Stoops expects Gunnar Hoak to stay at Kentucky

There’s been some uncertainty over whether or not backup quarterback Gunnar Hoak will stay at Kentucky next season, but today, Mark Stoops said he met with the rising junior and expects him to remain in Lexington.

“Yeah, I do. The meetings that we’ve had, he’s worried about getting better and working hard and having a great winter and having a great spring.”

Hoak played in four games this past season, going 13-26 for 167 yards, two touchdowns and an interception. Third-string quarterback Danny Clark announced his intentions to transfer at the end of the season; with Terry Wilson only a hit away from coming out, it’s nice to hear Kentucky will have an experienced backup waiting in the wings.

[mobile_ad]

59 Comments for Stoops expects Gunnar Hoak to stay at Kentucky

1. ukwildcat1991
    2:50 pm February 6, 2019 Permalink

Can this site allow gifs? That would be freaking awesome to use for the comment section

2. Secret Squirrel
    2:53 pm February 6, 2019 Permalink

Did Stoops already name the starter for the upcoming season?

3. 4everUKblue
    2:57 pm February 6, 2019 Permalink

That should make BigolSlaterMedic very happy.

3:13 pm February 6, 2019 Permalink

nothing makes BigolClown happy

• cats646
      3:14 pm February 6, 2019 Permalink

Actually he did always seem to get his rocks off to Gunnar Hoak BP.

3:16 pm February 6, 2019 Permalink

but he’ll still complain that he isn’t starting.

• CombatMedic_98
      3:23 pm February 6, 2019 Permalink

It’s Sir to you TURD…!

• 4everUKblue
      3:39 pm February 6, 2019 Permalink

Well there’s Sir BigolSlaterMedic is that a pickle in your pocket or are you happy Gunnar’s still in town?

4. CombatMedic_98
    3:22 pm February 6, 2019 Permalink

Yessssssss…!

5. CoachCat
    3:36 pm February 6, 2019 Permalink

I got some news for all the Wilson fans on this site. You’d better pray Rose is a back on par with Benny. If we have to rely on Wilson’s arm Kentucky won’t see 10 wins

• 4everUKblue
      3:40 pm February 6, 2019 Permalink

And BigolSlaterMedic’s uncle has shown up too.

3:42 pm February 6, 2019 Permalink

You can just call me Daddy little snowflake

3:42 pm February 6, 2019 Permalink

Where do you coach, Cat?

3:43 pm February 6, 2019 Permalink

Oh wow… Snowflake… Busting out the big guns *sarcasm font but not using caps and small letters *

• 4everUKblue
      3:44 pm February 6, 2019 Permalink

Oh that really hurt, man you sure know how to hurt a guy UncleCoachSlater.

• CatfaninCinci
      4:21 pm February 6, 2019 Permalink

He’s not wrong. If Wilson doesn’t read his progressions faster, we won’t sniff 10 wins.

That said, I do expect he will improve. For the programs sake, we desperately need him to.

4:31 pm February 6, 2019 Permalink

Cinci you say he isn’t wrong but then go on to say you expect Wilson to improve. Read the original comment again. He has no mention of improvement. He said if Rose doesn’t do what Benny did we aren’t winning 10. You qualified the statement, he didn’t.

4:44 pm February 6, 2019 Permalink

I thought you were leaving lol

4:47 pm February 6, 2019 Permalink

You get a lot of things explained to you don’t ya DP, I mean BP lol

• Realme
      4:48 pm February 6, 2019 Permalink

Uh, y’all act like 10 wins is a given now that we did it once.

• Skooms
      5:08 pm February 6, 2019 Permalink

Thank you Realme!! That’s exactly what I was thinking. There’s a reason this past season was “historical”. Not saying it can’t start happening more often, but man, just enjoy it for what it was and hope we see it again in the near future.

6. CoachCat
    3:49 pm February 6, 2019 Permalink

4everDP. See. I can do it too lol

3:55 pm February 6, 2019 Permalink

Do what, exactly?

4:08 pm February 6, 2019 Permalink

Combine names. Exact enough for ya?

• catsarerunnin
      7:11 pm February 6, 2019 Permalink

Watch me combine something Cat: douche + bag = you.

4:08 pm February 6, 2019 Permalink

Hilarious that this was an attempt to combine our names and you failed lol

4:09 pm February 6, 2019 Permalink

Did I?

4:10 pm February 6, 2019 Permalink

Think about it?

4:10 pm February 6, 2019 Permalink

I knew what it was I was just making fun of you because you failed at combining them. DP…lololol

4:11 pm February 6, 2019 Permalink

Lmao. It went right over your head didn’t it lol

4:10 pm February 6, 2019 Permalink

Yeah you did. And you’re too dumb to realize it.

4:11 pm February 6, 2019 Permalink

I typed exactly what I wanted. Think about it

4:11 pm February 6, 2019 Permalink

Now who’s dumb? Lol

4:14 pm February 6, 2019 Permalink

No need to waste my time thinking about you trying to come up with an excuse for being dumb. Bye.

4:27 pm February 6, 2019 Permalink

#IWon

• 4everUKblue
      4:25 pm February 6, 2019 Permalink

Coach, little buddy, you really need to work on your sarcasm, you’re just not very good at it, thanks for playing though.

4:48 pm February 6, 2019 Permalink

Ohhhhh. I’m not your buddy, that would be BP. Must be getting confused in your old age

4:33 pm February 6, 2019 Permalink

Yes you win the biggest idiot prize, congrats. You aren’t combining names when you’re throwing in random letters that were never there. You just don’t understand how this works, bless your heart.

4:49 pm February 6, 2019 Permalink

Yeah. I’m the idiot lol. Try again.

• Skooms
      5:14 pm February 6, 2019 Permalink

Geeeeeezzz guys. Look CoachCat meant “double penetration forever”. Not agreeing with your opinions Coach, but I figured I’d at least clarify, lol. I’m also fully realizing that I watch too much Po*n Hub.

5:37 pm February 6, 2019 Permalink

Thanks you Skooms. They just couldn’t grasp it lol

• 4everUKblue
      5:39 pm February 6, 2019 Permalink

So UncleCoachSlater is a little freaky deaky and obsessed with some butt action, now I understand why he’s on the Gunnar Hoak thread, it runs in the slater family.

6:46 pm February 6, 2019 Permalink

Lmao!!!!! He wrote freaky deaky!!!! Omg man. It’s just getting sad now.

7. CoachCat
    3:50 pm February 6, 2019 Permalink

Can either one of you tell me the pass percentage Wilson had on passes over 20 yards? How about interceptions vs thrown touchdowns? I’ll wait

3:54 pm February 6, 2019 Permalink

Still waiting on you to tell me where you coach. I asked first. I’ll wait.

• mashburnfan1
      4:01 pm February 6, 2019 Permalink

hard to judge as we seldom throw the ball more than 20 yards unless you count from one sideline to the other. And some may be a 20 yard completion but were actually forward flips to guy in motion etc. We did hit the wr screen for a couple big plays as well but most of them were losses and several turnovers or near turnovers. Also an INT may have been a good thing on 3rd and long type plays where it is like a punt or end of half Hail Mary situations. Of course a lot of 3rd and longs were hand offs or 4 yard routes called by Gran so who knows. We needed to take more shots down the field on 1st and 2nd downs. When we got to 3rd and long our OLine was not great at pass protection.

4:07 pm February 6, 2019 Permalink

I agree with everything you’ve wrote Mash. Some peeps just can’t seem to understand that Wilson can’t throw downfield with any accuracy and very rarely audibles because he can’t read a defense. I hope Wilson uses this off season to become a better passer and QB. If not it might be a long season

• jaws2
      4:10 pm February 6, 2019 Permalink

StillBP you don’t have to be a coach to evaluate this, just watch or attend the games. Look, I think Wilson is a good kid and all, but he is never proven to be accurate beyond 15 yds. It’s just a fact. He’s still learning to read defenses and make good choices with the ball. I really hope he improves as much this coming spring and summer. But please, you don’t have to resort to cliches to prove your blue bloodness.

4:15 pm February 6, 2019 Permalink

His name is CoachCat and he seems to know more than Stoops about coaching so I just wondered where he coaches. It’s funny how you all assume a first year player in a new system can’t improve and will just be the same next year.

• jaws2
      4:34 pm February 6, 2019 Permalink

My God man, can’t you read? I said I hope he improves !!!

4:45 pm February 6, 2019 Permalink

No. He can’t read. But don’t tell Bilas

4:41 pm February 6, 2019 Permalink

No, I’m like Erin Calipari, I can’t read. I’m not even typing this, I’m talking it into text. I could’ve said the same to you when you assumed I was resorting to clichés when I was actually basing my comment on his name, not cliche. If my name was FarmerBP wouldn’t you think I might be a farmer?

4:53 pm February 6, 2019 Permalink

You really are a special kind of guy BP. Take your meds

8. mashburnfan1
    3:52 pm February 6, 2019 Permalink

Really….experienced? Listen Hoak seems like a good kid but if we have to depend on him at all next year we will have a bad season. Like I said a hundred times, SEC is too good for him. Just like High School he was terrible in games vs good teams. Put up huge numbers vs the bad teams but very bad numbers vs the good teams. Now I won’t totally blame him as 1 guy can’t do it all in football and maybe his Oline could not block the better teams etc. but his numbers were beyond bad. For our sake, his sake and UK I really hope the time he has been here and learning is helping him and makes him a capable QB at this level. I’m just saying nothing he did last year shows me otherwise. Like I said at fan day he was inaccurate in warm up throws, no defense and half speed routes.

• Skooms
      5:10 pm February 6, 2019 Permalink

Holy ish….. I’m agreeing with Mashburn! It’s gotta be pretty frosty down in hell right now. Lol

9. krautdog
    7:42 pm February 6, 2019 Permalink

I have to admit, I was a Hoak fan going into last season. I thought he was our best chance to win. But what he showed with the opportunities given left a lot to be desired. I still don’t think we have an SEC caliber QB!

10. recliner coach
    8:05 pm February 6, 2019 Permalink

Wilson didn’t have many plays to throw the ball over 20 yards. Passing game was conservative since we had Snell. Wonder if we see a 2 quarterback system with Wilson mainly running the ball.

11. zoupman
    8:21 pm February 6, 2019 Permalink

So glad Gunner is coming back. I hope the coaches give him a fair chance to play.

12. JDizzle14
    8:54 am February 7, 2019 Permalink

We’ll see what happens come spring, its still only early Feb. I would be surprised if Hoak did stay–he clearly knows hes not going to be the guy, so much credit to him if he does decide to stay. But as we all know, he wont ever see the field as a starter because his style is not what Stoops wants in a QB: a pure, drop-back, pocket passer. This is not the style Stoops and Co want here offensively. U will continue to see the Stephen Johnsons and Terry Wilsons recruited to play QB here–athletic, run-first-type QBs….even tho it seems theyve tried to turn Wilson into a pure pocket downfield passer which he doesnt seem to be the most talented at, rather than calling more plays to more so suit Wilson’s skill sets, like designed QB runs, or letting Wilson roll out from under center and giving him an option to make a play…..but thats a story for another day.