrong as could be. WKU has better players than we do which shows just what kind of ASS joker was. His mission was to destroy UK football and he did a hell of a job. Not only for the time he was here but for at least 3 years to come. This staff has as much to learn as the freshmen. This will be a season of pain and the pain will carry over for years to come.

12. TpThomp
    12:30 am September 1, 2013 Permalink

Nice headline. Tell it how it is – “stoops uses jokers team and continues last season”. Wku is not a good team, by SEC standards atleast. I’ll stay with the stoops and his philosophy for a couple of years – but how can you not get your team juiced for YOUR first game against a little in state team that beat you last year and just went D1 in recent memory.

13. Frank Lloyd
    12:49 am September 1, 2013 Permalink

If Max Smith had started the 2nd quarter the outcome might have been different. But remember, these are Joker’s players, and Mark Stoops had not been in Lexington two weeks when he commented, “there is not a single player on this team good enough to play in the SEC. Stoops is working very hard to correct that. Mitch Barnhart is taking all the blame for allowing his ‘close personal friend’ Joker Phillips to take the program into the basement of college football.

14. ikeeveready
    1:12 am September 1, 2013 Permalink

Max made plays against a prevent d because we were down 3 scores. I still think he is the better option if we are going to throw the ball.

What I want to know is – why the hell did our corners constantly set up 8 yards deep backpedaling on the snap? We’re we than scared of getting beaten over the top on every down?!? Drove me crazy. When you have a potent run game, Doughty with a suspect arm, and semi in-experienced receivers, shouldn’t you press cover a little to help in run support and not give up 8 on every stinking first down?

I still love me some Stoops but come on let’s cover somebody.

15. ukfaninohio
    1:41 am September 1, 2013 Permalink

“I plan on being a head coach for a long time” Not here a long time…

16. Arms of Delk Legs of McCarty
    3:15 am September 1, 2013 Permalink

Stoops: “Terrible game. I feel like my whole world got turned sideways.”

17. UK Freshmen
    6:31 am September 1, 2013 Permalink

This joke of a coach smelled like a fraud from the get-go. Yahtzee my arse. And BBN should be ashamed buying into this PT Barnam Bozo. Just wait till the decommits start rolling in.

18. tyrus
    6:47 am September 1, 2013 Permalink

With the way the defense played, it wouldn’t have mattered who was the QB. For the team to be flat or unemotional…that’s the players fault. Who are the team leaders? Who will be the ones going around before the games slapping helmets, banging shoulder pads and foaming at that mouth ready to knock the f**king s**t at of the opponent on the opening kick-off?! Where the leaders that will make a hard tackle, gets up quickly and head right back to the huddle ready to dish-out more punishment to the opponents.

Chatting about winning games or how ready one is to play on social media platforms needs to stop. In one game it’s become clear that the players need to concentrate solely on what their duties are on the field.

19. BluKudzu
    6:51 am September 1, 2013 Permalink

The hype is total Bovine Scatology. We have no line play on either side of the ball. Complain about the Quarterback situation all you want, but if the OL and the DL don’t show up, we have no chance to win. No pass rush, no linebacker play, leads to games that will give up pinball play type scoring and each week and the opponent will have Heisman type stats. Hard to win in the SEC when you give up 35 to any team. No pass rush, inabillity to tackle,we are just awful.
    The OL is pathetic. Just pathetic. Stupid penalties. No concentration, no discipline. They seemed to be the one’s with the “deer in the headlight look” to me. This game was lost by the line, on both sides of the ball. At UK we play efense only. There is no D.
    Stoops, you have just been given a lesson in football. I hope you will look at the basics. It don’t matter if it is air raid, first aid or Kool aid, if your team can’ t block and can’t tackle, (you know, the freaking fundamentals) you have zero, nada, nicht, no chance in hell to win.
    Hey at least we are in shape though, right?
    Please give us hope that we will not have the Curry type years of 70 to nothing games in the SEC.
    Please.

20. JRock1966
    7:40 am September 1, 2013 Permalink

All I heard or read about (I did not see any of this first-hand) was that JW had the edge and looked better than all the other QB’s since the Spring game. But it was obvious to even the most casual observer that MS is who we need leading and running the offense….this makes me question what kind of effort MS has been giving in practices. Not everyone and not all the reports can be wrong. If MS is not giving it up in practices then I see why JW started last night. But it was obvious that when games begin, Max turns on a switch or the light turns on or something….Max is our starting QB at least for next week….too bad he could not do the things necessary the past several months to have been our starting QB last night or we would be 1-0.