Stoops: Kentucky should have gone to Lynn Bowden sooner

© Jeff Blake | USATSI

© Jeff Blake | USATSI

A lot of things went wrong in Kentucky’s 24-7 loss to South Carolina, but Sawyer Smith’s injured shoulder didn’t help. Smith was 11-32 for 90 yards, zero touchdowns, and an interception vs. the Gamecocks, numbers that don’t really do a poor performance justice. Late in the fourth quarter, Mark Stoops finally pulled Smith for Lynn Bowden, a move he admitted afterwards he should have made sooner.

“Rough day offensively. Sawyer is giving us everything he can. He’s banged up. He’s banged up. We don’t need to make excuses — there are no excuses. We all need to do a better job and we need to get some guys healthy. Maybe should have went to Lynn [Bowden] maybe earlier. I know everybody’s going to ask that. I don’t know if it was worth a shot because we certainly did struggle moving the football and Sawyer has to heal up and hopefully he will. Gotta get some things checked out on him during this bye week.”

Will the bye week be enough for Smith to heal up?

“I hope so. I hope so. I don’t know. He definitely will not throw for a solid week. But I’m no doctor, so I shouldn’t pretend to be. I do what they tell me to do.”

Interestingly, Stoops said Smith is battling not one, but two injuries, presumably his shoulder and the wrist he hurt vs. Florida.

“I don’t think there’s any question that our team has great respect for him and he’s fighting his way through two injuries,” Stoops said. “I know our team appreciates what he’s doing. I know our doctors will keep him safe. If he can play, he can play. If he can’t, he can’t. They make those decisions.”

Even though Kentucky went to Bowden instead of Walker Wood when Smith came out, Stoops said he still believes in his backup.

“We have confidence in Walker. Walker’s gone through a lot of injuries. It’s going to be tough on any option at that point. You start getting down into the three, the four — I love Walker, he gives it everything he has. He’s gone through two shoulder surgeries himself.”

Thank goodness for the bye week.

32 Comments for Stoops: Kentucky should have gone to Lynn Bowden sooner

1. Ridge Runner
    11:53 pm September 28, 2019 Permalink

My head hurts…

2. CopenhagenCat
    11:58 pm September 28, 2019 Permalink

Horse crap. Excuses , Excuses. Ok Smith is hurt . So what about the Defense? What about Rose and Smoke? Other teams have no problem scoring but U.K. always finds excuses. It’s poor play calling and lack of effort.

• east-ky-boy
      12:09 am September 29, 2019 Permalink

I agree

• trumpetguy
      12:16 am September 29, 2019 Permalink

CC, on the bright side (as Steve Spurrier once said) “Kentucky seems to have a solid punter!” Max Duffy may be in for a successful NFL career at this rate……..

• bacnine
      7:26 am September 29, 2019 Permalink

It’s time Barnyard gives Stoops another contract extension and a $500K raise.

• catsarerunnin
      7:36 am September 29, 2019 Permalink

You’ve said that on every thread. Give it a rest or come up with some new material.

3. Wade
    11:59 pm September 28, 2019 Permalink

Think that’s best and let sawyer come in for 20 snaps and throw a dozen. We need to have fun ,run the ball ,and get it in playmakers hands. We need an identity and it’s up to stoops to find it and now! Can Lynn throw it is my q? And are the running backs ready to take the load! We need to be better on 3rd down and start owning top.

4. Smyrna_Cat
    12:04 am September 29, 2019 Permalink

It is too easy to talk AFTER the game about what they should have done.

5. Smyrna_Cat
    12:05 am September 29, 2019 Permalink

I thought the D actually played well given how much help they got from the O.

6. ScoggDog
    12:08 am September 29, 2019 Permalink

We can’t question 10-3 !!! 10-3 !!!

Last season is going to do the same thing to UK Football, long term, that ’98 did to UK Basketball.

• notFromhere
      5:48 am September 29, 2019 Permalink

Stfu and sit down.

• Skooms
      9:34 am September 29, 2019 Permalink

Oh really? Dude Tubby won with Pitinos players and then failed to EVER go back to the F4. Stoops won with HIS team and recruits. Stoops, unlike Tubby can and will get us back to a 10+ win season again. I don’t think it’ll ever be the “norm”, but it’ll happen every few years. We should have a TON of depth back next season.

7. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    12:09 am September 29, 2019 Permalink

YA THINK???

8. runningunnin.454
    12:16 am September 29, 2019 Permalink

It’s simple, really. The coaches quit on the team in the Florida game; now, the team has quit on the coaches.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      12:26 am September 29, 2019 Permalink

I’m afraid you’re right, and that’s quite the bitter pill to swallow. Later guys, I’m going to bed.

Still, CATS!!!

9. DelrayCat
    12:17 am September 29, 2019 Permalink

It’s like that year UK ended the Tennessee streak with Matt Roark at QB. You’ve pretty much mailed it in for the season when you start playing your wide receiver at QB.

10. sportsbird66
    12:18 am September 29, 2019 Permalink

Stoops always says he should had done something sooner. Is 4 million a year not enough to make you get your head out of your [email protected]@ coach?!

11. Smyrna_Cat
    1:16 am September 29, 2019 Permalink

Then why didn’t you, Coach? Every UK fan knew that. What did the coaches not see this? This isn’t rocket science.

12. Fat-so
    5:25 am September 29, 2019 Permalink

Damn, some of y’all are just assholes! If y’all ready to go on to basketball ? already, then go on. I wouldn’t even waste my time to watch it 5 games to decide if we win enough games you might stick around and be a “real fan” for the whole season, but if we’re just a 2-3 team thru 5 games then you’re ready for basketball! Haha, shit I wouldn’t even act like a fan! We’re still 2-3 (0-3), not 0-5 and I agree wholeheartedly that last night was about as ugly as it could possibly get! We sucked on both sides of the ball but Sawyer doesn’t even look like the same dude who started in the Florida game! He does look like he is really overwhelmed but whether it’s that, or whether he really is just banged up like Stoops said he doesn’t say anything negative about his guy and I like that. Plus Stoops acknowledged that he is aware of the problem and should have done something different though and so give him time. I’ll admit I didn’t think we was gonna miss T. Wilson an awful lot til tonight and I was wrong! I feel stupid now for even thinking we wouldn’t miss him just a lil bit! Then of course on “D” we was all out of sorts! Hellfire, we gotta go back to the basics and learn how to tackle. I’d hate to even know the number of missed tackles we had! Terrible! Hopefully after this much needed bye week we will come back and see something click and string a few wins together or at least look like we are capable of it!

• Fat-so
      5:29 am September 29, 2019 Permalink

I apologize for all the typos!

• notFromhere
      5:51 am September 29, 2019 Permalink

Great post, typos or not. I wish the bandwagoners would move on to basketball and take the bichy whiners with them.

13. notFromhere
    6:01 am September 29, 2019 Permalink

The team hasn’t given up on anyone. This is what happens when you lose your starter before the backup has taken a snap with the ones. This is why you get your backup some game reps in the first 2 games.

Why fixate on one quote from Stoops?

Woulda coulda shoulda. Of course after a loss a coach is going to wonder if they should’ve tried something else sooner. It’s a stupid and lazy question that gets an obvious answer.

They’re not even used to Smith’s cadence as an offense and he’s hurt. Gutting it out with a bad wing is a bad idea, but you give it a shot because Bowden at WR is such a weapon. Common sense

Chris Rod is the guy that should’ve been in the game more. Maybe try Tisdale in ths slot WR position with Bowden at QB. He hasnt gotten a snap yet, so they have 4 games left to use him this year (Tisdale) without losing his redshirt.

Could be 4-1 or 5-? with Terry healthy, but it wasnt meant to be. Gotta find another DTQB as good or better than Wilson in the next class or 2 that can be groomed to play the position. Need to get Wood and Gilmore some reps with the ones this year also.

14. BluKudzu
    6:48 am September 29, 2019 Permalink

“I think we could have used Bowden earlier.”

4 million for that?

Look at the bright side. Only 7 beatdowns left.

Go Cats.

15. dave1964
    7:49 am September 29, 2019 Permalink

Just think there were a few fans worried that another college would try and steal stoops away couldn’t give him away at this point. Stoops is full of excuses this team was not ready there were so many missed tackles didn’t take long to become the joke of the SEC again.

16. kjd
    8:16 am September 29, 2019 Permalink

Coaches have lost this team.
    Will be ugly for the remainder.

17. KYJelly
    11:20 am September 29, 2019 Permalink

It’s fine going to Lynn, but then you lose your best receiver. Stoops should’ve used the end of the game to see what he had in Walker Wood.

18. season-3-disc-2
    12:35 pm September 29, 2019 Permalink

It’s Basketball time in the bluegrass.

19. UK triplelegacy
    4:22 pm September 29, 2019 Permalink

Lynn Bowden’s skill set as a QB appears to be similar to Stephen Johnson’s (SJ) and Terry Wilson’s (TW). Quick if run is open, decent enough arm to spred the defense. Therefore could more of this year’s TW offense be kept with Bowden at the controls? Protecting Bowden will be an issue like it was with SJ and TW. And, is Bowden a leader who the team will respect and rally around?