@UKFootball

@UKFootball

@UKFootball

Earlier this week, Kentucky football players received bowl rings even though they didn’t win the TaxSlayer Bowl, a move which has drawn some heat online. I’ve already gone over why the players getting rings is completely normal, but Mark Stoops put it best in an interview on “Full Ride,” a show on Sirius XM College Sports this morning.

“Our players — we have bowl games and we have money allotted to bowl games so they can get what they want,” Stoops said. “I could care less what they get. They want a ring? We’ll get a ring. They want a t-shirt, we’ll get a t-shirt. They want a sweatsuit? We’ll get that. That’s for those guys to decide. So, I really don’t give a crap what anybody else says.

YEAH. SASSY STOOPS. Hear the clip for yourself below:

28 Comments for Stoops on criticism over bowl rings: “I really don’t give a crap what anybody else says”

1. Booby Petrino
    1:02 pm April 21, 2017 Permalink

Great response! Get em Stoops! (other than I’m pretty sure he meant ‘couldn’t’ care less)

2. runningunnin.454
    1:03 pm April 21, 2017 Permalink

Ka-boom.

3. catsarerunnin
    1:04 pm April 21, 2017 Permalink

RingGate continues….yawn.

4. RackEmWillie
    1:06 pm April 21, 2017 Permalink

I think this might be the most I’ve liked Stoops.

5. DrSayre
    1:09 pm April 21, 2017 Permalink

TJ Beinser made a good point on some radio show the other day. He basically said he wasnt crazy about the rings, but it’s pretty much the only way you can really reward the players. It would be better if they could just give them like $500 for a good season instead, but that’s against the rules and this is the best they can do.

6. kykats
    1:26 pm April 21, 2017 Permalink

Gogettem STOOPS. Kids had a breakthrough year. Deserve the rings. Glad to learn they got to choose their reward.

7. david8577
    1:34 pm April 21, 2017 Permalink

Amen.

8. 2Dogs
    1:44 pm April 21, 2017 Permalink

They should have made the ring bigger and inscribed “You don’t like it? I really don’t give a crap”.

9. krautdog
    1:59 pm April 21, 2017 Permalink

We really don’t give a crap what Stoops says either!

• DACats86
      2:01 pm April 21, 2017 Permalink

We? Got a mouse in your pocket?

• krautdog
      5:22 pm April 21, 2017 Permalink

BRING IT Luether!

• Brian in Franklin
      2:23 pm April 21, 2017 Permalink

This we does. I like the guy. How bout doing what momma said if you dont have anything nice to say shut yer mouth.

10. claiborne_field
    2:36 pm April 21, 2017 Permalink

Regardless of the rings, that sounds like something a meathead coordinator in a side interview would say- not the head coach of a division 1 team in a power conference…

11. TonyMontana
    2:54 pm April 21, 2017 Permalink

Lets be honest though, getting a ring for a game you didnt win sounds like something Indiana would do.

• UKrailbird
      3:27 pm April 21, 2017 Permalink

If your son were a senior on the team and received a ring, would you ask him to not accept it or return it? If no, then STFU!!

• blackmilk23
      4:13 pm April 21, 2017 Permalink

Just because I would let me son keep it doesn’t mean she should have got it…

They were 1 game over .500 and lost their postseason game.

12. Ridge Runner
    3:02 pm April 21, 2017 Permalink

Love stoops standing his ground here. However rings are still bad idea.

13. GroundControlToNumber9
    4:10 pm April 21, 2017 Permalink

“These kids want something that represents what a champion should get but aren’t champions… we’ll get them a participation ring.

We have let go of teaching young folks what it means to achieve to the higher level.

4-4 in the conference, we only beat one team with a winning record, and finished unranked (not even in the top 45) at the end of the season… and this school allots money for extra’s. You think I’m going to complain about that.

It just means my job has been defined as good enough (easier than it should be) by my boss. That’s their decision. They keep selling that to the fans (and if they fans keep buying it) then I keep selling that to the fans.”

– Mark Stoops

14. AmazzzingLarry
    6:11 pm April 21, 2017 Permalink

I still think these rings are stupid. On the other hand, I can see that Coach Stoops wants to make his players happy and reward them for a hard fought season. Still don’t agree with participation trophies, but if this is something you get bent out of shape over, you might want to get some perspective on your life.

15. DennyC
    6:16 pm April 21, 2017 Permalink

^^^^^^^^^ Well Said.

16. Big DAWG Loggin
    7:23 pm April 21, 2017 Permalink

I wanted to post this before. Innumerable times. Tyler, your work product is splendid. What’s painfully profound is the disparity of responses. I Love this site. And, your work. My 2 cents: Add a thumbs down.
    And a threshold to delete. Many comments need a thumbs up; but some need a thumbs down. When you add that functionality, feel frre to thumbs down my comments. Thanks for what you do. Go Cats!

17. UK Fan In Nashville
    2:35 pm April 23, 2017 Permalink

We got bowl rings every year under Brooks and Phillips. I have three bowl rings for my time soon coaching video and two of them were losses.

• UK Fan In Nashville