Stoops on whether or not Drew Barker will be back this season

Mark Zerof | USA Today

Mark Zerof | USA Today

Mark Zerof | USA Today

Everyone wants to know whether or not sophomore quarterback Drew Barker will be back this season. Barker has been suffering from a back injury that forced him to come out of the New Mexico State game, and rumors have been rampant that he may be out for the year. Last week, Mark Stoops said Barker is definitely out for the Mississippi State game, but they would reevaluate him after that. Today, Stoops was asked for the latest on Barker today, and said the update is…well, there isn’t really an update.

“The update is, it’s about the same. No big jump one way or the other.”

Stoops said despite the lack of progress, he’s not ready to rule Barker out for the rest of the season just yet.

“I’m not going to rule it out yet. Not ready to make that decision — or, the doctors aren’t ready to make that decision.”

Is surgery still an option?

“Not at this point,” Stoops said, adding later that he was proud of how supportive Barker has been of Stephen Johnson in practice lately.

“He’s been very supportive and he helps any way he can. I’ve been proud of him that way. It’s hard, he’s worked hard to get in the position he did and it was a very quick start. I don’t know how the ending is going to go and I don’t think he does, but he’s doing everything he can to help and I appreciate that.”

Stoops said if Stephen Johnson goes down with a significant injury, true freshman Gunnar Hoak will step up in his place.

Other injury notes:

• Linebacker De’Niro Laster, who missed the Vandy game due to an undisclosed injury, was replaced on the depth chart by Kengera Daniel, a move which Stoops said means Laster will be out at least “a couple of weeks.”
  • Nose tackle Matt Elam is expected to be back for Mississippi State

9 Comments for Stoops on whether or not Drew Barker will be back this season

1. DelrayCat
    1:25 pm October 17, 2016 Permalink

Which is more likely…
    Drew Barker red-shirt? or
    Drew Barker transfer?

• ClutchCargo
      1:38 pm October 17, 2016 Permalink

Which is more likely…
      DelrayCat making yet another negative comment? or
      DelrayCat getting a hobby?

• Jaxson
      2:35 pm October 17, 2016 Permalink

Boston College is going to need a replacement QB for next year…….

• WildcatCam
      2:48 pm October 17, 2016 Permalink

I think DelrayCat asked a legit question, ClutchCargo…

• ClutchCargo
      3:09 pm October 17, 2016 Permalink

I probably took the comment the wrong way, sorry for the overreaction. I still don’t think he would be planning to do anything other than heal up and compete to be the starter next year.

• WildcatCam
      12:24 pm October 18, 2016 Permalink

I gotcha, no worries..lol he very well may have been trying to be a jack***, but either way, I think it’s an honest question. Wasn’t trying to come at you any kinda way. I think he’s planning to heal up and be the starter, too! I sure hope so!

2. BluKudzu
    1:47 pm October 17, 2016 Permalink

I dunno, but, if I were a gambling man, I would say red shirt.

Given the comments made by Coach Stoops in his press conference today, he seems ready to burn a red shirt for Hoak if needed. I think Drew, given the recruiting he helped do, to bring in his class, will likely stay for a couple years, anyway.

It is like anything else, if he wants to be on this team, I hope he stays. If he does not, then best of luck, thank you for what you have done, do not let the door swing back and hurt you on the way out. Next up.

Discontent, from one can have a very bad influence on the others, dividing the team loyalties, etc,. We saw that last year. Do not need it again.

3. gokycats33
    4:18 pm October 17, 2016 Permalink

I don’t think that Drew can red shirt because of the injury. Didn’t he already red shirt when he 1st got here as a Freshman in 2014?

• WildcatCam
      12:25 pm October 18, 2016 Permalink

You can apply for a medical reshirt