Stoops loves the challenge, wouldn’t want to be anywhere else

stoops

This quote from Mark Stoops at the end of this morning’s interview should keep you fired up about Kentucky football, despite the somewhat disappointing start to the 2013 season.

Give it a read, head-butt a fellow fan, and I’ll have the audio up shortly:

“Listen, I know the situation, exactly what we’re in right here, and I embrace it — and our players embrace it.  We’re going to work our tails off to get this thing done. Nobody every said when it was going to happen — and I’m still not saying when or where or how and I’m not making any excuses — but I love it. I love the challenge of it. I love the way things are going. Our players and our coaches are working extremely hard and I love the situation we’re in and I wouldn’t want to be anywhere else but here right now, trying to get this program turned around.”

“We’re going to keep on banging that door down, and believe me, sooner or later, we’re going to knock it down.”

Go Cats.

Article written by Drew Franklin

9 Comments for Stoops loves the challenge, wouldn’t want to be anywhere else

1. StoopsTroops
    11:52 am September 18, 2013 Permalink

StoopsTroops.

2. Read between the lines
    11:58 am September 18, 2013 Permalink

“I wouldn’t want to be anywhere else but here right now” …..but wait until I can show a little improvement and somebody throws me some big $$’s, then it’s adios to the big blue. Anybody know what brilliant Mitch’s negotiated buyout for Stoops is? Strong’s is $5 million this year. Stoops’ buyout is roughly $5 million less than that.

3. amirite
    12:04 pm September 18, 2013 Permalink

what’d you expect him to say?
    “oh man i’d love to be at Texas guys you have no freakin’ idea”

4. Read between the lines
    12:21 pm September 18, 2013 Permalink

#3 no, that would the answer to “hey Coach Stoops, what do you think of this job looking at the rest of this season’s schedule?”

5. Linda Taylor
    12:22 pm September 18, 2013 Permalink

2 – What was Strong’s buyout in his first year as a head coach at UL? That is what you have to compare it to, not what his buyout is after winning a BCS bowl game against Florida. You have to compare apples to apples. Mitch has said UK has the money to keep Stoops if all goes according to plan and Stoops is as successful as we all hope he will be. He also has said that they will be willing to spend that money to keep him if he is as successful as we all hope he will be. Personally I think we have an excellent chance of keeping Stoops for a myriad of reasons. You are just a Mitch Barnhart hater. Dismissed.

6. Georgia Blue
    1:59 pm September 18, 2013 Permalink

Where are the positive Fans. Where are the positive UK WRITERS. When Stoop talks , he talks about the team getting better and the coaches. When he answered the question about fumble , he said it was a combination of both. He didn’t blame a individual . It’s all about the team and its not about his recruits or Jokers recruits like some writers and fans. So quit trying to divide this team as STOOPS RECRUITS and JOKERS RECRUITS. Quit saying our QB want finish the season because he will get hurt. We should be saying Positive Things to clear this Dark Cloud that has been over this program for so long. If you can’t say nothing nice don’t say anything at all. STOOPS is doing a WONDERFUL JOB in getting these Players that as long as you continue to work hard and get better . Good things are going to happen. So as Fans , we need show the PLAYERS THAT WE BELIEVE IN THEM. Changes Are Coming

7. Lucky
    2:55 pm September 18, 2013 Permalink

I believe we are lucky to have this guy. Yes, he engages is “coach speak” and says “all the right things” but from what I have seen, I think he means what he says and he understands what needs to be done to succeed. Some people like to be challenged and I believe Coach Stoops want to make UK a winner and SEC contender. I believe he will make it happen. His first 1 and 1/2 recruiting classes have gone a long way toward that goal. Add one more and two years of experience and look out 2015. Oh, I think the Cats will be bowling in 2014 and may pull off a surprise or two before this season is over. I am very positive about Coach Stoops and very thankful to have him. I also am thankful UK did not hire Bobby Petrino.

8. Sammydog
    3:05 pm September 18, 2013 Permalink

Louisville may be cashing in on that buyout sooner than they think. Several big time programs may be looking at him after the season…Texas and Florida come to mind, possibly LSU. Tennessee not good enough to snag him.

9. GRob
    6:46 pm September 18, 2013 Permalink

Strong…is not that great. Sorry. He’s been the benefactor of weak schedules and a not-so-above board recruiting coordinator. He squeaked by a lot of bad teams last year. Not that impressed. Give us two years and we’ll run his a$$ into the ground. I hope he stays at UL for a long time.