Stoops not worried about the “Joker Effect”

i-74cf1b13b20bfb24b429a5941c40802a-010610_Joker_Phillips

Will having their old coach on the opposite sideline be a distraction to some of UK’s veterans on Saturday? Mark Stoops doesn’t think so. When asked if he thought Joker Phillips’ return would stir up some emotions in his players during his press conference this morning, Stoops said the team has plenty of motivation to beat the Gators as is:

“I wouldn’t think, no. I think most people around here have positive feelings about Coach Phillips. I wouldn’t think that would give any extra motivation for us. We ought to be pretty motivated as it is.”

Nick Roush will be by in a little bit with a full recap of Stoops’ comments, but until then, let’s sound off. The players might have other things on their minds on Saturday, but what about the fans? Joker won’t be announced as he runs on the field, but if he were, do you think he would come out to boos or cheers? Or just silence?

31 Comments for Stoops not worried about the “Joker Effect”

1. Troof
    12:52 pm September 23, 2013 Permalink

I think the majority of the blame for Joker should be on Mitch Barnyard’s shoulders. He was destined to fail from the beginning.

That being said, I think there would be silence/some boos. Probably no cheering.

2. Dano
    12:52 pm September 23, 2013 Permalink

The Joker effect is that because he has cursed the with his presence, we will win.

3. DH
    12:53 pm September 23, 2013 Permalink

I don’t dislike Joker as a person (not that I know him personally…), so I wouldn’t see any reason to be disrespectful. But I certainly see no reason to cheer for him, either. Maybe a polite golf clap would suffice. Silence, to me, suggests indifference. Now that I think about it, silence may very well be the best option…

4. RealCatsFan
    12:55 pm September 23, 2013 Permalink

One can only hope that the “Joker Effect” is in full force throughout the entire UF football team. If that happens, the Cats will be the odd-on favorite to win.

5. GeePee
    12:56 pm September 23, 2013 Permalink

I really don’t care anymore about Joker, as long as he is not Coaching Ky. I don’t mean him ill will personally or professionally, but who cares anymore…he’s gone.

6. jeff
    1:08 pm September 23, 2013 Permalink

Why in the world would anyone boo Joker? So he failed as our coach, why would that justify being disrespectful to a native Kentuckian who was also a very good player at UK. He has never been disrespectful to UK, why boo him? I agree with the premise that polite applause should suffice, although it’s likely a moot point. Why would he even be announced?

7. TrueBlue63
    1:12 pm September 23, 2013 Permalink

I’d cheer really loud for Joker if he was announced. I’m estatic that UK hired Stoops and I’m excited for the future of the program. But Joker did end the UT streak, the Spurrier streak, and was instrumental in bringing in players that beat a top ten UL program AND #1 LSU in the same season. He was also coaching when UK won at Auburn for the first time in many decades (which also happend to be the largest crowd to witness a UK win EVER). So yes, I believe the program is headed in the right direction with Stoops, but I am a fan of what Joker was able to accomplish while he was here.

8. JP
    1:17 pm September 23, 2013 Permalink

I doubt anyone will know Joker is at the stadium. He is a position coach and his name will not be announced unless someone calls 911. Joker can no longer do any harm to our program and now that he has been named Florida’s New Coach In Waiting I say he is somebody else’s problem. Thank God we are free from the Joke.

9. Al Becker
    1:19 pm September 23, 2013 Permalink

Joker Effect? The real Joker Effect was being outscored 78-7 by Vandy the past 2 years and being mercy ruled by an Arkansas team with a losing record. Glad he’s gone.

10. Rights
    1:23 pm September 23, 2013 Permalink

#6 Right, why would anyone boo Joker? He is just another in a long line of coaches (60 plus years) that left without a winning record. Was it time for him to go? Sure, but at some point sane people have to realize there are more shortcomings in the program than with the coaches. There have been some dam good coaches that couldn’t turn UK FB around. Unlike many coaches at UK and elsewhere, Joker did not leave amid academic scandal, rampant legal issues, recruiting violations or anything of the kind. Since he is a native Kentuckian, former player, and devoted a big part of his coaching career to UK, I just wish he had left when Brooks did, aS much for his sake as ours. I would give him a polite cheer.

11. bosshogg24
    1:33 pm September 23, 2013 Permalink

Joker was a Joke, he set UK Football back 10 years! He should have to pay UK instead of UK paying him!

12. BlueTruth
    1:35 pm September 23, 2013 Permalink

I wouldn’t boo Joker at all. I’m glad he’s not the UK coach anymore, but I wish him the best. He’s a guy who would’ve given anything for the UK program. It just didn’t work out for him or us. Cats.

13. MattJones_KnowsFootball
    1:38 pm September 23, 2013 Permalink

Florida’s WRs and QB should be more worried about the Joker Effect. Commonwealth Stadium #ComeBooTheJoker Saturday.

14. btowncatfan
    1:46 pm September 23, 2013 Permalink

Are we going to have the opprtunity to cheer/boo him. It’s not like they introduce the opposing teams’ wide receivers coach. Joker won’t be acknowledged at all.

15. RealCatsFan
    1:49 pm September 23, 2013 Permalink

To the previous poster above this post – I am absolutely against the fans booing Joker, no matter how bad the Cats did last year. As others posted, Joker failed, but not for a lack of trying to put his heart and soul into the program. I am glad we have moved on, but I wish him well – except for Saturday, or when he is trying to get a recruit to come to Florida whom UK is after.

16. Duuuuuude
    1:51 pm September 23, 2013 Permalink

I liked Joker…….defended Joker…… but when I learned he he had done recruiting Barker and had given up so quickly on so many others we could have gotten into UK, I realized how deep over his head he was. The move to FL is the best thing that could have happened for everybody. (except maybe Florida)

17. rick
    2:02 pm September 23, 2013 Permalink

CHEERS

18. MartyH
    2:05 pm September 23, 2013 Permalink

Joker will spank UK, leave Lexington all smiles, and hear about how wannabe radio jocks talk smack ….he loves it; MIllionaires Phillips could careless. Stoops wont win rest of season and be on his choppin block next year. Way to waste a few million on a 40 yr asst coach…. 1-4 HA!

GO GATORS,

From a avid UK Athletic Fan, friend of Joker.

19. ribin
    2:10 pm September 23, 2013 Permalink

Joker is a ‘kentucky’ guy — he did some good things at UK – be cordial — be glad he is coaching at Florida – BE Glad we have Stoops Troops !

20. President Matt Elam
    2:14 pm September 23, 2013 Permalink

NThe only person who never worried about the joker effect was joker.I wonder if twitter will run with #thingsbetterthanjoker before the game.

21. Carlos Danger
    2:18 pm September 23, 2013 Permalink

“From a avid UK Athletic Fan, friend of Joker.”

Based on that statement you probably meant to write “an avid fan”

That said Joker’s photo shops creep me out.

22. CATFANRAN
    2:31 pm September 23, 2013 Permalink

I don’t have any disrespect for Joker, I think he was way over his head as a head coach in the Sec. He should have never been made a coach in waiting.
    He wanted to win so badly being from Kentucky and playing at U K but it just didn’t work out. I wish
    nothing but success just not against our CATs

23. UKCincy
    2:37 pm September 23, 2013 Permalink

Joker Phillips/Bill Curry, two of the same. Both nice guys you wanted to succeed at UK, but both failed badly. I wish Joker well except against UK, and Curry in his retirement.

24. Mike In The Wood
    2:38 pm September 23, 2013 Permalink

Joker has done a lot for Kentucky as a player, a position coach, a coordinator and eventually he failed at being a head coach. Yes we all know that did not go well. He did however break the streak against Spurrier and Tennessee so he did have some good times. I wouldn’t boo him he just wasn’t the right man for that particular job.

25. HelpMeOutHere
    2:47 pm September 23, 2013 Permalink

I don’t get why Joker’s friends (like MartyH above) are so bitter that we fired him. I’m also Facebook friends with a cousin of his and all she does is talk about how the people of FL love him and how awful we are for not having him as our coach anymore. Joker got worse every season, capping it off at 2-10. Did you geniuses really expect UK to keep him? Who can be that terrible at their job but continue to get paid quite nicely for it? Why are you so bitter and think we have some sort of vendetta against him personally? We would have loved for him to succeed, but he failed, so we moved on to. Let go of the anger, it’s only hurting you, the rest of us don’t feel bad we just wonder why you all are so pathetic.

26. Justice
    2:47 pm September 23, 2013 Permalink

I say everyone boo the guy… He did absolutely nothing as head coach. Only thing he did was turn the program from decent to a laughing stock, a guaranteed W for other teams. The one thing he did do was beat Tenn. but, he ran the same freakin play every down!. I didn’t like the guy as an offensive cordinator and I thought it was a terrible move my UK to name him as head coach (turns out I was right). He recruited players that had little to no talent (half a star players).

27. justice
    2:52 pm September 23, 2013 Permalink

by*

28. The Real Justice
    3:06 pm September 23, 2013 Permalink

I say none of us are going to care if Joker is there or not when were storming the field after we beat the gaytors 100-0. And yes I think we are going to win 100-0 zero thanks to Ryan Timmons personally scoring 10 touchdowns and 4 more from Whitlow running them in. Add in 2 2-point conversions and youre looking at 100-0.

29. Mark Liptak
    3:37 pm September 23, 2013 Permalink

Personally I don’t care and he won’t even be acknowledged, but if he is, he’ll get booed and deservedly so.

He took a program that had gained a measure of success with Rich Brooks and ran it into the ground with his stupidity. He was in over his head…period.

That’s the difference between him and many of the other coaches who have come and gone….they didn’t ruin something that was at least moderately successful.

30. jeff
    4:28 pm September 23, 2013 Permalink

I would cheer for Joker. he dedicated years to UK. Only a fool would wish him ill.

31. Joker destroyed UK
    4:53 pm September 23, 2013 Permalink

I was a student at UK when Joker played. I liked him. Still, he took the program straight downhill fast after he became head coach. He may be a good position coach but he was a complete and utter loser as a head coach. The real question is whether the PA announcer should “welcome” him back and risk an embarrassingly negative crowd reaction. I say “no.” Let Joker be Joker in silence and let me forget about what he did to this program as head coach.