Stoops: “I will be more active with playcalling”

Stoops-practice-4

Mark Stoops kept it short and sweet in his final media appearance of the week. He mentioned having our good buddy Matthew Bradford speak to the team at the conclusion of today’s practice, to which he said, “It’s a real honor to have heroes like that here, along with the police and firefighters we had this week.”

He then talked a little about making plays, executing, communicating and “being fundamentally sound.”

Lastly, Stoops took a question from Jen Smith of The Herald-Leader, who asked if there will be any changes to game day prep.

“Not on game day,” he said. “We did some different things this week that I already addressed, but on the game day itself, nothing different. With the exception of — I will be more active with play calling.

And that was it.

Now let’s kick this thing off in a little under 48 hours.

Article written by Drew Franklin

11 Comments for Stoops: “I will be more active with playcalling”

1. Bluegrass79
    6:02 pm September 15, 2016 Permalink

If your going to go down then go down calling your own damn plays! That’s what a wise man would do.

• InigoMontoya
      9:11 pm September 15, 2016 Permalink

I was going to say the same thing. Well spoken, BG79.

2. Big Blue Shawn
    6:17 pm September 15, 2016 Permalink

Stoops can beat any team left on our schedule. All you have to do is BO-lieve.

3. bosshogg24
    6:23 pm September 15, 2016 Permalink

UK coaches have never understood that when you are UK you have to be unpredictable and surprise people. Everybody watching can’t know what you are going to run on the next play. UK must open up and play wide open because they don’t have the talent of other teams!

4. az1006
    6:32 pm September 15, 2016 Permalink

I’m fairly certain Joker used to say the same thing…Then we’d still see a 2-yard slant or bubble screen on 3rd and 8.

Anything short of a blowout win on Saturday may as well be a loss.

5. AllBall
    6:52 pm September 15, 2016 Permalink

Stoops ia worse than a politician trying to separate himself from the negative backlash. By saying he will be more proactive calling plays on both sides of the ball this week it sets Stoops up to look good. He knows we SHOULD win Saturday and this can now be attributed to him. What a load of crap.

6. inside info2
    8:43 pm September 15, 2016 Permalink

Is it normal for a former DC to call plays for the offense?

7. Big Blue Shawn
    10:14 pm September 15, 2016 Permalink

Poops needs to be flushed after the season.

8. W1ldCats4Life
    9:03 am September 16, 2016 Permalink

So 2 games into the new OC and OC2 first season at UK and the HC is already taking control of play calling? Wasn’t that the BIG thing when hiring Gran? He’s going to run the offense I won’t have any part of it, he’s experienced and has all the knowledge…pretty sure I remember Stoops making that claim.

I’m a Stoops fan, but I REALLY hope his comment was he’s going to be calling defensive plays. The offense just needs to go back to what they did the first 2 quarters against SMiss and kep doing that. Offense has been poor execution more than poor play calling IMO.

9. Ichabod24
    9:56 am September 16, 2016 Permalink

I would hate to have to be the press and listen to Stoops says the same old sh*t over and over, year after year!! I know, as a fan, I’ve deemed it pointless to even read what he says in a press conference. Same old tired BS. “We gotta get back to work”, “I’m going to be more involved in the play calling”, “We’ve had a great week of practice” ….blah, blah, blah…ad nauseam!!

Serious question…..Who thinks it’s better if Stoops gets more involved in the play calling?!?! Not me! He has proven time and time again that he can’t properly prepare a team to play football. What a joke UK football has become!

10. Calskats1
    6:36 pm September 16, 2016 Permalink

Why is everyone assuming this means offensive play calling? He mentioned earlier this week he is going to take a more hands on approach to defense. So in today’s press conference he basically says the same thing, but replaces defense with play calling. Easy to jump to conclusions that that means offense, but defense has plays too.