Stoops’ message to BBN: “We’ve got to push forward and bust the door down”

stoops-patience

After last season’s massive disappointment of a football season, many fans have lost hope in the Mark Stoops era of Kentucky football. Season ticket holders are hesitant to renew next year and a strong decline in fan attendance is almost a certainty, after leading the SEC in attendance increase in 2015.

But through all of the negativity surrounding his team, Stoops still plans to deliver on his promise to make Kentucky a winning football program.

In his final message to Big Blue Nation this morning, he told KSR listeners he will deliver, and hopes you won’t give up on him before he does:

I want to deliver. I said that from day one. I want to deliver for these people that have been sitting here for 62 years, ready to have a consistent winner. We’re going to get that done. Believe me, come hell or high water, we’re going to get that done.

It takes time. I’m not making excuses. But I also said that when I got here that it’s going to take a lot of people. It’s going to take a commitment from a lot of people for a long time. That’s how you get it.

Do you think that these people in the SEC have been supporting their teams, and pumping millions of dollars, and attending their games for a long, long time? Do you? Okay, well that is what we need.

I get it and I also get that they’ve been doing that. I get also it’s very hard to go to a football game. It’s expensive. It’s crowded. You know, the parking issues we had to deal with this year and the change and all that stuff. I get it. It’s a big commitment. It’s not like getting in and out of there or anything. It’s an all day event, with the tailgating and all that, and you want to deliver for these people, believe me. So I feel it.

So what I’m going to say to them — again, when I got here I said it was going to take a big commitment from a lot of people. We’re getting that. We’re getting that commitment. Just because we got the stadium renovated, it doesn’t mean: ‘boom’ we can flip a switch and I can wave a magic wand and we’re going to get better overnight. Just because we’re building a football facility, which in fact I’m proud of — since I got here we raised the money to build a $45 million practice facility that’s going to help this program for 50 years to come — I’m proud of that. I’m proud I helped — hopefully, have influenced the legislators to get the bonding to do the stadium. The energy is here. And I want to deliver for them.

But we’ve been doing this a long time, they’ve been grinding a long time — this is no time to back up. We’ve got to push forward and bust the door down. It’s not easy, but we will get it done.

Without question (we will be better next year). We’ll get it done. Again, I totally get (fan frustration.) That’s my message: I get the margin for error that we had this year was small and we missed some opportunities and that’s my fault. I accept that and that’s okay. We’ll get those yards, we’ll get those inches that’ll make a difference next year. I know the team’s going to work and I know our attitude is going to be right, and I know one thing: it’s going to be a passionate, hardworking, fun group to watch.”

So who’s in?

Article written by Drew Franklin

29 Comments for Stoops’ message to BBN: “We’ve got to push forward and bust the door down”

1. chimichanga
    1:23 pm December 16, 2015 Permalink

Stoops has one more year to make something happen. I hope it works out.

2. aj007
    1:33 pm December 16, 2015 Permalink

REALLY hope we can get 6 wins next season. 2 seasons where it’s been embarrassing NOT to get 6. Hopefully we build a ton of momentum and 2017 is a fantastic recruiting class.

3. psacatfan
    1:41 pm December 16, 2015 Permalink

Yada Yada Yada Tell us what when wrong and what you are doing to fix it

• JaminTheCoach
      1:48 pm December 16, 2015 Permalink

There are 3 things he can do to fix it. 1.) Be more organized in game planning and game decisions. 2.) Continue to recruit better players. 3.) Push those players past what they believe their limits are to get better. The rest is up to the players. Practice, practice, practice, and when you can’t practice anymore, practice. After that, go out and execute. The coach can only do so much and his responsibilities reach only so far. At some point, the players have to play the game.

4. kyjohn
    1:47 pm December 16, 2015 Permalink

Kentucky Football fans have been passionately supporting their moribund football program for many,many years and they are getting tired of the inept product they are seeing on the field.It’s time for Stoops to put up or shut up,although he is safe with the greatest contract ever awarded to an employee by a major university.

5. thabeast
    1:52 pm December 16, 2015 Permalink

This was obviously a disappointing season in more ways than one, but I honestly feel that we got better this year and things can only go up from here. I will continue to support the program that I was raised to love and believe in.

• cware81
      3:10 pm December 16, 2015 Permalink

How can you look at what happened on the field this season and say from game 1 to game 12, this team showed improvement?

• thabeast
      4:01 pm December 16, 2015 Permalink

Maybe I should have worded it differently. I’m not an idiot and I realize that this particular team did not improve much during this season, but on a yearly outlook, this team was improved from the prior 2 years. Maybe not necessarily from a coaching standpoint, but talent level is obviously way up and things can only improve with the players that Stoops continues to bring in (if that continues). Some coaching changes are definitely needed but that is no reason to give up on the program as a whole.

• thabeast
      4:04 pm December 16, 2015 Permalink

And you really can’t just ignore the fact that if a few more plays went our way, this isn’t even a discussion.

• cware81
      7:02 pm December 16, 2015 Permalink

That’s the problem though. Those plays didn’t go our way. I’m not saying give up on this team. I’m a UK fan, and always will be, but we can call a spade a spade. If more plays went our way is a silly statement. If we scored more points than our opponent we would have one more. It’s also a stupid thing to say.

• UK Big Board Update
      2:41 am December 17, 2015 Permalink

“we would have one more” is also a stupid thing to say…

• cware81
      11:38 am December 18, 2015 Permalink

Lol. Whoops, that is dumb.

6. Jaxson
    1:57 pm December 16, 2015 Permalink

Despite the recruiting success, the majority of players don’t improve. At all. Maybe work on that. Stoops said he can’t even devise his own schedules, maybe he can ask for an itinerary for player development.

7. 3dcatfan
    2:16 pm December 16, 2015 Permalink

Matt can’t believe you didn’t challenge him on saying certain offense can’t work in this league. They can and they have. I bet Leach would be running that style of offense and would have a lot more success than what we’ve had the last 3 yrs. Stoops just proved today that he’s just one of those old school run 1st kind of guys with no imagination.

8. leon singleton
    2:41 pm December 16, 2015 Permalink

Drew Barker will lead us to the promise land.

9. blueballs80
    2:46 pm December 16, 2015 Permalink

We are so screwed next season. Talent is there but breaking red shirt freshmen in this league is rough.

10. The Professor
    2:47 pm December 16, 2015 Permalink

If it was a matter of just improving the level of talent or that our youth was causing us to lose then I would be 100% on the bandwagon that we should give Stoops all the time he needs. However, it is evident for all to see that our coaching snafus had as much to do with us losing as anything. I just don’t have confidence that coaches improve by leaps and bounds like a player can from one year to another. I hope he proves me wrong.

11. david8577
    3:00 pm December 16, 2015 Permalink

Sure, the way the latter half of the last two seasons went down completely sucked. But in the overall picture of UK football, 5-7 is probably average. It’s time for some UK fans to really show their mettle. This isn’t the NE Patriots sports radio or the Golden State Warriors sports radio; we all know what we are getting into with UK football. Go tailgate, enjoy your day, enjoy your beer, and if we start winning, you can say you didn’t give up on them.

• southcentralkycat
      4:16 pm December 16, 2015 Permalink

If you look at the history of the Patriots franchise, they were a doormat for years before they played the Bears in the SB and got drilled. They didn’t get better until Parcells then finally over the hump and now the dynasty which they currently are sustaining with Brady and Bill. Not saying UK can obtain the same status, but the true Patriot fans were there when the Pats were getting drilled. Now they are winning they’ve obviously picked up several band-wagon fans. We will be the same. A guy asked my then 10 year old son at the 2013 UT game, “So you are a UK football fan?” and my son replied, “Yes, I like it better than UK basketball!” He then told my son, “Well it’s harder to be a football fan.” I agree. It’s easier to be the fan of a winner, but the truest fans support their team win or lose. Maybe Stoops can make it easier on all of us eventually. If not, UK football will have at least 2 fans.

12. Long Dong Silver
    3:20 pm December 16, 2015 Permalink

Sounds like the lyrics of a cheesy 80s power ballad.

• dean winchester
      3:30 pm December 16, 2015 Permalink

While I dont normally agree with your opinions, that was too funny. Maybe Europe can sing it….or Survivor…..

• RealCatsFan
      4:02 pm December 16, 2015 Permalink

Sounds like an REO Speedwagon ballad when they went soft in the 80’s.

13. BobNWeaver
    3:37 pm December 16, 2015 Permalink

As long as Stoops can continue recruiting at an SEC-appropriate level, good things will happen.

14. Sentient Third Eye
    4:00 pm December 16, 2015 Permalink

Stoops is right that the Cats need to make those extra plays to get that extra yard or make that extra pass. That really was the difference between success and failure each of the last two seasons. For most of the teams in the SEC this year, a handful of those kinds of plays was the difference between 4 wins and 8. That’s just life in the SEC.

15. Smyrna_Cat
    4:14 pm December 16, 2015 Permalink

I think we need to have Stoops show us results … and I am not talking about number of wins. This past year, at times the team looked incredible disorganized. That is on the coaches. If we need to get a special teams coach, and a QB coach, then do it. Also, as the year went along, it looked like we got worse, not better. Where other teams made adjustments, we didn’t. Again, that is on the coaches. Our recruiting is getting better … kudos to the coaches on that. Personally, I think the OC needs to go. Our play calling was horrible. “Yeah, that looked stupid, and it was, but wouldn’t that have been cool if it worked?” Uhh … no. That isn’t the approach you want to take when calling plays.

So, bottom line for me, this coaching staff has to be more organized, more creative, more aggressive, and more productive. If we can do that, and continue to recruit, the wins will follow. I think this staff has one year to show improvement.

16. dean winchester
    4:31 pm December 16, 2015 Permalink

I think he hires a qb coach and special teams. Not exactly what i think we need 100%, but it would help if those areas are shored up. I wouod think oc is gone but he said after loserville he had confidence in dawson. Idk….i just hope whatever happens we get better.

17. Brkcat24
    4:44 pm December 16, 2015 Permalink

Accountability is what we need to see from Stoops, these kids are receiving one heck of a benefit to play football at this school, if your not going to put in 100% all the time, scholarship can and should be pulled.

18. KTower
    6:04 pm December 16, 2015 Permalink

Kentucky Fan should consider themselves to be very fortunate that Kentucky has Mark Stoops leading the program.

Face the facts this program was a train wreck when Joker was finally shown the door.

The entire roster with the exception of a handful of players had to be recruited and thrown to the wolves to play in the SEC.

This will take time and the fans need to show Stoops some grace and let him run this program.