Stoops admits he thought about bringing Drew Barker in

TowlesBarker.0.0

Mark Stoops’ postgame press conference was as somber as you would imagine, and considering the problems UK’s offense had, it was only natural for reporters to question the quarterback play. Patrick Towles was 29-42 for 3 touchdowns, but his shaky play gave life to the very vocal Drew Barker contingent. So much so that after the game, Mark Stoops admitted he considered replacing Towles with Barker.

“I did. I did. I thought about it,” Stoops said, when asked if he considered playing Barker.

Meanwhile, some good news to end this on: Boom Williams WILL be back for Auburn after disciplinary measures.

“If he was suspended, he wouldn’t have been on the sideline.”

Well alright then. This should be an interesting bye week.

59 Comments for Stoops admits he thought about bringing Drew Barker in

1. Tim Couch
    11:54 pm October 3, 2015 Permalink

Patrick is too inconsistent to be a good qb, I know Drew Barker and let me tell you BBN this kid is the real deal, I talking heisman possibilities here. Unfortunately for Drew the coaching staff is still pissed off at him and would rather lose than play him.

• SCCat
      12:05 am October 4, 2015 Permalink

Patrick led us to a W tonight. mistakes were made, but we won. Patrick has us at 2-1 in a very competitive SEC. I don’t know Drew, or Patrick for that matter, but I say keep Towles. We are winning right now.

• ukcats42301
      12:29 am October 4, 2015 Permalink

Funny “Tim” in another post you said you didn’t know either one of them. You getting alzheimer’s “Tim’

• kes
      8:34 am October 4, 2015 Permalink

You are so full of shit! HE will never play significant minutes here and has already been recruited over. I watched him play since pee wee in the BCPFL and i could not believe he was a division one recruit

2. bbn4LIFE
    11:55 pm October 3, 2015 Permalink

Based on what? High school? Cause that’s the last time he played. I wanna know what all you arm chair coaches base drew barkers brilliance off of. Bunch of morons.

3. Jay C
    11:58 pm October 3, 2015 Permalink

Your calling Tim Couch an arm chair qb, the truth is Patrick sucks. He does have good hair though.

4. bbn4LIFE
    11:58 pm October 3, 2015 Permalink

Patrick g-g-g-g-g-got it

5. Homer Simpson
    12:00 am October 4, 2015 Permalink

Every time Pat throws the ball, I’m like d’oh

6. bbn4LIFE
    12:01 am October 4, 2015 Permalink

Couch also said morgan newton could have been all sec had he had better playmakers around him lmao

• TheTruth
      12:04 am October 4, 2015 Permalink

Are you Jared Lorenzen cause he is the only one who keeps taking up for the CATS pathetic qb

7. Well, this will certainly make the calls for Barker get even louder and more frequent.

8. leon singleton
    12:07 am October 4, 2015 Permalink

Towles is a joke.

• Wynn
      12:10 am October 4, 2015 Permalink

come on, man. He won us the game after the defense gave up 27 points to EKU, down two scores. He sure as hell is inconsistent, but hey, we’re 4-1. Doesn’t that mean anything?

9. SCCat
    12:07 am October 4, 2015 Permalink

I will take up for Towles. He has us at 4-1. I am a happy football fan, and i’ll be in the lot for the Auburn game ready for another Towles led win.

GBB.

• GoCats
      12:12 am October 4, 2015 Permalink

People just need to let the coaching staff do their job. If baker is ever put in it will be because they think it is best, not because a bunch of people who don’t know what they are talking about where crying for it. Our fans do the same with basketball as well. They always think they know better and it really gets annoying to listen to all the time.

10. Wynn
    12:07 am October 4, 2015 Permalink

This may be an unpopular opinion, but I’m not sure Drew would have made a whole lot of difference, although I was disappointed to not see him at all. What I do know is, if they had put him in down 27-13, we would NOT have won that game. Patrick did… he struggled at times, but Patty Ice showed up at the end, and I’m thankful for that.

11. Duuuuuude
    12:08 am October 4, 2015 Permalink

I know we paid poorly against a lesser opponent, but I can think of all the times in the past where we had Florida, Tennessee and others against the ropes only to lose on the last play….. this in my book is still an improvement because it was us winning on the last play this time.

12. Cody
    12:08 am October 4, 2015 Permalink

I go to class with Patrick and he is a total db, so seeing him him suck on the field puts a 😃 on my face.

• Sam
      12:11 am October 4, 2015 Permalink

I met him and his family a few time and all of them are classless a holes. How he is still our qb, well he does have a lot friends in high places.

• Heh
      1:52 am October 4, 2015 Permalink

If you actually spent 1,000 bucks a ticket you wouldn’t need to tell us.

• Deez Cats
      8:49 am October 4, 2015 Permalink

There is NO WAY he is a db. He would be torched by any wr in the SEC. He is a qb through and through.

13. GatorCat
    12:10 am October 4, 2015 Permalink

Total coaching staff fail. I’m done as well as my $1k per ticket.

• Wynn
      12:11 am October 4, 2015 Permalink

for christ’s sake WE’RE 4-1. What more do you want from these guys?? Undefeated-or-unacceptable? This is Kentucky football!

14. bassackwards
    12:10 am October 4, 2015 Permalink

You all surely don’t think that is really Tim Couch saying that do you?

15. bbn4LIFE
    12:11 am October 4, 2015 Permalink

^^^^^^^^I know right lmao

16. Andy
    12:12 am October 4, 2015 Permalink

With 5 games in the coaches have to go with Towles but he is inconsistent for sure. No matter how people try to get around that, its too visible. He needs to quit with the winking and get that killer mentality. We should have buried that team tonight but they almost buried us. Everyone that he turned it around after that Mizzou game but now we can see for ourselves and thats what we have.

• Wynn
      12:17 am October 4, 2015 Permalink

I agree with most of that… but when UK was down 27-13 with 8 minutes left, was that not Patrick Towles with a killer mentality we saw? He and Baker won us this game, which we did not deserve. Everyone is quick to blame the QB after a near-disaster like this, but you can’t ignore the poor effort from the defense and O-Line. Right now, I believe Towles is the least of our worries.

• Andy
      12:25 am October 4, 2015 Permalink

My point being having that killer mentality from the get go. We played Eastern, if this were another SEC team, we would have been chewed and spit out. He almost had 3 interceptions. He did come up in the end, but this was a lucky win and even he knows it. The whole offense looked lackadaisical and the coaches share the blame as well. We have an inconsistent red shirt junior QB and there is no telling what we will get week in and week out. I don’t know if the coaches can address that. Some of his passes were off again.

17. bbn4LIFE
    12:12 am October 4, 2015 Permalink

Shannon Dawson couldn’t draw up a play if Bob Ross walled him through the colors. He is the only joke on the team.

• Seriously?!
      1:55 am October 4, 2015 Permalink

And with that statement you’ve lost any credibility whatsoever.

18. bbn4LIFE
    12:13 am October 4, 2015 Permalink

Walked*

19. Frank
    12:15 am October 4, 2015 Permalink

Why is it all of good players get hurt, but our qb seems to always come out unscathed. Seems unfair.

20. DesignatedDrinker
    12:15 am October 4, 2015 Permalink

The coaches know who is better in practice.
    Towles is 4-1.
    Towles doesn’t play defense so he couldn’t have stopped EKU from running all over us.
    Barker doesn’t play offensive line, so he would’ve been under pressure for 3 1/2 quarters also and sacked 4 or more times too.
    UK fans criticize Point Guards and Quarterbacks too much, but at least in basketball they know what they’re talking about. There were 11 guys on each side of the ball that didn’t show up for 3 quarters tonight. Be thankful we weren’t completely embarrassed and are 4-1 with a shot to get to 7 or more wins this year. That’s incredible.

• Jesus H. Christ
      12:15 am October 4, 2015 Permalink

Of course it was Tim Couch, bassackwards

• DesignatedDriver
      2:01 am October 4, 2015 Permalink

Same old drivel that fans of a particularly powerful program know what they’re talking about by default as well as the opposite. Merely cheering for a historically bad football team means nothing as to whether or not the fan in question is or is not knowledgable as to that sport. And for the love of God don’t make the mistake of thinking our fans have any special basketball IQ’s. Lord have mercy that’s just asinine. I promise you the geezers at the barber shop don’t know the attributes of a 1-3-1 from a butch cut.

• Birdman from Ft. Thomas
      9:52 am October 4, 2015 Permalink

Towels is going to get his receivers destroyed! The passes he completed were behind, too high or lead them right into a db waiting to take their heads off. We have not seen a down by Barker. That is the disappointing part. Barker will get his shot and when he does I hope he makes the most of it. This coaching staff picked Towels because of his SEC experience and that’s it. Now how many SEC QB’s make it through the season without injury? This coaching staff is doing the fans a disservice by not letting the backup get any reps! Give the kid a shot in game on the line situations, I bet you will be surprised. HE CANT BE WORSE THAN WHAT WE SAW LAST NIGHT!

• CATandMONKEY
      10:31 am October 4, 2015 Permalink

Bird, actually he could be a LOT worse. I don’t think he necessarily would be but he certainly could be. Towles passes are not the only reason that our running game was sub-standard . Spread the blame where it belongs.

21. Jesus H. Christ
    12:15 am October 4, 2015 Permalink

Of course it was Tim Couch bassackwards

22. Drew Barker
    12:19 am October 4, 2015 Permalink

I am God

23. timer
    12:22 am October 4, 2015 Permalink

Towles was 19 for 23 in the second half.

I’ll take that all day long.

24. Abe Lincoln
    12:24 am October 4, 2015 Permalink

If you say during the week that you are going to put a guy in the game then you should put him in… If you have any integrity. I guess that speaks volumes for our coaching staff. If you don’t want to put him in that’s fine, just don’t tell the media that you are doing something and then don’t do it. It is very demoralizing to the player. How can your players trust anything you say??? 4-1 is great but I will reserve judgement until we play a real football team. So far we have between an average Missouri, a sunbelt team, a bottom feeder SEC team, lost to Florida And had an FCS team take us into OT. Not a ringing endorsement

• BigBlueBlowUpDoll
      12:30 am October 4, 2015 Permalink

They thought we would be up by a bazillion points, not down by 2 scores. Goofball.

• UK football fan
      10:06 am October 4, 2015 Permalink

Note* – UK lost a close game to Florida at home. Florida just blew out the #3 ranked Ole Miss team. I will take the win. Let’s have a look at the rest our schedule

Auburn Oct 15 – took an overtime win to beat Jacksonville St. (a FCS school)
      Miss St – Good football team but got beat solid by a Texas A&M team and beat Auburn only by 8 points

Tennessee – Do I need to mention how they have blown 2 games in the 4th qtr and just lost to a bad Arkansas team?

Georgia – Lost to Alabama (blowout) at home to a team they were expected to beat

Vanderbilt – (2-3) and barely beat Middle Tenn St Lost to WKU

Charlotte – no comment needed

Louisville – got their first “quality” win against NC State. (2-3) record

Please tell me how many games you believe are winnable for us. IMHO I believe we can beat everyone except Georgia at home and Maybe Miss St. at home. Stop complaining about this game. It was a down game for us but we still won. Rest up and prepare for Auburn. Go Cats!!!

25. IHateTowles
    12:28 am October 4, 2015 Permalink

The guy is pre Madonna, and he sucks

• ukcats42301
      12:41 am October 4, 2015 Permalink

A pre Madonna? LoL! Please tell me you are being funny and aren’t really that ignorant?

• PayTheTowles
      2:04 am October 4, 2015 Permalink

I hate to break it to you but he is not pre Madonna. She’s like thirty years older than him.

• tycobb
      2:03 pm October 4, 2015 Permalink

Lol. I agree pre Madonna. Google the meaning youngins

26. A Good FB coach
    12:31 am October 4, 2015 Permalink

Would play Boom and Barker

27. AbeLincolnIsAF'nIdiot
    1:00 am October 4, 2015 Permalink

How many guys make that throw on 4th &3 game on the line!? Coaches must have some confidence in ole PattyIce! He got that nickname for some reason. Maybe it was throws like that! Btw how successful can a Qb be with the Oline performance Patrick dealt with? Patrick made some BIG TIME throws tonight, 2 of his Td passes were NFL caliber throws perfect placement and only where his guy could get it! Yes concistancy isn’t always there but a 4-1 record is hard to argue with.

28. AbeLincolnIsAF'nIdiot
    1:02 am October 4, 2015 Permalink

And for good measure the throw on the run was incredible! Don’t see how anyone can argue with that.

29. AbeLincolnIsAF'nIdiot
    1:05 am October 4, 2015 Permalink

***consistency***

30. Abe Lincoln
    1:25 am October 4, 2015 Permalink

Like I said before in a world where results are more important that integrity ( U of L, cough, cough) KY Football is in great shape. After All 4-1 is what’s most important anyway, right? If we could bring in hookers to entertain players and go 12-0 in football we would all vote yes, wouldn’t we?
    Honesty and integrity are both overrated when it comes to winning

• MaryTodd
      2:10 am October 4, 2015 Permalink

Wtf are you talking about Abe? Stop with the random straw man stuff and come back to bed.

31. Sny03
    2:38 am October 4, 2015 Permalink

As a UK fan/EKU fan I watched the game down the middle…does Towles play defense no…but he can’t put a drive together and keep defense off the field…eventually teams score. I also look at it like this. UK guys are told to keep tempers down from the fight…no extra emotion. Cats come out flat. EKU has nothing to lose and a lost teammate to motivate. Plus OVC team or not…EKU defense is not bad at all!!!
    I think you’ve at least got to get Barker some snaps. If we have an accurate passer with these running backs we can put up some huge numbers. Towles struggles are not just this year….wasn’t great half the season last year!!!

32. Scott Epinger
    7:45 am October 4, 2015 Permalink

Towles done reel gud

33. Scott Epinger
    7:47 am October 4, 2015 Permalink

Also, i think if Barker is never going to play they need to tell him to transfer. Find a guy they like better, and prepare him. Because every position needs a backup…injuries do happen.

34. b-dub Paducah
    8:22 am October 4, 2015 Permalink

I’m not sure who/what was to blame for the poor line play, but we got dominated on both sides of the line for most of the game. Did anyone else notice that UK didn’t start moving the ball with authority until they brought Swindle in after sitting him for most of the game? Our O-line was atrocious until the last few drives after they brought him in. Were we resting people and trying people at new positions on the line just to get experience/depth?
    Defense missed opportunities all night also. When we got pressure from a blitzing linebacker, the QB was able to step up into a pocket and find a receiver or throw the ball away before we could actually tackle him.
    Towles and Baker brought us back running a hurry-up offense. Coaches have to recognize what is happening and make adjustments earlier or we will have some more finishes like the Florida game.

35. Steve
    9:04 am October 4, 2015 Permalink

When is Towles going to learn he can throw the ball away when he is outside of the tackles? He took a 15 yard sack in the 3rd quarter back to the 9 yard line. He did the same thing against Florida when we were near midfield. Tom Leach sees it and says it. He may have NFL arm strength, but his football IQ is weak. A good QB will miss sometimes, but Towles consistently under throws or throws behind receivers. His stats are not great and would be a lot worse if it weren’t for his receivers. Listening to Leach last night, Badet had 2 DIVING catches in the 3rd quarter (1 for a TD) I believe . The Missouri game, just like the Florida game last year, are flukes. They MIGHT get to 6 wins this year but I would not bet on it. This game was a total failure from top to bottom. Kick coverage was pathetic and they need to hold open tryouts for a punter. Foster is only good for 1 decent punt a game.

36. Bob
    9:40 am October 4, 2015 Permalink

Towels is just an bit to cocky at times with some of his plays. However lets give credit to one solid EKU team .They played solid football and manhandled Kentucky’s Def. Line. This worrys me Kentucky doesn’t have an set Def. line this late in the season . Florida was the game Towels should have been replaced that was an winable game agaisnt an solid program as now proven .I am very happy they are finding ways to win but we had the come back Cats in basketball and don’t need them in football . This Tigers game is an winable game and an huge plus for the season.The Off. line also breaks down when overloaded and this is where Towels lacks smarts being in to big of an rush THROW THE BALL AWAY !!!