Stoops on why UK kicked the field goal instead of going for it on 4th and goal

Had Missouri won tonight, Kentucky fans would be talking about one play for the next two weeks: Mark Stoops’ decision to kick the field goal instead of going for it on fourth and goal with two minutes left. Austin MacGinnis’ kick put the Cats up six, but it left the door open for a potent Missouri offense to march back down the field and win the game with a touchdown. Thankfully, the Tigers didn’t, but it made for a tense few minutes across the Commonwealth.

When asked about the call afterwards, Stoops said he was “tempted” to go for it on fourth down, but decided to push the lead to six instead.

“I had to. It was tempting, but I had to do it because that team could move the football and three points —  for the very reason they got it down there, you had to get in the end zone makes a big difference with no time outs. We know they can go fast and we obviously saw how explosive they can be. So I just felt like we had to do it. It was tempting, but not at [fourth and] two. If it was fourth and one, you may make them drive the length of the field if you don’t make it, but I think six [points] was big and you had to make them score the touchdown.”

Say it with me: Phew.

14 Comments for Stoops on why UK kicked the field goal instead of going for it on 4th and goal

1. Duuuuuude
    12:11 am October 8, 2017 Permalink

I cannot believe this decision created a controversy.

2. runningunnin.454
    12:20 am October 8, 2017 Permalink

Sometimes you just get tired of being conservative…and I’m not talking politics (wink, wink).
    When we break a big play, I find myself watching and hoping he takes it to the house, and we don’t end up with a 1st and goal from the 2.

• TBW3011
      12:27 am October 8, 2017 Permalink

The 2nd down play made me mad. The whole place was looking run middle and that’s exactly what we do. Thought that was the play and down to be aggressive and end the game.

• runningunnin.454
      12:35 am October 8, 2017 Permalink

Yep, should not have had to kick…you have to take those in.

• InigoMontoya
      10:18 am October 8, 2017 Permalink

You’re right, TBW. If we had a line that consistently blew out the defense, then running up the middle is fine. But we’re not there, yet.

3. TBW3011
    12:25 am October 8, 2017 Permalink

Yeah. Kicking it there was fine. People should question why we snapped it multiple times on that drive with over 10 seconds on the play clock.

4. mikeintn
    12:35 am October 8, 2017 Permalink

I agree kicking it was the right call, if it was me I would have done the same.

• runningunnin.454
      12:43 am October 8, 2017 Permalink

Well yeah, but it did leave the door open. Deja vu=already seen, and I felt like I had already seen the Florida game.

5. dcforuk
    12:44 am October 8, 2017 Permalink

My 13 and 14 year-old sons and I were debating the same thing. We initially thought that we should have gone for it on 4th down but then we noticed that Mizzou was out of timeouts. In the end, it proved to be the right decision. So Stoops gets paid all that cash to have both guts and brains and a good crew to remind him that Mizzou was out of timeouts!

6. runningunnin.454
    1:02 am October 8, 2017 Permalink

I did like SJ hurdling the defender….Lamar who?

7. Duuuuuude
    5:05 am October 8, 2017 Permalink

Do yuou people realize how much easier it would have been for MO to come down and hit a field goal than to score a touch down? As it was, they were well within field goal range at the end of the game.

• Rixter
      10:08 am October 8, 2017 Permalink

the distance they would have to drive would be about the same, as they would be starting from their own one, and having to get to at least UK’s 30 for that crappy kicker.. as opposed to staring at their own 25 and having to reach the end zone

8. kenny
    7:38 am October 8, 2017 Permalink

Had UK not got the TD, Mizzou was in field goal range to end the game. Stoops would’ve been crucified if Missouri won in OT. Even when they win, stoops can’t “win”.

• Rixter
      10:09 am October 8, 2017 Permalink

Except you forgot that Mizzou started that drive from their 25 instead of their own goal line