Stoops says his team didn’t believe they could beat Georgia

Photo by UK Athletics

Photo by UK Athletics

Photo by UK Athletics

Mark Stoops has already given us a lot of interesting comments today, and he’s giving the media a few more during his weekly press conference. After three demoralizing losses, Alan Cutler asked Stoops if his players still believe they can win.

“I think that’s a fair question and I don’t think that was the case last Saturday, that we did go into that game believing we could win. I don’t think we did,” Stoops said. “I don’t lie to you, and I ain’t gonna lie to the players. I didn’t see that belief.”

Stoops said that’s the first time this year he’s noticed that in his players. Do they think they can win on Saturday?

“They better.”

Oof.

18 Comments for Stoops says his team didn’t believe they could beat Georgia

1. Poppschmidty
    12:22 pm November 9, 2015 Permalink

Let’s see which version of our Wildcats come out there on Saturday! I’m not hanging up my tailgating gear just yet! Go Cats!

2. Wildcats94
    12:35 pm November 9, 2015 Permalink

I’m going to the Vandy Game… Hope to see these Cats fight and bring home the win!! Im not giving up on this team, if Barker becomes a leader hope isnt lost…. hope we pull it together… GO CATS!!!

3. leon singleton
    12:44 pm November 9, 2015 Permalink

Stoops said at the start of the season this was Towles team. He is sinking the ship.

4. Angelo
    12:48 pm November 9, 2015 Permalink

Vegas only has us a four point underdog. Barker might pull it off.

• Kernel Sanders
      1:18 pm November 9, 2015 Permalink

When is the last time, as either the underdog or the favorite, that UK has beat the spread? I am serious, anybody know? It seems like forever.

• bigblueforever
      3:03 pm November 9, 2015 Permalink

This year at South Carolina. I think Auburn was more than 3 point favorite this year so I think UK beat that spread. Florida beat us by 4. What was spread?

5. WeareBBN
    12:53 pm November 9, 2015 Permalink

I don’t think the players have any faith in Pat and they really have no reason to based on his play. I know he is not the total problem but has been a big part of it the entire time he has played.

• Poppschmidty
      12:56 pm November 9, 2015 Permalink

I’ve been wondering if some of the bad play has been because Pat has lost the offensive line’s trust.

• Long Dong Silver
      1:31 pm November 9, 2015 Permalink

That’s what I was trying to tell J-Dub and UkJaybrat in the show thread. But, they are football experts lol.

6. kycats13
    1:11 pm November 9, 2015 Permalink

Poor coaching, lack of improvement, same comments for the past 60 years.

7. Booby Petrino
    1:17 pm November 9, 2015 Permalink

According to our fan base, they shouldn’t believe they can beat anyone. KSR shouldn’t believe they can beat anyone, and none of the fans should believe it either. KSR should only make posts about how badly we’re going to lose. Because if you post something saying we will win, you’re drinking kool-aide, or are ignorant, or just have no idea about football. So instead of posting anything positive, let’s just be real and post all negatives so that no one will make fun of you. Let’s just all throw the season in the toilet and be negative for the rest of the season!

• Kernel Sanders
      1:22 pm November 9, 2015 Permalink

I think throwing the season in the toilet has been pretty much taken care of. It will just take a 7-3 loss to Vandy and a butt stomping by UofL, and there ya go. If you’re a betting man, take Vandy and give the 4 points, and take UofL.

8. kyjohn
    1:18 pm November 9, 2015 Permalink

Does anyone think Les Miles or Saban would ever tolerate a defeatest attitude like this? Stoops just answered the question why his teams perform as they do.

9. BigO
    1:22 pm November 9, 2015 Permalink

I am sorry but if your team feels it can’t win that is on all of the coaches. Not just the head coach. Stoops gets A+ for honesty but F for getting his team ready for Athens. That is inexcusable.

10. kycats13
    1:46 pm November 9, 2015 Permalink

Wouldn’t it have been funny to see the reaction of Elam had he gone to Alabama. They would have sent him back on the first bus north.

A second thought, maybe moving Elam to the offensive line might work wonders for him.

• bigblueforever
      3:08 pm November 9, 2015 Permalink

Elam is an offensive lineman. It’s so obvious it hurts. He is not close to being athletic enough to play D1
      Defensive lineman. I don’t know a lot about lines and usually watch ball, but even to an untrained eye he sucks on the d line. And I’m an Elam fan. Put him on the o line. Please. He’d be so good that Kentucky Joe would sing “I’m a Matt Elam Fan”!

11. bigpops
    2:12 pm November 9, 2015 Permalink

Stoops job is to make his team believe they can beat anyone! If the players went into the game believing they had no shot against a floundering Georgia team then that tells me all I need to know about their belief in this staff. Even if Stoops thought that he shouldn’t have said it. This whole program is one big dumpster fire. He basically admitted that he can’t get them to believe so why should we as fans? Disgusted!

12. bosshogg24
    4:21 pm November 9, 2015 Permalink

If the players don’t believe they can win, it is the fault of the coaching staff and coaches should be fired!