Mandatory Credit: Jay Biggerstaff-USA TODAY Sports

Jay Biggerstaff | USA Today

Mark Stoops entered the SEC Teleconference without an update on Terry Wilson. The Kentucky quarterback has missed the first two practices of the week with a minor hand injury. Stoops did add that the injury occurred last Saturday at Missouri.

Moving forward with or without Wilson, Stoops is ready to put the 20-10 loss to Missouri in the rearview mirror. Hindsight is 20-20, but even before the game coaches recognized something wasn’t right about the players’ preparation.

“Everybody wants to win on Saturday. It’s about how you win on Monday, Tuesday and so on. We talk about that with our preparation and it’s a credit to Missouri,” Stoops said. “We did not match their intensity and it begins and ends with me getting the team ready to play. When you play Kentucky, I want you to play an energetic, tough, physical team. We may win, we may lose but we’re going to play the game the right way and I don’t feel like we did on Saturday and that’s a disappointment. That’s a direct reflection of myself.”

“Our players are intelligent. They know what’s going on. They realize what’s happening. They care. I expect us to get it rectified.”

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

22 Comments for Stoops has no Terry Wilson update on SEC Teleconference as he prepares team to rectify Missouri loss

1. Pensacola_Cat_Fan
    1:40 pm October 28, 2020 Permalink

They didn’t seem to care last Saturday so not sure why they would this week.

• dcforuk
      4:45 pm October 28, 2020 Permalink

I have good days and bad days! What about you?

• Pensacola_Cat_Fan
      6:51 pm October 28, 2020 Permalink

Nope, I’m always on the top of my game.

• dcforuk
      7:41 pm October 28, 2020 Permalink

Yes, then I have some ocean front property to sell you in Arizona, too!

2. blueballs80
    2:07 pm October 28, 2020 Permalink

So what was it last week. Why was there no energy? This league has a very small margin of error so this kinda shit cannot happen when you have seniors and a lot of players returning.

3. Ryan Lemonds Toupee
    2:27 pm October 28, 2020 Permalink

That’s some weak leadership from Stoops

• dcforuk
      8:33 pm October 28, 2020 Permalink

Some would say owning your inability to have your team prepared is good leadership, but maybe not for “perfect Pensacola people” who are ALWAYS on top of their game. The egg they laid was clearly a problem and not acceptable. Stoops’ acknowledgement of that and that the problem is squarely on his shoulders buys him a little longer leash. I would, however, much rather be 3-2 or even 4-1 than 2-3 daggum it!

4. Wade
    2:40 pm October 28, 2020 Permalink

I understand letting Wilson play. He has beat fl and tn at their house. Bowl wins Broke records. Love the kid. But he’s not in it and we don’t owe him anything. We need a qb. He’s done what he’s done and time to move on. He’s not in it , time to personally give sawyer and jg a chance. Allen will be there next yr and no reason to rush him in. I personally want to see sawyer bc that kid was ballin imo before the injury and showed he’s tough as nails. I’d give him a shot he knows the system and can make the throws. Not sure why he’s not getting a shot. All are on a short leash but I think he’s a great option right now to split time with jg and figure it out the next couple games. Let one go take the job.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:34 pm October 28, 2020 Permalink

“HE” did not beat them. UK did. I like Terry, but the 2018 team revolved around Benny and Josh. He definitely was a big factor against UF. However, although the QB is the most important position, it is not the same as a pitcher in baseball IMO.

5. BobbyBlue
    3:14 pm October 28, 2020 Permalink

I have to wonder if the fact that Coach Schlarman was not well enough to accompany the team and the late stage of his cancer, didn’t have a great effect on the team. I mean for everybody to be lifeless at once— just sayin !

• Pensacola_Cat_Fan
      3:55 pm October 28, 2020 Permalink

Um, no. I keep hearing this and there’s no way the team was down because the health of a coach.

• Middy
      8:12 pm October 28, 2020 Permalink

Of course you would think that…. you’re always on top of you’re game… even when a close friend and mentor is near death. It’s not the reason they lost, but you have to be pretty callous to think it had no effect.

• dcforuk
      4:48 pm October 28, 2020 Permalink

Hmm! Maybe. “No way” IMO is too strong an opinion. What else could have contributed? Coming down from the high of the UT win? They just had a bad day? Laziness? I tend to put it on a mix of reasons……the cumulative effect of several, one being coach John.

6. jaws2
    4:04 pm October 28, 2020 Permalink

Getting a team ready IS the head coaches responsibility; PERIOD.
    Stoops will start Wilson because he’s too loyal to be a head coach.
    He’ll put Wilson ahead of the team because he’s a nice kid and hung around to play.
    I’m sure lardas* will also be standing on the sidelines in his BLACK shirt as well. UK colors are BLUE and WHITE period. He makes me sick every time he wears that crap. What, the guy can’t wear the school colors? Can anyone picture Saban standing on the sidelines in a NON school colored outfit? NO FRIGGIN WAY!

• dcforuk
      4:49 pm October 28, 2020 Permalink

Agreed and Coach said as much.

• Natureboy42
      5:14 pm October 28, 2020 Permalink

Wow the no way it was coach Schlarman people are you serious. What that guy means to the o-line and the rest of the team. They all love that guy he’s part of the family. If you all think a bunch of 18 to 22-year-old kids don’t look up to him as a father figure you really don’t have a clue. Is that the only reason I lost no but it has to have some effect on all those guys.

7. WKY Cat
    4:54 pm October 28, 2020 Permalink

Did anyone see Wilson get hurt in the last game? I didn’t. I don’t remember any post game info on him getting hurt. I’m starting to think Stoops is covering for him.

8. blueblood80
    7:07 pm October 28, 2020 Permalink

TW is not the player from two years ago. Half a step slow and poor decisions on the run pass option. With a newborn, I don’t blame an opt out. He will never make a dollar playing football. Get that degree and be a great father Terry. This is just a college football game that we fans just try and get a little enjoyment and pride from. Unfortunately, this year is a disappointment. I hope the team doesn’t quit, like Tennessee did.
    THANKS Terry Wilson. At least I got to witness in person the biggest football accomplishment in over 40 years: a 27-24 victory over Penn State in the 2018 VRBO Citrus Bowl!

• dcforuk
      8:25 pm October 28, 2020 Permalink

The Penn St win was a great win! Exciting game and a W against a blue blood. The Florida victory was also great as was the Tennessee victory, both breaking miserable streaks! Being wide open from three doesn’t guaranty a made 3 Pt FG and neither does bringing a team of equal ability into Knoxville. Terry was wide open from three and unlike 17 previous QBs (or at least some of them on UK football teams able to compete against UT in Knoxville) competing UK teams), including himself two years ago, he made the open three this year. Seems like a small thing to make an open three but not if you have missed 17 in a row from three!!!

9. BowdenQB4ever
    12:03 am October 29, 2020 Permalink

“ To ensure it doesn’t happen again, Kentucky’s coaching staff has brought extra juice to this week’s practice. It’s not artificial. There’s nothing fake about the enthusiasm. The Wildcats are mad, ready to make amends for the Missouri loss against Georgia.”

Nick, save what’s left of your dignity and stop covering for this guy so shamelessly. If he knew they were going to come out flat like he said did, and he knows how to correct that during the week like he now says he does, he would have done it last week too. If we’re taking him at his word on this, he knew the team was uninterested last week AND knew how to solve that, but decided he would wait until this week to change anything. He’s being paid $500k/game and he just decided to let last week slide?

10. itsfootballtimeinthebluegrass