Stoops: Matt Elam will be a “significant contributor”

Screen Shot 2015-08-12 at 12.27.49 PM

Matt Elam fans, you got some big news this morning:

After today’s practice, Mark Stoops said he expects Elam to be a big help at nose tackle in his sophomore season for Kentucky’s defense.

Stoops told reporters, “Elam is doing better and better. He’ll be a significant contributor.”

Elam will grow better in time as he sees more reps and works on his quickness off the line. He’s already a handful for opposing centers and guards; he just needs to catch up to the speed of the SEC game.

“How would you like to be a center and line up with him?” Stoops asked, when talking about Elam’s presence in the middle.

More from football practice on the way…

Article written by Drew Franklin

7 Comments for Stoops: Matt Elam will be a “significant contributor”

1. nybrasky
    1:00 pm August 12, 2015 Permalink

His facemask cracks me up. I hope he goes even smaller this year.

2. Stephen
    1:20 pm August 12, 2015 Permalink

Is there any way to see an updated side-by-side photo of Soph. Elam vs. Fresh. Elam? Has the high-performance program changed his overall appearance? Is he one of those working with Monica Fowler regularly?

I realize that he is built like a refrigerator, but a physical transformation will really benefit his ability to play at the next level.

• @BallBlog_Chad
      1:51 pm August 12, 2015 Permalink

they said when he arrived he was 395 and now he’s at 360 … that looks good, but would look better if it also said he’s increased his squat and bench by __#s … either way, progress is progress

3. Andy
    1:40 pm August 12, 2015 Permalink

I guess he pancaked a few OL men?

4. binarysolo
    2:00 pm August 12, 2015 Permalink

Is KSR gonna mention Jared Lorenzen reaching out to the Jets? “I already look great in green.”

5. Blue_denim
    2:01 pm August 12, 2015 Permalink

I saw Matt Elam at Wendy’s. He is hugemongus…I asked him if he was excited about this season and he told me they were going to win every game. I said I hope so but really I just want to beat Florida, Tenn and UL. He said “alright” and turned away from me.