screen-shot-2016-12-31-at-1-47-02-pm

Few people were as frustrated as Mark Stoops during the first half of today’s game, especially after two defensive linemen went down with injuries, a result of Georgia Tech’s offensive line cut blocking (which, yes, is legal). While Alvonte Bell was being helped to the sidelines, Stoops engaged in a shouting match with Georgia Tech’s Paul Johnson:

After the game, Stoops was asked about his interaction with Johnson, and implied that his problem wasn’t with Georgia Tech’s head coach, but rather with his staff.

“No, not at all,” Stoops said when asked if he was upset with Georgia Tech’s blocking. “I was upset with somebody saying something to me. I have great respect for Coach Johnson, but nobody else on that sideline is going to say a word to me.”

Later in the press conference, Stoops was asked to elaborate. He did not.

“No,” Stoops said, adding after a long pause, “I will say this: I care about my players and I’m going to go check on them. I didn’t accuse anybody of doing anything illegal. I have great respect for Coach Johnson and I will talk to him; he and I have a great relationship. Again, nobody else over there is going to say a word to me.”

Um, I’d like to know more, please.

12 Comments for Stoops fine with Paul Johnson, but “nobody else on that sideline is going to say a word to me”

1. youwillnot
    3:37 pm December 31, 2016 Permalink

Stoops is such a tough guy. I wonder if he will wait for the GT coaching staff behind the stadium.

• UK Big Board Update
      3:45 pm December 31, 2016 Permalink

You do realize your Tards took an ass-beating today, correct?

What an epic collapse to a season LOL. 😉

• youwillnot
      3:52 pm December 31, 2016 Permalink

UK Alum with football season tickets. But that’s a nice try, KSR mall cop.

• Fake Donald Trump
      4:13 pm December 31, 2016 Permalink

The parking lot, happy gilmore style, is a great possibility too.

• BBN in H-Town
      4:32 pm December 31, 2016 Permalink

“Who the f*** is that guy???”

• UK Big Board Update
      5:13 pm December 31, 2016 Permalink

Yeah, thats what they all say…..

You get super butt hurt when someone calls you out. LOL

• UK Big Board Update
      5:35 pm December 31, 2016 Permalink

Anyone see Petrino’s epic collapse this year?

15 NFL Draft picks and a Heisman winner, and ZERO National Titles (let alone CFP) to show for it…. 🙁

2. Ridge Runner
    4:16 pm December 31, 2016 Permalink

I don’t get it then. Why is he reacting and responding to anyone other than the other teams head coach and referees in any circumstance.

3. unbridled
    5:02 pm December 31, 2016 Permalink

Mark stoops looks small when he acts like this. It’s cut blocking. It’s legal. It’s football. Teach your guys how to get low, get their hands out, and move their feet. Quit crying.

• UK Big Board Update
      5:47 pm December 31, 2016 Permalink

You tell ’em, tough guy.

• Hartline
      7:13 pm December 31, 2016 Permalink

Byahhh! Just like leaving kids with no education in Eastern Kentucky!

4. UKfan4TwoDecades
    3:32 am January 1, 2017 Permalink

I have been a UK fan, being born and raised in Kentucky, since 1962 and I have seen or listened to the majority of UK football and basketball games. I rode the emotional roller coaster of terrible games, upsets, let downs, “wait until next year” mantra until I was violently sick of hearing it, head coaches changing, etc.

I believe that as of right now UK, with Coach Stoops and most of his staff, is on a path that could bring UK greater success in 2017 and, if it is managed correctly and with hard work and passion, lay the foundation for wins regardless of who UK lines up against.

I wanted UK to win today, and having lived in the Washington DC area for half of my life there have been thousands and thousands of times UK football has been mocked – laughed at – verbally and online, but UK lost to a good Georgia Tech team.

Prior to being diagnosed, and battling, with cancer the outcome of the UK football games were more severe but now everything is put in its proper order. Sports can be a positive distraction and is socially beneficial and kudos to Matt and everyone at KSR a site that I enjoy and let others in this area know about.

But, I remain frustrated as to the pattern UK football has had all my life of making boneheaded fundamental lacking schemes. In this case why in the world Snell did not get the ball over and over is nothing short of incompetence. The excuse seems to be “lack of plays” but if Snell did 75% of what he has done all season UK would have had more plays. More opportunities to score. And the domino effect benefiting every aspect of the team. Fans deserve more and the UK players do as well. We have to hold UK coaches accountable for these severe lack of judgment and I believe that if other SEC teams had Snell they would have found a way to make him a priority.

If UK shores up the fundamentals – gets a quarterback that can pass successfully game after game and is a threat to run – recruits successfully in the Commonwealth of Kentucky (and where they already are) – and works hard on the offseason 2017 will be a good year to be a UK football fan. Regardless I have closets full of UK attire that I wear proudly and will continue to do so as well as root for UK to win not just in basketball (who doesn’t ?) but in every sport.

And those who attend Kentucky for higher education I applaud you and wish you great success as being a UK fan involves supporting/rooting for every student…athlete or non-athlete.

KRS you all did a great job all year and I wish you, KRS members, and UK fans a Happy New Year 2017.