Stoops focused on Tennessee, not the Florida State job

As expected, Mark Stoops was asked about the Florida State job opening following Willie Taggart’s firing yesterday. Also as expected, he told reporters he is only worried about Tennessee, Kentucky’s next opponent, right now.

“It’s something that you don’t really want to address in season,” Stoops said of speculation he is a candidate for the job. “There’s, you know — I guess it’s better than the alternative. For us, for myself, it’s 100% concentration on Tennessee. That’s all I want. That’s all I want our team to focus on. That’s all you can do.

“I guess with success, you’re going to have some of that. For me, sitting around here, this is six and a half years. I sit there listening to Coach Cal and every year, he’s going to the NBA right? So you just dismiss it and concentrate on the things you can control and not going to get into speculation. I’m going to talk about the University of Kentucky and Tennessee.”

Later in the press conference, Stoops said he doesn’t feel the need to address the issue with his players.

“No need to address that. Our players know where my heart’s at and where my focus is. I can promise you, they’ll know. We’ll be ready to play this week and be ready to go. There’s no denying that. There’s no need to. We’ll just continue to do what we’re doing.”

Good answer, but that won’t do anything to stop the rumor mill from churning. Where the rumor mill could have the greatest impact is on the recruiting front. Stoops is well aware of its significance, yet he’s not concerned about any long-term consequences.

“It probably affects that a little bit more in that just what goes on in this world and social media. I don’t mean to be so old that I can’t understand it, but it’s just a little absurd how fast things go. People like to get out in front of their skis really far in that world. It just needs to be addressed, but nothing we can’t handle. I think that’s a fair assessment in recruiting, more so than anything else, because I can promise you the guys in our building, they’re not going to worry about anything except for getting ready for Tennessee.”

The press conference concluded after Stoops was asked what’s important to him when evaluating where he wants to spend the rest of his life coaching.

“That’s a pretty deep question,” he said. “There’s a lot of things that factor into that. We don’t have enough time for me to dive into all of that right now, but certainly support, quality of life, what you’re doing. There’s things that are important to me that what people perceive as an easier job or a better job — we always as coaches have a great perspective with my family of looking at things and doing what’s right for you and your family.”

44 Comments for Stoops focused on Tennessee, not the Florida State job

1. gasman01
    12:24 pm November 4, 2019 Permalink

Well, that answer doesn’t get it unless he’s wanting the job. An answer if I have no interest in the job would have stopped the rumors. He just threw gasoline on them.

• StillBP
      12:27 pm November 4, 2019 Permalink

It would be foolish to not listen to an offer if they were to present him one. Even if he doesn’t want it, an offer would prob secure more money to stay. I’d rather him say this than “I’m not interested” and then he get an offer he feels he can’t refuse and bolt.

• tdub
      5:07 pm November 4, 2019 Permalink

I agree

• satcheluk
      7:10 am November 5, 2019 Permalink

You agree with whom? There are two comments above yours saying basically opposite things.

• cats646
      8:51 am November 5, 2019 Permalink

Lol

2. mothandras
    12:31 pm November 4, 2019 Permalink

He’s interested, they are possibly interested.. Stoops is going to be saying “Show me the Money!!!” to both parties for the rest of the year. The only good thing short term for us is that Stoops needs to finish the season strong and go to a bowl game to keep FSU’s interest peaked. If we go 6-6 and don’t go bowling I think FSU decides to look elsewhere.

• satcheluk
      7:11 am November 5, 2019 Permalink

FSU will have a coach hired long before we play a bow game.

3. Ned T.
    12:34 pm November 4, 2019 Permalink

A reasonable offer from FSU and he takes it.

4. Duuuuuude
    12:48 pm November 4, 2019 Permalink

God bless him. We have been blessed to have him through this enormous rebuild process. He has done so in a way that has made us all proud, unlike the way it was done up I-64. We don’t want a coach that nobody else wants, so this is exactly what we should all want. I hope he stays. If he does, they will be building statues for him here some day.

5. My Dixie Wrecked
    12:50 pm November 4, 2019 Permalink

Why wouldn’t he be interested? FSU is a destination school, not a stepping stone school. If you can’t recruit at FSU, you have a problem. He would have repeated shots at the CFP there.

• uknowino
      1:46 pm November 4, 2019 Permalink

So who is on Kentuckys short list ?

• My Dixie Wrecked
      2:00 pm November 4, 2019 Permalink

Neal Brown? Some OC or DC somewhere? Let’s face it, UK would be looking at an OC or DC at a big program or existing Head Coach at a small program.

• bbn606
      2:04 pm November 4, 2019 Permalink

I have no idea but P J Fleck is the hottest young coach out there.

• runningunnin.454
      6:11 pm November 4, 2019 Permalink

We could steal another coach from Memphis; they’re 8-1.

• JASUN74
      7:19 pm November 4, 2019 Permalink

Running, that’s exactly who I’d want if Stoops doesn’t want to be here anymore. I’d love to keep him though and we need to try hard to keep him at Kentucky. If we absolutely can’t hold on to him, I’d love to travel to Memphis and open u the check book. Lol

6. mofocatfan
    1:01 pm November 4, 2019 Permalink

I Saw Stoops at prism steakhouse at Jack Casino in Cincinnati Saturday night. Possible meeting with Florida State?

• CayutsBy90
      3:51 pm November 4, 2019 Permalink

I saw the same and can confirm this

• mashburnfan1
      4:59 pm November 4, 2019 Permalink

Or may have been having dinner? Was at High School game in Lex Fri night, may have gone to Cincy to see someone Saturday. We do recruit that area heavy, why do people try to start rumors?

• makeitstop
      7:07 pm November 4, 2019 Permalink

Mash ur better than that, ur responding to the same person logged in as two people. Pathetic that is what passes for entertainment in their empty, meaningless life but it is what it is.

• mofocatfan
      7:58 pm November 4, 2019 Permalink

You are a fool! And obviously have no idea what you are talking about!

7. Rick_S
    1:27 pm November 4, 2019 Permalink

He gone if they want him

• mashburnfan1
      5:00 pm November 4, 2019 Permalink

People said same thing 2 years ago

8. gasman01
    1:41 pm November 4, 2019 Permalink

Wonder what he tells the recruits who are waiting to sign L.O.I’s??

9. CombatMedic_98
    1:41 pm November 4, 2019 Permalink

KSR are drama Queens…

10. cats646
    1:42 pm November 4, 2019 Permalink

This answer didn’t make me feel any better. I’ll throw up if he leaves! Best thing to happen to our school since Bear Bryant!
    Please stay coach Stoops!!

11. bbn606
    2:03 pm November 4, 2019 Permalink

That is exactly what every Coach says when they are interested in the job.

12. maximumscott
    2:04 pm November 4, 2019 Permalink

Remember Cal listened to UCLA…

13. maximumscott
    2:06 pm November 4, 2019 Permalink

If Stoops left Kentucky is in a much better position to get a good coach than before Stoops. Probably a DC or OC with significant experience on a big time program school

14. cats646
    2:12 pm November 4, 2019 Permalink

Mitch… open up that checkbook and pay this man whatever he wants to keep him here!

15. az1006
    2:29 pm November 4, 2019 Permalink

I don’t how strong Florida State’s interest would be in Stoops, at least initially…I think they’ll go after a couple of different names first, and if they miss, could get to Stoops on down the line. But, I honestly don’t think it’ll get to that point. I think we’ll ultimately see a press conference with Mitch and Stoops announcing a long-term extension sooner rather than later. Barnhart will go to bat to keep his guy, and I think he’ll ultimately stay.

• makeitstop
      7:09 pm November 4, 2019 Permalink

Yea who have we lost that we wanted to keep since Mitch got here?

16. lewisgr
    2:39 pm November 4, 2019 Permalink

If Stoops should leave, throw a big number at Vince Marrow to take the head coaching job. He has as much experience as Stoops had before coming to UK, and is a great, great recruiter. He could probably keep several of the current assistants as well. The players would play their hearts out for him.

17. TonyMontana
    2:55 pm November 4, 2019 Permalink

Insert panic emoji

18. livingood4UK
    3:00 pm November 4, 2019 Permalink

I’m calling it now…Stoops stays

• cats646
      3:23 pm November 4, 2019 Permalink

God I hope you’re right. I’m no joke worried sick over this.

19. runningunnin.454
    3:30 pm November 4, 2019 Permalink

Y’all can’t read between the lines; he’s holding out for an NFL gig.

20. jaws2
    4:41 pm November 4, 2019 Permalink

I am absolutely not a huge Stoops guy, but from what he inherited here and being in the SEC, he’s done a remarkable job. To think otherwise is just ridiculous. He’s not going to take a step back by inheriting another dumpster fire AND be in the ACC vs. the SEC. It’s just no going to happen.

• mashburnfan1
      5:02 pm November 4, 2019 Permalink

FSU can be turned around much quicker that UK because of tradition and easier Conf. That said I don’t think he leaves for anywhere except OSU or NFL and no way an NFL team would want him at this point, maybe in a few years.

• cats646
      8:54 am November 5, 2019 Permalink

I’m curious why you’re not a huge Stoops guy if you think he’s done a remarkable job?

• jaws2
      4:29 pm November 5, 2019 Permalink

Easy, because I think he’s given away a few games due to ineptness and lost games where we were definitely the better team. Florida, Vandy, and TN just as an example But, the turnaround he’s done with the program OVERALL has been remarkable. I don’t have to be happy with the style of play nor the staff in order to support UK football. I’ve done it for 50 years.

21. UKCatAttack
    5:33 pm November 4, 2019 Permalink

Unless he has a really good relationship with the FSU AD I don’t think he has a strong enough resume for FSU. FSU is looking to win championships. 7and even 10 win seasons aren’t going to cut it there. He hasn’t proven he can win at an elite level yet. Now if we make a CFP appearance in a couple of years or knock off a Georgia, LSU or Alabama all bets are off. So far we have fed on cupcakes and struggling SEC teams. Stoops has yet to beat one of the elite teams.

• makeitstop
      7:16 pm November 4, 2019 Permalink

Ummmm they hired Willie Taggart? Jumbo left for a reason. And have u ever BEEN to Tallahassee? U can’t actually get there from anywhere in the state. Florida has a great recruiting base but just as an example, I live in Tampa and it takes me longer to get to Tallahassee than it does to NY, Philly, Houston or Chicago. There’s a couple crop dusters a day that fly in there. Not a problem for the coach on his jet but not exactly user friendly.