Stoops explains absence of three key linebackers

With Kentucky’s defense stopping just about everything UT Martin threw its way, you may not have noticed that three of the Cats’ best linebackers were missing from action. Chris Oats and DeAndre Square did not play at all, and Kash Daniel did not return after halftime. What’s up with that?

Mark Stoops said afterward that Chris Oats’ absence was due to a violation of team rules. Stoops would not elaborate on said violation of the rules, but did clear things up by calling it a one-game suspension and that he will have Oats back on the field for Monday’s practice.

DeAndre Square, on the other hand, did not dress due to a minor injury; a “stinger,” Stoops called it. “He should be back,” Stoops said of his sophomore linebacker. “He would have played and could have played, but we tried to get through it without him. And if he could have played, he would have… I’m glad we kept him fresh.”

As for Kash Daniel, there is something up with UK’s senior linebacker. He started the game and made four tackles in the first half, but stayed in the locker room for the second half with what the radio broadcast called a “non-medical” issue. Stoops did not address the matter after the game, which leaves fans wondering what’s going on with the fan favorite, only a week before his Senior Day.

Article written by Drew Franklin

15 Comments for Stoops explains absence of three key linebackers

1. cats646
    8:29 pm November 23, 2019 Permalink

Kash, whatever you’re going through you’ll pull through it brother! Come out and play your best in your last game at commonwealth!! We love you man!!
    GO CATS!!

2. zoupman
    8:54 pm November 23, 2019 Permalink

What a lack of information in this article. Give us some info or don’t waste are time.

• malibuken
      9:12 pm November 23, 2019 Permalink

Waste *our* time

And they did give info. 3 linebackers didn’t play. One because of team rules, second because of injury and the third didn’t after the half. Do you want them to make up the reasons they weren’t given?

• BuzzedBaker
      8:39 am November 24, 2019 Permalink

Waste your time?!?!? You’re reading a college sports fan blog on a Saturday night… what the heck else do you have to do that you couldn’t spare 3 minutes to read an article that you sought out on your own freewill?

• makeitstop
      9:00 am November 24, 2019 Permalink

Buzzed with the best reply of the day. It would’ve been easier to just “like” it but u know, that’ll be in the next upgrade.

3. truebluefootballfan
    9:43 pm November 23, 2019 Permalink

Not sure it had anything to do with it but I noticed when Kash laid that nasty hit knocking the dude out of bounds towards the end of the 2nd quarter, there were words exchanged that ended in Kash being pushed away by a teammate. Kash seemed to angrily shove his teammate back. Happened on the edge of the frame as the camera started to pan back to the field but it definitely did catch my attention.

• BTownUKFan
      11:33 pm November 23, 2019 Permalink

I noticed the same thing. It also look like he said something to one of the other UTM players on the way back to the huddle. Maybe a little too hyped up for the game. GO CATS !!

• ibescootch
      4:17 am November 24, 2019 Permalink

Yeah, I saw that too. Wasn’t able to rewindh

• ibescootch
      4:19 am November 24, 2019 Permalink

to see what actually happened. At first glance it looked like he thought his teammate was a UTM player and shoved him back. I have noticed the past few games he’s pretty much disappeared. Haven’t looked at stats, but I don’t feel like I’ve heard his name called for tackles more than a handful of times the past few weeks.

4. bbn606
    10:28 pm November 23, 2019 Permalink

Kash’s flame is burning out. I just hope he doesn’t poison this team during the last two games. It may be time for him to go fishing.

5. Matt10
    10:52 pm November 23, 2019 Permalink

I can’t believe KSR did this big website renovation and there’s still no like button.

6. Hot Stuff Eddie Gilbert
    11:52 pm November 23, 2019 Permalink

Seems like roid rage.

7. notFromhere
    12:14 am November 24, 2019 Permalink

He’s got one more game left in Commonwealth Stadium. It’s not easy to face leaving something you’ve put your heart into. I hope he doesnt miss out on the last game because of his behavior in this one.

C’mon, Kash. Get it together and be the best version of you, the best teammate, and the best example for all of the kids that look up to you

8. RoseStCat
    5:13 am November 24, 2019 Permalink

Kash is a shell of what he could have become. His senior year has been a complete disappointment. He has been in a downward spiral since the Florida incident. Lots of people jumping off that bandwagon, including myself.

9. makeitstop
    6:05 am November 24, 2019 Permalink

I hope he pulls it together. The Florida thing really unraveled on him and I wanted to believe him. He was not our best LB but he was our most experienced one and he led w energy, but it just seems like his head’s not in it. Reminds me of the line in Good Morning Vietnam when the General transfers the antagonist Sgt. Major Dickinson to Guam: General Taylor : “Dick, I’ve covered for you a lot of times cause I thought you were a little crazy. But you’re not crazy, you’re mean.” Hope that’s not the case here, but that’s fading.